HeatherAllyse: Chapter 3- Phoenix Ascendant

Chapter 3- Phoenix Ascendant

The curse ran rampant and the cleric, intrepid though she might be, fell to hew knees. Her body ached and her heart hurt. She sat there, not ready to bow but feeling so very, very heavy. Her mind reeled- what had she done wrong? What could she possibly do to make things right again? Her fellows, her confidantes, those she cheered on so gloriously had been abandoned in favor of disappearing. Running away when things became too hard; running because she (wrongfully) thought she could never change. 

"Coward," she spit, speaking words between tears, "you've always been a coward."

You are no coward, dear cleric, a voice said, you did not run from them. Your friends, your allies, you did not run from them. 

"But I did, I ran from them and I turned my back on the gods. I have lost my patron's favor, my might is gone."

Your might is not gone, your patrons have not abandoned you. You must try harder to truly lose the favor of the gods. 

"But I had given such inspiration, such encouragement to have faith in the path, what can I do now?" she sat up, dirt still on her hands and tears on her plain face. When she looked up she saw a bird, something haggard and molting. Something older than time, reaching its end- as all things end. How could she think herself as finding a new beginning when faced with something so haggard?

I came because your patrons have faith in you. I came because the gods of our land know you, and know your strength and your worth-

"But I no longer-"

Shhh, she heard the voice say. The bird flapped its wings, hopping as if trying to fly only to fall again. It tried, but fell again. The cleric's heart sank and she crawled forward. She reached for the bird. She held it close. 

"Stop trying to fly, you can't," she whispered, her heart aching, "sometime things end and you can not fly. Accept it."

The bird thrashed, wriggling itself out of her arms again. She tried to pick it up again but it flapped, it pushed away. "Please," she pleaded, "you'll hurt yourself, it's too long-"

It flapped again and let out what the cleric presumed were its death throes. It fell, flapped its wings and struggled to its feet. The bird took to the air ever so precariously; it began to glow a golden warmth before that warmth became sweltering. The gold turned white and suddenly there was a pop, a sound- a sound of pure magic and it erupted into flames. The cleric only watched in awe and confusion and horror as the bird smoldered away into nothingness. Each feather consumed, each squawk consumed by the sound of something indescribable. 

It fell, all ashes, into a large pile. Nothingness, it seemed. Nothing but smoldering embers and remnants of what it had been. The cleric pulled her hands to her lips.

"Why would the gods do such a thing," she asked the voice. Her tears were daring to come again- what was her patron telling her? She could not understand. Quietly, she heard a chirp, a sound like fire and magic. She scrambled forward to the source- the pile of ashes. Suddenly, a smaller, young hatchling hopped forth. Brilliant reds and ambers and golden flame. It took to the air, wings and tail and eyes blazing. Her crowed a victorious sound, invigorated with the sound of youth and vitality. She understood- a phoenix. The cleric had only thought them a myth, but she had witnessed one's rebirth, had witnessed something life-altering. 

Sometimes, dear cleric, we must fall. We must give ourselves to the fire so we may rise again.

~*~*~*~*~*~*  ~~~<-@ ~*~*~*~*~*~

Hello, lovelies! I crashed pretty hard last challenge. It is in the past. It is an ashen, dirty past. A sordid past, one full of debauchery and-

okay, I basically just had to do an extreme overhaul of the medications I take, so I was taken out by medical crud. That said, I am back, I am alive. I am a tiny fledgling bird that brings the might of elemental fire and I will rise into glory. Think Conchita Wurst- Rise Like a Phoenix. I'll post a link to the video when I get back home and have time to go do things. 

I am a little (a lot) late on this challenge, so I'm pulling a freshman here and carefully slipping in the back of the lecture hall and hoping my professors don't notice. 

Without further ado, I give you my challenges: 

Fitness Goal - Water World: Go swimming 3x per week 

I like swimming. I like water. I even bought a new, cute swimsuit that (I hope) looks good on me. I have purposefully avoided poking new and exciting holes in my body until swimming season is over. I will put my lack-of-piercing-having into good use and actually, you know, enjoy water. I don't anticipate doing laps terribly well, but I do like to piddle around in the water and generally stretch out a whole bunch. 

PASS: 

A : 3x per week

B: 2x per week

C: 1x per week

FAIL: no swimming. BOOOOOOO!

Reward: Armor upgrade: Buy yet another new swimsuit. Let's face it, I am like a dragon hoarding swimwear. I really like it, and I totally have a shopping problem that I'm not yet ready to admit to. 

Lifestyle Goal - My Spirit Animal is a Camel: drink 64oz water daily

I did a challenge similar to this the first time I did this, but it was only 32oz. I did end up judging myself on the 64oz scale though, which is bad form. Even when I succeeded, I didn't succeed. Basically, I figured out a good way to make this work: 32oz at work, 32oz at home. Home bottle stays at home, work bottle stays at work. 

A: 64oz per day

B: 46oz per day

C: 32oz per day

D: 18oz per day

FAIL: no water whatsoever that day

Reward: Potion bottles: No, seriously, I'm treating myself to another potion bottle if I do this. I freaking love potion bottles and they make me beyond elated. 

Lifestyle Goal - Foraging for food: 4 vegetables per day

I live of cheese and bread. I basically live like a starving prisoner- I eat bread, I drink water, and I eat cheese. Sometimes, I eat yogurt. Sometimes. Basically, I load up on carbs and act surprised when I feel super bloated. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome- my body does not treat carbs nicely. Basically, if I can start putting some veggies in my body I will be a happy cleric. 

A: 4 veggies per day

B: 3 veggies per day

C: 2 veggies per day

D: 1 veggie per day

FAIL: You didn't try putting vegetables inside of you at all. Shame! Shaaaaaame!

Reward: Swim the waters of mnemosyne:  Go on a float trip! See if the room mate or the girlfriend want to come, but basically if I pass this challenge I am going to go out and have a freaking blast being out in nature and enjoying the fun of it. Nature is awesome, veggies are awesome, and I kinda want to reward myself with toasted marshmallows on a real fire. 

Personal Development Goal - Wearing the Woad: Wear makeup 3x per week

A lot of people have some problems with makeup. A lot of people have the impression of "I don't have to wear makeup to feel beautiful. Screw society's beauty standards!" Well, I agree with you. You are right. You don't have to wear makeup to look beautiful or feel beautiful. I, however, like wearing makeup. I like wearing makeup because I like painting up my face and putting shimmery, sparklie colors on my eyelids or finding a new lipstick that is an absolutely gorgeous color of finally, finally experimenting with fake eyelashes. I also like faking bruises and making myself look like an old person. 

In short: makeup is fun for me. 

In shorter: makeup makes me feel good. 

I make all sorts of excuses as to why I don't wear makeup to work. I'm not trying to impress anyone. I don't owe anybody anything; I don't need to be held to some ridiculous ideal of women in the workplace while my coworkers just wear polos and khakis and they're considered work appropriate. Nobody is going to see me, so what is the point? 

The point is this: makeup makes me feel good. Makeup is fun for me. I am actively avoiding doing something that I enjoy, that is fun for me, and I can do every day to set the tone for the day. Usually, I avoid it because I don't want to get out of bed and I only make just enough allowances to put clothes on and go to work. When I look in the mirror, I see a person who is only minorly put together, who got to work/times with friends/dates with minimal effort. It impacts how I sit, how I work, and how I view myself through the lens of other people. I am afraid people see me as lazy or slovenly because that is how I see myself. I project my negative emotions about my appearance on other people. 

So, enough of that! We are not putting up with that crap any longer. This time, I'm wearing makeup because, gosh darn it, I like it. I spent a lot of money on this stuff (because this dwarf will shell out some cash if it's a good pigment) so I want to put it to good use!

PASS: 

A : 3x per week

B: 2x per week

C: 1x per week

FAIL: Not a single time this week. Not even a little eyeliner left over from last night. 

Reward: Sidhe's Blessing: Go play at the MAC counter! Get some new shimmer eyeshadow, a new blush, or maybe even see what the fuss is about this lipstick! Get the tools necessary to paint yourself up like you've been summoned to the courts of the fae. 

• Like 1

-S t a r . R u b y -

"I AM AN ETERNAL FLAME, BABY!"

heatherallyse

str: 1, dex: 1, sta: 1, con: 3.5, wis: 3.0, cha: 1.5

Challenge Chapter I : Exit, Blerch : Chapter II : Enter, Self : Chapter III : Phoenix Ascendant 

Challenge Zombie Arc: 2016 - Infected : Infected, Part II : Typhoid Ruby (Infected, pt II continued)

Hey, look! It's the completely awesome Battle Log I keep neglecting!

Heather! I was wondering what happened to you. Medication overhaul, huh? Blehh, I don't think it's possible to go through that without having to take a while to readjust and get back to normal. So glad you came back!

Heheh, now I have a great mental image of a sexy dragon sprawled out over a huge pile of swimwear.

Also, having bottles pre-filled for the day with the amount of water you need is a good idea! I have no idea why, but my body demands 128 oz of water daily, or it makes me feel like dehydrated crap. I have a 16 oz cup at work that I try to refill as soon as it empties, but I think it might be time to invest in a big plastic water bottle, the 32 oz kind.

And.. wait... did you have a girlfriend during your last challenge?! I might be mixing you up with someone else, but I thought part of that challenge was getting out there with online dating, etc. Did it work??

(If i totally misread you, then sorry about that. I tend to get [over]excited when my friends get significant others. ^_^;; )

SUNDAY: Total water fail. 

1: I did not drink any water and today (Monday), I am definitely feeling it. I got to sleep last night and I was all srts of jittery and weird and in desperate need of water. I woke up this morning wanting to drink whatever anyone could possibly put in front of me, which (as it turns out) was orange juice, an energy drink (fell off the wagon), and soda (no, seriously, I hardcore fell off the wagon.) I'm hoping that the water jumpkicks my system back into working again because, as it turns out, when I'm adequately hydrated I feel better. 

I didn't get in a pool, either, but what I did do was this: I acquired a bikini. I am not wearing said bikini until I pass this challenge, but I HAVE it. It was the last one they had at the Wal Mart and it was a grand total of eight bucks. I bought it because it is going to be my new "Heather is condensing" swimsuit and will likely be worn for tanning and swimming at Chateau Girlfriend and then expanding outward to being something I can rock at the YMCA. I am not, however, actually wearing said swimsuit UNLESS I pass this challenge. 

There's an added stake to this challenge now: if I fail, I have to return my swimsuit. I kind of have an added incentive now, because I hate returning things to stores. 

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

Challenge Chapter I : Exit, Blerch : Chapter II : Enter, Self : Chapter III : Phoenix Ascendant 

Challenge Zombie Arc: 2016 - Infected : Infected, Part II : Typhoid Ruby (Infected, pt II continued)

JMITCH!

MISSED YOUR FACE! And everything that is attached to your face, like the rest of you. 

I'm super glad ot be back, I didn't realize how bad I missed people and feeling like I was working on goals until I checked my inbox and someone responded to a post I made awhile back about mental health and fitness and I was like "Man, I didn't know people were reading that thread still!" And then I saw that I still had time to hop on a six week challenge. So, I was like "OMFG I need to do this again."

I miss my NF friends!

Also also: picture of swimsuit hoarding dragon ahoy! I saw one once that had a dragon hoarding teacups, so I figure it would be of a similar vein. As for the dehydration, I can totally understand that. On a fast day I'll drink 64oz at work and not bat an eye at it. I've just been a super thirsty person since, like, the history of forever. 

As for dating, while it hadn't been a goal of mine explicitly, it was something I was thinking about doing for awhile because it's like "Nope, it's time to do this." I actually acquired said girlfriend through my D&D group! I started dating our bard, so occasionally I get impromptu songs out of it. She kind of has mermaid hair, which is the best thing ever. 

Plus, y' know, I like her. You might hear more about the girlfriend in this thread, since she's become a pretty important fixture. She rides my butt about my caffeine consumption so that might be a plus to staying on the wagon next time around. 

• Like 1

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

As for dating, while it hadn't been a goal of mine explicitly, it was something I was thinking about doing for awhile because it's like "Nope, it's time to do this." I actually acquired said girlfriend through my D&D group! I started dating our bard, so occasionally I get impromptu songs out of it. She kind of has mermaid hair, which is the best thing ever. 

Haha, yes! :D Well done.

I make most of my friends through D&D groups. I may have forgotten how to socialize outside of tabletop games, actually. >_> But, dating the bard sounds like an awesome idea. ^_^ I hope things go excellently for the two of you.

Welcome back.

a_little_red_dragon_and_his_treasure_by_

You are interesting and I'm glad you're here.  I play a silly little game, that this is like a zombie (and other monster) apocalypse, that the doubts, temptations, disappointments, and accidents that happen to us are one or another sort of monster attack, that we're all like survivors during this disaster, cut off from each other but able to 'hear each other on the radio' (read each others' posts) and 'speak back' (in each others' threads).  We're not all facing the same monsters, the disaster is different in each part of the world (we all have different problems) but sometimes solutions have things in common.  We 'survive' by doing our quests throughout the challenge.  Maybe later things get better, and those of us who survived can help rebuild civilization somehow.  One of the people I play this game with seems to be making progress in clearing his life of monsters, it's really impressive.

You're on my radio now.  I'll be 'listening' to try and keep up with how it goes for you.  You don't have to play back, but I sure hope you do progress on your quests.  I for sure am cheering for you.

Reading your challenge made me think of this, you shiny player:

• Like 1

Level 1 NPC Assassin

Strength: 2Dexterity: 0 Stamina: 3 Constitution: 1 Wisdom: 4Charisma: 0

Current Quest  |  Previous Quest Current Stats

Weight Loss Goal: 40 of 116 lbs; 296 to 180

{progress='1e90ff'}34.5{/progress}

The Apocalypse - for Eskcanta

There was a quick, static sound on the radio. it barely came through. The voice on the other end sounded like she was cutting out, sounded like she was braving a tornado. The walls creaked and Heather Allyse looked around her. The furniture was overturned, things were broken but the windows- boarded up though they were- happened to be enough to keep them out. The zombies, the shambling dead that had chased her into this house. She thanked the Oklahoma weather for giving them trouble- rain and howling winds- but what kept them at bay also kept her trapped. 

Yes, she would have to wait them out in here. 

"Hello?" she said on her radio. She'd found a channel, a channel with other survivors on the line. They may have been spread out, but they were the first people she'd heard in months. "They're getting pretty bad out here, weather kept me in but, y'know, it's not the worst thing that could happen. I've got enough water to last me a couple weeks, provided I'm willing to go get it out the back door to get it out of the well. The fence will hold, so I'm glad I have a place to hole up. 

"Medical supplies are looking good, too, traded some pharmacy crap for some ammunition. Nobody cared that I grabbed all the freaking eyeshadow and foundation I could. I figure if I'm gonna survive the apocalypse I may as well look good, right?" Heather laughed a sort of amused-yet-desperate laugh. It's been hard being alone, but relief crept into her voice at the end. No matter what, there were people to listen to. She wasn't alone. "Really, I needed something I could use as camouflage- sometimes it's the other survivors you have to worry about and not the dead. The Oklahoma hospitality died out real quick once people started getting infected." 

"Still trying to figure out how to get past the zombies without risking infection. I figured draping myself in guts because it worked on The Walking Dead- you know, the video game? With Clementine and- ugh, oh my god, I sobbed for the entire last episode. No spoilers. If you find a working computer and have the fortune of playing on it, let me know because it's just amazing. 

"First one, not the second one. I haven't played the second one. Anyway, no more spoilers, I'm gonna see if they have any produce in here. I haven't had a vegetable in days."

---

Updates!

Water front hasn't been so good. The last two days I averaged 16 ounces, so I tried, I just wasn't getting the water consumption I was hoping for. I know it's the home stuff that's getting to me. I didn't get a water bottle for home yet, so I should be getting one after dance class. I haven't been swimming, either, but that's because I fell asleep in my car yesterday after work (not driving, of course!) and when I woke up the pool was closed. Sad times, indeed. I'm gonna try at least to get one trip in. I don't have plans tomorrow so I might be heading to the YMCA or the girlfriend's house for some floating around in the water. 

On the makeup front, though, I have succeeded. I almost didn't put any on this morning, but I slapped some mascara and some lipstick on and called it good. It wasn't the super nice makeup I would have liked to do, but again my brain decided sleeping was more important than doing things. 

New developments!

- Yesterday, the room mate and I went to a dietitian. It was an informative experience (ish), and we're trying to limit our carb intake. This may result in us being paleo in the future, but for now we're just watching our carbs. Starting next week, we're trying to intake under 200 (preferably under 180) a day. It should cut out a lot of the junk I eat because I love me some carbs. 

• Like 2

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

tangential note: I just finished my 64 ounces of water for the day. 

Makeup - check!

Water - check! 

Maybe I'll skip dance and go swim today. Choices, choices!

• Like 2

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

I love what you did here.

765758-bigthumbnail.jpg

Love it, thank you!  :onthego:

I was talking about the Apocalypse story, but that's not all that is going on here.

You posted.  About having trouble with water consumption.  And then your spirit camel clearly kicked into high gear -

5939c5a3784916c423f1b7367e8137f1.jpg

Or accountability, or something.... but for sure you kicked into high gear-

And you fixed it.  All that water drank. Quest work done for today - that's some surviving right there!

desert-morocco-yoga-camel.jpg

I like that.  Way to go, camel.  Way to go, you!

All things being equal, dancing is great for you, and swimming is great for you.  I would normally urge you, do either, and enjoy the heck out of it, and if you can and want to, do both - and enjoy them both to heck and beyond.

But for some reason, you made swimming a quest and did not make dancing a quest.  Why is this?

camel01_blog_image.jpg

Whyfore have you done this strange thing?  Oh well.  Both are still good for you, but it's swimming that you need to do to survive!

Either way - you're doing better and better.  Keep up the good work, keep on the radio, and keep on keeping on.  I and others cheer for you.  Good luck.

6355833827321011241827259110_listening%2

Level 1 NPC Assassin

Yesterday, there were vegetables. 

There were three whole vegetables yesterday, possibly four but I don't know what my Ethiopian food counts as. It was a mess and all the chick peas and the green beans and the lettuce and the potato stuff were kinda mixed together because I didn't pack it together right (I'm a terrible woman! Woe is me!)

So, here is the breakdown of yesterday:

SWIMMING: Sorry, didn't happen. Nope nope. 

knope_campaign_rect.jpg

(K)nope

Dancing did happen, though, so it wasn't a total no-activity day. 

WATER: Totally channelled the spirit camel. ended up drinking at LEAST 80oz of water. 

VEGETABLES: 3.5. I'm calling it there because vegetables are made of deliciousness and they all went in my face. I even divided up my takeout dinner and was ready to take it to work on 07/10/2015 but I drove off with the take out on top of my car and now it is lovingly dotting the highway. Two Outback Steakhouse ribs, steamed broccoli, and a plain sweet potato. So sad, I was really looking forward to eating all that again. 

MAKEUP: ON. MY. FACE. I kissed off my lipstick by lunch and had to reapply, but it was there!

-----

Q&A TIME!

Why swimming instead of dance? - The purpose of this one was to do something that is actually built outside of my schedule and bringing it in. My dance class is already in my schedule. More importantly, it's about the stats it's going to raise. My stamina score is stupidly low! Like, incredibly low. I have no stamina score. Dance would totally up my dex and stamina together, but I think that swimming alone would up my stamina. 

What are you counting as a vegetable? - I am counting things that get the all clear on my Paleo app. If it has a little green caveman, it's going to go in my facehole and down to whatever realm of sorcery my stomach is. 

@Eskcanta - OH MY GOD YOU FOUND MY CAMEL! That might end up being the lock screen on my phone now. A little tweaking and I may have something seriously motivational camel. 

• Like 2

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

*bows*  I am pleased to have been pleasing.  I am delighted that you are glad of that camel - I hoped it might be right for you to see.

religion-hermit-monk-enlightenment-searc

First, you have drank much water.  I have this to 'say' about that:

portrait-decorated-camel-jaisalmer-india

Second, you have danced but not swam in much water, so I shall add this to my 'speech'.... your camel currently outdoes you, but this is surely temporary (get some swimming done, and I share images of camels swimming with people.  Get much swimming done, and I shall grace your thread with moving images of camels dancing.  Yes, camels can dance, and quite well.  You probably want to see this.  I recommend you save it to be shown as a reward for you swimming muchly.... and not by just googling it yourself.)

5Mm0Rii.gif

Thirdly, vegetables add much to the discussion, and I totally agree with your definition of what to count as a vegetable:

doha_livestock_markets-camel_eating_fodd

So does the camel.  *nods*  Yep, you are winning all around here.

You are doing great!  I hope you're having a lot of fun with this.  No special makeup pictures, because that quest has a deep intrinsic reward for you already.  For the rest.... I've got pics.  Many of them are of camels.  Earn them, so I can continue to come to you bearing gifts!

220px-Eylcamel.jpg

Level 1 NPC Assassin

The Shambling Hordes...

She stood holding a bat. It wasn't ideal. She knew it wasn't ideal, and it wiped her out, took all of the energy that she had to bash in the brains of the impeding forces. 

They'd taken the door. 

She knew that the safe house wouldn't hold forever but Heather had hoped, had desperately hoped that it would hold for a few more days. A few more hours, a few more anythings while she could enjoy the comforts of available food and fresh water and the vanities of a mirror. She had clipped the radio to her belt, what her companions on the other end heard was nothing short of carnage. Hit after hit into something that, at some point, started to sound like a wailing young woman cracking watermelons and ribs and wood. 

There is no sound equivalent to the breaking of bone. There is no equivalent to the falling of the dead. 

"GAWD. FREAKING. DANGIT," she nearly cursed, slamming the door to the upstairs bedroom. Heather grunted as she pushed the dresser closer to the door, "they couldn't leave an axe downstairs? Seriously?"

She leaned against the wall, and then slumped. The young woman picked up her radio, pushed the button onto to see that her arduous task had kept the talk button down. 

"Lemme just tell ya," she panted, "keeping hydrated is important."

---

Hey guys!

I was a little woozy this week but kicking some tail on the makeup and water front. Not so much the vegetables. I need to recenter and channel my inner veggienator. (Like a Terminator, but instead of Sarah Connor, it's vegetables.)

• Like 3

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

Well done surviving!

I know you struggled, but camel dances are important.

Here are two.

Level 1 NPC Assassin