Hufflepuff Common Room

Hazard

I want to stress this, to my fellow Hufflepuff's; be honest. I tested my 1rm well in advance of the start of the challenge and retested day one. My pull had increased from 3-5, so I was asked if I'd be alright making 5, my starting 1rm, because it didn't seem like it was really my max, if I was able to increase 60%. I agreed to the change.

There are some seriously questionable numbers being put up, by others, outside our house, but the house cup, should not be as important to us, as learning the material.

If we did full reps, to list our 1rm, we're not going to do half reps, just to increase our numbers, we'll do full reps, to increase our true magickal abilities.

If in the end, we come in dead last, at least we won't have lost.

1 RM??

I thought AMRAP was as many reps as possible... I'm confused. Or did you pick a move so hard for you that you can only do 1 RM?

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

I want to stress this, to my fellow Hufflepuff's; be honest. I tested my 1rm well in advance of the start of the challenge and retested day one. My pull had increased from 3-5, so I was asked if I'd be alright making 5, my starting 1rm, because it didn't seem like it was really my max, if I was able to increase 60%. I agreed to the change.

There are some seriously questionable numbers being put up, by others, outside our house, but the house cup, should not be as important to us, as learning the material.

If we did full reps, to list our 1rm, we're not going to do half reps, just to increase our numbers, we'll do full reps, to increase our true magickal abilities.

There are a few factors involved in the significant increases (some of which I can relate to.)

1) When I first tested AMRAPs, I did all four within an hour or two of each other.  If I tested them closer together the numbers might have been lower.  Spreading them out further might have increased them.

2) My test was done at the end of a day that included yard work and chasing the kid around.  Most of this week has been the same.  Yesterday I got some serious rest and was able to up my plank time rather significantly.

3) Everyone needs a baseline to work from. I had a few days where I struggled to hit 2 minute planks, but I would still reach 2 minutes because I knew that I should be able to.  Now that I've gone past 3 minutes, I suspect I will adjust my mental thinking. Three minutes may at times be difficult but I know I can reach it because I've done it before.

I don't think AMRAP increases should be based solely on improving physical strength.  It can also be improvements to the way you train, rest, eat, etc.

1 RM??

I thought AMRAP was as many reps as possible... I'm confused. Or did you pick a move so hard for you that you can only do 1 RM?

I believe Gmork is referring to AMRAP but used RM instead.

• Like 1

Very old battle log
Previous Challenges: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
Previous Mini Challenges: 2, 1

Assassin: Extremely competitive, tends to bust out bodyweight exercises when faced with waiting in hiding, and loves a good team vs team faceoff.  - Alexandrite

I'm finding it hard to explain something in another language :D. But i'll try again!

GtG means grease the groove

I want to propose a mini-challenge just for the hufflepuffers. Instead of only your Amrap we are gonna train our asses of on the excercises we entered in this mini challenge. And we will have our own competition. A competition for who has done the most training reps, or training seconds. So basically it's just like the last mini challenge, we can put out insane numbers promoting the training. With the competition i hope to get more training and thus a better result at the AMRAPs.

Is this clear or does it need more explaining? I can totally understand if i'm still not making my point clear, damn dutch-english translating ;)

I'm already doing a GtG type training. My reps per day aren't insane, but I've seen a little improvement. I'm in as long as @Hazard doesn't object to a mini-challenge within the mini-challenge. :) Oh, and I think your English is excellent! I'm always so impressed with multilingual skills!!

Edited to say that, while I'm all for a mini-competition involving number of reps, after looking at the spreadsheet I'm not sure how well that will work in an individual level. For some of the exercises we only have a couple of people doing the same move, and even for the ones where multiple people are doing the same move, the number of reps shows a pretty wide range. It seems this would only really work well if we split our Hufflepuff house into mini-teams with a variance of skills on each team so that members who are weaker (me, for instance) are balanced out with member who are stronger / more experienced. Again, I'm all in and open to suggestions on how to make this work. :)

I totally second the sentiment here - integrity above all! Small improvements that are REAL are way better than big numbers attained through questionable form. That's not to say that I think everyone with big numbers is using questionable means... beginners tend to show large gains early on, etc. We are all in this for personal improvement to our health, so any compromise in form hurts the ultimate goal.

Level: 3

Guild: Assassin

Race: Air Sprite

STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 9 | CON 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 3

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. - King Solomon

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge

PS: Here's a good article on GtG. The idea is train 4-6 times per day at 50%-80% of max (AMRAP). This is generally recommended for just one exercise at a time, but I'm doing it with all 4 of the challenge exercises with a rest day the day before I re-test my AMRAP.

http://www.leanandmuscular.org/greasing-the-groove.php

• Like 1

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. - King Solomon

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge

PS: Here's a good article on GtG. The idea is train 4-6 times per day at 50%-80% of max (AMRAP). This is generally recommended for just one exercise at a time, but I'm doing it with all 4 of the challenge exercises with a rest day the day before I re-test my AMRAP.

http://www.leanandmuscular.org/greasing-the-groove.php

Thank you, that was very handy.

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

I finally got through the flu and I managed to do my amraps today, and was sorted into hufflepuff! Looking forward to joining you in the challenges.

• Like 6

Level: 3 (EQ) - Race: Wood Elf - Class: Assassin Epic Quest: Rathlan

Current Challenge: Rathlan revisits old disciplines

Previous Challenges: Gaining Control Part 1 - Finding the future in the pastPart 2 - Preparing for Superhero statusRathlan Lays FoundationsRathlan learns to love mornings Rathlan refocuses on focus Rathlan brings it together

(Old system: Level 3 - Stats: STR 9 | DEX 7 | CON 6 | STA 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 4)

Edited to say that, while I'm all for a mini-competition involving number of reps, after looking at the spreadsheet I'm not sure how well that will work in an individual level. For some of the exercises we only have a couple of people doing the same move, and even for the ones where multiple people are doing the same move, the number of reps shows a pretty wide range. It seems this would only really work well if we split our Hufflepuff house into mini-teams with a variance of skills on each team so that members who are weaker (me, for instance) are balanced out with member who are stronger / more experienced. Again, I'm all in and open to suggestions on how to make this work. :)

You would need to set the challenge based on each individual's AMRAP.  

For example:

Take your start of week AMRAP.  Multiply by 20.  Do that many total reps in a week for some achievement.  Or just take your weekly total, divide by your start-of-week AMRAP, and the person with the highest value wins.

Unfortunately, these don't take into account someone doing a harder variation, which results in fewer total reps while still making progress.

• Like 1

Very old battle log
Previous Challenges: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
Previous Mini Challenges: 2, 1

Assassin: Extremely competitive, tends to bust out bodyweight exercises when faced with waiting in hiding, and loves a good team vs team faceoff.  - Alexandrite

There are a few factors involved in the significant increases (some of which I can relate to.)

1) When I first tested AMRAPs, I did all four within an hour or two of each other.  If I tested them closer together the numbers might have been lower.  Spreading them out further might have increased them.

2) My test was done at the end of a day that included yard work and chasing the kid around.  Most of this week has been the same.  Yesterday I got some serious rest and was able to up my plank time rather significantly.

3) Everyone needs a baseline to work from. I had a few days where I struggled to hit 2 minute planks, but I would still reach 2 minutes because I knew that I should be able to.  Now that I've gone past 3 minutes, I suspect I will adjust my mental thinking. Three minutes may at times be difficult but I know I can reach it because I've done it before.

I don't think AMRAP increases should be based solely on improving physical strength.  It can also be improvements to the way you train, rest, eat, etc.

This!

Today I tested my AMRAPs for the week and had a significant improvement in my hanging knee raises, and I know exactly why that is. When I first tested it, it was immediately after doing 20+ lying leg raises and opting to choose a harder exercise I'd never done before for the sake of the mini. Between that and the fact that I did this at the end of my workout the first time and at the beginning of my workout today, it's no wonder I went from 1 to 5. I will probably not be able to increase it much more than that going forward, but who knows? If the guild leaders ask me to change my initial AMRAPs taking all this into account, I will of course agree to it since I didn't do today's AMRAPs under the same conditions as my initial AMRAPs.

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log

I unfortunately won't be able to get in all my AMRAPs by Sunday (the hotel I'm in doesn't have anything in the gym to do pull ups from) but everything else is doable!

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Level 5 Human Assassin

Current Challenge: x

Previous Challenges: 4 3 2 1

"Iron Man's got a suit, and the Hulk's pretty strong. And Thor he's like a god, and me I'm just a guy... Just a regular guy in a not so regular world. What's a man to do when I know I'm just a regular guy in a not so regular world?...They're like 'Yo, ain't you that Hawkguy dude?' And I'm like, Nah, you got me confused."

- from "Hawkguy", Adam WarRock

1 RM??

yeah, I was tired and didn't know what I was typing. Though, I did pick things with low rep ranges, so that I could improve.

I hadn't meant to imply that anyone with high numbers, wasn't being honest, but big increases, seems dishonest. Like, me being asked to change my row amrap, because it went from 3-5. I am seeing things with medium to high rep amraps, suddenly doubling. One in particular, I'm seeing, as something I had known as slow to progress on. When reps go up, like that, someone either didn't list their true amrap, to start, or busted out partial reps, to increase the numbers.

My point is, if we stay true and count our reps/form, correctly, we win, regardless of our placing, in the house cup race. We will gain true strength, since we won't be cheating ourselves. I don't want to see anyone in here, cheating their reps, simply for the competition. If someone does that, it means they've lost sight of why we're even in this, to actually better ourselves, not to make others believe we're better, when we're not.

• Like 1

I am the Brawlus, goo goo, g'joob.

I get what you mean. For me I'm wondering if I'm seeing my own numbers go up because I subconsciously held back or if my body was recovering from the unofficially mini challenge where I did an obscene amount of dips in a week.

The rest of it I know is sheer stubbornness. Oh and new equipment that makes me feel less afraid to max out.

Along the lines of the above:  Not sure if I need to up my base AMRAP for pistols or not.  I haven't trained them in close to a year, but my main limiting factor right now is balance and flexibility.  After a week of stretching, I more than doubled my reps, and expect comparable gains over the next couple weeks until I get to the point where I quit falling over so easily.  What do you guys think?

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Along the lines of the above:  Not sure if I need to up my base AMRAP for pistols or not.  I haven't trained them in close to a year, but my main limiting factor right now is balance and flexibility.  After a week of stretching, I more than doubled my reps, and expect comparable gains over the next couple weeks until I get to the point where I quit falling over so easily.  What do you guys think?

I think it's a judgement call. If you feel like you did all you could do at the time, without stopping, then it was your amrap. I think I just got singled out, for posting my amraps too close to the start of the challenge, so that going from 3-5 was called into question, when Hufflepuff took an early lead. I know I didn't hold back, at all.

I'm not going to publicly call out the one person I'm referring to, just posting this, for our team. If we lead, we should lead by example. If we fall, we still lead by example. No matter our position in the ranks, we should be the team the rest want to be.

I know my amraps for wall sits and planks are more about suffering through the pain, than they are about the muscle actually giving out.

I have a huge variation in effort between my AMRAPs.

My pull up AMRAP if I increased by 1 by the end of the challenge - I would go from 29 to 30, which would score bugger all points, but I would be ridiculously happy about.

My pistols, I basically stopped my initial AMRAP because I was semi-lazy and didn't really want to push. If I doubled from 15 to 30, it wouldn't require much if any training, and although the point gain would be huge, I would be much less happy than I would with a 1 rep pull up gain.

So I'm not too fussed about the 'authenticity' of my AMRAPs, because as Gmork was saying - the main thing about this challenge is bettering ourselves.

Suffered through the wall sits and made the mistake of looking at the timer. Having been close to my previous amrap, I think it got into my head and I caved, when I think I could have scraped ten more seconds out of it. Doing that and raising my pushups and I hurt, now. why do these amraps make me s shaky?

I'll try my plank and rows again on Sunday. Pretty sure my rows will still suck and the planks might make me nauseous, again.

It seems to me that as long as you followed the instructions and weren't intentionally holding back when doing your initial AMRAP in order to get a better score, then you did the best you could at the time and should leave it as is.

I changed my initial reverse lunge AMRAP because I didn't follow the instructions correctly (I counted one rep for both legs alternating rather than just one leg). But if I'd done it correctly the first time I'm sure it would have been lower because it wasn't something I normally did. Lack of experience with a given move makes for lower reps. Also I did a lot of reps between the initial AMRAP and the corrected AMRAP - so my "corrected" AMRAP was, I'm sure, higher than it would have been. That's the price for not following instructions. But just because you have a larger initial jump after gaining some experience with a move, I don't think that necessarily means your initial AMRAP was untruthful. It might just mean you learned how to do the move better. That's where it's an individual judgment call.

So my take: If you feel that you did your best initially under the circumstances that existed at the moment, then you weren't cheating and there's no reason to guilt yourself into changing your initial AMRAP, but if you know that you didn't do As Many Raps As Possible, then go ahead and change it, even if it means a hit to the team's score. Integrity above score.

So back to this Hufflepuff House training mini-challenge - where are we at with that? Do you think we have enough people interested to do it? Is there a way to even the playing field so that my wimpy practice reps of 20-25 or so floor pushups spread throughout the day can fairly compete with someone else with a floor pushup AMRAP of 47 pushups? (not naming any names... but that's awesome Trewest) ;) I suppose if we are comparing training reps to AMRAP, and both of us did, say 60% of our AMRAP 5 times during the day, even though my total reps would be WAY smaller, we'd have the same % as compared to our own AMRAP..... hmmmm....

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge

I missed out on the surprise mini for the box jumps and the side kicks (darn it when life gets in the way of computer time, lol) and the parkour roll is out of my wheelhouse for now. I am hoping to jump into the next activity when it is posted.

Edit: just broke the three minute mark on my plank, which also was one more my challenge goals this time around! WhooHoo!! Guess I better up my challenge goal to 4 minutes now. Yay.  :redface-new:

Level 4 Assassin

Red Team for Mario Challenge

Team Gimli in Fellowship of the Ring Challenge

Hufflepuff Housemate from Nerdwarts Challenge

Okay... so I just did a quick perusal of the other house threads and, even though we are in the lead, we are the only house debating about initial AMRAPs. So perhaps it's really a non-issue.  Me thinks talking strategy for increases (see Gryffindor thread page 3) and mini-challenge debauchery sounds more fun!

I haven't tried any rolls yet (ever) but will give it a try in a bit here. How about you?

As far as "study techniques", what are your thoughts/experiences on GtG vs. a more "standard" work to failure followed by rest day technique? I'm pretty new to strength training and have no idea what works best, but it seems from reading some other threads some people think that GtG is better for moves where technique is more important, and "standard" is better for moves that are more about brute strength? Is that true? If so, then maybe I should change from doing daily GtG for all my "classes" to using a "standard" study technique in some areas. Also, it seems like testing same muscle groups on different days would be better? So, just thinking "out loud" here:

- Transfiguration.......(floor Push-up): this seems more strength than skill? Perhaps I should change from GtG on this to doing "work to failure" a few times a day on workout days with a rest day between? So let's say workout Sat, Mon, Wed. Rest Sun, Tue, Th, then test AMRAP Friday?

- Flying...(straight leg inverted rows): This seems about half skill related, so maybe keep doing GtG on this? Perhaps GtG M-TH, rest Friday, test Saturday, Rest Sunday.

- The Dark Arts.....(reverse lunges): Mostly strength in large muscles, so perhaps "standard" would be more effective here? If so, maybe follow the same schedule as push-ups.

- Charms.(lying straight leg raises): I've always heard/read that GtG is the best way to see increases for Core. True or False? So, maybe follow the same schedule as for rows.

Not sure my brain cells can remember that schedule (I'm over 50 and blonde - hehe) but I could keep it in notes on my phone or something. Open to suggestions and would LOVE to hear more about your "study strategy".

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge

I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but I suspect due to my recently changed schedule that I will end up knocking out the odd rep here and there throughout the day since I just don't have time to go to failure all the time.  Something is better than nothing right? 

• Like 2

Level 6 Ranger

Current Challenge - Scrubs!

Previous Challenges - Theme-Free LazinessMedieval MarginaliaBrandon Sanderson's Way of Kings Theme - AgainWay of Kings 1Top Gear ThemeStargate SG:1 themeIron Druid theme!

2016 Battle Log (Long term goal tracking)

Just my take on things, but when I'm trying to increase reps in an exercise, I go with either GtG or something like the PLP program.  When I want to increase the difficulty of an exercise or add weight, I go with a more traditional training method (eg sets/reps, circuits to failure, etc).  YMMV though.

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Reminder Hufflepuffs!

To encourage you to re-test your AMRAPs at least once a week, at a random time every Sunday I'll be awarding bonus House Points to a percentage of the currently highest scoring students, based on rankings in the Student Standings.  By keeping your AMRAPs up to date every week, you have a chance to help your House gain extra points toward winning the House Cup.

I will also be awarding special forum titles weekly.  The top two students from each House will be awarded the forum title "Prefect of (House Name)" for the week.

I'll be examining the Student & House Standings this evening

sometime between 4:00pm (EST) and 7:00pm (EST).

That's about 4 to 7 hours from this post.

An exact time will not be given!  (because I have a life)

To examine the rankings I will be making a private copy of the

main spreadsheet sometime during that time range,

and whatever scores are on it at the time I make the copy are

the ones that will be ranked for

the Bonus House Points and House Prefect awards.

If you want to be certain that your scores are

part of the first week Student & House rankings,

do your best to get your numbers

on the spreadsheet updated by 4:00pm (EST).

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

1st Week of Term

Awards

tumblr_lpa41ozPTw1qcu40do1_500.jpg

For best showing in their House,

the following students are award the title of Prefect:

Hufflepuff

blkhole24601

Gmork

Ravenclaw

Norgaard

Miska23

Gryffindor

karinajean

Lightning

Slytherin

Laodamaren

Tundralily

For outstanding all-around performance in their classes,

these Top Ten Students have earned the following extra Points

for their House:

Our top student, blkhole24601, has earned an extra 50 points for Hufflepuff!

In 2nd, we have Norgaard, earning 45 extra points for Ravenclaw!

In 3rd, Misak23 has earned 40 extra points for Ravenclaw!

Our 4th place student is Laodameren, bring an extra 35 points to Slytherin!

In 5th place, we have Tundralily, earning another extra 30 points for Slytherin!

At 6th, Gmork has earned 25 extra points for Hufflepuff!

7th place goes to Mad Hatter, bringing another 20 points to Ravenclaw!

In 8th place, karinajean has earned an extra 15 points for Gryffindor!

9th place goes to Emerald_Dragonfly, adding an extra 10 points for Ravenclaw!

And rounding out our Top Ten Students is Lightning, who's earned an extra 5 points for Gryffindor!

And the Top Students in each individual class

have earned the following extra Points

for their House:

For Transfiguration, Polgara has earned 10 extra points for Hufflepuff!

For Flying, Tundralily has earned 10 extra points for Slytherin!

For the Dark Arts, Laodamaren and Mad Hatter are tied,

earning 5 extra points each for Slytherin and Ravenclaw respectively,

And for Charms, blkhole24601 has earned 10 extra points for Hufflepuff!

Hogwarts-Cheers-Claps-With-Excitement-In

• Like 4

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Excellent work, Huffles!!

All hail the prefects!

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Level 5 Human Assassin

Current Challenge: x

Previous Challenges: 4 3 2 1

"Iron Man's got a suit, and the Hulk's pretty strong. And Thor he's like a god, and me I'm just a guy... Just a regular guy in a not so regular world. What's a man to do when I know I'm just a regular guy in a not so regular world?...They're like 'Yo, ain't you that Hawkguy dude?' And I'm like, Nah, you got me confused."

- from "Hawkguy", Adam WarRock