Getting from point A to point B

So I've never been good at going from point A to point B in most things and if it weren't for Google and lots of books I wouldn't have gotten as far as I have. So I'm curious and I need some direction.

I'm 34, female, and at last weighing 271lbs. I want to be 150-ish, with muscle tone, and the ability to run or sprint a good distance. (I'm thinking that makes me a ranger but I'm not sure).

What I'm curious to know is:

A) is that possible at my age

B) how do I get there from here?

I'm paleo, I am pretty sure I need to eat 1770 to 2200 calories as I got that from ifym.Com. I have been doing leg bodyweight on Monday, Arma on Tuesday off on Wednesday, cardio boxing Thursday for 30 minutes and Friday I do dance for at least a half hour.

Is this a good start?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Level 1 Khajiit, female, wanna be Ranger or Monk.

Current challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/76581-nekopowah-episode-3-revenge-of-the-mew/

Sure, you can do that. You could do it at any age so being 34 certainly won't hold you back :)

The key to weight loss is eating fewer calories than you burn. It looks like you are off to a good start by having used the IIFYM calculator. I would suggest starting with the IIFYM calorie recommendation for TDEE-20%. You can either eat that every single day or average it over several days, whichever is easiest/preferable. I tend to look at my calories over a week as going longer than that gets to be a bit unwieldy since I use MyFitnessPal to track and that goes in weeklong periods.

I have found that logging my food through an app/website like MFP makes the process really easy. I would suggest getting a digital kitchen scale and using it to measure any food that you can. If you can't measure with a scale, use measuring cups/spoons but be sure you use them correctly--level them off, don't jam the stuff in them in order to eke out another bite, etc. If you absolutely cannot use a scale or measuring cups/spoons (e.g., when you go out to a restaurant) get good at estimating portion sizes. If you google "portion size chart" you'll find a ton of good visual cues to help you with this. Once you have your food measured, log it using authoritative calorie data, such as that on food packages or from the USDA website. After you've been doing this for awhile it gets super easy to do and it takes very little time to do it.

As far as exercise goes, you are off to a good start. The best exercise is the one you will stick with. That's not to say that you must always box and dance because you started out boxing and dancing. What it means is that you don't have to be a runner or do yoga or do Stronglifts 5x5 because you see other people doing those things. Just find exercise that you enjoy doing. I do think that a mix of cardio and strength training (whether with bodyweight exercises or weightlifting or a mix) is good though. I started off with just walking and then added the NF beginner's bodyweight workout and then later transitioned to the basic bodyweight workout from startbodyweight.com and then eventually switched my strength programming over to free weights, while keeping a 50/50 mix of it with walking/running. You'll get a better idea of what and how much exercise you like as you go along.

Good luck to you!

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

That is a great start! And yes, you can totally lose that weight and reach your fitness goals. It may take longer than you like, but you will get there. 

I'm 34 and weigh 230. A year ago I weighed 263. I lost weight eating 1600-1800 calories a day, walking 5 times a week, and strength training 3 days a week. Now I eat 1370 calories to 1600 calories a day, I strength train 4 days a week and walk every day. I can walk 2 miles in one walk and when I started, I struggled to walk half a mile. 

Not that it's all about me :) but it's possible to lose the weight, and get stronger and faster. You can absolutely achieve your goals!! 

Ok I wanted to make sure that doing what I am is going to get me to my goal. I don't want to just start doing stuff willy nilly not knowing anything (which I don't lol) and messing up things. I have noticed that my leg workout is getting slightly easier, but I still feel like I'm half dead by the time I'm done but there's progress in there.

Thanks all.

• Like 1

Level 1 Khajiit, female, wanna be Ranger or Monk.

Current challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/76581-nekopowah-episode-3-revenge-of-the-mew/