• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mistr

Mistr follows the clues

Challenge 14

44885540_p.jpg

Over the last few weeks I have noticed several things that make me go “Hmmmmmmâ€. Some are obvious and others may take more work.

Let's start with the painfully obvious. Three to six months ago my knees did not hurt. I danced without problems at a ball in January and another one in March. In the last couple months my knees have reverted to their previous cranky state.

What does the evidence show?

[#1 – keeping a log is valuable]

Knee PT exercise sessions

September         10

October              12

November           8

December           9

January               9

February             11

March                  8

April                     7

May                     5

I started slacking off when my knees were feeling good. I know better, but I let other things take precedence.

Goal:

Get through the whole PT series (14 exercises = 2 hours + stretching) at least once a week. The next thing to do on open days is shoulder PT which includes a lot of core exercises. If I am good about getting back to speed with these, I will add in upper body work again. The last time I did pushups was at the end of April. <bows head in shame>

+ 5 STR + 3 DEX

The next set of clues are clear but there is more than one suspect. I am showing signs of stress. Clues include sleeping poorly, lack of focus, no interest in creative activities, playing a lot of sudoku (totally risk-free gaming anyone?) and nervous habits.

Some of the stress is real and some is self-inflicted. I could buy more salads and do less cleaning and the world would not end. I like my cooking but in reality there are lots of other options. Just because I want to do a thing does not mean I need to do it.

Looking at the real side first, work is going to be extremely busy over the next two months. The challenge starts with my team of 15 down by two – one left and one out on maternity leave. Another person is leaving after this week and a fourth person will be leaving the first week of July.

On the good side, we already have a list of promising candidates to interview. The best case scenario is that we like the people coming for in-person interviews next week AND get permission to fill both newly vacated positions. That permission may be slow in coming. Under the best case we have new people starting training the beginning of July. That means another person will be doing training instead of regular work most of the time for three weeks. (Spread across the team, not actually a single person).

So we will be down by a third. Plus people out for vacations. Chances are good that I will be putting in extra hours and dealing with more challenging customer situations every week.

Goals:

- Use non-food rewards to be nice to myself.

• Go soak in the hot tub after work if I am tense.
  • Buy cafeteria food to save time.
  • Listen to music when I am working on projects.

- Get plenty of sleep. Sleep = slack. I will cope with stress much better when I am rested. This means going to bed on time.

- Meditate. Meditation time may be the only time in the day when I am not planning or doing something. Make this a priority.

- Practice aikido. Nothing is as good for blowing off stress as flinging people around the room.

Fantasy-induced stress:

I have visions of a perfect house and garden. Of me having plenty of time to read, make things and play music. Under other circumstances this might be inspirational. Right now I need to remove all emotional weight from these dreams.

Goal:

• Choose things to do on a daily basis adjusting for reality as needed. Ask “will doing this make me happier?†Cleaning the slime out of the crisper is not a fun job, but having it done will indeed make me happier. Going out with my family or friends will make me feel better - the dishes can wait.
  • Take time to do fun things anyway. There will be days when it feels like all I do from morning to night is be responsible (Wednesdays, I'm looking at you). Give myself permission to do fun things in between all the work.

+ 5 WIS + 2 CON

• Like 2

I could buy more salads and do less cleaning and the world would not end.

This.  It was remarkably freeing when I realized that a lot of the lessons I'd internalized about cooking and cleaning (make it from scratch!  don't pay for convenience!  do all the cleaning!) failed to actually address the central issue of being the optimal way to solve the problem.  Sure, bagged salad greens are a little pricey compared to lettuce (although depending where you shop, not always...) and they're the "lazy" way to make a salad, but you know, it meant I ate salads every day and reduced my workload without significantly increasing my expenses.  That was the optimal way to solve the problem.  Same with the robot vacuum cleaner.  Sure, it's an expensive vacuum that only covers 80-90% of vacuuming situations, and some elbow grease and a regular vacuum would get it done much cheaper... but it's the most hated chore, so it made everyone miserable and didn't get done often enough.  Everyone's happier and the job get done way more often with the robot, and amortized over a couple of years (of blissful stress-free cleanliness**), I don't mind the price.  Delegating part of the problem really can be the better way to solve it.

**It doesn't file my papers for me, or fold my laundry.  Those are slight hiccups in plan.  But the floors are nice.

• Like 4

• Choose things to do on a daily basis adjusting for reality as needed. Ask “will doing this make me happier?” Cleaning the slime out of the crisper is not a fun job, but having it done will indeed make me happier. Going out with my family or friends will make me feel better - the dishes can wait.

This is a good question.  I should really learn from this question.  Probably lots of people should learn from this question.

- Practice aikido. Nothing is as good for blowing off stress as flinging people around the room.

tumblr_luoxfiNwEr1r6aoq4o1_500.gif

• Like 1

Gaah! Sorry your knees are acting up again :(

Didn't you used to do some indoor cycling for part of your PT?

Maybe pick that up again THEN go sit in hot tubs. Ahhhhh.....hot tubs. :)  The cure for many, many things. :)

Whew. Lots of clues, but lots of things you can learn from what you've found. I look forward to seeing this get put into practice. :)

I so need to learn how to do this!

• Like 2

Good plan!

But AGGGGGHHHHH re being multiple people down on your team -that is just tough.  Definitely needs folk thrown around the room in reaction.

Good luck with your stress busting! 

Sneak those 5 mins where you can just do what feels good for you.

Cheering you on!

• Like 1

This is a really smart challenge. I like that you took the time to think about non-food treats. I'm with you for the core work too.

Week 1 so far

I am taking time to post as one of my fun things for tonight. My cat approves of the lap time.

Monday:

• Meditation 20 minutes
  • Knee exercises (inside leg raises, floating lunges & side-steps)
  • Mini-challenge leg raises 3x10
  • Aikido 1.5 hours
  • 7 hours sleep
  • minimally productive at work

Tuesday:

• 7 hours 40 minutes sleep
  • Shoulder/core workout. Counting toward mini-challenge were 6 x 60seconds planks (1-arm)
  • Productive day at work
  • Finished digging a new garden bed. Not quite done, still needs raking and edging.

Wednesday:

• 7.25 hours sleep
  • Aikido 30 minutes weapons practice before work, taught 2 hours in the evening
  • Knee exercises (heel raises, Pilates clams 5x5, blindfold ankle circles, Cheechoe's hip stretches & kicks)
  • Mini-challenge 4x10 leg raises
  • Adult task - saw the nurse at work and found out that the funny tingling in my right thumb is the start of carpel tunnel. Got a wrist brace. Wore the wrist brace all night.

Thursday:

• 7 hours 20 minutes sleep (wrist brace helped)
  • Fairly productive at work considering how tired I was. Caffeine helped.
  • Meditation 11 minutes at lunch instead of working out. I could say it was because of time constraints but really I had no motivation.
  • Food - made popcorn for supper because there was nothing decent I felt like eating or cooking. Enjoyable but not a win.
  • Adult task - did laundry so I would have a clean gi for tomorrow. One pair of my gi pants have gone missing. That is a mystery because I'm sure they were in laundry that I washed and put away.

Yeesh, have things gotten busy at work. This is scary because no one has actually left yet. There was just one person out on vacation today (plus the one on maternity leave). July is going to be beyond imagining. I hope most of our customers decide to take vacation then. I have a project due next Monday. At this point it looks like I'll have to do it over the weekend. Grrrrr. Normally one of the nice things about my job is that I can work a 40-hour week and leave it at the office. Good thing it is supposed to rain so that I won't feel conflicted about working in the garden.

• Like 1

Aaaaah, carpal tunnel! The bane of all typers! How annoying.

And having to work on a project, with so much flying at you and people getting ready to be gone?

Well, nuts.

Oh well. You just got here. :D

My other suggestion for carpal tunnel is ice.  I don't know why they never mention it, because it's mostly an inflammation problem.  So some aspirin and long periods of icing will help.

Oddly, I found that aikido's wrist exercises cleared up all my sporadic prone-to-carpal-tunnel problems.  Maybe a couple of extra rounds of those, if it doesn't hurt?

I really wish they sold gi tops and pants separately.  I go through the pants way faster than the tops.  (And it's probably the reverse for hakama-wearers.)

I just finished finances and filing and am giving myself NF time as a break. :)

Oddly, I found that aikido's wrist exercises cleared up all my sporadic prone-to-carpal-tunnel problems.  Maybe a couple of extra rounds of those, if it doesn't hurt?

Grrrrr re insipient carpel tunnel - fingers crossed that you can head it off before it gets bad bad.....

Aikido wrist exercises just happen to include a lot of the exercises recommended by the nurse. Funny that...

I have been wearing a wrist brace at night and part of the time while I'm at work. That seems to be helping.

Lost Gi pants!?!?!?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...............................

I found them!

Turns out they were on the shelf in my closet where they should be, just all the way in the back. Hiding. They are being punished by steaming in my gi bag in the back of my car for the weekend.

Friday:

Things went sproing at work. For some reason our instrument customers seem to have problems on Fridays. By the time I left (an hour and 20 minutes late) I was debating between drinking and killing something. I went to aikido for the last hour of class. That did exactly what I was hoping. I was feeling great by the end of class. So good that I gave the last piece of fancy cake to my housemate.

Good thing: one of my team won a spot in the immigration lottery! We get to keep him!

This was the reason my boss picked up a fancy cake from the bakery.

• I also did PT at lunch. This is my second week of getting back to regular knee exercises. I am starting to feel like I am making progress again. In April and May I felt like I was treading water or backsliding. My left knee is still twingey for no obvious reason, but it is no longer aching at night.
  • 7.5 hours sleep.
  • No meditation.

Saturday:

• 8.75 hours sleep
  • Finished PT exercises for the week
  • 15 minutes meditation

many tasks:

• Made hot fudge sauce from scratch (Ben & Jerry's recipe). Time consuming but worth it
  • grocery shopping
  • laundry. Finally washed the pillows that have been sitting on the weight bench in the laundry room for months  (which shows how much use it gets :P)
  • Got out a bottle of sparkling wine, a card and a gift for a friend's housewarming
  • soaked shower curtain in bleach and vinegar. Scrubbed and rinsed it, then scrubbed bathtub.  Victory over mildew!
  • Made double batch of fruit salsa with 4 mangos, 4 peaches and 1/2 c fresh pineapple. All the fruit had been on the kitchen counter for days and needed to be used. It took me 2 hours to cut it all up.
  • Got a burger from Culver's for dinner. See all cooking time spent making salsa above.
  • Washed dishes
  • Played piano for the first time in ages.

I struggled with feeling like I had not gotten anything done. I had to remind myself that in fact I got done two cleaning tasks that had been bugging me, cooking that needed to be done before the food went bad and regular weekend chores (laundry, groceries and dishes). I played sudoku a few times. I still have mixed feelings about that. At least it is not addictive like regular computer games. Playing piano instead was a big win.

Sunday (so far):

• 8.5 hours sleep
  • Meditation 24 minutes
  • Baked bars and made iced tea to take to dancing
  • Made hard boiled eggs
  • Made a smoothie with the last two peaches.
  • Set up a pork butt in the crock pot to make pulled pork
  • Got fresh lettuce at the farmer's market.
  • Got chicken and cole slaw at the deli to save cooking time.
  • Packed up papers and gifts to send to my brother in Boston. Turns out the local UPS store is closed Sunday. This still counts as a big guilt item crossed off the list.
  • Updated finances, filed papers and paid bills. Another guilt item crossed off.

Have not started the project from work yet. The sun has come out and I would much rather go work in the garden. Blah. Under other circumstances I would skip dancing tonight. I have to go because I signed up to bring treats. Tonight is social dancing with no teaching. My plan is to leave after the break and work on my project then. The astute among you might notice how many other dreaded tasks I am getting done while putting off doing the project from work. Weeding in the hot humid garden is looking better and better. :D

Sorry I am totally behind on reading and comments on your threads. I am saving that for a break at work tomorrow.

• Like 3

I really wish they sold gi tops and pants separately.  I go through the pants way faster than the tops.  (And it's probably the reverse for hakama-wearers.)

Actually, no. The knees hold up better with the extra layer from the hakama. I find my gi pants wear out at the waist. The fabric gets frayed from being gathered so much. Last summer I did a major resurection of two pair of gi pants. I used a third pair as a fabric donor. I took out the frayed waist area completely and replaced it. My older gi tops are getting pretty ratty too. The fabric is just starting to fall apart. My partner says that wearing a tattered gi is a sign of practing a long time and commands respect. That may be true. I think it is a sign of doing laundry regularly. Unlike certain dojo members who should know better. When my belt fades to grey that will be a sign. It only gets washed a couple times a year.

The astute among you might notice how many other dreaded tasks I am getting done while putting off doing the project from work. Weeding in the hot humid garden is looking better and better. :D

Love this! I'm supposed to give a presentation at work tomorrow. Avoiding working on it, I: cleaned my car, did my finances, went through and printed some photos, did a big grocery run at the far-away store, cleaned my kitchen cabinets.

Unappealing jobs can be a wonderful motivator.

• Like 2

Carpal Tunnel is nasty.  Glad the brace is helping.  A friend had it in both wrists and noted that wearing a pair of very tight knit writs warmers was more comfortable to sleep in and helped.  Would that work for you?

Good grief you get so much done on any given day!  Is the "Is this going to make me happier?" criteria helping to narrow down the list?

We do so much groundwork that the knees go first.  Lots of patching and we can order replacement pants. Good thing.  We go through ~ 3 pairs of pants/jacket.

Congrats on keeping one more team member! 

• Like 1

Hahaha, a lot of us are having productivity challenges this time around, and it looks like the key for you is to have something else that you really, really don't want to do. :P

But still! You got so much done! And you got to keep a teammate! Sometimes you have to have the facts in front of you to confront your feelings and put them to rest. Nice week 1.

Apparently they sell them separately in Japan.  Just expect to spend close to $100 for it... (One member of my dojo saw a Tozando gi TOP selling for the "Low" price of 11,000 yen.)

Actually, no. The knees hold up better with the extra layer from the hakama. I find my gi pants wear out at the waist. The fabric gets frayed from being gathered so much. Last summer I did a major resurection of two pair of gi pants. I used a third pair as a fabric donor. I took out the frayed waist area completely and replaced it. My older gi tops are getting pretty ratty too. The fabric is just starting to fall apart. My partner says that wearing a tattered gi is a sign of practing a long time and commands respect. That may be true. I think it is a sign of doing laundry regularly. Unlike certain dojo members who should know better. When my belt fades to grey that will be a sign. It only gets washed a couple times a year.

People wash belts, and I find it odd. :P

One instructor yells at one of our more senior kyu students because she regularly washes her belt.  The only way you can tell it's not new is because it's clearly broken in.

oh my word, "I struggled with feeling like I had not gotten anything done." - ummmmmm, not getting anything done normally = sleeping in until close to noon, then playing with cats (though I still think playing with cats is an important job because it acts as insurance for sofas and curtains), lounging about, eating food someone else has cooked and then having another nap.

You are an inspiration!

YAY for piano playing and cooking and PT and finances, and especially for still making it to training on friday night.

Congratulations on keeping your teammate.  PHEW.

• Like 1

People wash belts, and I find it odd. :tongue:

One instructor yells at one of our more senior kyu students because she regularly washes her belt.  The only way you can tell it's not new is because it's clearly broken in.

I used to wash my white belt. I don't wash my belt often anymore because it rarely needs it. It is protected from sweat by my gi and a layer of hakama. It probably gets dirtier from being next to my sweaty shirt in my gi bag than it does from being worn.

There are students in my dojo whose white belts are getting gray. I think that is a sign that they don't do laundry enough. As opposed to the black belts that are so worn and faded they are getting white. Those are scary. :)

We teach kids. EVERYTHING gets washed.  Anything else is a germ festival :-P

Huh, I can get replacement pants for 30 to 40 CAD.  I'll ask Sensei where we get them in case they're acceptable for anyone here looking for pants.  I think we use similar gi.

Edit:  http://www.hatashita.com/Store/pc/Double-Weave-Pants-204p2332.htm

We get a club discount off that price.

Week 1 summary

Exercise:

100% success. I did all my knee exercises, shoulder/core PT plus extra core for the minichallenge. My knees are marginally less cranky.

Stress management:

Use non-food rewards - um, not so much. I have been eating all the things. I'm glad I discovered cacao nibs. All the psychoactive ingredients of chocolate without the added sugar. Between the stress eating and not enough sleep my weight is up a couple pounds. While I'm not thrilled, I know how to get rid of it and I'm not worried. This week will be better. My partner is coming back from the second week of back-to-back out of town trips. He promised to take over the cooking. I know, I know, we've heard that before. However, he made a point of doing all the laundry in the two days he was home last week. I think he is actually going to step up and do what he says this time.

Buy food to save time - yes. I did this several times. Not so great on the healthy eating front but a relief on the stress front.

Listen to music - not at work but I did play piano twice at home. Work has been too busy for listening to music.

Sleep - Major fail. I did not get 8 hours any day during the week. I made up some time over the weekend. On Sunday I came home from dancing early and went to bed on time. At least I started this week at par.

Meditate - pretty good. I meditated Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Under other circumstances I would be critical of how short some of the times were. For this challenge having any time at all to meditate is a win. Sitting still and doing nothing is a big plus in my day.

Practice aikido - Good. Monday, Wednesday and Friday plus extra weapons practice on Wednesday morning. As planned.

Bonus for taking care of dreaded and neglected tasks on the weekend. Pretty good balance of getting things done and goofing off.

• Like 3

Week 2

Monday:

- 8 hours sleep

- PT at lunch

- 1.5 hours aikido after work. Friends from a neighboring dojo joined us. Their space is being remodeled and they are homeless for several weeks. They are fun people to train with. I hope they visit again soon.

- I did not get my project done and my boss did not even ask about it. She got on my case for another task that is behind schedule. I already knew that was a problem and was working on it last week. My priorities are rearranged for the next couple weeks. Overall I'm happy about this.

Tuesday:

- PT at lunch

- 6.5 hours sleep. This was not a staying up late fail. Nope. This was a waking up at 2:30am with my brain running through all the things I wanted to get done before work. I did the math and figured out that my brain was not making stuff up, there was no way to fit in everything on my wish list. At the same time my knees, toes and wrist ached and the cat was way too warm sleeping on my legs. I got up instead of lying in bed and stewing. From 2:30-4:00am I washed and chopped veggies and did the dishes. Then I was able to fall back asleep. Still weird dreams but not obvious stress ones.

I finished putting together a salad to bring to work for lunch and cut up cantalope in the morning. The cantalope is overripe. I'm thinking about making it into ice cream using coconut milk and some kind of liqueur. Any suggestions on what would go well with cantalope?

After work I finally got the vegetable garden planted. A part of my brain wants me to feel guilty for doing this so late in the season. I'm getting better at hitting that little voice over the head with a big stick. The vendors at the farmer's market were still selling starter plants this past weekend. That has to mean I'm not the only one who is still planting a garden in the middle of June. I even planted seeds. If I get one bunch of kale and chard and three or four tomatos I will make back the cost of the plants and seeds. I planted pumpkin seeds on the porch in May and they all sprouted. Three of them are now in the garden. Those are totally bonus plants.

The new garden bed still needs the brick edging installed. The weeds are taking over all my other garden beds after the rain last week. All those things can wait until the weekend. Right now I have done what I wanted to finish this week. I can put away all the planting stuff on the porch and have a pleasant area for socializing again.

• Like 2