I'm back after a rather long hiatus from NF and some of that time was spent on hiatus from exercise in general, but I've been trying to do better recently. I had another Battle Log before I left and while I feel like there are many of those goals I would still like to achieve (eventually), but I've somewhat re-evaluated my priorities more recently and also, some of the short term goals are probably now more like mid- to long-term goals. So I figured that starting again was a good plan.

Primary goal: To build and maintain healthy habits, including regular exercise, eating reasonably well, sleeping well and generally leaving time for life.

Short term fitness goals:

• Complete a 30 day yoga challenge. Accomplished on August 10th, 2015!
  • Run 5 km again. Accomplished on October 7th, 2015!
  • Lose 5 cm off my waist (get to 74 cm waist).
  • Make a habit of doing the BBWW 2-3 times a week for a month.

Medium term fitness goals:

• Run 5 km three times a week regularly for 6 months.
  • Keep up doing yoga for at least 6 months.
  • Get to 70 cm waist.

Long term fitness goals:

• Run 5 km in under 30 minutes.
  • Run at least 5 km three times a week regularly for one year.
  • Run in a 5 km race!
  • Learn some arm balances.

Short to medium term goals (life):

• Get better at poi
    • learn beginner skills
    • learn intermediate skills
  • Programming goals:
    • Learn Python
      • finish tutorial
      • start to work on learning NumPy, SciPy
      • improve program I've been writing
    • Learn R (find tutorial, complete tutorial).
    • Learn some JavaScript.
  • Get a job in data analysis.
  • Finish knitting the sweater vest that's been on my needles forever.
  • Knit the batshawl.
  • Knit a squid hat.

I'll obviously be updating this as I go and as I figure things out. I will also try making small goals at the start of each week to sort of plan out what I'll be doing.

Note: Items added and organized as some get completed.

Level 9 Amazon Druid
STR : 17 | DEX : 23 | STA : 22 | CON : 23 | WIS : 21 | CHA : 15
Challenges: 10, 9, 8, 7.1, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3.1, 3, 2, 1
Battle Log

This week's goals:

• Finish week 1 of the yoga challenge, begin week 2.
  • Walk at least half an hour each day.
  • Complete 5 pages a day on the Python tutorial (on average).
  • Learn at least one new poi trick.
  • Knit at least one row of my vest a day.

Today's Yoga (Week 1, Day 3):

Daily Stretch Routine

• Pelvic tilts (20 sets)
  • Cow-Cat stretches (10 sets)
  • Downward dog (5 breaths)
  • Lunge (5 breaths)
  • Straight leg lunge (5 breaths, back to downward dog, repeat on other side)
  • Mountain Pose
  • Standing forward fold (back to Mountain, repeat 10 times)
  • Downward dog (5 breaths)
  • Three legged dog (5 breaths)
  • Pigeon Pose (10 breaths, back to downward dog, repeat on other side)
  • Free pose: inversion (35 seconds), boat (30 seconds)
  • Corpse pose

3 x Sun Salutations

• start at Tadasana
  • inhale to mountain pose
  • exhale to forward fold
  • inhale to halfway lift
  • exhale to forward fold
  • inhale to low lunge, exhale
  • inhale to plank (hold for 25 seconds)
  • exhale to chataranga
  • inhale to upward facing dog
  • exhale to downward dog
  • inhale to low lunge (opposite side)
  • exhale to Tadasana

Standing Poses (all held for 5 breaths)

• Downward dog
  • Lunge
  • Warrior I
  • Warrior II
  • Reverse Warrior
  • Extended side angle
  • Triangle
  • Half-Moon
  • Downward dog, repeat on other side

Notes: In the 30 day challenge I'm following, this is supposed to be day 4, but tomorrow is a day when I basically leave the house first thing in the morning and do not get home until nearly midnight so I shifted it a day earlier.

I will also only be writing out each of these modules once because it gets redundant. I'll indicate particular notes like which free pose I choose each day and how long I held planks in sun salutations, but otherwise I'm going to avoid repeating myself too much.

Walking: Ran some errands, walked 45 minutes in total.

Python: Started on page 57, ended at page 66 (9 pages).

Knitting: Five more rows! (They're quite long rows)

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

Welcome back! I've also just gotten back to Nerd Fitness, good on you for having some great goals! 

A quick note regarding your Yoga challenge- I've been doing this one, Yoga with Adriene, and it's really fantastic. She's wildly supportive and makes me feel more like I'm actually doing something, and less like I'm just rolling around in the dog hair on my living room floor ;)

High five to you and your awesome-ness

• Like 2

WarriorAmy
{Insert motivational script here}
STR - 4|DEX - 2|STA - 6|CON - 4 |WIS - 6|CHA- 5

Welcome back! I've also just gotten back to Nerd Fitness, good on you for having some great goals! 

A quick note regarding your Yoga challenge- I've been doing this one, Yoga with Adriene, and it's really fantastic. She's wildly supportive and makes me feel more like I'm actually doing something, and less like I'm just rolling around in the dog hair on my living room floor ;)

High five to you and your awesome-ness

Thanks!

That yoga program does look nice, I'm trying to avoid videos right now because my monthly download limit is pretty low, but in a few months I should be somewhere with a better internet connection so maybe I can try that one then if I'm tired of repeating this one.

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

So today was a long day of working, but I managed to get my yoga and a row of knitting done before work. During some downtime at work, I also went through and looked at a few of the poi videos in the series I was working through so I know what I'll be focusing on later this week. Overall, it wasn't a very productive day (as expected), but I managed to get some stuff done and can now make more plans for later this week.

Today's Yoga (Week 1, Day 4):

Daily Stretch Routine

Same as yesterday, basically, but for the free pose I did:

• Inversion (38 seconds)
  • Boat (32 seconds)

So slightly longer than yesterday... I'll take a small improvement.

Walking: I walked for way more than half an hour today. I had nearly two hours to kill between jobs and I spent most of that time walking around, window shopping, but I also walked at least 50 minutes to and from train stations.

Poi: Determined that I need to work on backwards split time and getting the poi going in opposite directions this week. I can't really do either of those at the moment. I'll also try working on crossing them at the same time.

Knitting: Knit one row before work.

Tomorrow, it should be easier to fit in all of my desired activities after work since I'll be home for more than an hour before bed time.

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

Late update, but here's what I got up to yesterday. I was still a bit tired from my long workday on Monday, so I slept in rather than do anything before work, but I still managed to get things done.

Yoga (Week 1, Day 5): Daily Stretch Routine. This time, I skipped the free poses because I was in a bit of a hurry.

Walking: I walked about 45 minutes.

Python: I covered four pages (from page 66 to page 70) in my tutorial. I also installed SciPy and NumPy.

Poi: I spent about 15 minutes working on backwards split time and forward same time crossing. 

Knitting: I knit another long row of my sweater vest.

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

Another next day update, but I did get a fair bit done yesterday.

Yoga (Week 1, Day 6): This is the big workout for the week...

Daily Stretch Routine

Same as usual, but I did 40 seconds of boat pose for the free pose.

3x Sun Salutations

Planks held for 30 seconds each.

Standing Poses

Same as before.

Sitting Poses (all held for 5 breaths)

• Cobbler's Pose
  • Knee to ankle pose (both sides)
  • Cow face pose (both sides)
  • Head to knee (both sides)
  • Seated wide legged straddle

I noticed that my shoulders hurt during cow face pose, especially my right one when it was down. I might try to avoid holding hands behind my back in that direction until I've increased my shoulder flexibility in that way. I know that sometimes, I do a "trick" where I hold my hands behind my back and bring them out over my head, but I guess I always do that with my right elbow starting up and my left down so I never do it the other way, which is sort of a weird thing to do.

Anyway, that's definitely something to work on and look out for.

Walking: Walked at least two hours, probably more. In addition to an hour of to and from train stations, I got a bit lost in Shinjuku with my other half so we wandered for a bit and then walked around Kabukicho with some friends for half an hour or more.

Python: Covered eight more pages (now to page 78).

Poi: Spent about 15 minutes playing. Improved on same time cross going forward and backwards, forward split crosses with left hand leading (right leading has been okay). I can basically cross at the same time both directions and easily return, but I cannot keep spinning the poi going with my arms crossed going backwards (yet).  I also worked on split time backwards and opposite directions, but those aren't there yet (the former is better than the latter).

Knitting: Knit two more rows (total rows knit this week: 9).

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

Even though yesterday was full of uncomfortable cramps, I managed to get all the physical activities done. I didn't manage to learn more Python though. Instead, I spent the short time between coming home and going out again getting groceries and hunting with my other half in the MUD we play. Anyway, summary:

Yoga (Week 1, Day 7): Daily Stretch Routine (no free pose). It was a nice, easy day after day 6's workout, but I made it through the first week, which is exciting! I also noticed some definite improvements in my flexibility after just one week that perhaps I don't notice when I do yoga more sporadically (like a few times a week or less) and I seem to be getting better at it as well.

Walking: Once again, I walked at least an hour to and from the train station. I also walked around Ikebukuro a fair bit.

Poi: I played with poi in public for the first time since I've started learning them. As a consequence, I did the moves I'm comfortable with more than the ones I'm not, but I succeeded in same time crosses going backwards and attempted (but still did not succeed at) split time backwards crosses. Now I can maintain same time crosses going forward pretty reasonably.

Knitting: I knit one more row (10 rows knit so far this week).

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

So I skipped one day of updates and took sort of an impromptu rest day for the start of Week 2's yoga (I was definitely feeling a bit sore). Anyway, two day summaries:

Yoga (Week 2, day 2):  After a rest day for day 1, I was right back into it for a big workout on day 2.

Daily stretch routine: skipped free pose.

3x Moon Salutations

• Tadasana
  • Inhale to raised arms and backbend
  • Exhale to standing forward fold with fingers interlaced and hands behind back
  • Inhale, release fingers, high lunge arms up
  • Exhale to downward dog.
  • Inhale to plank (held for 35 seconds).
  • Exhale to knees, chin, chest.
  • Inhale to cobra.
  • Exhale to downward dog.
  • Inhale, lunge with other foot.
  • Exhale to standing forward bend.
  • Inhale, release hands go up into backbend.
  • Exhale to tadasana.

Standing Poses

Seated Stretches: This time I took it a bit easy when doing the cow face pose so my arms didn't hurt so much, but I still got a good stretch.

Walking: Both days I walked a lot. Yesterday I think I spent two hours walking around a park in the rain.

Knitting: Knit a line each day, hooray!

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

First week back summary and goals for next week

Yoga: I did some yoga almost every day. I took a break that I thought was pretty well-deserved on the first day of week 2. It wasn't scheduled, but I think rest days are important and it helped me for the big work out on day 2 of week 2, so I think it was a good idea. This week, I'd like to continue the yoga, though depending how it goes, I might want to repeat the scheduled week 2 twice instead of proceeding directly to week 3. I'll decide when I'm further along.

Walking: The least I walked in a day was 45 minutes. It was pretty easy to do this week since I worked most days and just had a lot of excitement on my days off. This coming week it might be a bit more of a challenge to do this since I don't work every day. I think I'll also try to add a bit of running. I'm not sure how it will go (e.g. if my hamstrings are up to it), but I'll never know unless I give it a try. So I'll try adding the first week of the couch to 5k program three days this week and just half an hour of walking on all the other days (except I might take a rest today because I'm pooped after walking around all yesterday).

Poi: I learned same time crosses forward and backwards and got split time going backwards pretty well. This week, I'll work on the split time backwards crosses and getting the poi going in opposite directions.

Python: I fell 10 pages short of my goal this week, but I did get SciPy and NumPy installed which I hadn't really thought about doing at the beginning of last week. I'll try setting the same goal as last week though (5 pages a day or 35 for the whole week). Since this week is less busy, I should manage to get more done on this front and hopefully, this time I will surpass my goal.

Knitting: Well, I knit more than seven rows this week, which is good. I think this week I'll aim to do at least that again, but hopefully, I'll actually be able to finish up the back part of this vest and move on to the other side of the front.

This week's goals

• Finish week 2 yoga then either repeat or start week 3.
  • Walk at least 30 minutes three days, do first week of couch to 5k another three days, one day rest.
  • Learn split time backwards crosses and opposite time mode for poi.
  • Complete another 35 pages of Python tutorial (at least).
  • Knit another seven rows of sweater vest (at least).

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

Two days of workouts and stuff rolled into one update!

Yesterday (Sunday the 5th)

Yoga (Week 2, Day 3): Daily Stretch Routine without a free pose.

Walking: So I lied about taking a rest from walking. I didn't walk much, just 45 minutes, but I had errands to run so I ran them.

It wasn't totally a rest day, but I did take it quite easy.

Today (Monday the 6th)

Yoga (Week 2, Day 4):

Daily Stretch Routine

Free poses:

• Shoulder stand (35s)
  • Boat (40s)

3x Moon Salutation

• Plank (40s)

Standing Poses

Standing Balances

• Awkward Chair
  • Eagle Pose
  • Tree Pose
  • King Dancer
  • Warrior III
  • Standing Split
  • Half-moon Pose
  • Sugarcane Pose
  • Revolved half-moon
  • Forward fold (repeat from beginning on other side)

The standing balances were super hard. I couldn't really properly do the sugarcane pose; the twist made it hard for me to reach my foot with my hand. I just tried to get as close as I could. I also fell over a few times, especially while standing on my left side. There's definitely a lot of room for improvement on this one.

Walking: 30 minutes. It was raining most of the day so that's all.

Poi: I spent about 15 minutes alternating between opposite time and split time backwards crosses. I can sort of get one revolution of split time crossing backwards, but my hands seem to like moving at the same time after that, which is unfortunate.

Knitting: I knit two rows today. (2/7 for the week)

Python: 6 pages done today (6/35 for the week)

Tomorrow I'll start doing a bit of running again. I was considering starting today, but since it was a hard day for yoga and also raining, I put it off.

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

Looks like a good two days. From what little yoga I've done, the standing poses were always the hardest for me. I have flat feet, and those poses hurt my feet with or without my arch supports.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Looks like a good two days. From what little yoga I've done, the standing poses were always the hardest for me. I have flat feet, and those poses hurt my feet with or without my arch supports.

Ah, that's no good. My feet are generally fine, but my balance just sucks right now. I know that I'll get better if I work on it.

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

I hope you keep up the hard work. Even the knitting, because I'm curious about that squid hat ;-)

Well, here's the pattern for the squid hat. Though I might try to modify it to fit my friend's two year old (who is super cool) instead of his almost new baby (who I do not know at all since he is not born yet). I also noticed that I don't actually have to finish my sweater vest to start working on that since my sweater vest is on #6 needles and that guy needs #5s, so I might start that sooner than expected (which is good since my partner and I are moving in a few months). There's also an adult version in principle, which I'll probably make for myself at some point. :P

• Like 2

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

Okay, so here's a late update for yesterday. It was a bit of a lazy day since I got up late and didn't end up feeling like doing much.

Yoga (Week 2, Day 5): In principle, this was an easy day for yoga, but I added three free poses for myself:

• Plank (50s)
  • Shoulder Stand (40s)
  • Boat (45s)

Walking: I walked half an hour. I meant to start running, but it's hard to motivate myself when it's raining as much as it has been.

Poi: I played around and once again got about one revolution of split time backwards crosses. I don't know why this is so much harder than forwards.

Knitting: I knit another two rows on my sweater vest (4/7 rows for the week). There's still another 6 cm or so before I reach the neck in the back and start binding things off.

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

Two days in one update!

Yesterday (July 8th)

Yoga (Week 2, Day 6):

Daily Stretch Routine

• Shoulder stand (50s)

3x Moon Salutations

Standing Poses

• Poses held for six breaths

Yoga for Abs (poses held for five breaths except where noted)

• Cat-Cow stretches
  • Hands and knees balance
  • Downward dog
  • Three legged dog (back to downward dog, then again on other side)
  • Plank Pose (55s)
  • Side Plank (20s each side)
  • Downward dog
  • High Lunge
  • Awkward Chair
  • Eagle (back to downward dog, repeat on other side)
  • Boat (45s total with 12s in full boat and the rest in half)

It was a bit of a hard day and my abs were burning by the end of the workout, but it was good.

Walking: I walked for an hour and a half.

And I slacked on doing much else. :S

Today (July 9th)

Yoga (Week 2, Day 7): Daily Stretch Routine. No free pose. I figured taking it easy was a good call here.

Walking: I walked for two hours.

Knitting: Two more rows! (6/7 for the week)

If it stops raining, I'll go for a run tomorrow. It's been raining every day this week which means I really don't go outside if I don't really have to. :/

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

I'm not patient enough for long term projects like knitting something large, even though I technically can knit. Your yoga sounds great! I'm not excellent at it thanks to an excessive amount of my dad's genes (he's flat footed and terrifyingly inflexible, yet my little sister is a great gymnast. Go figure), but I love it nonetheless. You're awesome and I'm so excited to see the squid hat!

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

I'm not patient enough for long term projects like knitting something large, even though I technically can knit. Your yoga sounds great! I'm not excellent at it thanks to an excessive amount of my dad's genes (he's flat footed and terrifyingly inflexible, yet my little sister is a great gymnast. Go figure), but I love it nonetheless. You're awesome and I'm so excited to see the squid hat!

Yeah... I'm not sure that I actually have the patience for large things either. There's a reason this sweater vest has been on my needles for two years and I hadn't touched it for probably a year until a week or two before I started logging on here. I think the earlier part wasn't so bad because I was knitting in the round for so long which meant that I didn't really have to think about it at all, I just continued knitting around and around, but now it's into a flat part and it's just so tedious. It's also funny because when I started this project I figured that if I liked it, I could make a bunch of different coloured sweater vests and how this would be awesome.

The squid hat is in the round though, so that should be fun times once I start it.

And thanks for the compliments! I'm not sure that I'm super flexible, but I'm definitely noticing some small improvements, which is always nice. I think the thing about yoga is that you basically do as well as you can and learn modifications until you can do the poses as they should be done.

• Like 1

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

You're doing great. The thing about your progress is it doesn't seem like that much from day to day, but when you add it all up after a while and look back you're amazed at how far you've come.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath