Advice on new eating habits

daft

Hey guys, new member here and was hoping I could find some good advice on getting healthy. Up until I was about 20ish I was able to keep my weight low with no problem, however I was also a scrawny little thing.  Didn't do anything except play games.. I've hit that point where I hardly play games at all between work, my return to school, my girlfriend and other responsibilities that adults have  :numbness:

I've found it difficult to maintain a steady diet living a somewhat constant moving lifestyle.  I'm not what you'd call overweight, I just need to transform some accumulating fat into muscle.  I'm 24, 154 lbs as of this morning, 5'11".  The only part of me that "looks" overweight is my beginning-to-bulge stomach and newly-formed lovehandles.  I've tried calorie trackers, but it always seemed like I could never hit my mark unless I ate high calorie junk foods at time throughout the day.  I figured I was doing something wrong.....

So I'm here for some help.  Some help that could maybe tell me directly what I need to start with or some help that could point me in the right direction.  (Preferably a free direction if possible)

I plan on looking for advice for a new workout regiment as well, but for the next month I'm off work so I have plenty of time to start fresh new habits that will hopefully carry over once work starts back up.  Currently my activity level only consists of outdoor work around the house, but planned on morning runs and some ab workouts starting tomorrow (July 1st).

P.S. I hate fish. I can't eat it... any type.  And my drinking habits consists of about 4 cups of water on average a day.I try to stick to no more than 2 juice/soft drinks a week.

Also, I may not be overweight, but I also don't feel healthy.  I never have energy, always seem tired and I get exhausted quickly.

• Like 1

I'm going to suggest that if your calorie counts are low and you have no energy, you probably need to eat more and make those calories count.  You don't have to eat junk, add an avocado or some coconut oil, maybe some more protein.  Make a salad and use olive oil instead of the usual dressing.  There is an article on NF about a gentleman who lost over 100 lbs and he travels constantly.  I can't remember his name but it will be in the archives and if you've recently signed up Steve has probably sent it to your email.  If you are at your goal weight and wanting to look more fit the usual suggestion is to strength train in some capacity. Since it sounds like you're on the go a lot, perhaps you could start with a bodyweight routine.  There is a basic one on the main NF page as well.  Good luck to you.

Learn to cook, eat clean, work out.

"Eat clean" is horrible advice in general, since it's incredibly vague, but in this specific case it seems downright wrong. Daft borders on being underweight and complains about a lack of energy and a skinny-fat physique, so the last thing he needs is to develop orthorexia and worry about clean food.

Instead, I suggest that he takes up a good strength training plan (read -> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/02/28/strength-training-101/), starts tracking calories as well as macros and hits them no matter what. If that means eating a pizza here, a burger there and some ice cream as well, so be it. If it helps him achieve his goals it's beneficial, no matter if it receives the "clean food" seal or not.

How about a glass of purgatory with a splash of heaven?

I'm going to suggest that if your calorie counts are low and you have no energy, you probably need to eat more and make those calories count. You don't have to eat junk, add an avocado or some coconut oil, maybe some more protein. Make a salad and use olive oil instead of the usual dressing. There is an article on NF about a gentleman who lost over 100 lbs and he travels constantly. I can't remember his name but it will be in the archives and if you've recently signed up Steve has probably sent it to your email.

Name of the guy is Joe and his story is damn inspiring!

Envoyé de mon RAINBOW en utilisant Tapatalk

Winwaloeus, level 3 ranger

STATS : STR 7 | STA 9 | DEX 2 | CON 9 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

My introduction is Here - My Battle Log is There - 6wc I - 6wc II - 4wc III - 4wc IIII (ongoing)

Main goal : lose excess fat down to 14% (currently, i look roughly like a : 20 to 25 -according to many sites offering pictures for comparison)

current 4wc progress :

Goal 1 : walk !!! (2h27 out of a minimum 12)

20%
20%

Goal 2 : Sprint (1 out of 4)

25%
25%

Goal 3 : Lift (2 out of 12)

20%
20%

Life Goal : History work (3 out of 12 )

25%
25%

I'm going to call it malnourishment, not the Africa kind of malnourishment, but not eating nutrient dense foods and sleeping enough often result in feeling like crap. Excersise is the least important factor when trying to get healthy, it's something like: Nutriet density of the food you eat > Quality of your sleep > Excersise.

Cooking is the most powerful tool you'll have, and it is hard making cooking a priority, especially when you have to stop doing stuff or meeting friends for beer in order to have the time to cook. But batch cooking seems to be the most efficient and cheap way of the getting the quality food you will need for the next 2-3 days.

Hiting the total caloric intake is hard, I still have trouble with that. Chickean breast has so few calories and fills you up so much. I think that the key is racking up kcalories with oils and healthy fats on non training days, and carbs from potatoes and such on training days. #BodyBuilding style.

It's hard, not every day will go as planned, but have some "healthy, clean eating days" will start to change how you feel overall.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Amount of what you have to give in order to succeed.

The Adventure Awaits...

Instagram

The problem in the western world isn't so much with the nutrients we lack in our food (because there are very little actual nutrient deficiencies), but with the vast excess of other stuff that otherwise would be perfectly fine to consume, if people were more active and/or would exercise more moderation. People generally don't feel horrible because they don't get enough of nutrient A or B, but because they get way way too much sugar without moving, being insulin-resistant, take in way too much sodium (ten times the limit) or way too much omega 6 fats without balancing them out one iota (with omega 3s) as well as too much trans-fat. People feel like shit because a lot of them have no self-control and eat too much in general.

Exercise by the way fixes a ton of things and is much more important than you make it out to be. From improved cardiovascular and general health to better insulin-sensitivity and thus calorie partitioning and much improved dietary adherence to the mental benefits and like half a dozen others, there is a huge amount of reasons for why people should/need to exercise in some form or another and the way I see it, it all combined easily trumps "nutrient density".

And reading that you have trouble hitting your calorie goals just goes to show how much you stand in your own way with your narrow mindset. Having trouble hitting calorie goals while eating a ton of chicken breast? No shit sherlock. Eat to further your goals, not to satisfy some idiotic food dogma.

How about a glass of purgatory with a splash of heaven?