Stupid Things You've Done While Training

I was squatting with two 45s and a 25 on each side, after I was done I took all the weight off of one side which off-centered it a little too much. The bar swung up, hit me in the chin, and the plates dropped off the other side. It made for a really loud sound in the gym, and instantly everyone looked over to see me bleeding from my chin.

This one strikes again....

See what I did there... :-P

• Like 3

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

I am waiting for my stupid thing to catch up with me. I recently moved my rack to a different wall in the basement. The setup is much better overall but it is closer to our hot water tank and furnace. Two times so far, when moving the bar from the rack down to the floor, I've turned around without watching and whacked the pipe that runs down the side of the tank. Not super hard but there was still a reverberating DUNNNGGGGGG sound with it. I might have to put up a sign to remind myself to watch out :P

• Like 3

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

This morning I racked the green plates back...on the peg where the yellow plates are supposed to go. There were already some yellow plates on it, too. Did a gym mate see me and say something? Oh yes. My response was along the lines of "Loooolll, fuck" followed by a facepalm and then shamefully putting the green plates on the other green plates.

First class honors B.Sc, about to get a M.Sc, and yet I get Kindergarten-level things wrong :P

• Like 3

I was rocking it during bench press thinking to myself "oh man, this is 5 pounds more than last week and it feels easier? Awesome! Sick gainz!"

After all my sets were done, I got off the bench feeling like a freaking boss...and noticed that I had forgotten to add the extra 5 pounds.

Ah, that is too funny. The big question--did you then add the 5 pounds and do another set?

MFP

I did not. I was doing 3 sets at this weight, followed by one additional go-until-failure set, and only noticed that I don't know how2math after the 3rd set. I did go until failure afterwards, though. Hooray for getting more reps in than last week with the same weight? :tongue:

Absolutely hooray for that. That's a PR!

• Like 1

MFP

I did not. I was doing 3 sets at this weight, followed by one additional go-until-failure set, and only noticed that I don't know how2math after the 3rd set. I did go until failure afterwards, though. Hooray for getting more reps in than last week with the same weight? :tongue:

Definitely hooray!  It may not be the improvement you were going for, but it is still improvement.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Lifting n00b here. A few weeks ago I started lifting alone, without my PT. Back day I approached my deadlifts super excited (they're so fun!)

30kg 'warm up': shit, that was kinda tough, but okay.

45kg: what the hell? Am I hormonal? This is crazy hard!

55kg: barely one rep, wtf is going on?

Had a bit of a tantrum and started to cry :nightmare:

Two days later I went to do my straight leg deadlifts. Loaded up the bar then just kinda stared at it for a while, before thinking to myself, 'Hang on, am I meant to count the bar in the weight?' Returned home after the rest of my workout, did some Googling.

Yes, yes you are meant to count the weight. So instead of doing 30/45/55, I was doing 50/65/75.

But hey, one rep at 75kg, that's not bad at all! :D

• Like 3

I aim to misbehave.

Battle log

Lifting n00b here. A few weeks ago I started lifting alone, without my PT. Back day I approached my deadlifts super excited (they're so fun!)

30kg 'warm up': shit, that was kinda tough, but okay.

45kg: what the hell? Am I hormonal? This is crazy hard!

55kg: barely one rep, wtf is going on?

Had a bit of a tantrum and started to cry :nightmare:

Two days later I went to do my straight leg deadlifts. Loaded up the bar then just kinda stared at it for a while, before thinking to myself, 'Hang on, am I meant to count the bar in the weight?' Returned home after the rest of my workout, did some Googling.

Yes, yes you are meant to count the weight. So instead of doing 30/45/55, I was doing 50/65/75.

But hey, one rep at 75kg, that's not bad at all! :D

Sounds like a good accidental PR!  Just be sure to keep that form tight to avoid injury.  ;)

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I have had a problem with my upper trap for quite some time. One of the things I do to fix it are lat pull downs with a resistance band and a pipe. Starting off I had to loop it as you would for a pull up assist. One day I had to use the "men's" bar which is a bit taller. As I tried to clean up my space I decided to just try to leap to grab a bit and pull down to be able to unloop it, instead of grabing a box dragging it across the gym merely as a step stool. Somehow only my index finger grabbed on and the band was brand new thus it didn't budge. My finger bent backwards or something and hurt immediately. I had strained it. Took a few months before it didn't hurt again. If that wasn't bad enough I did the same thing a week later on the other hand. :uncomfortableness:

On time while getting into cycling I was really nervous on going on a group ride. I got the guts and went with them. To my terror they changed the ride to a more difficult one. Fortunately it was my normal route so I knew the hills and I managed fine. After it was all over and we all go to say goodbye I go to leave and start to go then realize I should wait til after the next car. I missed my window to lean right and suddenly as my weight shifts to the left I realize, I have absolutely no idea how to unclip with my left foot when my right foot isn't on the ground. I panic and bam fall over about as slowly as possible. Get up quickly and of course the leader had started to leave at this point and saw it all. "You ok?" Yes. Yes, it was just my pride that was hurt. I think Murphey's Law of cycling is you only can't unclip when someone else is there to see it all.

• Like 1

18.10 |18.6 | 18.518.418.318.218.116.2 | 16.1 | My Character

Lean out: 4lbs / 70lbs

- - - - - - - - - -

Drinking a beer after a cardio without knowing I was dehydrated.

Never been so sick ...

• Like 1

Going from 87 to 77 kg...

Next weighing-day: 17 jan

10%
10%
3 reps of 8 push-ups total of 24 --> 16

66%
66%
3 reps of 8 chin-ups total of 24 --> 4

16%
16%
Start-to-run lesson 1/27 --> unexpected error in module "LEFT_LEG_AND_GROIN". Error register returned code "MUSCLE_FISSURE_LEFT". Program was halted. Please wait 6 to 8 weeks for patches to install...

ERR%
ERR%

Male, 40y

Ultimate Goal: finishing the "Spartacus-run" obstacle course.

Alter ego: man machine

Doing incline situps when I didn't set the pin properly on the board, put my legs on either side of the board to sit down, the thing slipped and scraped both interior ankles. No damage, one is slightly sore to the touch, but man did I feel dumb. Since then I've been really paranoid about the thing, pushing down real hard each time to make sure the pin is set. 

It was like this one but older and rattier.

$_90.JPG

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Doing incline situps when I didn't set the pin properly on the board, put my legs on either side of the board to sit down, the thing slipped and scraped both interior ankles. No damage, one is slightly sore to the touch, but man did I feel dumb. Since then I've been really paranoid about the thing, pushing down real hard each time to make sure the pin is set. 

It was like this one but older and rattier.

$_90.JPG

Ouch! Painful.

On Saturday I had my bar up on squat stands. Keep in mind that I have a standard (15 lb) bar, not an Olympic bar. I normally take a bit of weight off one side then the other in order to keep it somewhat even. Well, that day I was not thinking and took all of the weight off one side, causing the bar to flip up and go flying over into the wall. Fortunately it missed the sump pump and radon abatement system. However, one set of plates were the sand-filled kind and now have a slow leak. Plus, I managed to not get injured at all.

• Like 1

MFP

A silly mistake because I didn't know any better at the time. Was using the bench backwards putting my head where you're supposed to put your butt.  The lady next to me kept looking at me weird. When I later figured it out I realized that the look on her face was her debating whether she should have told me or not. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Late start, but here at last.

Level 6 Magikarp

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5

My NF Character and Epic Quest!

I can't count the number of times I've been lazy doing strict presses/push  presses/push jerks and swiped my face  with the knurled bar. I know you're  supposed to  get your jaw/nose/glasses out of the way... it's  a  wonder I  haven't broken anything yet! 

• Like 2

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Yep totally did a workout lift wrong last night, was supposed to do between legs bent row, I did not put the bar in between my legs like your are supposed to but stood in front of it and lifted it like a log using the little nub that sticks out from the weights;

"Impressive, but nope. This is how you do it."

• Like 1

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

Yep totally did a workout lift wrong last night, was supposed to do between legs bent row, I did not put the bar in between my legs like your are supposed to but stood in front of it and lifted it like a log using the little nub that sticks out from the weights;

Are you talking about a landmine row? If not, what do you mean?

(I've been incorporating some landmine-type work lately so this caught my attention.)

MFP

looking it up yes that is the name for it.

all I know is that you load up the plates, straddle the bar and bring it up to your crotch and slowly bring it back down the floor

what I was attempting to do is the log flip that you see at the Strongman competitions

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

We did  what my coach called "Russian Triangles" a few weeks ago. They sound like a twisting version of what you were doing... plates on the end  of the bar, one end of the bar on the ground (resting  in another plate so  they don't roll). Pick it up, hold it  to one side of your body with arms straight. Push it straight overhead, then bring it down  (straight arms) to the other side of your body. Completely destroys your torso. 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

I don't really attempt the Olympic lifts like snatches, cleans, etc. I have nobody to show me and no mirror and I feel like trying them on my own is just a bad idea. At some point I may get a trainer so that I can learn them but until then, I leave them out of any complexes that I consider doing.

• Like 1

MFP

I tried to Snatch a barbell starting from my knees. It ended exactly how you think it would.

I don't really attempt the Olympic lifts like snatches, cleans, etc. I have nobody to show me and no mirror and I feel like trying them on my own is just a bad idea. At some point I may get a trainer so that I can learn them but until then, I leave them out of any complexes that I consider doing.

*snicker*

Re. Olympic lifts: even with a trainer, and even once technique improves, there will still be dropping every now and then ;P

<3 bumper plates!

• Like 1