Adjusting MMA gloves for punching bag

Hello everyone,

I recently started training with a punching bag at the gym. I had been using handwraps but couldn't wrap them properly so I decided to buy gloves. These ones, specifically: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CTM6QBO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00.

Here's the problem, I have really tiny hands. I bought the small ones and I think they fit fine but there's still some wiggle room. My question is, should I try to pad them more with wraps underneath? Am I in risk of injury if I they are not tight enough? I read some horror stories about what can happen to my hands if I don't protect them enough, so I'm a little paranoid.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Hey, I'm pretty new to bag work myself, so you're going to want to double check anything I say. I'm not sure what kind of bag you're working on, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using those gloves all by themselves on my heavy bag. For starting out, you might be okay with these gloves with handwraps on underneath. As your punches get harder, I would consider buying larger gloves to wear over these ones.

The looseness is a problem, but handwraps can fix that. They're not there for extra padding, they're there to keep your bones from moving around. If you spend a little time practicing your wrapping, you should get the hang of it before long. These are the instructions I originally followed: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Wrap-Hands-for-a-Boxing-Workout/ but these instructions cleared up a few things for me: http://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-basics/how-to-box/how-to-wrap-your-hands

If you're going to get serious about bag work, you really need to learn to wrap your hands. Added bonus, it's guaranteed to make you feel badass.

Best of luck with it and if anyone contradicts me further down the thread, chances are they what they're talking about more than I do.

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

I've had a lot of experience with bag work and gloves.  Looking at the link you posted I'd say those aren't meant to be used on a heavy bag alone.  I'd invest in some actual bag gloves, some MMA gloves, or boxing gloves.  Those gloves look like they are meant to be used in place of wraps but I wouldn't trust them on a heavy bag by themselves.  I've used gloves like these: Everlast-Pro-Style-Grappling-Gloves  with and without wraps and like RangerDanger said you should really learn how to properly use wraps to protect your hands.  

A true warrior does not train tirelessly to fight, or to kill. A true warrior trains endlessly that he may return home alive.
-R. Calloway

Maybe the ultimate wound is the one that makes you miss the war you got it in.
- Sebastian Junger

Challenge 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Battle Log

Doodlie PVP Johari Window

Epic Quest Character 

yeah, I echo the above .. I would wear them under my gloves for heavy bag work.

I use nice and heavy 16oz gloves for any bag work ..... it slows you down a bit, but when you go back to no gloves or 10oz gloves its like you have become the flash ..... also wearing bigass gloves allows you to really screw up your punch and not hurt yourself and punch for a long time without hurting yourself 

I haven't once ended up with black-blue hands/fingers using 16oz gloves

Human | Ranger

Level 3 | STR: 8 | DEX: 2 | STA: 8 | CON: 5 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 7

Current Challenge / Second Challenge, /  My First Challenge

Thanks! It sounds like I'm doing it all wrong then. I have been using the gloves and getting some pain in my wrists afterwards. That is not exclusively the gloves fault because I'm sure I'm still not punching properly, but that's a different topic.

Would you say it's better for beginners to use heavier gloves?

It is always safer to wear handwraps under the gloves, right?

I started by using MMA gloves, but I had a lot of punching experience prior to that.  I'd say using the heavier gloves will keep you from tearing your hands up and give you more of a work out.  I would always use handwraps if they are available.  If you're getting wrist pain you might want to step back and focus on technique so you don't end up hurting yourself.

A true warrior does not train tirelessly to fight, or to kill. A true warrior trains endlessly that he may return home alive.
-R. Calloway

Maybe the ultimate wound is the one that makes you miss the war you got it in.
- Sebastian Junger

Challenge 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Battle Log

Doodlie PVP Johari Window

Epic Quest Character