Strength training question

Hi,

I have been doing a set of 6 dumbell exercises, 3 sets of 5 at 22ib in weight for about 3 weeks. I am having a low carb whey shake after the exercises and following a palaeo diet plan.  I am leaving a day in between doing routines, but my strength does not seem to be improving.  I am warming up but still feel like I have bee attacked by a herd of rhino the morning after. 

In fact some exercises are becoming harder rather than easier.  I know it is no pain no gain but some of them nearly have me in tears.

What am I doing wrong?  last time I tried this it was working for me.  Do I need to mix up the routines?

Overhead pushup (difficult)

bicep curls (ok)

arm up to the sides (painful)

bent over row (easy)

squats (ok

Arm one over my head (which I can't remember the name of) (ok)

Any help gratefully received..  

Amimae :onthego:  

I'm assuming that you're using the same 22lb weights for all exercises, and that the difficult ones are always difficult, the easy ones always easy.

With this assumption, I think that you're using too heavy a weight for the difficult ones, and possibly too light for the easy ones. For the 2 difficult ones, you're basically isolating the shoulder muscles, which aren't very big, and therefore aren't so strong. Try dropping to 10lb weights for those two, and see if that helps. Over time, you can add weight again, which will build the strength up.

For the ones that are easy, move up to the next size weight.

In general, doing the same thing all the time in terms of sets/reps/weight won't add much strength beyond the first few sessions. It's by recovering and increasing the load next time that you'll see the strength gains, and so for any exercise, you need to find a comfortable starting weight, and then increase the weight over time.

• Like 2

Level 0 Warrior

Amateur Powerlifter, Cricket nerd, Geek.

Battle log

Current 6 week challenge

going on your other posts do I gather you are eating at a calorie deficit in order to loose weight ?

This might also be adding to your issues ... there is a possibility that with a restricted diet that you are not recovering quickly enough

When I started SL5x5 I progressed quite happily on a deficit .. until a point where the weight was too much for my body to recover ... and even to the point that some of my lifts got worse

I had a choice ... eat more - put on fat and muscle and lift more ...... OR accept that SL5x5 wasnt going to go much further with the current diet.

I would do what silver bot suggested .... or even change to lighter weights but increase the reps into the 8-12 range

• Like 1

Human | Ranger

Level 3 | STR: 8 | DEX: 2 | STA: 8 | CON: 5 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 7

Current Challenge / Second Challenge, /  My First Challenge

Hi,

I have been doing a set of 6 dumbell exercises, 3 sets of 5 at 22ib in weight for about 3 weeks. I am having a low carb whey shake after the exercises and following a palaeo diet plan.  I am leaving a day in between doing routines, but my strength does not seem to be improving.  I am warming up but still feel like I have bee attacked by a herd of rhino the morning after. 

In fact some exercises are becoming harder rather than easier.  I know it is no pain no gain but some of them nearly have me in tears.

What am I doing wrong?  last time I tried this it was working for me.  Do I need to mix up the routines?

bicep curls (ok)

bent over row (easy)

squats (ok

This is a mix of compound exercises and isolation exercises. You should not be using the same amount of weight for them all. A compound exercise uses more than one muscle group. For example, with your squats you are using quads, hamstrings, glutes, etc. These are the exercises that you will generally tend to use the most weight on. Isolation exercises use one muscle/set of muscles. Bicep curls work only your biceps, for example. You'll use less weight with isolation exercises. Plus, some muscles are just plain old smaller so you need to lose less weight. The "arm up to the sides" exercise, I am guessing is a lateral raise. You want to go quite a bit lower with this exercise.

Do you have any other dumbbells that you can use? Also, where did you get this plan? You might consider finding a full body routine like this so that you have something that is well-rounded.

• Like 1

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Were you exercising before starting this program? Were you eating low carb then? You may need more glycogen (which you get from carbs) for muscle recovery. 

Bit of cardio, but other than carrying my little one around. Not really..  Low carb is a much for me as I am insulin resistant and my body does not handle carbs/ sugar very well..

Hi,

bicep curls (ok)

bent over row (easy)

squats (ok

If ever there's a time for carbs, it's after strength training.  Your body can most efficiently utilize carbs at this point.  Obviously, you should talk to a doc if you're diagnosed insulin resistant.  Unless you're following a very specific and well organized keto diet eat ya carbs after a workout.  

Also agree about checking on how steep your deficit is. There is such a thing as too much. 

For exercises that are harder, try improvising weights with other things you have around the house.  Use google-fu for ideas.  Steve has suggestions on the main site, too. 

• Like 1

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Thank you for all your help. We only have one set of dumb bells and we tried to pick a routine that would be good for me and the husband.  Clearly not working and we need a rethink.. 

Your help has been great..

If they fit your budget, a set of dumbbell handles and plates could really go far. That's the set that I started with (the 105# version.) I now do a mix of barbell and dumbbell work but my barbell is the same diameter so I can still use the plates. And if you eventually decide to add something like a bench and barbell, a lot of the ones you find at garage sales are the beginner sets with plates with 1" holes, so also the same size. I've kind of cobbled together my home gym with mostly secondhand things (the only new stuff I've bought has been the dumbbells and an exercise ball) that all work together.

The nice thing about a dumbbell set like that is that the handles themselves are 5 pounds, then you get 2 sets of 1.25# plates, 2 sets of 2.5# plates, and a bunch of 5# plates. Oh, and the spin locks are 8 oz. each but I don't even count that weight so it's kind of like bonus weight. The lateral raises you are doing, I do with 7.5# (ignoring the spin locks) in each hand, for dumbbell curls I use anywhere between 12.5# and 17.5# depending on the reps, and then I can go a lot higher with other exercises. They are very user friendly and have held up well.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Thank you for all your advise it has been really helpful.  We got another set of dumbells, had a lower weight on the new set and up the weight on the old set. plus started using the barbell too at the old weight.  This meant that we could both use the appropriate weight for each exercise and last night I actually felt like I got a workout rather than a muscle ripping session...   Even managed to add wipers to the set as a bit of fun..

Loving exercise again.. Thank you..

• Like 2