Weaker during menstruation?

Hi to women who strength train -

I've been doing my bodyweight strength routine for about 3 weeks now.  A few days before my period, and now on my period, I'm noticing I can't finish the routine!  Is it typical to be weaker during one's period, and  what do you do about strength training during this time?

It may also be my diet / more needs for iron.

Input?

Thanks!

It's totally normal. I get it about three days before but I'm usually fine once I start bleeding.

There have been a few threads about it in the past but it's totally normal. Don't worry about it and try not to stress about it at the time (although I'm notorious for crying through my workouts when it happens to me).

• Like 3

I don't weight-train but I do other exercises. Both back in my 'intensive cardio' days and nowadays, with calmer exercises that involve a lot of balance or holding my own body weight, I find that I'm noticeably weaker during menstruating. I also find that my tolerance of pain is significantly less too. Interesting thread idea! :)

Level 2

Elfin Water Bender

:: STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 1 ::

"Remember, your mind is the best weapon you have" ~ Farengar Secret-Fire

It's totally normal. You're weakest during your period and strongest during ovulation, which is the ideal time to try your PR. Then again, you're also most likely to injure yourself during that time.

(What I'd like to know, though, is how does overriding your cycle completely with the pill affect your perfomance. There seems to be way less information about that.)

POLARIS - LEVEL 4 AVATAR WARRIOR/MONK

(currently visiting assassins) | Challenge Thread

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

It's totally normal. You're weakest during your period and strongest during ovulation, which is the ideal time to try your PR. Then again, you're also most likely to injure yourself during that time.

(What I'd like to know, though, is how does overriding your cycle completely with the pill affect your perfomance. There seems to be way less information about that.)

I have a mirena coil which theoretically dulls out my system but doesn't seem to stop these fluctuations.

The pill would still have the same hormonal drop unless you take it straight through on a permanent basis.

The pill would still have the same hormonal drop unless you take it straight through on a permanent basis.

Yeah, but the pill prevents ovulation (I almost wrote 'evolution' :D), and the one I use only has a four-day placebo period and has stopped withdrawal bleeding. So you don't get the 'high' one gets during ovulation, but how does the placebo week affect strenght levels, since your estrogen and progestin levels drop during that time? And how much of a difference is there between a full week and a four-day placebo week?

POLARIS - LEVEL 4 AVATAR WARRIOR/MONK

(currently visiting assassins) | Challenge Thread

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

Yeah, but the pill prevents ovulation (I almost wrote 'evolution' :D), and the one I use only has a four-day placebo period and has stopped withdrawal bleeding. So you don't get the 'high' one gets during ovulation, but how does the placebo week affect strenght levels, since your estrogen and progestin levels drop during that time? And how much of a difference is there between a full week and a four-day placebo week?

I don't get a "high" because I don't ovulate, I just seem to get the pre-bleed drop.

I agree--totally normal. And it might not happen every time either. Plus it can happen completely out of the blue, which is annoying because you can be buzzing along just fine and then suddenly fail on something that was easy peasy just days beforehand.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

I'm only a few weeks in to my current program, I set my maxes during my last period and am menstruating again now. After three terrific weeks my session yesterday was just DIRE! I couldn't even manage my third set of squats at a weight that should have been easily manageable. It was the first time I actually dropped the bar mid-squat (thank goodness for safeties). I was a weepy mess too! Thankfully I had heard about this so didn't get too worried about it.

I'm also using a minera coil for the first time, after 7 years off hormonal birth control. I'm all over the place! I wish there was a better, non-hormonal option.

Battle Log - Record from the Front Lines

http://hblyne.com

I do aerial/circus and not just pure lifting but my strength level and also endurance level drop soooooo much when shark week is impending that it's ridiculous. You would think I would remember it's coming and not be taken off guard by suddenly having the strength of a kitten. UGH. I'm always mid-class like "WHYYYY does inverting feel almost impossible and why is climbing soooo haaard....oh wait... " Every cycle like clockwork this happens. Ugh!

• Like 1

Assassin extraordinaire!!

Current Challenge

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

Just joining in to say - me too! That time of the month has me doing a lot of restorative yoga. It gets so bad on some days that just walking up some stairs (ok, I live on the fourth floor, and on a hill, but still) is exhausting.

I say listen to your body, take it easy, and use the time to get in some stretching, some support exercises, or try something new and low-intesity for a day or two (or 4). 

And, I try to convince myself: rejoice that my cycle is working as it should!

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."