Stupid Things You've Done While Training

Hey there,

After Gainsdalf locked down the thread regarding what others are doing in the gym (for all the right reasons to be honest), I got to thinking about some of the other stuff that was in there about stupid things we've done in the gym, and thought that we could do with a thread to note these things down for posterity, the purposes of learning and not laughing at ourselves in the slightest (honest!)

• Like 2

0,5 kg plate

I'm still searching for the 0,5 kg plate.  I found the 5kg plates, but still can't find the 0kg ones.   :playful:

• Like 3

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

I'm still searching for the 0,5 kg plate.  I found the 5kg plates, but still can't find the 0kg ones.   :playful:

If I could find 0kg plates, I would load that bar up with them!  haha. 

===========================================================

This most recent challenge I started the 20-Rep Squat workout routine, and totally mis-read it to be incline press instead of Military (Overhead) Press.  So now I'm doing a whole workout against the rules!  MUAHAHAHAHA! 

• Like 4

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I've whacked myself more than once with my own stick during FMA practice.

I've done this with my lightsabers more than I care to admit.  Thankfully they're not real, or I'd be missing several pieces of my body.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Last Monday at the gym, I was loading the barbell in the squad rack. I put a plate on the left side, a plate on the right side, another plate on the right... and forget to put the other plate on the left side. Cue almost falling over when I lift the unbalanced barbell on my shoulders. The worst thing is, this is not the first time I've done that.

I also have a story about how I'm clearly not destined for sparring... I had managed to attend few sparring practices on the spring, but managed to find time for one. I kick my opponent and somehow manage to hit my big toe in a really bad way. Well, first I thought it's no big deal, but then it starts hurting more and more, and a haematoma starts spreading under the skin, so I have to sit out the rest of the session. Did I mention this happened a day or two before my belt test? Stubborn as I am, I wrap the front of my foot in sports tape and go take the test. Because of the adrenaline, it doesn't hurt that much even though I have bruises from the nail down to the ball of my foot... except when my friend steps on it on purpose during the self-defense portion. It's effective, but come on.

But guess what? About a week after that, I attend another sparring practice, and do the exact same thing with my other big toe. Which gets even more painful and more bruised, enough to make me go see a doctor because it was so sore I couldn't even sleep at night. Oh, and that was a week before a competition. Which I participated in with 7 good toes, because I hurt my little toe practicing forms when my balance was way off because of the sore big toe.

• Like 3

POLARIS - LEVEL 4 AVATAR WARRIOR/MONK

(currently visiting assassins) | Challenge Thread

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

Using a light plastic skipping rope and nearly face planting as the thing gets stuck between my toes. I thought buying a heavier, thicker leather one would do the trick.........no, it still hurts like a mother when it hits you, and now bruises instead of just welts........maybe I should give up skipping. :P

• Like 2

Wait! What............?

Laughing my ASS off!!!! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

So glad I dropped by.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Decided to do a work out from Mens Health tonight - basically a load of barbell exercises in a circuit but working with one weight (in theory your hands shouldn't leave the barbell)...get half way through my second set and then think to myself 'Hey, if I'm not changing the weights then I suppose I should really put the collars on this'

That's right, it took me 1.5 sets (about 75 reps) to realise that I'm not changing the weight and so to use collars, in the words of Forrest Gump:

'I am not a smart man'

• Like 3

Bench press, alone in the gym, this happens in my head:

That last rep was really hard. I should probably stop since I don't have a spotter.

Nah, I can do another rep.

Yeah, I got this, wait, wait, gggnnee!

Cue the weights getting dumped.

And that's why I don't use the collars on bench press.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I've whacked myself more than once with my own stick during FMA practice.

Not going to lie, my brain immediately said "Fullmetal Alchemist practice" and while I know that's not correct, I'm not sure I want to be correct.

For me, my friends have made jokes that if parkour were my boyfriend, they'd be holding an intervention :P I'm usually quite co-ordinated except when I fail spectacularly ... like the time I tried to cat pass onto a concrete block, didn't lift my leg high enough and took a large chunk of skin off my shin, and what wasn't skinned was bruised.

I tried to walk it off until one of the instructors informed me I had blood running down my leg.

Needless to say, not my proudest moment.

• Like 2

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

I'm gonna amuse you guys again.

Last time I was at the gym, I was bench pressing. Not my strongest lift, but I did fine. Until, at the last rep of my third set, my arm just... failed. It didn't hurt, I don't know what happened, something in my arm just suddenly went "nope". Of course this happened the one time I didn't set up the spotters high enough. Cue the barbell falling on my chest and me yelling out "hey!" mostly out of annoyance and surprise. While I started to roll (of Shame) the bar down my body, this one guy came running to me from the other side of the room, really concerned. I tried to play it cool and explain that thanks but I'm fine, my arm just gave up, no I'm not hurt, I just have wonky arms. Probably was not that successful.

• Like 3

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

Using a light plastic skipping rope and nearly face planting as the thing gets stuck between my toes. I thought buying a heavier, thicker leather one would do the trick.........no, it still hurts like a mother when it hits you, and now bruises instead of just welts........maybe I should give up skipping. :tongue:

That's just motivation to make it over the rope the next time. :-)

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Last time I was at the gym, I was bench pressing. Not my strongest lift, but I did fine. Until, at the last rep of my third set, my arm just... failed. It didn't hurt, I don't know what happened, something in my arm just suddenly went "nope". Of course this happened the one time I didn't set up the spotters high enough. Cue the barbell falling on my chest and me yelling out "hey!" mostly out of annoyance and surprise. While I started to roll (of Shame) the bar down my body, this one guy came running to me from the other side of the room, really concerned. I tried to play it cool and explain that thanks but I'm fine, my arm just gave up, no I'm not hurt, I just have wonky arms. Probably was not that successful.

I've done this at least twice I can think of.  I think I managed not to yell when it happened, but it definitely happened.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I'm always scared to do the roll of shame thinking I'll damage internal organs, I just dump the weights on one side then the other.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I'm always scared to do the roll of shame thinking I'll damage internal organs, I just dump the weights on one side then the other.

Fortunately I'm still bench pressing such pitiful weight the only thing I damaged was my pride.

But yeah. I'll definitely remember to set up the spotters properly from now on.

I had to do the roll last night. I refuse to call it the roll of shame though. I benched 97 pounds two times, tried a third, and just couldn't make it. I was pretty jazzed about the two reps though because it was the first I'd gotten about 92 pounds.

Back in high school I took weightlifting instead of regular gym class. It was me, one other girl, a fellow nerd, and then half of the hockey team. On the first day of class the gym teacher had us each bench press and our grade was going to be based on how we improved over the term. As we lined up to start, the teacher called my name out and said I was going first because he figured I would max out on the bar and then I could write down everybody else's results for him. And of course that was true. And embarrassing. Embarrassing enough that I avoided the bench press for the rest of the term, which meant that I didn't improve at all and instead got a C for the class. So now every time I try for a new PR while benching I think of that to motivate me.

• Like 2

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Back in high school I took weightlifting instead of regular gym class. It was me, one other girl, a fellow nerd, and then half of the hockey team. On the first day of class the gym teacher had us each bench press and our grade was going to be based on how we improved over the term. As we lined up to start, the teacher called my name out and said I was going first because he figured I would max out on the bar and then I could write down everybody else's results for him. And of course that was true. And embarrassing. Embarrassing enough that I avoided the bench press for the rest of the term, which meant that I didn't improve at all and instead got a C for the class. So now every time I try for a new PR while benching I think of that to motivate me.

Sorry to hear that.  That's a pretty shitty thing for the teacher to do.  :(   But at least now you have a memory to motivate you! 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I once cracked the top of my head on the barbell by not ducking low enough to get under it in the squat rack, of course with a resounding CLANG.

As far as spotters, now that I've failed reps on bench press I always bench in the power rack, I drag a flat bench over for that purpose.  Two steel bars gives LOTS of confidence you won't get crushed, and they never get distracted by the hot girl in yoga pants or pull  up on the bar while yelling "It's all you bro!"

• Like 2

Oh I've injured most parts of my body with a barbell - shins, knees, boobs, chin... Usually doing power cleans.

A lot of people it seems have problems with "over gripping" the bar, I do the opposite. I once actually let the bar slip completely out of my grasp.

It smacked me on the chin on the way up then landed on my collar bone. I managed to grab it at this point, unfortunately not all of my fingers went the same way around the bar so my injuries for that one were: one large bruise on the chin, matching one on the collarbone, and a "squashed" finger. Yay!

My trainers advice, accompanied by "that look" - don't do that again. 😂😂😂

• Like 3

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Oh I've injured most parts of my body with a barbell - shins, knees, boobs, chin... Usually doing power cleans.

A lot of people it seems have problems with "over gripping" the bar, I do the opposite. I once actually let the bar slip completely out of my grasp.

It smacked me on the chin on the way up then landed on my collar bone. I managed to grab it at this point, unfortunately not all of my fingers went the same way around the bar so my injuries for that one were: one large bruise on the chin, matching one on the collarbone, and a "squashed" finger. Yay!

My trainers advice, accompanied by "that look" - don't do that again.

One of the reasons why I do Stronglifts instead of Starting Strength, rows require less co-ordination (which I lack) than power cleans.

Sorry

As a Runner, Cyclist, MTBer, Triathlete, Skateboarder and Surfer, my only training stupidity involves getting lost, falling down, and/or breaking things [as well as being stupid enough to CALL myself a Runner, Cyclist, MTBer, Triathlete,Skateboarder and Surfer]

But you folks have fun

Aww, come on :P We all know that falling over and getting lost are sometimes the best parts of training stupidity stories.  When I was playing hockey a ridiculous number of days per week, I had the grace and co-ordination to put myself out of commission for a month by falling down the stairs at school and pulling five ligaments in my ankle ...

Not to mention all the time I spend looking stupid at parkour sizing up a jump and going "OK, on three ... one ... two ... thrnope nope nope not going to happen not going to happen.

But OK, I know I can do this, so on three ... for realsies this time!"

• Like 5

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

I did the same thing a couple of times working on cartwheels. I'd be mentally reviewing: "ok push with the base leg and lift the other leg, lock out the arms...breathe in, breathe out and go WAIT!" and then I'd stall in mid-execution and collapse to the ground. Good thing it was on grass. Best of all no one was looking - probably.

OtakuBosatsu

Level 1 Lycan. Druid/Monk at heart, training with the Assassins
STR 7|DEX 5.75|STA 4|CON 3|WIS 3.75|CHA 3

My blog, "Zen, Music, and Movement": http://raffyayaladvo.wordpress.com/