Ensi + Extreme Ways (Challenge #6)

Ensi

It’s time to get a new challenge going! :DThe Big Goal is to lose weight (by burning fat and maintaining muscle), relax after a succesfull winter with my studies and…well, enjoy life. Yeaaaaaah.

My previous challenge went very well, and this time around I’m ready to have a new set of goals. Now that I have time and mental energy to focus on creating new habits, I’m going to tackle my issues with food. I’m still eating too much, which makes losing weight impossible. (In other news, water is wet.) I’ve just discovered an enthusiam for trying out new foods and recipes, which is a big theme around this challenge.

I’m not having any exercise related goals. Le gasp! You see, I am already active enough, and having a too precise a plan will probably make me go nuts. I will be walking at least 7 hours a day 5 days a week once my summer job starts, so everything to that is a bonus. Moderate strength training twice a week is preferable, moderate being a keyword here: after a long and strenuous winter, my body needs to reload its batteries. My goal is to lose weight, so my biggest issue is the food. My goal is to try new foods, learn new recipes, and make eating healthy so easy that it’s doable even during next winter with my studies (with which I will not be as busy as this past year, mind you…!).

1. Food Check

A few criteria I need to meet every day in order to lose weight the healthy way. I will track food 5 days a week.

- 1500-1800 kcal per day (track food 5/7 days every week)

- one portion of chicpeas/sweet potato/rice/quinoa a day

- Is it Friday? If yes = have a portion of ice cream (hey, it’s summer!)

2. Recipe Book

Try out a new recipe each week! This goal also includes learning about new ingredients and spices I can use. Sometimes my favourite fruit and veggies go out of season, and I’m left with a big �?†when trying to figure out, what to eat. The better I know the food I eat, the better changes of success I have.

3. Åj, det är så roligt att tala svenska!

I’m having some studies in Swedish this autumn! I have studied Swedish for a few years, but learning as much as possible before the studies begin is a win. I am currently going through a grammar book with a lot of exercises, and I have a Duolingo account (I’m learning very practical sentences for University studies, such as â€björnen tycker om vegetarianenâ€, â€the bear likes the vegetarianâ€), and I’m also going to listen to Swedish music and radio while working. For this goal I’m going to learn to sing a Swedish song each week! I did this once with Russian songs, and it’s brilliant for understanding a language.

- learn to sing a new song in Swedish each week

4. Get Rich or Cry Trying

- Plan a budjet for every two weeks and try to stay under it.

Yep, I totally named my challenge after the song by Moby. It's time for me to try something new, which means that I'm going to learn how to eat properly D8<

It is also very much worth mentioning that I am currently mildly depressed. You know, the "very much functional, but feeling low" type of depression that's been going on for a couple of months now (all the study related stress of the winter is the cause). I'm prone to depression, so this is nothing new, and I know that it'll pass with rest and time. I need to take things easy, until my body has its chemicals sorted :D Let's get started tomorrow!

• Like 1

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

Here we go!!

Starting weight: 81,5 kg / 179 lbs (weigh in on Mondays)

I'm having an exam today, but it's nothing major :) After that I'm on vacation until Friday! I'm feeling OK, so I'll probably do a light kettlebell workout later today.

Does anyone have any experience with quinoa? I thought I might give it a go!

• Like 1

New challenge!!!!!

I love 'get rich or cry trying' and I love how you're going to experiment with new foods. I love quinoa! I cook mine in stock (chicken or vegetable), with a bit of thyme and lemon juice. It's lovely with grilled chicken and fish and grilled cherry tomatoes. 

Following along for awesomeness! 

• Like 2

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

New challenge!!!!!

I love 'get rich or cry trying' and I love how you're going to experiment with new foods. I love quinoa! I cook mine in stock (chicken or vegetable), with a bit of thyme and lemon juice. It's lovely with grilled chicken and fish and grilled cherry tomatoes.

Neew challeeeenge!! Welcome aboard, friend :D

Well, that sounds like a great way to cook quinoa...! I actually have vegetable stock and lemon, so I might prepare some quinoa on Wednesday :) Another part of my diet goals is not to be afraid of healthy carbs. Not going to eat them too much, though - ah, it's that word... moderation :D Eat less, eat better.

Did a light kettlebell workout, 3x6 minutes. Felt great to get my body moving, I've gone a bit soft and flabby :D Oh well, that's a good look, as well... I ate a kiwi before the workout, and after WO I had some chicken seasoned with onion and oregano, along with some sweet potato (seasoned with black pepper and a pinch of salt). I also had a side dish of chicpea salad with olive oil. I now have a bunch of ready meals in the fridge that I can eat this week!

I'm also waiting for Thursday... I should get the confirmation for my bachelor's degree :o And, if everything goes well, I'll be able to get student loan on Friday. Gonna make a budget for the rest of the week today...

I had nightmares last night but got some sleep, nevertheless . The exam was OK today, and now I'm just letting everything be...! I'm seeing a lot of positive reviews for the new movie Spy, maybe I should go see it? The weather is great, though, so I might go for a bicycle trip with appropriate soundtrack... I'd like to go check out, how the little frogs are growing up in a nearby forest pond!

• Like 2

Ooooh. This challenge looks interesting with those different goals. :)

Maybe I should try quinoa too sometime. Never tried it, but maybe someday...

• Like 1

~ All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Ranger

STR: 10.5 / DEX: 1 / STA: 2.9 / CON: 22 / WIS: 2 / CHA: 1

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Current challenge

Battle Log: No Quitting!

Nerdfit character: here

Ooooh. This challenge looks interesting with those different goals. :)

Maybe I should try quinoa too sometime. Never tried it, but maybe someday...

Yay Al! I really want to focus on the diet this time around, it's my #1 problem area... I think the quinoa recipe will be my recipe of the week :)

Day #1:

- 1650 kcal, one portion of sweet potato eaten

I did a light kettlebell workout today, and my back is feeling it! :D It's been a couple of weeks since the last time... Oh, gosh. My mood's been better today. I went to the library, got a book in Swedish and drew the War Rig from Mad Max... Gosh, I love that vechile. I'll put it on my blog!

• Like 1

Hi Doodlie,

Love your goals! Good luck this challenge :)

Thank you, Doodlie!! :D The goals are a bit different from what I've usually been up to. I've basically eliminated some problematic foods during the previous challenges, such as chocolate, excessive dairy and nuts, but this time around I'm focusing more on what I am eating instead of what I'm not eating. Let's see where this takes us...

And as we can see from above, I joined an accountability group! I've wanted to get to know new Rebels, and a group seemed like a good way to do it. Also, being accountable is said to be pretty effective for keeping your goals...

I've washed laundry today, and I went to the bank to ask about my student loan. If everything goes as planned, I should be able to get it tomorrow! That would basically remove all my money issues for the summer, and I could really start to get rich or cry trying. My mood is improving, as well: it seems like (after getting some rest and letting go of a couple of things) I'm starting to find my center again. I updated my blog yesterday after drawing the War Rig from Mad Max. I really liked painting it, and now I'm thinking about painting something else...

Getting stuff done is exhausting. Time to make some tea and watch a movie...!

• Like 2

Day #2:

-1750 kcal eaten + daily portion of sweet potato

I've had some strawberries today! Feeling a bit tired, since I'm trying to wake up earlier in the morning... Once my summer job starts, I will ideally wake up at 5 AM and be at work by 6 AM. Love the mornings, when nobody's awake and it's nice and quiet...!

I made the attempt at quinoa not that long ago and like deftona I enjoyed it quite a bit when cooked in chicken stock. I've never tried it in vegetable stock or with any other seasonings, but I do know quite a few people love using it as a sub for oatmeal, sweetening it for breakfasts. It took awhile to get used to and honestly I'm still not the biggest fan, but it's not the worst healthy food I've tried lol.

• Like 1

Crispy "Dance-Party" Kracklins

LvL 4 Bacon Golem Adventurer

STR: 2 DEX: 5 STA: 7 CON: 8 WIS: 5 CHA: 5

Hey there Doodlie.  Your challenge should be very interesting.  Can't wait to see what you come up with.

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

I made the attempt at quinoa not that long ago and like deftona I enjoyed it quite a bit when cooked in chicken stock. I've never tried it in vegetable stock or with any other seasonings, but I do know quite a few people love using it as a sub for oatmeal, sweetening it for breakfasts. It took awhile to get used to and honestly I'm still not the biggest fan, but it's not the worst healthy food I've tried lol.

"It took awhile to get used to and honestly I'm still not the biggest fan, but it's not the worst healthy food I've tried lol" I would pay so much to see this printed on quinoa bags...! :'D "Quinoa, the world's number one not worst healthy food!" Thanks for the tips, JBReclaim :) Chicken stock sounds good... I currently have vegetable stock, but I might have some chicken with it. Gonna try quinoa today, I'll let you know how it turned out!

Hey there Doodlie.  Your challenge should be very interesting.  Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Hi there, Doodlie! Nice to meet you :D Well, today I'm going to try quinoa, which involves using a new recipe. I'm still not sure, which quinoa recipe to use, but I'll pick one soon enough!

Got the student loan! And, uh, a certain Rebel may or may not have ordered Mad Max: Fury Road soundtrack. The situation may or may not have involved the use of the phrase, "Treat yo' self!" It's all very unclear.

• Like 1

Quinoa seems pretty high in calories, but after some research it seems like 1 dl of dry quinoa (80 g, 288 kcal) yields 3 dl of cooked quinoa. That means that 1 dl of cooked quinoa = 288 kcal / 3 = 96 kcal. Am I right or have I failed at basic math? O__o

This week's Swedish song:

I can't handle 1:59... Pumba burps and yells "MAAAT!!", which means "FOOOD!!" and... That's a lot funnier to me than "I'm starved!" :D

Swedish!! Whats your native language?

Cool goals. I went to London and Rome last challenge and now I have an interest in a lot of european things. lmao

• Like 1

Level 74. Adventure Knight. 

str 143.3 dex 134.3 sta 144.7 con 145.2 wis 162.5 cha 151.1 

"You have in you the seeds of greatness and the seeds of destruction. The seeds you nurture will prevail. Choose wisely."

"Spring comes, the grass grows by itself" ~Zen proverb

Quinoa seems pretty high in calories, but after some research it seems like 1 dl of dry quinoa (80 g, 288 kcal) yields 3 dl of cooked quinoa. That means that 1 dl of cooked quinoa = 288 kcal / 3 = 96 kcal. Am I right or have I failed at basic math? O__o

Sounds right to me :)

Love the lion king song!

• Like 1
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Yes, that sounds right to me for quinoa too. It's great cold over salads as an extra protein kick so you don't have to worry what to do with all the extra quinoa! 

• Like 1

Swedish!! Whats your native language?

Cool goals. I went to London and Rome last challenge and now I have an interest in a lot of european things. lmao

My native language would be FInnish! I do love learning other languages (English, Swedish, French, Russian and Spanish), and right now I'm focusing on getting my Swedish in good shape. I get to practice English every day on this site, but French and Russian are in a risk of not getting practiced...

London and Rome, awesome! I'd love to visit both of them one day, as well :) What other places in Europe are you interested in?

Sounds right to me :)

Love the lion king song!

Yes, that sounds right to me for quinoa too. It's great cold over salads as an extra protein kick so you don't have to worry what to do with all the extra quinoa! 

Thanks for confirmation! Had some quinoa (cooked in vegetable stock and seasoned with some dried red pepper and salt), and it tasted really nice! A very welcome addition to my diet :) I took a nap, and now I'm gonna draw for a couple of hours. Hopefully I can go and pick up the Mad Max soundtrack later today...

Hopefully I can go and pick up the Mad Max soundtrack later today...

You're obsessed! I think I need to see this film...!

You're obsessed! I think I need to see this film...!

I know!! Don't look at meeeeeeh D8

... my Mom is currently at the movies with my Dad watching this movie. I've never seen Mom as excited about a film, I hope she likes it the second time around!

ED; Went for a long, calm walk and took photos. After that I ate some chicpea salad with goat cheese, and had a bit of peanut butter. I've had some chocolate today, as well. I need to stop doing that, starting now :D

• Like 1

Not counting calories today :) Had a bit bigger breakfast than usually, so I hit the gym. 10 min of rowing + 3x6 min kettlebell workout + stretching. I used the 8 kg kettlebell to keep the workout a bit lighter (but did some leg exercises with the 10 kg kettlebell). Had some quinoa (sprinkled a bit of grated cheese on top and heated it up, yummmm) and tuna to start the recovery! That's the second workout of the week...!

Tomorrow's the first day at work, and I'm going to let my body rest for the weekend :) I think the depression is starting to go away. I'm doing my bestest to talk kindly to myself, and just let me be the way I am. Just having a nice, relaxed time!

I'd like to try roasting some red onion, beets and rutabega on pan today (I don't have an oven!). I have a feeling that it could taste brilliant...

• Like 3

Lol maybe Budapest, Barcelona, Paris are my top 3 at the moment... I want to visit all 3 within the next 10 years. Also heard that Greece was beautiful, but with the economy in the gutter it might not be a great time to visit. Need to look into this more, it might be specific places?

• Like 1

Level 74. Adventure Knight. 

str 143.3 dex 134.3 sta 144.7 con 145.2 wis 162.5 cha 151.1 

"You have in you the seeds of greatness and the seeds of destruction. The seeds you nurture will prevail. Choose wisely."

"Spring comes, the grass grows by itself" ~Zen proverb

Definitely looks like yo are doing well with your food experiments. :) And workouts. And being nice to yourself!

Food experiments are interesting, indeed...! I'm planning to try roasted red cabbage today :D Thanks for reminding me about being nice, it's been a pretty important factor in getting out of feeling low. :)

Lol maybe Budapest, Barcelona, Paris are my top 3 at the moment... I want to visit all 3 within the next 10 years. Also heard that Greece was beautiful, but with the economy in the gutter it might not be a great time to visit. Need to look into this more, it might be specific places?

Sounds good :) I visited Paris last year, it's a very lovely city... Miss it a lot! And my friend visited Greece just a few weeks ago, I'm sure you could travel there if you liked? Spend a lot of money there to help them recover! :D

It's day #6 of the challenge! I've been feeling a bit stuck for a few days...  I think it's partly because I've been having issues with sleeping, and partly PMS (bloating, urgh). I haven't gotten far away from depression yet, either, and my mood still might drop suddenly. Nevertheless, my energy levels are getting better, and my mood is improving, so it's probably wise to keep things going the way I've been doing them. Just gotta sit tight, take naps and wait for PMS to pass...!

Since I have my two workouts of the week done, I'm going to rest this weekend, take long walks and stretch properly! I'll also do a couple of meditation sessions daily (just 5-8 minutes at a time) to calm my mind. My summer job started yesterday, and it was a bit exciting for me... But it turned out to be very OK :)

I'm starting to like being on vacation from my studies... Looking at things from a distance helps you see better, doesn't it? :D

• Like 2

Did some meal prep today, and took a 90-minute walk in the forest nearby. I'm currently enjoying tea and Orange Is The New Black's season three. Hurah! Tracking calories, as well, and we're in the allowed range for now :)

• Like 1