rabeck facing the choice between what is right and what is easy.

rabeck

Well, since the challenge starts tomorrow, and I've had 2+ weeks to think about it, I guess it's time I post my challenge thread!    I've had a lovely, if somewhat indulgent, 2 weeks off, but it's time to get back to business!

I was so excited about/inspired by our mini, I decided that I'm going to work some spells this challenge.

200.gif

Quest 1: Wingardium Leviosa - levitates and moves target

It's about time I get back into lifting myself in the air... aka climbing.  So, I want to climb at least once a week with body weight workouts thrown in for a total of 3 climbing sessions or workouts a week.

200.gif

Quest 2: Aguamenti - Water Conjuring

I've been doing pretty well with drinking enough water lately, but there are still days when I have almost nothing.  To make it easier to measure, I got a 74.4 oz water bottle.  I don't need to drink all of that because I also have a fair amount of water in the foods I eat, but I'm going to aim for at least 60 oz a day.  I'll figure out exactly how much of the bottle that is.  I had thought about requiring it every day, but I'm afraid that's setting myself up for failure... so we'll say 6 days a week.

tumblr_inline_mtjprgT7yp1s9oxu7.gif

Quest 3: Alohomora - Unlocking/Opening

This quest is all about flexibility - or joint "opening" ;) - and balancing.  I want to do 30 10 minutes of flexibility and/or arm balances 3 times a week every day, preferably opposite the days I do my workouts.  Specifically I'm going to work on crow, handstands, splits, and touching my toes.  Last challenge, just for funsies I worked a bit on crow.  I am able to stay on my hands for at least a few seconds and feel balanced, but my form is nowhere near the ideal.

tumblr_lrya3ef3hE1ql0adio1_500.gif

Quest 4: Arapneo - clears target's airway

So this is a bit of a stretch... but this is my food goal, where I'm going to keep my airway clear by not eating too much.  Or something like that.  Anywho, I had really debated having a diet goal at all because I felt too restricted last challenge, but during the bye weeks, I went a bit overboard living free, so I want to have something in here to keep my on track.  I'm going for an 80/20 thing with the NF Paleo Plus diet, so that's about 17 meals out of 21 each week that should be on the stricter side.

tumblr_m4iu0m9tW71rwcc6bo3_500.gif

Life Quest 1: Prior Incantato - conjures echo of the last spell cast

This is my reading quest... where I read... echos of things written prior.  Anyway, I want to read for at least a half hour 4 times a week 2 hours a week.  Ideally I'd like to finally finish the LOTR.  I've gotten halfway through the Two Towers twice in my life... this time I will pass this hurdle and finish them!

7c4e8f3b7026bb658047cf000db4feda.jpg

Life Quest 2: Nox - lights out

I will get in bed by 10:30 at least 4 nights a week.  I don't have to sleep right away, but I need to start the process.  

tumblr_lqa39q7KyC1qbrxslo1_r1_500.gif

I'm probably going to tweak this a bit over the next few days as I see how the week plays out (and as I am hit by formatting inspiration), but at least I'm ready to go for tomorrow.

Good luck everyone!

large.png

• Like 6

Level 3 Human Assassin

Challenges: 21

Thanks! Subbed back.  I was actually reading your challenge earlier and getting more inspired to try slack lining, among other things.  It's funny, all the things you're doing and slack lining is getting all the attention lol.

Level 3 Human Assassin

Hey!

Quest 2: Aguamenti - Water Conjuring

I've been doing pretty well with drinking enough water lately, but there are still days when I have almost nothing.  To make it easier to measure, I got a 74.4 oz water bottle.  I don't need to drink all of that because I also have a fair amount of water in the foods I eat, but I'm going to aim for at least 60 oz a day.  I'll figure out exactly how much of the bottle that is.  I had thought about requiring it every day, but I'm afraid that's setting myself up for failure... so we'll say 6 days a week.

tumblr_inline_mtjprgT7yp1s9oxu7.gif

Oh boy, I think during the summer of 2014 I was drinking something like 12 bottles a day (8 oz. each). Now I think I drink at least 6 or 7 a day. I used to hate water and drank a ton of soda all the time (I think I told that story once before, so no wall of text this time), but now I freaking love water. The more you drink, the more you'll want. Essentially, you have to get yourself addicted to water.

NNSSL8M.gif

Life Quest 1: Prior Incantato - conjures echo of the last spell cast

This is my reading quest... where I read... echos of things written prior.  Anyway, I want to read for at least a half hour 4 times a week.  Ideally I'd like to finally finish the LOTR.  I've gotten halfway through the Two Towers twice in my life... this time I will pass this hurdle and finish them!

7c4e8f3b7026bb658047cf000db4feda.jpg

Oooooo, ya know that reminds me that I have yet to read the rest of LOTR. I have read FOTR, but not the rest. It's mostly because of an issue that I have with trilogies. I think i've only ever finished one. It's not a trilogy, but for example, i've never finished Harry Potter. Nope. Read everything else, except the Deathly Hallows. LOTR > Harry Potter anyway. :D

Life Quest 2: Nox - lights out

I will get in bed by 10:30 at least 4 nights a week.  I don't have to sleep right away, but I need to start the process.  

tumblr_lqa39q7KyC1qbrxslo1_r1_500.gif

I like sleep, sleep is nice. Gonna set an alarm for 9:30 tonight. I've been staying up the last three days, BUT I did finally finish the website that I mentioned in my last challenge.

I like your goals and I think you're going to scale them easily (pun intended, of course)! Let's see what you can do!!

Edit: Hail Grammar!

• Like 1

I've had a similar experience with water as Buckswrath. I used to hardly drink it, now if I have less than 64 oz in a day I feel so thirsty.

How+i+feel+the+day+after+drinking_26ddb0

It's so bad that I had to limit my water intake last week for a drug screening for my new job. I was worried that with all the water I drink, they'd think I was trying to dilute my results (which I read is a thing). I really cannot get enough. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

"How does one become a butterfly? You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar."

-Chouji Akimichi 

33.33%
33.33%

BBWW: 6 of 18

37.5%
37.5%

Yoga: 9 of 24

46.15%
46.15%

Brown bag lunch: 12 of 26

Current

Hey!

Oh boy, I think during the summer of 2014 I was drinking something like 12 bottles a day (8 oz. each). Now I think I drink at least 6 or 7 a day. I used to hate water and drank a ton of soda all the time (I think I told that story once before, so no wall of text this time), but now I freaking love water. The more you drink, the more you'll want. Essentially, you have to get yourself addicted to water.

NNSSL8M.gif

Oooooo, ya know that reminds me that I have yet to read the rest of LOTR. I have read FOTR, but not the rest. It's mostly because of an issue that I have with trilogies. I think i've only ever finished one. It's not a trilogy, but for example, i've never finished Harry Potter. Nope. Read everything else, except the Deathly Hallows. LOTR > Harry Potter anyway. :D

I like sleep, sleep is nice. Gonna set an alarm for 9:30 tonight. I've been staying up the last three days, BUT I did finally finish the website that I mentioned in my last challenge.

I like your goals and I think you're going to scale them easily (pun intended, of course)! Let's see what you can do!!

Edit: Hail Grammar!

I've had a similar experience with water as Buckswrath. I used to hardly drink it, now if I have less than 64 oz in a day I feel so thirsty.

How+i+feel+the+day+after+drinking_26ddb0

It's so bad that I had to limit my water intake last week for a drug screening for my new job. I was worried that with all the water I drink, they'd think I was trying to dilute my results (which I read is a thing). I really cannot get enough. 

giphy.gif

Yeah, right before the last challenge, I gave everything else up (except occasionally tea and almond milk).  But I still have days where I just... don't drink much.  Then they are other days where I'll drink way more.  Who knows.  Bodies, amiright?  Now, the only times I have soda are stealing a sip of J's when we're out, and honestly... it doesn't taste good anymore, although I haven't tried root beer yet... fingers crossed on that one, because it's my fav.  

Bucks, I have no idea how you haven't finished any!  The suspense would kill me lol.  I have been known to run out to book stores immediately after finishing a book to get the next in the series.  I'm also a bit obsessive lol.

And yes... sleep is amazing.  My dog has not been kind to me lately in that regards... but we're working on it.  I hate that I need so much sleep... but better to sleep enough and be happy, than not sleep enough and be cranky.  Better for everyone involved, really lol.  Grats on your website!

Thanks guys!

Level 3 Human Assassin

Okay, so summary for the first two days.

First day, the DOMS (side note, when I first saw this acronym I didn't know what it meant, so I made up Day Old Muscle Soreness, which seemed to fit, but now I have a veeery hard time remembering the real acronym lol) from my AMRAP testing made a workout seem like a bad idea.  I did, however, make it to the gym last night and had a pretty good workout.  I'm definitely feeling it!  Especially after not having worked out for 2 weeks.  I'm pleased that I didn't lose as much progress as I would have suspected.

Water has been good, especially since it's super hot out, so after any time outside I'm definitely inclined to drink more.

For the flexibility/balance training, I'm going to change it up to 10 minutes every day, with at least 5 of those being flexibility.  30 minutes, even if not every day, just seems too cumbersome.  That, and I feel like I'll make better gains doing it daily.

Food has been okay.  I've been lazy/not that hungry at lunch and so just had an apple with almond butter (this most recent almond butter I got is weird... I need to find my original kind which has nothing but almonds), but I need to stop being lazy and start making eggs again.  We finally picked a stove for our house and decided to get one with a griddle and I AM SO EXCITED!  I think cooking quick meals is going to be so much easier as I won't have to worry about cleaning different pans and stuff.  Sadly... I have to wait a few months for that.  We also went out to dinner the past two nights which isn't ideal, but I think I made good choices, so I'm on track there.

I've gotten in bed at 10:45 the past two nights... I'm going to call that a win because it's close enough, especially for my first two days trying it.  I still didn't go to sleep until almost midnight, but I'll work on that next.  Baby steps.

And I think I'm going to change my reading goal to a total for the week instead of daily.  I think it'll be easier to fit it in then.

Anyway, so far, so good.  Onward!

• Like 1

Level 3 Human Assassin

I think your reasoning to change your flexibility/balance training makes sense. Plus, doing it for shorter periods each day will probably help to create a habit of it. 

Do you like hard boiled eggs? I made up a dozen of them the other day and it's been a lifesaver being able to grab one or two when I'm feeling lazy or rushed. Plus, it was nice to have them on hand to put in a salad I made with dinner the other night. 

Grats on early sleep! I'm so jealous of you for that. I'm going to have to channel you tonight and get to bed before midnight. 

• Like 1

"How does one become a butterfly? You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar."

-Chouji Akimichi 

33.33%
33.33%

37.5%
37.5%

46.15%
46.15%

Current

You know... I really need to start doing the hard boiled egg thing.  J wants to take some to work too, so... really there's no reason not to.  Except the impending/current egg shortage lol.  But you're right, it's a super good idea.  

Level 3 Human Assassin

Quick update for yesterday.

No workout.  The DOMS are strong with this one... hopefully I'm good to go by tonight.

Water went well.  I finished the 74 oz and then some.

Flexibility - 10 minutes, feeling pretty good. Balance - only a few minutes.  I narrowly avoided a faceplant on crow lol so I only did a few more after that.  Then I did my walking-up-the-wall handstand.  Not bad.

Food... not good.  Breakfast and lunch were fine but we went out for dinner (again!  I need to get it together!) and made poor choices.  Oh well, 1/4 bad not strict meals for the week out of the way.

Sleep - 10:45 again!  I'm still going to count it.  I think +/- 15 minutes isn't bad.  I just keep thinking, "Oh, I'll take a real quick shower", and then I accidentally luxuriate.  Last night I got a new shampoo... so... excuses.  

Still no reading... I still have the weekend...

More importantly, I was looking for some Harry Potter quotes and found this.  It makes my heart happy.  Oh, Alan Rickman...

Harry-Potter-Snape-Quotes-4.jpg

• Like 1

Level 3 Human Assassin

Oh, yeah.  Definitely.  I think it's a combo of just drinking more overall and drinking nothing but water, so everything that goes in is actually hydrating.

Yep, so far so good!  I really love being well rested lol.

So... updates.

Thursday -

Because I wanted to do a lot of box jumps, my workout was a bit unorthodox/unorganized, but it was a workout none-the-less.

Water - done

Flexibility - done.  Balance - I did a headstand against the wall... maybe for the first time ever.  Still working on my handstands...

Food - not bad.  I got take out for dinner, but it was smart take out.

In bed by 10:35 (yay progress!) and was actually asleep by 10:45, so that was cool.  And sleep 4/4 for the week.  Yay!

Reading.... still no.

Friday -

No workout (unless you count all of the side kicks ;) )

Water - done.

Flexibility - done.  Balance - done.

Food - Went out for dinner and had a delicious brisket quesadilla and chips and salsa.  No regrets. 2/4 not strict meals done.

Not that it matters, but in bed around 11:15, sleep around midnight.  

Reading - 35 minutes!  Yay!

• Like 1

Level 3 Human Assassin

Week 1 summary:

Quest 1: Wingardium Leviosa - 2 body weight workouts plus 1 hour of climbing on Saturday for 3/3 - 100%

Quest 2: Aguamenti - Water Conjuring  - 7/6 - 100%

Quest 3: Alohomora - Unlocking/Opening - 7/7 - 100%

Quest 4: Arapneo - clears target's airway - 17/17 - 100%

Life Quest 1: Prior Incantato - conjures echo of the last spell cast  - 2 hours completed as of today - 100%

Life Quest 2: Nox - lights out  - 4/4 - 100%

Overall, I think this week went really well.  Let's hope I can keep up the motivation!  By far, the highlight for me was going climbing yesterday.  I was there for an hour, but clearly climbed way less than that.  I was still impressed though that after 2 years, I haven't lost too much technique - the moves all came back pretty easily.  What is was clear that I have lost, however, is toughness in my feet and hands.  I started out wearing my shoes which are sized smaller than my street shoes... and that didn't last too long - ouchies.  I ended up grabbing a larger rental pair.  I also no longer trust my feet and hands, but that will come back with time, when they are worthy of the trust. :)  Really, I just felt so great.  Working out is cool and all... but climbing just motivates me to improve like nothing else that I've found so far.  We went on a bike ride today, and once I warmed up it was fun and all, I just am not motivated to get better.  Hopefully when the trails are finally cleared up from the storms and we can go mountain biking that will change.

My plan for this week is just to keep on keeping on.  I know my goal was to climb at least once a week... but I'm pretty sure I'll be doing it more than that. :)  I am also going to keep an eye on my food and make sure that "not as strict" doesn't always mean "eat whatever you want".

• Like 5

Level 3 Human Assassin

Rabeck, it looks you are really doing great during your first week. Happy to hear, that you enjoy climbing so much. Keep up the good work :)

• Like 1

Iceburner

Lvl. 7 Human, (Lvl. 5 Assassin, Lvl. 2 Rebel)

STR: 13.25 ~ DEX: 6.5 ~STA: 14.25 ~ CON: 9 ~ WIS: 15 ~ CHA: 10

Current Quest: #9 - Finding the balance in mind and body

Battle Log

Finished Quest (challenge): #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #7, #8

Aborted Quest (challenge): #6

"Kaizen!!!" 

weight loss goal (92kg -> 87kg): |----------------------->| (currently 86.3)

waist loss goal (109cm -> 94cm): |--------->____________| (currently 103)

pull-ups (0 -> 10): |->____________________| (currently 0)

push-ups (0 -> 50): |------>_______________| (currently 12)

You make climbing sound so cool! When I read your posts about getting to bed early I kick myself for not making that part of this challenge. I know I could just do it, but that's no fun.

Sounds like everything is going pretty well and that's amazeballs, but what are you doing this week to prepare food?

• Like 2

-Chouji Akimichi 

33.33%
33.33%

37.5%
37.5%

46.15%
46.15%

Current

You make climbing sound so cool! When I read your posts about getting to bed early I kick myself for not making that part of this challenge. I know I could just do it, but that's no fun.

Sounds like everything is going pretty well and that's amazeballs, but what are you doing this week to prepare food?

Haha, because it is!  And agreed!  Going to bed early is no fun!  I kick myself every night for making it part of my challenge, lol.  

Yeah, I'm still not great in that respect on the lunch front, but we made brisket the other night that has lasted quite a few meals, and I made spaghetti tonight which should get me through the next few lunches or dinners.  For me it's all about preparing things with leftovers lately.  I hope to improve slowly but surely over this challenge.  And I think meal prep will be even better when we get back to the house (excitement of a new stove!  Yay toys!), but that's not for a few months yet.

Level 3 Human Assassin

Quick update for the past few days.

Monday: Workouts: none, still pretty tired from climbing Saturday and all of the mini quest stuff; Water: done; Stretching/Balance: Done; Food: had a brisket sandwich, so 1/4 meals gone; Reading: none; Bedtime: I forgot to keep track, but I am pretty sure we were in bed relatively early since we were pretty tired from GoT Sunday and the emotional turmoil that came with all of that.

Tuesday: Workouts: climbing for about 45 minutes, then messing around on their gym equipment a bit (ring pushups and inverted rows, squats with a bar); Water: done; Stretching/Balance: Done; Food: no issues; Reading: none; Bedtime: 10:45 - I'm still going to count it....

Wins: Climbing felt great!  I had some pretty great noob gains between Saturday and Tuesday, whether that was from actual muscle improvement, improved confidence, or a combination of the two, but it's coming back!  The gym was pretty full, but I managed to find a place to hide to do some bouldering to start and worked up a good sweat, not leaving nearly as much time between climbs as Saturday.  Then, on an auto-belay route, I climbed a 5.8 (before I quit a few years ago, I was climbing anywhere between 5.8 and 5.10).  It took me a few tries to get started because I kept expecting my grip to fail... but then I realized it wasn't failing, so I kept going to the top!  I then tried another 5.8 and got more than halfway up before I realized that the auto-belay rope wasn't placed well to reach the top.  But still.   Soon I hope to feel good enough to not try to hide in the back.   :)

Almost forgot!  I kicked up into a headstand against the wall and felt really controlled, and could even balance a bit without touching the wall!
  • Like 2

Level 3 Human Assassin

You are waaaaay ahead of me. I'm so jealous! But in a good motivating way. :)

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

Hey, you won your duel! Congratulations :D

• Like 2

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

Wow rabeck! That was a great duel, congratulations! I love that we both gave it our all. You were a fierce competitor.

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.