Plitog goes on a Hero's Journey

While reading through the forums I ran across someone who was working through the Hero's Journey.  It sounds like a fun concept - 60 days of workouts with different challenges each day.  Plus three difficulty levels and a choice of weapons to allow customization.  Oh, and scoring in case you want to try multiple times or compete with others.

Initially I avoided starting because there's no way I'll get 60 days in a row to work through this. Also, the mini challenges with the Assassins can get a little crazy... in a good way. :)  This weekend I decided to start anyway and work at my own pace.  There are video games that take me months to slowly work my way through, so this may prove to be no different.

This is where I will track my progress and points.  I may throw other random workout stuff in here... only time will tell.

Very old battle log
Previous Challenges: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
Previous Mini Challenges: 2, 1

Assassin: Extremely competitive, tends to bust out bodyweight exercises when faced with waiting in hiding, and loves a good team vs team faceoff.  - Alexandrite

Day 1 - Press "START" to play

Decided to stick with Level 1 (60 reps of each exercise.)  I managed to complete the toe tap hops in one set, and climbers and side leg raises in two sets each (40, 20.)  The squats I went a little easier on (10, 10, 20, 20.)  I started running through day two immediately after, but decided not to push myself with the 6WC about to kick off.

100 points

Day 2 - Stranger at the crossroads

I chose to get involved even though it looked to be the more difficult route.  My legs were a bit sore from the first day but overall still feeling good.

Karma result:

The stranger I helped will help me in return on Day 7

100 points

Day 3 - The Armory

I chose the heavy sword as my weapon, since I have picked chin-ups as my Flying exercise at Nerdwarts. Today required three sets to failure, though I stopped short since I was going for at least four sets.  My first three sets for this challenge were 5/4/4, with a fourth set of 3.

130 points

Total points so far:  330

Very old battle log

Assassin: Extremely competitive, tends to bust out bodyweight exercises when faced with waiting in hiding, and loves a good team vs team faceoff.  - Alexandrite

Day 4 - Under the stars

A fairly easy workout today. Part 1 is 3x10 of bridges, one legged bridges, flutter kicks, leg raises, scissors and sitting twists.  I was able to run through all three sets of the circuit without any rest.  The only issue is a popping in my lower back when I do some of the moves.

Part 2 is 3x10 superman stretches.  Again nothing terribly difficult.

150 points

Total points so far: 480

Very old battle log

Day 5 - Journey Through the Woods

This one consisted of lunges, jumping lunges, knee strikes, jumps and side lunges.  My legs were mostly fine with the activities, but I was rather winded by the end of each circuit.  I'm thinking about using this day's workout as a regular cardio routine.  The goal would be to eventually make it through multiple circuits in a row without getting winded.

In the woods I found a dragon egg (+1 minute of recovery between each set.)  I took the egg.  Not because I want the extra minute of recovery, but because who wouldn't want a dragon egg?

100 points

Total points so far: 580

Very old battle log

Day 6 - Blocked Path

Relatively easy compared to day 5, the first part consisted of push-ups, shoulder taps and punches.  The only difficulty was doing the shoulder taps immediately after doing a set of push-ups.  The second part was weapons practice - an easy 10 chin-ups.

200 points

Total points so far: 780

Very old battle log

Day 7 - The Oracle

Mostly a cardio workout, with high knees, push-ups (for extra points) and plank jump-ins (basically half-burpees.)  Karma helped out a little by punching the oracle in the face.

200 points

Total points so far: 980

Very old battle log

Day 9 - Collapsing Bridge

A little cardio so nothing terribly interesting.  I've been doing Level 1 each time, but I'm beginning to think I should increase the difficulty on days that seem too easy.

100 points

Total points so far:  1230

Very old battle log

Day 10 - Into the Storm

Push-ups, punches, and wide push-ups.  Plus three sets of chin-ups as weapon work.  My push-up numbers were rather low, but afterward I still managed chin-up sets of 7, 4, 3.

240 points

Total points so far:  1470

Very old battle log

Day 11 - Close Call

Severely wounded by the storm I thought I was going to die (I didn't figure I wanted to do 210 squats.)  Determination somehow kept me alive.  Elated that I had survived, I was seen skipping for joy.  And then I just kept skipping.

100 points

Total points so far:  1570

Very old battle log

Day 12 - Refuge

Not sure whether it was the storm or the skipping that left me unconscious but someone found me and is tending to my wounds.  (Today's workout was a set of yoga poses which didn't take long to complete. I definitely don't bend well enough to do anything resembling the "reclining hero" pose.)

100 points

Total points so far:  1670

Very old battle log

Day 13 - New Bonds

Five sets of push-ups with side chops thrown in for some cardio.  Also three sets of chin-ups for weapons training.

270 points

Total points so far:  1940

Very old battle log

Day 14 - ...and you are cornered

Surrounded by enemies, I was left with no other options but to fight.  Lots of jabs, side kicks, etc. were required but in the end I was the only one left standing.

100 points

Total points so far:  2040

Very old battle log

Day 15 - There'll be dragons

Lots of jumping (lunges, jacks, and squats) plus push-ups and chops from Day 13.  I completed three sets before having to get ready for work.  This one took a bit to figure out the points, as the downloadable PDF is outdated.  The website has the correct scoring info (50 points per set.)

150 points

Total points so far:  2190

Very old battle log

Day 16 - The sun goes down

A light core exercise.  I was tempted to complete Day 17 as well but decided not to push too hard.

150 points

Total points so far:  2340

Very old battle log

Day 17 - Double Trouble

To-fail push-ups plus 20 punches.  Two rounds per set and 5 sets.  Plus 15 chinups as weapons practice.

250 points

Day 18 - The Chase

A cardio workout with push-ups thrown in for extra credit.  I completed 5 sets but probably could have made it through 7 if I tried.

200 points

Total points so far:  2790

Very old battle log

Day 19 - Ambush

A cardio workout with lots of punches, knee and elbow strikes, etc.  I ran through the first two sets without stopping, then the next three in the same way.  I decided to do another two sets to complete level 2 (all previous days had been at level 1.)

200 points

Total points so far:  2990

Very old battle log

Day 20 - Escape

Calf raises, back stretches and split lunges, all with hand behind my back.  Also 200 side leg raises during the day, again with hands behind my back for bonus points.

200 points

Total points so far:  3190

Very old battle log

Day 21 - The Return

Push-ups followed immediately by arm raises and arm circles. By the end it was hard keeping my arms up.  Also included was another round of weapon's practice - 4 sets of chin-ups (6, 5, 5, 4.)

300 points

Day 22 - Allies

A light core workout made up of various plank exercises.  I was running late this morning so I only completed 5 sets, though I was hoping to do more.

100 points

Total points so far:  3590

• Like 1

Very old battle log

Day 23 - The Chase

3 sets - 60 seconds of high knees.  Which I somehow managed this morning but it was tough.  I did count 120+ steps in the first minute to achieve the bonus quest.

300 points

Total points so far:  3890

Very old battle log

Day 24 - Core Power

A light core workout, which is good because I was a little tired this morning.

150 points

Total points so far:  4040

Very old battle log

Day 25 - Down to business

5 sets of push-ups, shoulder taps and punches.  Plus 4 sets of chin-ups for weapons practice (7, 6, 5, 5.)  I started this later in the morning than usual (since it's Saturday) so that may have contributed to the slightly higher chin-up count compared to last time.

330 points

Total points so far:  4370

Very old battle log

Day 26 - Warrior Spirit

Burpees, burpees and more burpees.

100 points

Day 27 - Seven Assassins

Kicks, punches, backfists, knee and elbow strikes - a light cardio workout.  I was rather bored of it by the end of the third set so I decided to do other things.  Some years ago I was into kickboxing-style workouts but those no longer provide any interest.

300 points

Total points so far:  4770

Very old battle log

Day 28 - Under the stars

Another light core workout.  Flutter kicks still cause a popping in either my lower back or hips, but not as much as before.

150 points

Total points so far:  4920

Very old battle log