Happy Birthday! Playing games and eating good food sounds like a great way to celebrate

It's a good time, it's what I did last year. I like to cook when we have a game night but people sometimes get uncomfortable when I handle all the cooking and especially when it's my birthday.

07/18/2015

Run 30:00

I ran the same route as last time

Abs x 50 x 2

50 crunches

TRX shoulder prehab

50 crunches

TRX side planks 10/10

Back planks 20 count x 2

Front planks 50 count x 2

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

Thanks guys. The birthday was good and the Indian food was great. We played Alhambra which I won handily. When asked my secret I pointed out that I've p,aged the game a half dozen times before and they guy who got second was the only other person to have played it before. Then we played Acquire which I am awful at. I get the concept and strategy of the game but I have never not come in last. The third game and last one with six people wa Bang! the Dice Game. By this point a couple of the people were starting to tune out and it was a mistake to introduce a new game and expect the, to learn it. So it wasn't all it could be. One of the couples left and I taught Pandemic : The Cure to the other couple. This too was mistake. They are big Pandemic fans bu they were not I. The right frame of mind the learn a new twist.

In the end it was a good evening. I enjoyed it but was reminded of the differences between gamers and non gamers.

Since I know you listen to podcasts did you know that The Art of Manliness did an interview with the CEO of Strong First Eric Frohardt? Episode #123 if your interested.

Interestingly, 123 isn't on the website yet but I did see 118 with Dan Gable. Wrestling in Iowa he was the ideal everyone tried to aspire to so I'm listening to that one right now.

Week 003 wrap up

Week 1 of having my programming done for me. This week was a little easier than usual but that is per design. It's much easier for me to just execute on a program than to try and plan it out and then when it comes execution time start to question it. 

Week 004 prep

This week Laura is trying out a new schedule what will result in a schedule flip for me. I used to train from 7:30 to 9, after dinner and walking the dogs. Now I'll be training something like 5 - 6:30 then immediately go prep supper and eat. We'll see how it goes but I'm optimistic.

I'm taking Thursday off because I'm having dinner with my former coworker who went to the same company that I'm going to. In a few weeks I have to fly to Salt Lake City for orientation. I'm going to get his notes from taking the trips a few weeks ago. I've also tried to ping the kettlebell community for a sport gym in SLC but heard nothing back so it looks like it'll be more down time for me.

Just something random I have been playing with, in Dan John's Can You Go? he talks about a basic functional screen he uses to ask people to go from standing to lying using as few points of support as possible. He'll have them end laying on their back then up, then stomach and up then each side. He'll up the challenge by requiring them to hold one hand on their head or hip or knee. He'll use it as a warm up or cooldown for people who are at least decent at it.

I've been using this as a part of my cool down and it's a fun little challenge. I have no idea what it will take for me to eventually progress to using no support but even just using one arm is a not a bad range of motion to go through and can be challenging if my other arm is stuck to my head or hip sometimes.

It's much easier for me to just execute on a program than to try and plan it out and then when it comes execution time start to question it.

I hadn't considered that, it sounds like a powerful benefit.

I've read about that test before. There's a strong correlation between lots of points of contact needed and gonna die soon. Which makes sense if you think about it.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

A little late, but happy birthday :)

I completely recognize your comments about programming for yourself. That's why they say you can't coach yourself... I'm still stubborn enough to try it because I'm arrogant enough to think I know better than people I could get to do it for me x) ohhh character flaws...

Have you tried the app 'capture'? That's what I use on my iPhone, I imagine it'll be much the same for iPad.

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

1) Happy very belated birthday!  It sounds like you had a good time!

2)

Before I get to logging, if anyone has had success recording video on an iPad and uploading it to YouTube, please share any pro tips. So far it has been way more work than makes sense to me and with very mixed results.

Honestly I keep a tab open in my iPhone safari browser on Youtube's upload page.  On mobile browsers that page is a pain to find, so I just hunker it down there.  But once on the page it seems to be fine uploading onto the phone.  I haven't tried the app that KB Girl suggested though, so that may be a bit more straight forward.

3) I hear the weight issue ballooning back up.  Are you tracking calories or just going to follow that meat-and-veggie plan?

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Have you tried the app 'capture'? That's what I use on my iPhone, I imagine it'll be much the same for iPad.

I've not used capture. I searched for it in the app store last night and got several apps back. are you using the YoutTube branded app called Capture or a a different one? The YouTube one seems to only want me to be able to record in landscape mode. I'll have to play with it more tonight.

Honestly I keep a tab open in my iPhone safari browser on Youtube's upload page.  On mobile browsers that page is a pain to find, so I just hunker it down there.  But once on the page it seems to be fine uploading onto the phone.  I haven't tried the app that KB Girl suggested though, so that may be a bit more straight forward.

3) I hear the weight issue ballooning back up.  Are you tracking calories or just going to follow that meat-and-veggie plan?

I have been using the youtube app to upload and it takes ridiculously long, up to ten minutes per minute of video and seems to all but shut down my wifi network in the process. I can speed it up if I take the time to run the video through iMovie but that seems like a stupid, extra step that adds nothing. On my phone or computer I can usually upload somewhere in the range of 15 - 30 seconds per minute of video and the network as a whole doesn't lag. My ideal scenario would be to be able to upload at that pace without lag but also to have a convenient editing app that makes it wy to trim the first and last few seconds and to compile two or three clips together with little to no transition or slap a bit of text with elapsed time. That was relatively easy the Movie Maker that comes with Windows but I don't have ready access to a device like that right now.

This is bigger than the question you were answering but I have to say that in my opinion my ipad is just about the least effective computing device I've ever used.

I will likely not track calories, it's tedious and not terribly effective in my experience, i typically only use it as a tool to make myself for thoughtful about what I eat. I'm opening with a simple transition of food types (back to meat and veg). what I expect to see is that I'll shed five or so pounds this summer and fall just by cleaning that up. I find that as long as I plan for it and keep myself honest I can eat that way indefinitely and be satisfied. It is, however, not a a very socially acceptable way to eat so I find it challenging in that setting. 

I'm planning to keep that style of eating up indefinitely with no specific plan for caloric restriction target weight. It's just a way that I like to each and can do. Interestingly I was listening to the Paleo Solution podcast yesterday with two of the originators of the Paleo diet concept and they were saying that their time as practicing coaches and dietitians that their views on low carb and paleo has softened dramatically. They've found that many people don't tolerate a low carb life style very well and that a more moderate position is more sustainable. They have found though that males who are heavier and seem very insulin insensitive when they start out (250+, big belly, crave carbs and sugar) do tolerate it the best, see the most improvement and sustainability. that's pretty much me both with regards to start point and with regard to how I do on that kind of diet. 

I used to work with a runner and he and I would get teased about eating all day, each in our own clean fashion. He's the guy who will be at my new job too. He told me Tuesday that he thinks we'll have neighboring cubes at my new job. There's a triathlete right in our little cluster or two. So I'm excited to work in an environment where eating often and clean is the standard.

@Risen Phoenix - since you presumable work in the forums on your ipad, using Safari, are you able to place formatted text and billeted lists in the the posts? I noticed that went away when i started using iPad but I'be been using Chrome.

07/22/2015

Run 30:00

I ran the same route I've been running. Around here we have theirs two and four passenger bikes that tourists rent to bike around the park. They frequently get on hills that they are ill prepared to climb. I saw a group of people in this scenario and chose to count it as part of my workout to push them up the hill. It was a good little addition.

Long Cycle 24 kg 2:30

rest 1:00

Long cycle 24 kg 2:30 (1:30 completed) FAIL

(video to follow)

I ran back into my garage and immediately set about this. I was in such a hurry that I didn't even think about putting my belt on until the rest set at which post I just let it go.

I had it in my head that this was programmed at 8 RPM so I pushed the pace and was unable to finish the second set based on that uncomfortable feeling the body gets when I've pushed past my ability to clear anaerobic wastes that can result in tossing my cookies.

Abs 2 x 5

did crunches with side and back planks between and after.

Yea I think it's the YouTube branded one. The logo-thing is all red with the white play button and a white circle. I reckon the app is right about one thing;  you should only film in landscape mode. x)

Why do you say you had it in  your head? Do you not get goal rpm's from John?

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

Why do you say you had it in  your head? Do you not get goal rpm's from John?

He's very good about putting goal RPMs down. This specific one didn't have one but I believe that was deliberate, to see where I fell naturally. I say I had it in my head because I didn't have it written down and don't have wifi in my garage and didn't have my phone out there to check. If I had taken a minute to look or written it on my whiteboard before I started I would have completed the set at a slower pace. The error was mine, not his.

oh no, I didn't take it as critical at all. A totally good question, just owning my mistake.

The running is relatively easy. I was debating as I ran yesterday whether I needed to start pushing the pace harder. My assumption for yesterday was that this allowed him to examine my performance in a glycogen depleted state, something I've wondered about before. Effectively it lets him see how I perform at the end of a set without all the baggage of the beginning of the set.

So, for now, I'm just kind of grateful that he's making me do the running that I've been really inconsistent on to date.

• Like 1

I'm planning to keep that style of eating up indefinitely with no specific plan for caloric restriction target weight. It's just a way that I like to each and can do. Interestingly I was listening to the Paleo Solution podcast yesterday with two of the originators of the Paleo diet concept and they were saying that their time as practicing coaches and dietitians that their views on low carb and paleo has softened dramatically. They've found that many people don't tolerate a low carb life style very well and that a more moderate position is more sustainable. They have found though that males who are heavier and seem very insulin insensitive when they start out (250+, big belly, crave carbs and sugar) do tolerate it the best, see the most improvement and sustainability. that's pretty much me both with regards to start point and with regard to how I do on that kind of diet. 

I used to work with a runner and he and I would get teased about eating all day, each in our own clean fashion. He's the guy who will be at my new job too. He told me Tuesday that he thinks we'll have neighboring cubes at my new job. There's a triathlete right in our little cluster or two. So I'm excited to work in an environment where eating often and clean is the standard.

Hm.  That's an interesting tid bit about Paleo/low carb.  Doubly so since I fit that same bill as when I started.  I was just curious.  I'm the log-the-calories guy, but I can also do okay not logging if I keep closer to a Paleo/Primal diet.  Makes ya think.

Also I'm jealous of your clean eating work environment.  I get so many comments about how I eat, it's starting to get annoying.  I will say when I moved in with my current roommate I loved that fact that he didn't find how I cooked or what I cooked to be odd.  It was so nice to get home, cook a meal, and hear "That looks fantastic" instead of the constant "Why are there so many veggies/That looks weird/Who eats like that, rabbits?" comments.  Made life so much more pleasant.

@Risen Phoenix - since you presumable work in the forums on your ipad, using Safari, are you able to place formatted text and billeted lists in the the posts? I noticed that went away when i started using iPad but I'be been using Chrome.

The mobile interface for Taptalk is terrible.  TERRIBLE.

I only read the forums on my phone, any significant posts or updates I do on a computer, exactly because I can do whatever formatting I want so much easier.  If you know the basic HTML codes for the formatting you can add them to the post on the mobile version, but it's so damn tedious that I only do it when I've been away for a few days and need to let people know I'm not dead.  You're better off switching the mobile version over to the full version and dealing with the larger-than-the-screen effect.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I used to write webapages, I could do the HTML, I may give that a whirl. Of all the things I hate most about the iPad it's the lack of formatting on these forums that I find the most unforgiveable. I'm not even using tapatalk, I'm just using the page. 

in other news, I just learned that there is a podcast called Ballistic Sports Radio that is all about Kettlebell Sport. They just posted episode 11.

Really? I remember thinking yesterday while cleaning the gym and listening to random podcasts that it'd be great to have a KB sport one! 

Just looked it up and found it, thank you <3

I've been listening to them and honestly the first few aren't very good. They get better around five or six where he talks to the owner of the Ice Chamber. The host can't help but make the interviews a little too much about himself for my tastes. However, I 'm glad someone is doing it.

07/23/2025

Long cycle 24 kg 4:00, 10 seconds overhead - FAIL (only got three minutes, felt like my traps were locked and not contributing)

Rest 5:00

Long cycle 20 kg, 5:00, 10 rpm ( tough but not impossible)

Deadlift 100 kg 1:00 x 3 ( about 16 per set)

Pull up BW x 1:00 (6 per set)

07/24/2015 - off

I had free time and Laura was at work so I took a long walk (and listened the the kettlebell podcast mentioned above). I saw sloth like on his bike as we walked so we talked very briefly. He has a race tomorrow so stop by his thread and cheer him on. Then I went home and did bout 30 minutes of lacrosse ball work.

Tomorrow I run. It's hot and humid right now so I plan to do it early in the day

Thanks for the shout out. I'm glad you recognized me, the chat was nice, if brief. 30 minutes on the LaX ball, were you punishing yourself for something?

There's some new Simple & Sinister folks in the Assassins, I tried to send them your way.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log