• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DolefulDinosaur

Fellow Martial Artist?

Hello! 

New the forums, but not new to Nerd Fitness. I am an aspiring monk. I've been training in Okinawan karate, and Okinawan kobudo for two years now. I'm not a sporty competitive person (now video games is a different story) so I chose it mainly for the training as a life style kind of attitude it conveys. I love going to class and it has become an important part of my life. I love the continuous learning how great of a workout it is.  

Please do share my fellow martial artists. What do you train? How long? And what have you gained from it?  :pride: 

Thank you! 

Dinosaur out ;) 

-Des

At the moment i train defendo. Background in few martial arts. First it gave me self esteem then it has given me discipline and so many lost lawsuits that i could have paid a houde with that money :-D

Current Primary Training: Modern Army Combatives Program/Special Operations Combatives Program (MACP/SOCP)/Brazilian Jujitsu (BJJ) (taught simultaneously, tested separately). Currently MACP Level I and BJJ White Belt with one stripe. Would love to find a good KM place, but I don't trust the one near my house.

Secondary Training: MMA Striking (7 hours), Parkour (6 hours training, 20+ solo), Practical Shooting (I feel Parkour and Practical Shooting are martial arts)

Previous Civilian Martial Arts Training: Akijujitsu (20 hours), Judo (3 hours), Folk Wrestling (1 hour), Tai Kwan Do (Yellow Belt), Kuk Sul Wan (Yellow Belt), Ninjutsu (1 hour), Akido (1 hour), Shaolin-Do (1 hour), SCA Heavy Fighting (5 hours, one mass battle), SCA light fighting (1 hour)

Previous Military Tactical Training: Close Quarters Combat (CQC) (40+Hours), Combat Driving (40+ hours), and a bunch of other intro level basic combat skill courses. (SERE-C, counter-surveillance, peacetime resistance, winter environment, basic airborne, fastrope, tactical combat casualty care, tactical questioning, counter-IED, Site Exploitation, Human Remains Recovery, etc..)

As far a personal experience, I was a FOBBIT, 12 strait years of hostile fire pay at least one month out of the year, and not a single sustained firefight. No civilian "Street Fights", no competition wins, no real baptism of fire at anything related to physical combat.

But I have all my fingers, toes, no clear signs of TBI, and a retirement check.

But I have all my fingers, toes, no clear signs of TBI, and a retirement check.

Any signs of brain aneurysm (probably from Lieutenants trying to reinvent the wheel)?

• Like 1

Any signs of brain aneurysm (probably from Lieutenants trying to reinvent the wheel)?

Stupidity not exclusive to any rank. All the cognitive casualties in my world were generated by Field Grades and Senior NCOs, and trying to keep the real warriors like you alive and trying to keep the locals from getting caught in crossfire.

But that's derailing the original thread. Anyone else want to drop some martial arts wisdom?