• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MiddleAgeMutantNinjaPanda

The Primal importance of Martial Hobbies

quoted from

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2009/02/19/how-martial-arts-can-supercharge-your-man-spirit/

(disclaimer: Before I get flamed by any female martial artists, both I and the website understand that characteristics of "manliness" are not exclusive to males. Almost any advice on the site can apply any women.)

"The National Institute of Play, for example, points to scientific research showing that rough and tumble play in animals and humans “has been shown to be necessary for the development and maintenance of social awareness, cooperation, fairness, and altruism. Its nature and importance are generally unappreciated, particularly by early (preschool) teachers, who often see normal rough and tumble play behaviour such as hitting, diving, wrestling, (all done with a smile, between friends who stay friends), not as a state of play, but one of anarchy that must be controlled.â€

"Martial arts as a process of rough and tumble play can help men develop and maintain social awareness, cooperation, fairness, and altruism. If you missed out on rough and tumble play growing up, martial arts are a great way to recapture that essential time of male growth. As an added bonus, all martial artists will tell you that in order to perform at a high level, under the pressure of dealing with a resisting opponent, one needs to be focused, centered, and calm. As Yoda in Star Wars knew all too well, “Anger leads you to the dark side.â€

"To perform at a high level in martial arts you have to embrace, accept and ride the wave of anger. You become intimately acquainted with fear, frustration, anxiety, and loss of focus. Unlike in life, in martial arts you have a way to learn from those experiences and you have the opportunity to accept them as a natural part of discovery and learning. Most importantly, you are allowed to display these emotions as a man in a martial arts environment."

"Because you are free to fully explore anger, frustration, and fear as a man in martial arts without shame or embarrassment- something wonderful happens. You begin to feel the confidence rise inside you. You feel alive. At times you are in flow. You become intimate with the present moment."

• Like 1

A. of M. is a great site.  If I go to "Ladies" sites, well -- I'll earn my share of flames! -- they don't speak to those of us post- or non-childbearing.  Recently A. of M. had an article on how to be a good neighbor.  That's "urban civilized survival skills."  Those of us who don't have men at home to intercede on our behalf have to strike out on our own. 

In my life to date I've studied Aikido -- which helped grow me out of various addictions as a late teen/early20-something -- and recently I picked up (went back to) target archery care of a "large non-profit medieval reconstructionist organization."  I'm of English extraction and it's the 600 anniversary of Agincourt this year.  Nothing stirs my adventuring, chivalric dreams like feeling a part of one of the most ancient "warrior" disciplines on the planet.  The best archery I ever shot I did so the morning a friend had died overnight in a hospital.  We were all griefstricken and still committed to a tournament ... we were angry and weeping and shot the h3!! out of the targets.  It was that groove of eternal heroic despair where you leave it all at the contest.  Man and woman both, torn up together, redeemed together.

--Tombo

• Like 2

I haven't found anything on A of M that doesn't (in some way) apply to women (or at least women's lives), apart from some shaving tips or wardrobe advice. And I love jezebel.com, but that's more of a women's maxim than a woman's AoM. If you've found one of those, let me know.

Oh, time being precious, I generally stop at A of M and savor what's there, rather than look all over the Internet for a "better fit."  (Which I suspect doesn't exist.)

On a side note: thank you!  Your post kicked me into re-assessing my self-categorization here at NF.  I truly enjoy the RPG aspect of what's going on here ... but given my throwing axe and archery gear, I'm wondering if "Warrior" is where I "wannabe" after this initial 6-wk Challenge.  Maybe Scout, maybe Ranger, maybe Assassin ... because a lot of my resistance regimen supports other activities.  (Last year my work with a trainer was specifically to get in shape to pull a 41# Bear recurve, rather than the 36# short bow I use that looks more medieval.  Rows, "bat wings," pull-ups, push ups, etc. )

• Like 1

I'm wondering if "Warrior" is where I "wannabe" after this initial 6-wk Challenge.  Maybe Scout, maybe Ranger, maybe Assassin ... because a lot of my resistance regimen supports other activities.  (Last year my work with a trainer was specifically to get in shape to pull a 41# Bear recurve, rather than the 36# short bow I use that looks more medieval.  Rows, "bat wings," pull-ups, push ups, etc. )

1: This is "Nerd Fitness", not "Nerd Training Pigeonhole."

2: The Monks accept weapon arts/sports, and they accept non-contact martial themed fitness like Fitness Kickboxing, Tai Chi, Martial "Tricking", etc.

3: The other classes are the same way. Bodybuilders can join Warriors or Rangers. Tough Mudders can join scouts or assassins.

I think the most important thing is where are you most comfortable talking. I like to talk about martial arts, so even if my only martial arts activity was watching kung fu theater I would probably enjoy the monk forums the most.

2: The Monks accept weapon arts/sports, and they accept non-contact martial themed fitness like Fitness Kickboxing, Tai Chi, Martial "Tricking", etc.

3: The other classes are the same way. Bodybuilders can join Warriors or Rangers. Tough Mudders can join scouts or assassins.

I think the most important thing is where are you most comfortable talking. I like to talk about martial arts, so even if my only martial arts activity was watching kung fu theater I would probably enjoy the monk forums the most.

A Newbie appreciates the wisdom, sensei! 

• Like 1

quoted from

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2009/02/19/how-martial-arts-can-supercharge-your-man-spirit/

(disclaimer: Before I get flamed by any female martial artists, both I and the website understand that characteristics of "manliness" are not exclusive to males. Almost any advice on the site can apply any women.)

"The National Institute of Play, for example, points to scientific research showing that rough and tumble play in animals and humans “has been shown to be necessary for the development and maintenance of social awareness, cooperation, fairness, and altruism. Its nature and importance are generally unappreciated, particularly by early (preschool) teachers, who often see normal rough and tumble play behaviour such as hitting, diving, wrestling, (all done with a smile, between friends who stay friends), not as a state of play, but one of anarchy that must be controlled.â€

"Martial arts as a process of rough and tumble play can help men develop and maintain social awareness, cooperation, fairness, and altruism. If you missed out on rough and tumble play growing up, martial arts are a great way to recapture that essential time of male growth. As an added bonus, all martial artists will tell you that in order to perform at a high level, under the pressure of dealing with a resisting opponent, one needs to be focused, centered, and calm. As Yoda in Star Wars knew all too well, “Anger leads you to the dark side.â€

"To perform at a high level in martial arts you have to embrace, accept and ride the wave of anger. You become intimately acquainted with fear, frustration, anxiety, and loss of focus. Unlike in life, in martial arts you have a way to learn from those experiences and you have the opportunity to accept them as a natural part of discovery and learning. Most importantly, you are allowed to display these emotions as a man in a martial arts environment."

"Because you are free to fully explore anger, frustration, and fear as a man in martial arts without shame or embarrassment- something wonderful happens. You begin to feel the confidence rise inside you. You feel alive. At times you are in flow. You become intimate with the present moment."

Thank you for this!  I have nothing of value to add, other than that I agree wholeheartedly.  

Oh, time being precious, I generally stop at A of M and savor what's there, rather than look all over the Internet for a "better fit."  (Which I suspect doesn't exist.)

On a side note: thank you!  Your post kicked me into re-assessing my self-categorization here at NF.  I truly enjoy the RPG aspect of what's going on here ... but given my throwing axe and archery gear, I'm wondering if "Warrior" is where I "wannabe" after this initial 6-wk Challenge.  Maybe Scout, maybe Ranger, maybe Assassin ... because a lot of my resistance regimen supports other activities.  (Last year my work with a trainer was specifically to get in shape to pull a 41# Bear recurve, rather than the 36# short bow I use that looks more medieval.  Rows, "bat wings," pull-ups, push ups, etc. )

I've done a 6-week Challenge with every single guild.

Truth spoken. 

I was going to shamelessly plug the Monks as well, since that's my "main" guild.  I do a lot of lightsaber work with them.  But I've also done challenges with the Assassins and Warriors, and am considering one with the Rangers for my second Tough Mudder as well.  

Bottom line: Martial Arts are fantastic, and here at NF, you go to the place that best fits what you're doing and what you're comfortable with.  We're all here to cheer you on! 

• Like 1

A Newbie appreciates the wisdom, sensei!

You can call me sensei if you want, I'm a narcissist and will never turn down flattery. But my ego will not let me steal valor, so I just have to throw out I'm a one stripe white belt in BJJ and I have 7 hours of MMA striking, and that's pretty much it.

That being said, I bow to your natural ability to spot great words of wisdom, especially when quoting me.