the 13th letter almost missed Happy Hour...

It’s Happy Hour!

• Happy “Bedtime†Hour: 10–11pm. Time to be in bed within that hour.
  • Happy “Career†Hour: 10am–12pm. Time to work on advancing my career during those hours.
  • Happy “Fitness†Hour: 7–8pm. Time to exercise during that hour.
Any career work/exercise that furthers the goal is game.

We’re mostly through Week 2 already, so it’s high time for this!

Go!

• Like 2

M (the 13th letter). Lvl 6 Elven Monk.

Mathematics, computer science, martial arts and bodyweight strength training. Also, sometimes, fiction.

Hello, world!

Challenges: “Consistency†⟶ “Preparation†⟶ “Multiplexing†⟶ “Sanity†⟶ “Escape†⟶ “Lockdown†⟶ “Probation†⟶ “Detention†⟶ “Foundationâ€(×3) ⟶ “All In!†⟶ “Happy Hourâ€

Having spent the past 3 nights on classic computer science data structures and algorithms, I’m pretty sure it’s starting to affect my senses. Everywhere I look, I always see the same thing: “Such B-trees. Many Dijkstra. Very Floyd.â€

I do hope this is temporary…

In other news, Happy Hour is proceeding, uh, happily. Save for “minor†sacrifices in sleep due to the homework submission thing above, I’ve been happily sticking to Happy Hour for times of happiest happiness. Furthermore, like last time, I’m preparing a challenge progress table, which is hopefully both easier to read and faster for me to generate than posting an improvised-markup progress listing here. That way, everyone’s happy!⟵See what I did there? It should be up within the week.

• Like 1

Mathematics, computer science, martial arts and bodyweight strength training. Also, sometimes, fiction.

Hello, world!

Challenges: “Consistency†⟶ “Preparation†⟶ “Multiplexing†⟶ “Sanity†⟶ “Escape†⟶ “Lockdown†⟶ “Probation†⟶ “Detention†⟶ “Foundationâ€(×3) ⟶ “All In!†⟶ “Happy Hourâ€

Whooo hoooo it's M!!!!!!! :cheerful::triumphant::cheerful::triumphant::cheerful::triumphant:

Sorry....just a tad happy to see you back. ;)

Now i'm lurking... all stalkerish like...

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Although most people fall off the face of the Earth during Week 4, I tend to have my “miraculous return†around that time instead. Such as this time as well.

My challenge progress table took a while to make, but now it’s finally up. I’m also working on a different progress visualization approach—namely a “character HP/MP display box†like in most RPGs—but I don’t have anything (graphical) to show for it yet.[1]

Formally, I’m doing quite well: most of the time every major column group (career, exercise, sleep) has two out of three entries positive, sometimes even all three. Informally though, it’s not really that great, as I’m over-relying on the career/homework and exercise/MA columns, which is what I’m trying to break, in the long run. And sadly, most of the career work in particular is not happening during Happy Hour.

However, despite the seeming stagnation, I’m not going to let it bother me too much. My first round of CS exams is coming up during the next challenge, and I’m also in the midst of landing a part-time job as a maths mentor.[2] It’s gonna be chaotic soon, so the last thing I want to jeopardize are the beneficial stable routines I already have. So just take this challenge and the one after it as a “best effort†attempt, or an experiment: I’m going to commit to fulfilling my goals, but only if I don’t hurt my exams or my part-time job doing so.

Seriously guys, I am so zen on this, you wouldn’t even know…

1Since this is going to be integrated into my desktop background, I need it as an image. And I can’t find a feasible way of programmatically re-generating the image on a regular basis. And I also have practically zero experience with image-drawing software (Inkscape, Photoshop/GIMP, etc.) and only minimal experience with “canvas drawing†(HTML5 canvas, Java AWT Canvas, etc.). Not to mention that I dread the layout work necessary for the latter. So far, my best bet seems to be laying out all the elements in a web page (which I am much more proficient with) and using PhantomJS to render and “screenshot†the page. I did look at the drawing tutorial for ImageMagick, to see if there was something less heavyweight than PhantomJS, but… ugh…

2Paperwork sent, still waiting for contract and work dates.

Hello, world!