• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hello there!

Alrighty, this is my second challenge and my goals are roughly the same. I had a one week break, since I started the last challenge late. In that time, I completed one more BWW (on Tuesday) and managed to up my OHP by two reps at 25 lbs. On Thursday I wrestled instead of doing my BWW, and on Friday I got to practice trips and throws with the family. My Dad and I are going to start training sessions again, as I still have a lot to learn and improve. I plan to keep him to it.

In my previous challenge I mentioned that my friend had weights and that I was going to attempt to set up a workout schedule with him. In short, not the best choice for a workout buddy.

I still want to try weightlifting, so when the family decides to get a family membership at the nearby YMCA, i'll be going there. My plan is to continue to improve my BWW until I can get my hands on some free weights. That should be some time next week. Then, I plan to follow the Stronglifts 5x5 plan. Of course, I also want to practice my martial art when possible. :D

Main Quest (Loooooooooong Term)

Get stronger and gain healthy weight. Still aiming for 180 lbs.

Goals

• Practice Aam ka jutsu at least twice a week [DEX 2, STA 2]
  • Follow Stronglifts 5x5 plan by going to the gym 3 times a week [sTR 3, STA 2]
  • Eat an excess of healthy food (at least three meals a day; at least one meal with a good source of protein) [CON 3]
  • Getting at least 8 hours of sleep (get in bed by 10 PM) [sTA 3]

Other Goals and Stuff...

• Applying to as many applicable Web Development positions as I can find
  • Learning Swift, so that I can create some apps over the summer

P.S. I GOT TO CODE AGAIN ON SATURDAY AFTER NOT OPENING MY EDITOR FOR AT LEAST A MONTH. OMGFTWBBQ! It was fun. I may have (definitely) been suffering from code-withdrawals, as I don't consider the on-rails HW that I had to do for my C++ course coding.

P.P.S. I added the New2Monk tag because I am a newbie, and i'm curious if my goals seem reasonable. Thanks for any constructive criticism!

Thanks!

NEKNb1X.gif

• Like 2

Those goals all look reasonable from here. Good to see you back. :)

If you don't mind me asking, what constitutes healthy food? Is it protein+veggies, or is there a specifically healthy thing you're looking for?

Thank you for the response! :D

By healthy food, I do mean some form of protein & veggies. e.g Chicken/Beef/Tuna and Broccoli/Spinach/Bell-Pepper/Onion. I use rice (long-grain white rice) that I steam at home for filler in most of my meals. Some meals that i'll have on daily basis are Chicken, Rice, and some form of veggies. Sometimes i'll sub in ground beef, and occasionally i'll have some awesome tuna salad with spinach.

I'm still trying to figure out my breakfast, and this week i'm going to make another minuscule change to see what's messing me up. I've removed OJ from my breakfast and that's made my stomach slightly less grumpy. I'm gonna nail it down though. Currently my breakfast consists of 12oz. of the Naked Green Machine juice smoothie and flaxseed pancakes, which simply contain 6 tbsp. flaxseed, baking powder, a pinch of salt, a ton of pumpkin spice, a tbsp. of vanilla extract, and two eggs. The flaxseed pancakes are slightly better compared to the pancakes I had been making, since they have less sugar in them and no chocolate. Of course, the things are nearly unpalatable without about a tbsp. of honey. I'd probably be happier eating lunch for breakfast. :/

Well, why not do that, then? Eat your lunch for breakfast?

Agreed, no need to eat breakfast foods if you're not big on them.

I have no clue why I wouldn't do that, so i'll try that tomorrow then! That is if the family leaves any to eat tomorrow. I have a way around that, but I get yelled at for covering everything in Sriracha and other spicy stuff.

This week, especially today, i've been unreasonably stressed. I need to take a chill pill.

Update #1

Workout

I did a little bag work on Tuesday and did my BWW. On my OHP I tried to bring my reps up to 8 from 7, but I was having a rough time doing so.

Food

On Monday I had the usual chicken and rice for lunch, but for dinner I got to chop up some home grown banana pepper and toss it in with some sautéed veggies. Since I cored them, there wasn't really any noticeable flavor.

Tuesday, I had leftover veggies and chicken from Monday. Dinner consisted of chicken, leftover veggies, and steamed broccoli.

Wednesday, I went to Five Guys', because I lost a bet on my calc final (I had to pay). I had a total of 99.6% and got beat by 4 points! I ate a bacon burger in a bowl, because it's easier to eat it that way, and a bunch of fries. Dinner was chicken, quinoa (I forgot to make rice), and broccoli.

Today, I was really focused on getting as much done as I could, and so I didn't eat anything substantial for breakfast. The peanut butter sandwich I ate took the edge off though. I had a really late lunch of chicken and broccoli. I was making rice on the side, but I didn't let it run long enough, so it had to run for another half and hour or so. Dinner will be like normal.

Sleep

Monday - 10:08 PM

Tuesday - 11:40 PM 

Wednesday - 11 PM
  • Like 1

Geez, you got beat by that much? Someone must have done the extra credit, that jerk.

Anyway, sounds like you're rolling with the punches over here. Making lots and lots of good decisions with food and sleep and such. Most excellent!

Geez, you got beat by that much? Someone must have done the extra credit, that jerk.

Anyway, sounds like you're rolling with the punches over here. Making lots and lots of good decisions with food and sleep and such. Most excellent!

Yeah, the extra credit that I did brought me up to 99.6%, but if I had finished the one problem that I got stuck on...that would have been an extra 12 points. And I let them know how close they were.

itQeb6f.jpg

I switched up my workout tonight. I did some work on the bag, practicing various punch combinations until my arms were too tired to go any faster than normal. I hadn't done spinning back-fists in a long time, so I incorporated those. My smaller knuckles are red, so it looks like I wasn't punching correctly at some point. For snorts and giggles I grabbed the 25 lb kettlebell and did 3x20 squats. I rested about a minute in between sets, and then I practiced forms. That ended up being about 40 front-punches, 40 front-kicks, and 25 slow-mo sidekicks (each side). My legs definitely got a workout, and I feel a lot better.

I'm going to grab dinner and get to bed by 10.

P.S. I forgot to mention that I did some stick work yesterday, and got a little bit of instruction on disarms using sticks. It was just a brief refresher.

I don't mind at all, I practice Aam Ka Jutsu, which is really just a very general mixed martial art. It pulls from tons of martial arts, so it doesn't have a specific style of its own as far as I know.

Hi again, glad to see you around for a second challenge!

I remember you saying your friend used to lift weights with really poor form and that you intended to tell him (which what I would have done as well, with diplomacy, but I think it was the right thing to do). How did that go? Bad? Is that why you won't workout with him anymore?

Aah, yeah. I seem to recall you mentioning that now. Sorry I forgot. ^_^; But it sounds awesome anyway. :)

No problemo. I find it fun!

Hi again, glad to see you around for a second challenge!

I remember you saying your friend used to lift weights with really poor form and that you intended to tell him (which what I would have done as well, with diplomacy, but I think it was the right thing to do). How did that go? Bad? Is that why you won't workout with him anymore?

Glad to see you too, thanks for dropping by! I did voice my concern to him, although I have no idea if he actually listened to me or not. My reasons are a bit complicated, but essentially his goals didn't match with mine. My first reaction was to not workout with him, and knowing myself, I opted to not stress about it.

• Like 1

Thursday I had chicken and rice for dinner, and I got to bed at 10:17.

Friday, I tried having chicken and rice for breakfast, and I feel fine. I had the same for lunch, and two tuna sandwiches with half of a sautéed bell pepper on each. It was pretty good!

I got to bed at 11:34 on Friday. I don't have a good excuse, I was having a lot of fun playing Don't Starve and lost track of time. Regardless of going to bed later than I should have, I woke up five minutes before my alarm (6 AM) and felt more rested than usual.

• Like 1

Regarding sleep, that's pretty typical. Restedness is a thing that occurs and emerges as a function of the average amount of sleep you're getting on a given night. As long as you're getting down early more often than not, you should be fine.

Excellent work all around.  Not-breakfast for breakfast seems to suit you.  That tuna and bell pepper sandwich sounds really good.

Any more good training sessions this week?

Sorry for being silent for a while!

This past week has been rather interesting. I've eaten out three times, and have been snacking on nuts and fruits to fill in for when I don't have chicken readily available. I was also playing around with automated testing in WordPress and found a huge hole in the code that I wrote for the main plugin that I work on! I haven't been doing very well in the sleep department, but it's under control.

14th: Breakfast was a peanut butter sandwich. I ate lunch out at Five Guys' and had my usual bacon burger all the way with jalapeños. Dinner consisted of leftover fries. It was good. I went to bed at 11:10.

15th: Breakfast was a peanut butter sandwich. I decided to get a hold of some green beans to steam. Lunch and dinner consisted of chicken, rice, steamed broccoli, and steamed green beans. It was pretty darn good. I went to bed at 12:17. I had a lesson on locks and holds and realized that i'm rather rusty on those.

16th: Breakfast was a peanut butter sandwich and a banana. Lunch was two pita chicken sandwiches from a lovely Mediterranean place. I didn't have anything for dinner.

17th: Breakfast was a peanut butter sandwich with a pear. Lunch was chicken, broccoli, and rice. Dinner was chicken, green beans, and rice. I went to bed at 11:15. I warmed up with forms (I don't know what they're formally called), then I did 3x20 squats with the kettlebell. I finished off with 50 punches, kicks, and 25 slow side kicks.

18th: Breakfast was chicken and broccoli. I skipped lunch, but I snacked on peanut butter, pears, and a peanut butter sandwich. Dinner was chicken and rice. I went to bed at 11, and had another lock and hold training session.

19th: Breakfast was a peanut butter sandwich, a banana, and a pear. Lunch was a tuna sandwich. I snacked on another banana, and dinner was another tuna sandwich. I didn't have any bell pepper, but it was still good. I went to bed at 12.

20th: Breakfast was a tuna sandwich. I snacked on some peanut butter in the afternoon, and had Applebee's for dinner. I had a burger with fries. Dinner was late, so I had a peanut butter sandwich. I went to bed at 12. I also saw Jurassic World and thought it was alright. Pratt did an A+ job.

Yesterday, the family got A LOT of groceries. Which means that I'm gonna be cooking all the things. Followed by eating them.

I've been feeling much better after having cut out the weird breakfast stuff. I'm going to keep with it, but I'm pretty sure that the Naked smoothie is to blame. By that I mean, I was drinking too much of it.

Today the family is heading down to the Y to see about a membership. So i'll see how that goes.

• Like 1

Sweet! Sounds like you're keeping up with everything around here. Making your breakfast what you want it to be is one of the advantages of being an adult - something that ought to be indulged in more often. :)

looks like your challenge is going well - cheering you on

Thanks!

Sweet! Sounds like you're keeping up with everything around here. Making your breakfast what you want it to be is one of the advantages of being an adult - something that ought to be indulged in more often. :)

Absolutely.

I've got a membership with the YMCA now, so the plan is to go tomorrow after lunch. I'll do my best to not hurt myself. :D I took a mini tour and didn't see any mirrors in the weight room, so i'll have to have a younger sibling video tape me to make sure my form is correct.

Day 2 of going to the gym. So that meant Stronglifts workout B:

squat 5x5 @ 50 lbs

OHP 5x5 @ 45 lbs

deadlift 1x5 @ 95 lbs

I did a couple practice deadlift sets with just the bar to try and get my form right, and I think I did okay.

I warmed up by doing 15 push ups, 20 bodyweight squats, and 20 lunges.

Oh and there were mirrors, I just didn't notice them on the tour. They were very helpful, better than trying to record myself.

----

21st: Breakfast was chicken and rice. We grilled burgers for lunch. I had a double patty burger with spinach, sautéed onion, bell pepper, banana peppers, and fried egg. For dinner I broke up the last patty and had it on rice. I went to bed at 10:42.

22nd: Chicken and rice for breakfast. I had a peanut butter sandwich before lunch. For lunch I had chicken and rice. I had a crazy food idea earlier last week, and decided to actually make it. So, for dinner I had a baked red potato hash, of sorts. I sautéed onion, bell pepper and slapped it on top of the potatoes half-way through. The potatoes weren't quite as crispy as I would have liked.

I did week one workout A of Stronglifts, and thought it went pretty well. I went to bed at 11:50.

23rd: Breakfast was a peanut butter sandwich. Lunch was a tuna sandwich; I had to use a hamburger bun instead of the usual bread that I eat since I couldn't find any. It turned out that it was in the fridge on the top shelf. I didn't bother to bend over to look into the fridge, so I didn't see it. Tall people problems. :(

I had a little session doing disarms, etc. with wicker canes. I went to bed at 11:11.

24th: Breakfast was peanut butter sandwich. Lunch was pan-fried chicken (with a nice flaxseed breading) and some sautéed mushroom and onion.

I did week one workout B of Stronglifts, which also went well. However, I let my pride get to me. I thought the 5 lbs I was supposed to add was too small, so I added 10 lbs instead. It sounds really silly after the fact, but that's not happening again.

I've been eating snacks of peanut butter, strawberries, watermelon, and plums throughout the week. Yuum!

----

I've gotten started on learning how to develop iOS apps with swift. I found a short and sweet tutorial, and I also have a full on book to read. The "modern" style syntax of Swift is refreshing, but also irritating in some ways. I'll instinctively put a semicolon on some lines, when its completely unnecessary. :/

• Like 2

I kept with the Stronglift workout and did the same warm up as last time.

----

25th: Chicken and rice for breakfast. I had a double double, half a regular fry, and half an animal fry from In N' Out for lunch. For dinner, I made some chicken, rice, and cooked up some mushroom and onion. I snacked on watermelon intermittently.

I got to bed at 12:20.

26th: Had a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast. Lunch consisted of a piece of gluten-free pizza, and some peanut butter. I made chicken, rice, and broccoli for dinner. I didn't try breading the chicken like last time; I simply used pepper, a smidgeon of sea salt, and a splash of soy for each piece of chicken. It turned out really well.

Finished workout A, and got to bed at 12:23.

27th: Breakfast was chicken, rice, and broccoli. I also had about three cups of coffee with creamer and a packet of sugar for each in the morning. For lunch the family picked up Benihana's so I ate some hibachi chicken and rice, with an extra thing of rice on the side. That chicken fried rice is the bomb. Not quite as good as mine, but still good. I had some more chicken, rice, and broccoli for dinner.

In bed at 11:40.

----

Today I joined my family at the Y when they went do some swimming. That'd be the first time in two years that i've actually swam. I have a fear of swimming in waters that I can't stand in, and I want to get over that. I realized that cooling down with a few laps in the pool after my normal workout would be good for me. Besides, I need the sunlight.

• Like 1

Swimming would be an awesome thing to learn. I could stand to learn it myself.

Also, yes. Fight the temptation to up the weight too quickly. The reason the progression is so slow is to take it easy on all your ligaments and connective tissues, stuff that might not be prepared for working under load. It's not necessarily that you can't lift the load, it's that you want to be able to lift the load for a long time.

Just food for thought.

• Like 1

Also, yes. Fight the temptation to up the weight too quickly. The reason the progression is so slow is to take it easy on all your ligaments and connective tissues, stuff that might not be prepared for working under load. It's not necessarily that you can't lift the load, it's that you want to be able to lift the load for a long time.

Just food for thought.

Absolutely!

----

28th: Peanut butter sandwich for breakfast. Chicken, rice, and broccoli for lunch. Chicken, rice, and broccoli with onion and mushrooms for dinner. Snacked on peanut butter.

Got to bed at 12:50.

29th: Tuna salad sandwich with leftover cooked onion and mushroom for breakfast. Two ears of corn (because no one was eating them) and a chicken sandwich with spinach. I had another chicken sandwich with spinach for dinner. Snacked on peanut butter and strawberries.

Finished workout B without any issues, and did a few laps in the pool. Got to bed at 10:17.

30th: Basically snacks for breakfast: peanut butter and almonds. A tuna sandwich for lunch. For dinner, I felt like doing something new so I grabbed some asparagus and sweet potato. The chicken, asparagus, and spicy sweet potato wedges tasted awesome!

Got to bed at 12:10.

1st: Rice, broccoli, and sweet potato for breakfast, because there wasn't any chicken left. :P Snacked on peanut butter for lunch. Then I had chicken, rice, asparagus, and sweet potato for dinner.

Finished workout A and swam some laps. Got to bed at 11.

2nd: Had a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast. Chicken, broccoli, and sweet potato for lunch. Chicken, rice, and broccoli, with cooked mushroom, onion, and banana pepper for dinner.

Practiced trips and throws, and had a sibling fall on me. I knew it was going to happen before we even began to fall, but it was too late. :/ I got to bed at 11:17

3rd: I had a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast. Chicken and rice for lunch. Then I had a tuna salad sandwich and some more rice with the rest of the cooked onion and banana pepper, after my workout. I had a California burrito from a nearby Mexican restaurant for dinner.

Finished workout B with just one hiccup. I failed on the final rep of the second to fourth set of OHP. I had it halfway up, but couldn't complete it. So next time I do workout B, i'll be doing 55 lbs again. I was able to nail the fifth set, by the way. I just had to rest for 5 mins after the failure. I didn't feel up to swimming today, so I skipped it. I'll probably be heading to bed at 12 tonight.

Happy 'Murica day all yall! Yeeeehaw!

Ooh! I like sweet and spicy things. What do you do your sweet potatoes with?

Also, no worries. OHP is the thing to go first when it comes to SL 5x5. No worries. Just take your time and consolidate your reps.