Rivanariko plays it again, with feeling

Rivanariko

I am bad at video games

Like, really, really bad. I refuse play them when my husband is home because he feels the need to "help" bad.

For this reason, I'm not much interested in games that don't allow you an unlimited number of lives to respawn and try again. What I lack in talent, I make up in tenacity.

I've been a member of NF for several years now, but fell off the wagon in a big way after moving cross country two years ago and I've been struggling to get back. I'm hoping that I've tweaked things enough that I'll have enough potions to make it through the boss fight this time!

Main Quest

Lose 25lbs by the end of the year

We finally replaced the dead batteries in our scale at home and I discovered that I'm now 10lbs above what my previous highest-ever weight was. That's pretty disheartening. On top of that, when I pulled my summer clothes out of the closet, most of them are either on the edge of too tight or completely unwearable. Not cool.

Starting Stats:

Weight: 139 (I'm 5'1, so this is very UGH!)

Goal Weight: 115

Natural Waist: 30"

Belly: 36"

Goal 1: Consistency

Go to the gym 3X/week

I joined the YMCA, as the facilties around here are actually pretty awesome. They've got free weights, a pool, and lots of yoga classes that I might have a chance of finding time to go to. I just have to go three time a week and do something. Doesn't matter what, as long as it's active.

Goal 2: Strength

Learn to Lift

I've never tried lifting weights before, so I'm going to give it a try. I think that the concrete, measurable progress will be motivating for me. And I want to be strong. I'm going to see if there's a coach who can teach me there, but if not, I'll turn to the internet and NF for wisdom.

Bonus: Do a chin-up

I used to be able to do these. I have a chin-up bar in my house, I just need to use it for things other than hanging clothes on. I will accomplish this by doing sets of negatives daily-ish.

Goal 3: Fuel

Track food daily

The act of tracking my food intake causes me to make healthier choices, because I don't want to enter "an entire chocolate cake" into MyFitnessPal and see just how many calories that was. So I have no specific diet goals towards calories and protein or paleo-tendencies. I will try to make generally healthy decisions, but tracking is the only part of this goal that will get rated.

Life Goal: Accountability

Be active on NF

I'm very shy, even more so on the internet, oddly enough. But I will post on other people's threads and I will try to make friends. I'm not good at making friends, as I always think that I'm bothering people simply by existing. I will also join an accountabili-buddies team and be active in it. I will make friends. There will be people who will wonder where I am if I start to slack off.

Motivation:

Apparently "Being Healthy," or "Looking good naked" or even "not having to buy fat clothes" aren't motivating enough for me. So if I get an "A" (haven't defined what that means yet, working on the ranking system) in this challenge, I get to buy these.

(FITS breeches)

If I get a "B", I get these instead.

(Irideon breches)

There is no reward for "C"

A "D" means that I have to put the money that was supposed to go toward the first pair of breeches into our emergency savings fund instead. I have really limited income going into my horse adventures, so that would suck.

If I fail, then I have to donate the money to something I don't like very much. I have to figure out what that would be.

So, let the games begin!

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

Do you have a plan for your lifting?  If not check out the weight section here where they discuss various beginner programs.

A true warrior does not train tirelessly to fight, or to kill. A true warrior trains endlessly that he may return home alive.
-R. Calloway

Maybe the ultimate wound is the one that makes you miss the war you got it in.
- Sebastian Junger

Challenge 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Battle Log

Doodlie PVP Johari Window

Epic Quest Character 

Well, I am utterly failing at my being active on the boards goal! I haven't posted since I started this topic. Whoops! Thankfully, I'm doing pretty well on everything else.

As for lifting, I didn't have much of a plan when I started. I've been looking over the strength resources here and getting a better idea of where to start. This weekend I'm hoping to make some time to do some broomstick practice and try to learn the form, as well as hopefully spend some time studying the videos that people post in the form check forum to see what I can learn. I have an appointment for my initial "wellness assessment" at the gym on Saturday morning. There's also a basic strength training class Thursday evenings, which I'll be able to do for a week or two before my Thursday evenings become devoted to musical theater again. But I'm hoping I can glean enough beginner knowledge to set up my own program and do things myself, which is how I'd rather do it anyway.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

This is coming from experience, until you have more experience strength training it's probably better to find a beginner program and stick to it.  That way you can look ahead and see what lifts you need to know to be able to complete it and not chance overwhelming yourself by trying to learn too many variations at the beginning.

A true warrior does not train tirelessly to fight, or to kill. A true warrior trains endlessly that he may return home alive.
-R. Calloway

- Sebastian Junger

Battle Log

Epic Quest Character 

Yaaaaaay!!! You're back! *jumps for joy and throws confetti at you*

So I'm stoked ou are back on here, maybe you can help me be somewhat consistent in being kinda active on the boards?

But I love your goals. (by the way is you fail you can donate money to me cause we know you secretly loathe my exisence *wink wink nudge nudge*)

I agree with what Doc Viking says about a beginner program. I'll ask a couple of other nerds from chat who may have an idea of a good startng program for you. But like Doc Viking said, you have to stick with it. Don't lift like I do (once here, then wait a week and a half before doing another set).

Welcome back buddy!

-KiltedCowboy

Damn the Torpedos, Full Speed Ahead

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." -John Wayne

Rev. 22:1-5

Confederate Thrower of Heavy Stuff

Lt. WFD - 37'9" | Hvy. WFD - 16'8" | Braemar Stone - 21'0" | Open Stone - 28'7

WOB - ? | Lt. Hammer - 71'7"| Hvy. Hammer - ? | Sheaf - ? | Caber - ?

Stronglifts and starting strength are two solid beginner programs.  They but have weaknesses and strengths but they'll get you started and generally use basic lifts.  Over on the lifting forums they have a subsection devoted to different programs.

• Like 1

-R. Calloway

- Sebastian Junger

Battle Log

Epic Quest Character 

I like the sound of the startung strength program, I think. I read through some of the knowledge base. My worry comes from the fact that I'm really NOT a visual learner. I could watch 1000 videos of people doing something perfectly and still eff it up myself. I know they suggest starting with a broom handle or something equally light while learning, but how do I know if I'm doing it right at that point? Even posting videos (assuming I can successfully manage that, which is assuming a lot from the technologically impaired nerd) I have a hard time implanting feedback unless it's in the moment.

Or maybe I'm making excuses. That's entirely possible. I'm a little bit scared to start this.

Kiltedcowboy, I've been following the blog the whole time, just.... Got distracted. And forums are hard for me. You know that. I'm not donating to your wedding fund though. Unless it's in the form of a plane ticket.

As far as updates, I had my "wellness appointment" on Saturday and the trainer was super nice. She's a bodybuilder, so I'm hoping as she gets to know me and I say over and over "no, I want to lift heavy things" she'll help me out. It's not an actual personal training session, so she printed out the system's recommendations for me, which of course are all machines (BOO!! HISS!!) but she showed me variations for some things with Dumbbells, so now I know how to bench press Dumbbells (sort of).

And apparently most people can't do more than 1 crunch per second for over a minute when they're doing their assessment. I have no desire to include crunches in my routine, but i was amused by her reaction of "wow, you're really strong". She also loved my five-fingers and said they're her favorite shoes to squat in, so hope?

I didn't track food for a few days last week. Bad me. But in back to it now. And I was at the gym 4 times last week (woo!). I'm steadily working on the pull up. I can get halfway, but it's slow going. I know I can get there though.

And utter failure on being social. I'm going to fail this challenge on that alone. I should have picked a goal like "hang out with your cat every day" because I would rock that.

Hey you!

Great work on keeping working.  I'm really glad you are going to keep saying to the trainer that you 'want to lift heavy things'.  Being assertive is super important.  Stating your preferences can work wonders.  Also being specific can....

Though you are not a visual learner (and that's fine), maybe you can use the internet videos and pictures to learn the proper name of specific exercises that you want to learn to do.

Maybe you can use those names to go to that (or another) trainer at your YMCA and ask, "Hey, could I ask you to help me?  I want to learn how to do 'X' properly.  I learn best from doing, rather than just reading about it or watching, so would you please come help me for a minute so I have a chance to learn?"

And.... I dunno about your 'fail to be social'.  There's a lot of ways to be social, and just coming here and posting is part of it.  That allows the rest of us a chance to come interact with you - and I assure you, if you didn't post at all, that chance wouldn't exist.  Being social takes two, at least, and real life's distractions can really get in the way, so.... Don't lose hope yet.  You also didn't say how social you had to be to pass that challenge, so any improvement is.... improvement, right?   :onthego:

And yeah.  I will wonder how you're doing if you start to slack off in your posting.  Don't forget, this whole thing is social.  You don't have to read or post in others' threads to be social or to get interaction.  Good luck!

Level 1 NPC Assassin

Strength: 2Dexterity: 0 Stamina: 3 Constitution: 1 Wisdom: 4Charisma: 0

Current Quest  |  Previous Quest Current Stats

Weight Loss Goal: 40 of 116 lbs; 296 to 180

{progress='1e90ff'}34.5{/progress}