Spelozi Brings a Banana to the Party

spelozi

Hiya, I'm Spelozi. This is my first challenge as a Ranger. I think my Recruit challenge went well (hey, I met my goals didn't I?) and I'm ready to prove myself as a Ranger. 

While I look up to a bunch of Rangers, I will say I'm a little obsessive over Doctor Who. So this challenge is going to be a lot of me making DW quips and posting gifs of how I am particularly feeling. After all, you kind of have to be a Ranger to keep up with the Doctor. What with all the running, climbing things, running, thinking hard, running, eating of bananas, handling big guns, oh, did I mention running? Not even running horizontally, sometimes you have to climb over things, and run up stairs (because everyone knows Dalek's can't climb stairs)

doctor_who_dalek_vs_stairs_white_womens_

I have two big goals - because I don't want to have another Crossfit event where I'm stuck sitting there thinking "please no pull ups" or "God, no, no double unders, that's too embarrassing." Oh you figured out my goals? Well that was easy. Really I have 3 goals for this 6 week challenge, and hopefully it will all go well. Besides the general eating right and continuing to eat out only once a week from my last challenge (this last week I had a huge blow out though and ate EVERYTHING. No, I'm not sorry).

Goal 1: Get 5 unassisted pull-ups.

I don't care if this involves me developing my hidden mutant telekinetic powers so that I levitate to get over the bar. I want to get over that bar without my teeny tiny bands. And hopefully the 10 lbs I lost over the last several weeks will help lighten the load. This is something I would categorize as a STRENGTH feat/mission. I need to be able to spin those Dalek buggers around, don't I? But seriously though, I need to be stronger so I can tackle Captain Jack. For reals.

tumblr_mo368onC141s51wdno1_400.gif

Goal 2: 10 consecutive double unders.

I can do a double under, like maybe 3, but not strung together. It looks more like "single jumps, and double under, single jump, DU, SU, DU, crack my shin to high hell." The intermediate single unders have to go. And maybe less shin cracking. Working on that Dexterity skill so I can catch a drunk giraffe.

tumblr_myy8l5ieUY1spwkiio1_400.gif

Goal 3: Seriously study for the GRE.

I don't have any time sensitive projects right now so come hell or high water, at the end of this 6 week challenge I am taking that f$%^ing test. Cause everyone knows the doctor likes a smartie pants. And I really need to prove I can do research for/with the NNMERC by going back to school. My soul is slowly dying not doing research. As a kind of aside to this I'll also once a week find one new article related to marine energy research so I can have more updated conversations with my bosses to hopefully get a transfer within my company to RnD while I await grad school.

tumblr_nn83y6otw21rj7z7ro1_250.gif

So that's it for my first post for this first time Ranger. I'll be taking my banana back now. Please and thank you. It's a good source of potassium, you know?

Am I alive? Yes:

100%
100%

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR 3.3 | STA 1.8 | DEX 3.3 | CON 3.1 | WIS 3.0 | CHA 1.8 

I have a boyfriend, a dog, a cat, and a garden. What else should I need?

Current Challenge | First Challenge

Oh, oh oh oh oh ohhhhh!!! Mini-Challenge, Yay!!!!!

My FEATS!!!!

I think I have three of them already kind of defined with my challenge, woohoo! 

• ENDURANCE: Increase distance traversed in 30 minute running sessions (checked using runkeeper).
  • STRENGTH: 3 pull ups leading to my challenge goal - or depending on the week this occurs, just improvement 
  • DEXTERITY: 3 consecutive - see double unders above, again depending on week, improvement.
  • COMBAT: Continue with weekly yoga sessions, but go at it with heart. Vinyasa's anyone?
  • HEALING: Wind down an hour before bed. Including turning off electronics (excluding kindle).

Am I alive? Yes:

100%
100%

Level 2 Human Ranger

Welcome to the Rangers! I'm looking forward to seeing some pullup success...

Goal 2: 10 consecutive double unders.

I can do a double under, like maybe 3, but not strung together. It looks more like "single jumps, and double under, single jump, DU, SU, DU, crack my shin to high hell." The intermediate single unders have to go. And maybe less shin cracking. Working on that Dexterity skill so I can catch a drunk giraffe.

Ok yeah that is pretty much how all of my double under attempts go...

Day three of double unders:

I can string two in a row before I land on my rope!

I find that I have accidentally put myself into a rhythm as far as wrist flicking. I do my speed for one DU then automatically start dropping to the speed for a single. That right now will be the hardest habit to break if I'm to get these double unders down. I'm also considering purchasing a beaded rope with a speed handle. If anyone has any experience with using this sort of set up, I'd love recommendations. This solution is just one I've read up on to help with double under training.

Note on the pull ups:

I think I'm going to specify kipping pull ups. I attepted strict pullups Monday and actually had to add one more assistance band to be able to complete any.

Am I alive? Yes:

100%
100%

Level 2 Human Ranger

Wow, so I've had a slow couple weeks. I've been back to my regular workout schedule all this week. But the two weeks prior I worked out maybe twice  a week. Hrrrnnggghhh... This was due to the combination of it being the first real heat in Houston all year, followed by the big let down tropical storm Bill, and my sailor being home so I was super lazy wanted to do nothing but cuddle.

Luckily nothing deteriorated as far as my goals are concerned. I'm still at the same bands for pull ups as before (and still struggling for that last inch to get my chin over the bar without). I'm still trying to figure out my double under rhythm. I have been better about GRE studying though. I pull out my books a couple nights a week after dinner.

Good news: my dad gets here for a last minute visit in two weeks. I managed to ready the guest room and get my house somewhat cleaned in preparation. This weekend will be all yard work in preparation. Hopefully go well.

The bad news: Part of why I wasn't able to get out from under my rock the last two weeks is my depression has been coming back into the forefront of my life. This week it has really hit hard because of a handful of things out of my control occurring. We'll see if I can get back on my feet. As of right now my fitness goals are secondary to getting my mental health back in line. I'll play catch up on the mini-challenge as soon as I can (I did the first week's mini challenge and succeeded on my goal for that!).

I'm not dead!

Am I alive? Yes:

100%
100%

Level 2 Human Ranger