So I just started 5/3/1 with a version of BBB.  It includes alternating lat and ab work.  I do the Lat work at the gym but typically do the ab work at home.  So I have some extra time.  Right now I am doing my 5*10 BBB opposite the same main lift, so if A workout's main lift is Bench, I do the 5*10 at 50%on C... but would adding chest work to B and D be too much?  That would be 4 days with some chest work some weeks.  My DL and Squat are pretty close to Intermediate level on strength standards but my Bench and press are both WAAAY behind.

I was thinking of adding dumbell bench press one day and dumbell flys or cable crossovers the others.

I can post what my workout looks like now if that helps.  I am afraid what I am writing only makes sense to me. :)

"For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm."

Just remember that Scooty Puff jr sucks!

Volume should be fine.  My suggestion is to include a good quantity of light rotations and rows though.  It is easy to become chest dominant, which will eventually lead to shoulder injury.

• Like 1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I'd agree that you can probably cope with extra chest volume, the pecs are one of the larger muscle groups, after all.

Would be good to see your current plan though, to get an idea of where you're currently working, because depending on the work you already do, chest work might not be the right thing. For example, when you bench, how wide is your grip? Wide grip engages the chest a lot more than a narrow one, for example.

Level 0 Warrior

Amateur Powerlifter, Cricket nerd, Geek.

Battle log

Current 6 week challenge

hmmm.... those spreadsheets didn't post in a very userfriendly format.  Let me try again after work. 

I will have to look at my grip.  I know where my fingers go in relation to the rings in the gnurling.  Part of the reason my BP has lagged has been fighting a tendency to flare my elbows to a push up like stance.  I have had bursitis in one of my shoulders unrelated to lifting but already have some history of shoulder issues.

hmmm.... those spreadsheets didn't post in a very userfriendly format.  Let me try again after work. 

I will have to look at my grip.  I know where my fingers go in relation to the rings in the gnurling.  Part of the reason my BP has lagged has been fighting a tendency to flare my elbows to a push up like stance.  I have had bursitis in one of my shoulders unrelated to lifting but already have some history of shoulder issues.

In terms of grip, I'm a touch under 6', average shoulder width, and my grip is a good inch inside the rings. Unless your shoulders are a lot broader than mine, if your fingers are on the rings at all, you'll be using at least a semi-wide grip.

• Like 1

Level 0 Warrior

Amateur Powerlifter, Cricket nerd, Geek.

Battle log

Current 6 week challenge

Well, I'm 5'8" and 150# so I am a mountain of a man for Hobbiton...  I doubt anyone would call me wide shouldered.  I usually put my pinkie or ring finger on the rings.  I can keep my elbows in up to about 135# or so but repping much higher than that I find myself flaring.

Hope this comes out more readable.  Runs added just to give an idea why I don't want more leg lifts.

1. Bench   95 1x5

115 1x5

125 1x10

OHP       30 5x10

Cable row 70 5x10

Pullup/dip 4/7/4/7/4

3 mile run

1. Squat    165 1x5

190 1x5

215 1x10

DL           75 5x10

Lat pulldown 85 5x10

Situps 3x10

Leg lifts 2x10

1. mile run

1. Press     60 1x5

70 1x5

80 1x5

Incline BB bench 75 5x10

30# row 85 5x10

1mile run

Between days leg lifts 2x15, situps 2x15, bicycles 2x20

1. DL           165 1x5

190 1x5

215 1x8

Squat    75 5x10

P/u-dip 4/7/4/7/4

DB pres                35 5x10

1 mile

Later that day: 1.5 mile run, 3x15 pushups, 3x15 lateral shoulder raises 10#/each, 4x12 curls 20#, DB shoulder press 10#/each 3x15

Well, on SL it was 1-2x week.  Right now I am trying to figure out a rhythm on 5/3/1.  I am sure by fall I want to be hitting it 4x a week but right now I am trying to get at least a 3 and a 4mile run in a week and at least 10 total miles which makes if a little harder to get in 4x/week on some weeks.  So if I only get 3 times in a week I am still only getting 3 chest exercises.  Maybe the workouts that were supposed to be abdominal focused I can only switch my chest in at half volume, like 3x10.

The real question is answered though that 4x is not too much, especially as long as I am balancing it with some pulling and shoulder work.

So besides Incline/ and flat variantions of barbell or dumbbell presses or chest fly... is there any other movements I should consider?  Cable crossovers perhaps?  Right now my repertoire is pretty limited.

Been hitting chest every workout in some way or another without noticable DOMS or any signs of overuse.  However as I look back at my programming... I notice since pullups and dips were just added in as I felt like it they have dropped off.  I think I need to put that into my program lest it stop being done all together.