Lou_be_Lou gets going

Lou_be_Lou

I'm keeping it simple this time - this challenge is all about one thing - KEEP MOVING!!!!!!!

For all sorts of reasons the last three months (how did it turn into three months?) have been way less active than normal...... So I'm now really feeling it - figure that the best solution to feeling unfit is to get fit again.

Yeah, cause that is always so easy.......

My cunning KEEP MOVING plan has several components:

1) go to martial arts classes (kickboxing and jujitsu)

2) go to yoga (2x a week)

3) saturday morning = 5k park run

4) GMB elements program - its a 6 week program, i'm currently in week 2 of it - and I'm pairing this with the GMB hip stretches.

For a bonus goal, I also want to include ideally 2 more runs each week and cycle to work once a week - but these are optional and depend on how weary I am, cause starting back with exercise in the last couple of weeks has been wearying.......

I'm looking forward to it!

• Like 1

NF challenges: March 2018 , 12 , 11 , 10, 9876, 54321

Keep moving indeed.  You got this, Lou!  Glad to see you back!

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Movement is medicine, after all.

Nice, simple, clean. Good. I suspect you're going to have a rough first couple of weeks, but given time I bet you can make it work!

I've been through start back doms already......  that was 2 weeks ago, and yes it was ugly!!!!

The bigger challenge is retraining my brain that exercise just happens, no complaints, no discussion, just exercise.

Mucho ta for the support.

You're back!  Your challenges are always so inspiring.

YAY - thank you!

Keep moving indeed.  You got this, Lou!  Glad to see you back!

Great to be back! 

So, day one of the challenge was meh.  Totally my fault.  I let the cats catnap me before work - after work was full of rehearsals, so apart from a small bit of double bass carrying there wasn't much exercise (but bass carrying + stairs = some form of asymmetrical lifting? ok, no - but it is a horrifying measure of whether I'm feeling strong or somewhat pathetic - yesterday = much stronger than 2 weeks ago)

Today, GMB workout and hip stretching = DONE

tonight = jujitsu, I'm looking forward to it.

Cats do that. It's why I'm always impressed whenever someone I know trains and has to deal with that.

today they decided to misbehave around my workout - means they got away with a lot of naughtiness.......

Training is ok - jujitsu last night, where I was learning how to not freak out during valley death throws (the name just completely puts me off......) - historically i freak out at the flying vaguely head first through the air bit of this - the coach was great - started me with rolling break falls, then over folders spread gradually further apart, then over my training buddy, then with a hand restrained, then into the throw (shoulder lock plus rolling break fall) - I did not freak out.....  I'm trying to figure out when I can practise some more rolling breakfalls over things between now and next tuesday (usually have more training thurs, but its cancelled this week).

This morning I did my GMB stuff.  Done.  Next is lunchtime yoga.

Neat! Sounds like your instructor has a good mind for progressions. This is very good.

Forward rolls do a lot to get you comfy with falling. I can respect how scary it is, but it'll help your practice in the long run if you can get good at them.

I love too that he gets that some of us freak out at the randomest stuff - amazing patience, and yep, progressions.  Also superb man mountain hugs.   Its totally ok to slighty crush on your coach right?????

And yep, I will practise forward rolls and breakfalls, cause they are my friends.  Just not tonight cause we instituted mid week social drinking..... it was mighty fine.  And social. 6am for GMB might feel quite soon.....

oh and confession time, yoga was a fail - I forgot that I had to see an equipment demo - okish equipment but not automated enough - we planned a battleships version for them where it was way more automated and seriously cool, and we'ld happily be the test site for our version, but their version, grrrrrrrrr. Not really worth missing yoga for.

Oh Lou!!! [emoji173]ï¸[emoji173]ï¸[emoji173]ï¸ so glad to see you.

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Man, work is just like a ninja sometimes, huh? Crazy. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

Good luck with 6 AM GMB. -_-

6am GMB was fab, it was more like 7am but for the best possible reason - I woke up and went for a run - my short local circuit, but it was a good 25 min at a fairly slow pace (but no walking) on a beautiful morning.  BOOM! 

Then GMB elements and hip stretching, and some neck stretching cause it needed it.

Fabulous start to today!

Oh Lou!!! [emoji173]ï¸[emoji173]ï¸[emoji173]ï¸ so glad to see you.

GREAT to be back!!  I'll have to pop over and check out your challenge!

Hi Lou, great to see you again! You have gotten back into the swing of things with a vengance.

I love too that he gets that some of us freak out at the randomest stuff - amazing patience, and yep, progressions.  Also superb man mountain hugs.   Its totally ok to slighty crush on your coach right?????

And yep, I will practise forward rolls and breakfalls, cause they are my friends.  Just not tonight cause we instituted mid week social drinking..... it was mighty fine.  And social. 6am for GMB might feel quite soon.....

He sounds like a wonderful coach. Absolutely, rolls and breakfalls are your friends. One idea the someone shared recently - when you don't have access or time to train, watch a video of an expert doing the thing you are learning. It will help reinforce the pattern in your brain.

6am GMB was fab, it was more like 7am but for the best possible reason - I woke up and went for a run - my short local circuit, but it was a good 25 min at a fairly slow pace (but no walking) on a beautiful morning.  BOOM! 

Then GMB elements and hip stretching, and some neck stretching cause it needed it.

Fabulous start to today!

Yay! You are your usual inspiring self again. :D

• Like 1

Level 58  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

Hi Mistr! Being back feels great. And I keep telling myself that pace is key right now - I'm slower than normal and rustier than usual and all of that is ok cause I'm starting back, and all of that will improve, but little and often and gently and listening to my body will all help........

Morning GMB gumph all done, including neck physio cause its already feeling improved after yesterday's bit......

fingers crossed for gettting to yoga today....

oh, and from yesterday - new collective noun based on my lab having a rounders and frisbee afternoon = an uncoordination of scientists!

brilliant fun, but we clearly demostrated that most of us struggle with catching throwing and hitting balls.  Or frisbees.......

"Uncoordination of scientists" PERFECT!

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Woohoo! Do you think that the GMB and hip stuff helped the run?

yep - as does generally rebooting.  It feels a lot like I'm refinding my body - its still a little bit lost in the wilderness, but I'm fitting into it a little better.

This weekend's random one was shocking balance - friday at yoga I fell out of most of the balances on the right leg, and sunday at kickboxing, lots of lost balance.  It'll come back - just a bit weird.  It meant I entertained the coach.......  Mind you, several of us were having a bit of a shocker at training, so she laughed at most of us.......

I'm still doing surprisingly well with my reboot.

Week 1 summary:

1) go to martial arts classes (kickboxing and jujitsu) - yep, one of each

2) go to yoga (2x a week) - 50%, but loved the one class I got to.

3) saturday morning = 5k park run - yep, and back to 30:01, so more than 4 min faster than a couple of weeks ago

4) GMB elements program -with GMB hip stretches. - all 6 days of it done.

I also went for one extra run.  YAY.

Today was also ok - missed my morning workout because of prepping my house for insulation installation (got everything shifted that needed shifting and or packing = CHAOS), so did it after work instead.  I was very tempted to miss it - but I feel much better for doing it.  Phew.

Going ok so far.  I reckon the key is going to be pacing myself - I'm trying to be sensible here.........

It's amazing how much of a difference the regularity of training can make. It's the power of habit used to a positive end - where you might not have felt right before without something destructive, you now feel out of sorts without something constructive.

It's a good place to be. :)

• Like 1

It's amazing how much of a difference the regularity of training can make. It's the power of habit used to a positive end - where you might not have felt right before without something destructive, you now feel out of sorts without something constructive.

It's a good place to be. :)

wise words!

habit building is still go here = another morning of GMB elements plus gmb hip mobility and some neck exercises.

now i just need to get ready for work before the tradesfolk rock on up.

• Like 1