• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mistr

Mistr follows the clues

I mean, come on. Going with the flow is what you aikido-folk do, isn't it? :tongue:

But when you do, you're supposed to be able to throw something at the ground so hard it bounces.  What is she supposed to make hit the ground here, Kishi?  What? :)

But when you do, you're supposed to be able to throw something at the ground so hard it bounces.  What is she supposed to make hit the ground here, Kishi?  What? :)

Hey, that's not my problem. That's her's. She's the one grappling right now. :P

Crap, work getting that busy is always one of those predictions you hope does not come to pass.  Losing an extra person too.  Not good.  Hope you can get some more new hires into training soon.

Excellent revised goals.  PT and whatever keeps your stress levels down. 

Have a lovely time at the festival! You two have great date nights :-)

I was just thinking...that company/lab would be in serious trouble if they lost you!!!  So, as much as possible, take some time for yourself. You are picking up a lot of extra slack, but there is a limit as to what is reasonable.

• Like 1

^^^^^  So very much this.  Hope they appreciate you for all that you do there.

My boss has been very good about making sure everyone knows they are appreciated. Unfortunately for my eating habits, this means candy in the afternoons and other treats (in addition to personal encouragement).

We are interviewing and have permission to fill at least two of the open spots. The problem is that we have not found good people yet. More phone interviews next week and two in-person interviews scheduled for the week after that. Our target population is desperate post-docs who want to get out of academia. There are lots of people in that situation. We want ones who enjoy teaching and troubleshooting and have good people skills. That's the uncommon skill set.

I know I can survive the next several weeks. I made it through grad school with considerably less support. I can let my house get messy for a couple months and clean it up when I get a break. Even if things get as bad for time demands as grad school, it won't be as emotionally stressful. I have a stable job, relationships and place to live. I don't have to worry about getting my experiments to work or getting a paper published. I've got this.

It reminds me of a story:

During the D-day invasion in WWII, a unit was advancing under heavy fire. The officer in charge asked one of his men how he was doing. The solider said "Sir,this is almost as bad as Achnacarry".

Achnacarry was the commando training center for British and American troops in Scotland. 

As for throwing people to the floor so they bounce, I have every intention of going to two hours of aikido tonight. The second hour we are likely to work on koshinages. These are the throws where nage flips uke over her hip into a break fall. Uke should bounce.

Unless we are working on soft falls, in which case uke should roll off like a leaf on the wind.

• Like 5

Work update: our first new hire starts on Monday. That's the good news. The bad news is that another person gave notice. The last week of July and first week of August we will be down six people: 4 gone, 1 on maternity leave, 1 on vacation. The new person won't start covering incoming work until the first week of August AND training will take someone else out most of the day.

That position wouldn't happen to be for a microbiologist, would it? :P

(Kidding!  Kidding! Kinda. I wouldn't subject you to having to put up with me both on here AND at work.... and on the mat.)

But yea, I hear the terror of being understaffed.  I hope the new hire is a quick study and can get you guys the help you need ASAP.

My revised goals are to make good triage decisions and keep a good attitude. Also keep up with exercises because cranky knees interfere with the good attitude. The garden is probably going to turn into a jungle. I can live with that. Maybe I can take some time off in the fall and clean it up before winter.

Sounds like a solid plan.  Glad you can pre-emptively do these revised goals instead of trying to do your current set and then have to fight for it and get exhausted.

I completely feel your pain on the staffing/training issues...fortunately the skill set for my employees is no where near what yours needs to be! If you need a good vent session I'm here :)

I may need to look into this bouncing people off the floor? On second thought, that might not be such a good idea...

• Like 2

Short update

By Friday I was more than ready for the week to be over. I went to aikido for two hours. We worked on the fine points of a jo kata for the first hour (at the request of my Wednesday morning training partner). There was a brand new person for the second hour. I liked the way sensei showed a complicated technique to the class (ushiro tekubitori shihonage) and a simple version to the new person.

By the end I was a zombie. I decided that being a zombie in a grocery store was a good idea. Friday night is a quiet time to shop and it leaves Saturday blissfully free of errands. Good thing I had a written list. I was down to impulse power only by the time I got home.

Saturday was lovely. I did a mix of fun and useful things.

Fun:

• lunch with a friend
  • embroidery
  • played piano
  • played sudoku
  • ate ice cream to my heart's content (this was my reward for no sugar on Friday)
  • picked the first raspberries from the garden

Useful:

• Exercised - 20 minutes ball wall sits, bridge curls, side steps.
  • gave a friend a ride to the dojo and work
  • short co-op grocery shopping
  • hosed down and scrubbed the tarps that I used for compost and wood chips, dried and put away.
  • planted the last flowers that I picked up on sale back in June, weeded and mulched that garden bed.
  • balanced my checkbook and updated the accounting program.

Sunday was less successful. There is a pattern here that I need to break. I think the first step is going to bed earlier on Saturday. Sleeping in on Sunday feels good at the time but puts me behind on everything for the day. If I don't do exercises first thing on weekends they just are not going to happen. Ditto meditation.

Fun:

• Walked to a park with my partner and picked mulberries.
  • Read NF and email
  • Dancing 1.5 hours - except for the parts where my left knee randomly hurt

Useful:

• Short grocery shopping with my partner. Before lunch. Big mistake.
  • Laundry and ironing.
  • Cooking. Made broccoli salad, started a chicken dish. Frustrated that the chicken was not ready in time for supper.

My plan for this week is to continue picking small tasks that I can finish. The feeling of having something done makes me feel better when so many other things are waiting.

I also want to cook more veggies. My weight is staying steady around 160, which is about 5 pounds higher than I would like. I have cacao nibs at work to counter the sweet temptations. I need to have more easy-to-pack food to cover meals on days I'm gone from morning to night. We bought plenty of veggies at the farmer's market, they just need to get transformed from ingredients to food.

• Like 1

Book question: sometime last month someone here mentioned a good book on brain chemistry, exercise and positive reinforcement. Fairly recently published. The author is a female neuroscientist. Can you point me to the link?

Edited to add:

Found it! Googlefu for the win!

Healthy Brain, Happy Life by Wendy Suzuki.  The review was on Scalzi's blog, not NF.

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2015/05/20/the-big-idea-wendy-suzuki/

This looks interesting enough that I am going to buy it in hardcover. There are 30 holds on it at the library (which has 10 copies). I can use the gift card to B&N that my niece gave me for Yule.

Edited by Mistr

You and me definitely have weak weekends in common. This is something I've noticed my own self in trying to rid myself of cheats and go with the flow - Monday to Friday, I'm perfectly fine, but come Saturday or Sunday, my willpower just evaporates. It's useful to recognize that pattern, though, and to plan around it accordingly. :)

What a wonderful Saturday!  Generally good Sunday too.  That drive to finish everything up one night so you can take the next day off is so logical and yet drains you.  Was it your homemade ice cream?

You must get tired of raw veggies?  I keep mostly those or frozen ones that I can dump in a container and nuke with a bit of sauce. 

What a wonderful Saturday!  Generally good Sunday too.  That drive to finish everything up one night so you can take the next day off is so logical and yet drains you.  Was it your homemade ice cream?

You must get tired of raw veggies?  I keep mostly those or frozen ones that I can dump in a container and nuke with a bit of sauce. 

Most of the ice cream was homemade. I still have cantalope sorbet and coffee Heath bar crunch. There was a small container of turtle ice cream that showed up in the freezer. It's gone now. :D

I am disappointed with the Ben & Jerry's hot fudge recipe. It was great when I made it but it turned grainy in the jar in the fridge. I am disposing of the evidence on commercial vanilla ice cream. I might make fresh vanilla ice cream later this week. I bought peaches to make peach cobbler. That calls for vanilla ice cream. 

Most of the veggies I prefer cooked. I'll eat raw celery and peppers with hummus. I have raw carrots a lot. Everything else is cooked. I use frozen veggies in the winter. Unfortunately I've been spoiled by fresh local veggies. I will only eat organic frozen ones and those are expensive. I try to stick mostly to what is fresh and in season.

Right now we have:

• sugar snap peas
  • green beans
  • swiss chard
  • celery
  • peppers
  • turnips
  • spaghetti squash

The last two my partner got because he has cooking plans for them. The peppers and celery are for snacks and to put in other dishes. The guys will eat more raw celery than I will, or at least they say they will. Eating cooked greens is a new thing for me (in the last couple years). I have two recipes I like - one with bacon and onions and one with garlic, lemon and pine nuts. I'm willing to eat a whole batch of greens over a week.

In happy news, my partner has discovered My Fitness Pal and is tremendously enthused about calorie counting as a way to lose weight. He also renewed his YMCA membership and found a friend to lift with several days a week. He is down several pounds over the last couple weeks. He might even sign up for the next challenge here. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he will stick with it.

• Like 2

Entire post may be summarized as *drooooooolll*

Your ice cream sounds so amazing.  Karina has some neat recipes with coconut milk here if you're ever interested.  Bottom of the page.

The first three stirfry well together. Would turnip make good fries?  Ah, plans for those anyway.  You've mentioned stuffed peppers before.  Or stirfry again.  Oh!  they make great rings for cooking eggs in.

Very cool!  You've been a great influence of him :-D

• Like 1

I like your "fun" and "useful" lists.

I know what you mean about weekends I tend to do a lot of exercise, but my eating gets pretty weird. I think because I don't have as much structure, I don't really plan ahead. I end up eating at weird times, and I don't really have much sense of the quantity. I've sort of tried some weekend tracking goals, but they don't work out too well. Still thinking about that one.

Week 5

I'm still not willing to look at week 4

Exercise:

Full series of knee PT exercises

Partial (2/3 sets) shoulder/core exercises

Aikido 3 days (counting teaching) plus 30 minutes weapons practice

Long walk Thursday, medium walk Sunday

Meditation: 1 day for 12 minutes.  Not good.

Sleep:

M-Su: 7hr 10', 7hr 45', 7hr 45', 8hr 25', 7hr 45', 8.5hr, 9
Much better consistency for the week. A little short but I mostly made it up on the weekend.

Fun/work balance:
Overall okay. I don't like feeling that my every moment is planned, even when many of the planned things are fun. I'm counting aikido and date night as fun things that took up four evenings last week. I did really well on Saturday and less well on Sunday in balancing fun and chores. This will continue to be an issue when I go to three aikido classes a week. I will probably skip some Mondays or the second class on Fridays to have more free time.

I am very happy about getting back in the groove of exercising and mostly sleeping enough. I wish I knew what is making my left knee cranky. It is not the same pulled muscle I had before because I can bend my knee almost into full kneeling position without pain. Kneeling is still a problem but that feels like a stretching issue rather than an injury issue. A couple little muscles on the sides of my knee are randomly going on strike.

This week I will be taking a close look at the fun vs. chores balance.
  • Like 2

Belated cheering for your great weekend.

YAY for keeping up fun in the evenings and weekends despite bonkers week days.

Great call also re triaging at work - plus YAY for your boss appreciating all that you're doing. But wow, I hope you fill the positions fast.  But yep, scientists who like teaching and can communicate - good luck with that! 

Cheering you on for this week.  Your veges sound delicious.

Everything except meditation looks like it's going well.

The knee though.  Not good.  Is there a possibility that you're doing something odd with it somewhere other than Aikido?  You likely pay very close attention to it there.  Or just overall tension affecting things?

Seriously, that knee. :( Wish I knew what to tell you. It's probably better to look at all the surrounding tissue - the IT Band, but also the gastroc and the hamstrings as well.

Still, sleep is getting better and your life is approaching balance again. It's good.

outside of the knee or both sides? Do you think it's the ITB?

Everything except meditation looks like it's going well.

The knee though.  Not good.  Is there a possibility that you're doing something odd with it somewhere other than Aikido?  You likely pay very close attention to it there.  Or just overall tension affecting things?

Seriously, that knee.  :( Wish I knew what to tell you. It's probably better to look at all the surrounding tissue - the IT Band, but also the gastroc and the hamstrings as well.

I can be pretty sure it is not the ITB as the main cause. I strained that before and this feels different. I make a point to foam roll my ITB a couple times a week. Of course, the PT says I should do that a couple times a day

The little muscles that are bad this time are different than the one that was bad last summer. Last year it was one in the back of the knee, possibly the popliteus muscle or ligament. This time the muscles are on the sides - the little diagonal stabilizer ones, not the big ones.  I probably need to buy new shoes. And keep doing stability exercises.

I started taking 1g fish oil at bedtime. Maybe that is helping. I certainly tolerate the fish oil better at night than in the morning. I was getting unpleasant fishy burbs mid-morning when I took it with breakfast. :P

The week so far:

Exercise

In spite of things being nuts at work I went and did my exercises on Wednesday and Thursday when I got a break. Also on Monday at the usual time. Surprisingly the exercise room is busier mid-afternoon than it is at noon. Tuesday I missed because I was starving at noon and got stuck chatting with a customer.

Aikido on Monday evening, weapons practice Wednesday morning, taught 1.5 hours Wednesday, and plan to go for weapons class tonight. Sunday there will be a yudansha class that I plan to attend.

Meditation:

Tuesday - 24 min

Thursday - 12 min

Friday - 9 min

Not a lot, but better than nothing.

Fun/useful things

Tuesday after work I stopped at the mechanic and found out that I needed new tires NOW. He looked at my tires and said "we can get you in tomorrow" with that look that says "you are an idiot to keep driving on these tires". I negotiated for Thursday so I could borrow my partner's car to get to work. Turns out one of the wheels was so bent it needed to be replaced and that had to be ordered so Thursday was the earliest they could do it anyway. That made me paranoid but the tire survived another day of driving.

Partially as a reward for being responsible, I then went to the bookstore and bought Healthy Brain, Happy Life. My virtuous plans to cook vegetables flew out the window. I read the first several chapters and enjoyed them a lot. Book review to follow at a later date.

Thursday I actually did cook veggies. Swiss chard with bacon, pine nuts, and raisins (adapted from here) and green beans with onions. I also prepped the remaining sugar snap peas to go into lunches. My partner cooked pork chops with peaches, then assembled ready-to-take meals. The veggie drawer no longer is full of guilt. :)

Useful - washed dishes on Monday and Thursday, folded one load of laundry on Tuesday.

Fun - played piano Thursday. I amazes me that my mistakes and slowly working through tricky bits does not bother my partner. It would drive me nuts. I also have a plan for spinning that I want to implement tonight.

Continuing the happy news from last week, my partner is still having a great time tracking with MFP. He was telling me with horrified glee how many calories there are in a donut from Dunkin' Donuts. He has started tracking his blood sugar again and it is way down. Pretty much in the normal range. If he keeps it up he could be another of the NF six month success stories.

• Like 3

That meditation perked right back up this week!

I tried orange juice with fish oil bubbles in it.  Supposedly tasteless, which was a lie.  That was awful and fish oil burps are very unpleasant. 

Running shoes are surprisingly high tech.  Hopefully they will help along with the stability exercises?

Congrats to your partner!  Getting that blood sugar back to normal levels probably feels so much better.

• Like 1

Dude, that's exactly why I do my fish oil at night too. I found some good stuff, real legit, but the burps.

About your knee, though... I wonder, does your PT have anything to say about that? Could be helpful to bring it up.

You being a positive example for your partner has no doubt won out for now. Hopefully he keeps it up. Six months of healthy living can do wonders for a man.

• Like 2