• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

The one in which Mad Hatter gets stubborn

LukeandYoda.jpg

I'm too impatient for the new challenge to start so I'm going to rebel and start... right now. ;) This new challenge will be super focused and ALL about handstands. The plan is to tackle handstands from every angle I can think of and hopefully finally make some real progress between now and the end of next challenge.

Main quest - 10 second consistent handstands

Goal #1: Pick one category to work on every day from the following:

​

A. Perfect form

• Line drills on the floor and against the wall
  • Endurance training against the wall
  • Balance drills

B. Strength

• Core and shoulder conditioning
  • Cool armbalances - elbow lever and crane

C. Rest

• Wrist and shoulder prehab or whatever’s needed to keep my body happy
  • Active straddle and front splits stretches

Goal #2: Pick one more category to work on every training day from the following:

A. Control

• Headstand play
  • Headstand presses
  • Elbow stands

B. Things that are uncomfortable

• Handstand forward rolls
  • Kicking up with the wrong leg
  • Tuck jumps

Goal #3: Take lots of video to check form

Because only perfect practice makes perfect.

Aaaand that's it. :)

• Like 10

¡dá´‰lÉŸ plnoÉ” I 'ÇƃuÇllÉɥɔ ÊÇu sᴉɥʇ ʇnoqÉ pÇʇᴉɔxÇ os ʇsnɾ É¯É I uÉɯ É¥O

• Like 10

New challenge I see, subscribed I have. Excited I am. :)

(Yoda to English translation) Awesome new challenge and subbed for the rebellion! Excited to see your progress!!

• Like 1

Interestingggg... and just when I'm getting excited for the next challenge too! I'm jealous of your shiny new early challenge :D

Shiny challenge has started off a bit slow because of acroyoga and climbing DOMS, but now it's on track. :)

Monday's climbing session was... interesting. I had loads of DOMS and still walked like a stork, but since I hadn't really used many pull-muscles during the weekend I thought, hey, I can just do overhangs and maybe I'll live. :P And I did, I even had quite a decent session considering. B on the other hand, who didn't feel as badly off as me, crashed and burned really early on and spend most of the session hanging around while I was stubbornly grinding away at a problem. Even if he didn't feel that bad in terms of DOMS I guess learning a lot of new physical skills in a concentrated amount of time takes its toll on the body and brain. Interesting.

Tuesday was the official start of my new challenge but I had so much DOMS I had to start it off with a rest day. :P I did do lots of boring wrist prehab, but my legs were too stiff and sore to stretch. 

Wednesday I worked late and was super tired when I got home and nothing happened.

Thursday I finally got started for realz! Had a big session, first I climbed for 1.5-2 hours and then I followed up with a 1 hour strength session where I worked on elbow levers and crane pose. I took lots of video which was very useful, I'll try to get it up soon. I also tried to fit in some headstand work but I had to give up after a few stands and presses. There's only so much I can do. 

On Friday I had a long and frustrating skills session. I started with lighter core work, then continued with form and balance drills. It went something like this: video skill => try to correct mistakes => video skill again => realise I'm still doing exactly the same thing => try to correct it again => video skill => aaaah. So frustrating!  :angry: But on the plus side I didn't take out my feelings on myself and didn't tell myself that I suck or anything like that. Just that it takes time. From my uncomfortables category I worked on tuck jumps and kicking up with my other leg. 

Today is a welcome rest day, the plan is to do my wrist exercises and stretch and rest my shoulders. They are definitely feeling it today!

• Like 7

It's always the cool ones to show up late...or early, I guess. Right? I've always seen you do great stuff on the boards and never got a chance to sub your adventures, so consider me subbed. I used to be obsessed with hand balancing and have slowly drifted from it so maybe your stubbornness can pull me back in!

Wolf

Bleh, I edited the videos today and it was almost as frustrating to watch as my session yesterday. :P I keep making the same mistakes over and over again and I'm not going to lie, there is a part of me that hates both training and posting things that I cannot do at all in public. Oh well.

Elbow lever

• In my first attempt I'm actually holding my feet up for a tiny fraction of a second even though you can't really see it. (I actually managed to hold a bent leg lever for a few seconds but didn't get in on tape) 
  • Then I'm doing something weird with bent legs, I don't even know what to say about that. I kept it in the video as a note to self not to!
  • In the second clip it's easy to where I'm struggling. The more I'm leaning forward the more I'm struggling to push up with my forearms and the more I face plant. I got an exercise from Jaap (KBGirl's dude) that I need to keep working on until I get the feel for it and learn to push with bent arms.

Crane

• First I tried to see if I could manage to float down in crane (I'm doing lots of prep work as well, but I wanted to see where I'm at) Answer is no, I'm collapsing almost immediately. But not quite, so that's something. I either need to get my butt higher or shoulders stronger. Or both.
  • A big problem that I have is that I can't keep my shoulders rounded when I'm in a vertical position. I get into a good position, but as soon as I lean forward I collapse. I took videos from a few angles but I just can't seem to get it. When I'm horizontal I have no issues. Boo.
  • Like 3

Handstands Friday

Lots of analysis coming up, feel free to read if you want but it's mostly a brain dump for myself. :)

1. Tuck jumps - why oh why can't I get my butt over my head? My body positioning looks more or less fine, I don't collapse tooooo much in the shoulders and I do get pretty close, but that last "tilt" of the pelvis feels impossible.
  2. The second clip is a drill that I got from my handbalancing instructor last year where the idea is to to lower down slowly through a tuck while keeping the shoulders on the wall. But looking at it now I'm not sure what it's for. There is an equivalent exercise for straddle press to handstand, but why the tuck? Except to make it harder. :P Also, kicking up with my wrong leg feels suuuuuper weird and uncontrolled. 
  3. I gave up on the previous drill and tried to lower into a normal tuck handstands using the wall instead. I've never worked on them before, so I was actually quite happy with the 4 second hold.
  4. Next comes a demo of a bad habit that I'm trying to undo, piking my hips. When I try to correct it always feels like I'm doing a banana handstand, but I'm really not. I should practice more against the wall to get it ingrained in me, because when I do think about it my form looks too bad. Not perfect, but not at all terrible.
  5. My nemesis drill. There are so many things going on, but videoing was really helpful. At first I struggled finding 90 degrees and kept having my feet too high up. Then I tried to correct that big arch, until I realised it's not really possible in that position. In order to lift up the other leg the hips have to come further back. So the next thing I focused on was to open up my hips at the same time as my other leg. It started getting better, but then I noticed that I'm using my feet to balance, especially on the trailing leg. More pointy toes! And for goodness sake I need to keep my legs together. I have a bad habit of bailing prematurely and as a result I separate my legs. Plus it's difficult to know where the legs are in that position. The editing is a bit misleading because the first attempt shown happened about a million times. The second happened once and I stopped after that. But I feel that I got a much better feel for the drill now and what to focus on.
  6. Freestanding kick-ups. I don't even know why I tried them, I was too tired by then and they didn't work at all, couldn't get a single hold where I stuck. But I included them in the video as a reference for things that I keep doing wrong. Not kicking high enough and trying to compensate by bending the elbows then straightening up, or kicking too much and not being able to control it. Not keeping my shoulders in position, piking the hips, all the wrongs... This is the kick-up that has "worked" for me before, but there's so much ugly when I do it. I did work on other kick-up drills with my hands on the floor, maybe I should spend more time making those really nice even if they are harder. (The way we're "supposed" to do it is to kick up into a big split, let the trailing leg float up and then lift it controlled rather than wildly swinging it)

Summary - handstands are hard and I got a long and slow process ahead of me. :P

• Like 5

Awesome :) subd, looking forward to the vids

Sweet! And videos are up. :)

It's always the cool ones to show up late...or early, I guess. Right? I've always seen you do great stuff on the boards and never got a chance to sub your adventures, so consider me subbed. I used to be obsessed with hand balancing and have slowly drifted from it so maybe your stubbornness can pull me back in!

Wolf

Awesome to have you here! :D If you have any advice I'm all ears. ;) 

Lol i found out that handstands are definitely harder to do than I thought they would be. I am pretty much where you are at getting up into them. Except I just whip my legs up and hope I can catch them in time before having to roll out. Keep it up and I look forward to seeing the progress :) i myself have been watching the goldmedal bodies video on handstands. Anyway keep it up :D

Oh there you are! Super focused challenge looks super nice! :) That's really cool. I'm already really excited about all the progress you'll make doing this! But I won't be surprised when you can't stand hearing the words handstands or push in a couple of weeks x) 

The tuck jumps- it helped me when i put my feet closer to my hands. Also it's in your head!

And the second clip drill... Jaap makes us do that too! I don't really get it either. He's not here or i'd ask. 

Lol i found out that handstands are definitely harder to do than I thought they would be. I am pretty much where you are at getting up into them. Except I just whip my legs up and hope I can catch them in time before having to roll out. Keep it up and I look forward to seeing the progress :) i myself have been watching the goldmedal bodies video on handstands. Anyway keep it up :D

Yes people don't realise just how difficult handstands are! Sure being able to do a banana handstands for long enough to take a selfie on the beach is not that hard, but to really be able to do them takes years of practice!

I try not to focus on it, but before my injury I could make my kick-ups stick quite frequently, and sometimes even got a decent hold out of it. Now I seem to have lost that skill. :( I really hope going back to basics will help.

GMB's stuff is always solid, keep watching those. And doing what they say. ;)

Oh there you are! Super focused challenge looks super nice! :) That's really cool. I'm already really excited about all the progress you'll make doing this! But I won't be surprised when you can't stand hearing the words handstands or push in a couple of weeks x) 

The tuck jumps- it helped me when i put my feet closer to my hands. Also it's in your head!

And the second clip drill... Jaap makes us do that too! I don't really get it either. He's not here or i'd ask. 

I hope I will finally make some progress! I've never really put in frequent enough work on a consistent enough basis, so I'm excited to see what will happen. :) But yes, I probably will get sick of it by the end of next challenge. :P 

Thanks for the advice on the tuck jumps! I'll try it next time. I'd love to find out about the drill too, I like to understand why I'm doing an exercise. I just wish I could make my body actually do it too. ;)

Oh I forgot to write it up in my challenge earlier, but the plan is that if I do well enough and can prove to myself that I can put in consistent work, then I get to go to a hand balancing workshop. :) I have my eyes set on a workshop in Dublin in mid-september... If I do good, but not quite good enough I'll get a private lesson. 

• Like 4

I was worried about the dumbbells of Damocles hanging over your head at the end of the elbow lever video haha. I used to do elbow levers on the tables in the school Physics classroom but didn't know it had a name. I think would be harder on the floor though - do you know? (I'm not going to investigate now as my body is is massive recovery mode).

I do feel you pain with the handstands - why can some people magically do them and how did they sell their soul in exchange :P It will be interesting to look back in 8 weeks' time to see whether the pointers you've listed above are still relevant or whether you've mastered them.

I love this! And I love how scientific you are about hand balancing. I mean, of course you are... It's wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

so much climbing fun and yay, thanks for videos!!

I know this cycle of watch go "aha!" try again and then realize "shoot, did it again" and so on very well from my pole training at home. I'd watch my video go "Oh, I only need to stretch my arms and then it'll work fine!" to my body once in the move saying something like "no-o, can't stretch those arms, not on" - sigh

But it does switch eventually, so stay with it! Also there might be a different hint showing up that'll really make the rest possible all of a sudden.

Slow and steady, Hatter, you are on a great journey and you do want to appreciate each step :)

Also wanted to tell you that to me all those videos are super inspiring. Makes me want to train handstands every day all of a sudden... just to even get to the points where you are... good thing we have long lives still before us ;)

You are spectacular. Subbed for the inspiration - handstands are on my (very long) list of things to work on in the future. Thanks for the videos; it helps us newbies to see the work and patience that is required. Rock. On.

You're making me blush!  :redface:

I was worried about the dumbbells of Damocles hanging over your head at the end of the elbow lever video haha. I used to do elbow levers on the tables in the school Physics classroom but didn't know it had a name. I think would be harder on the floor though - do you know? (I'm not going to investigate now as my body is is massive recovery mode).

I do feel you pain with the handstands - why can some people magically do them and how did they sell their soul in exchange :tongue: It will be interesting to look back in 8 weeks' time to see whether the pointers you've listed above are still relevant or whether you've mastered them.

Haha, it's a trick perspective, they were actually next to me. But they do look looming. :) Elbow levers on the floor leave less room for error, kind of like using parallettes for L-sits I reckon. But I'm not sure as I can't do them either way. :P

I don't think anyone can magically do them, but it sure feels that way! I really hope I can get rid of some of the bad habits in 8 weeks time, but I need to be super strict with myself because I've had them for a really long time.

I love this! And I love how scientific you are about hand balancing. I mean, of course you are... It's wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

Clearly just trying things and failing hasn't worked, so I need to put on the science goggles. Hopefully it will bring results. :)

• Like 1

so much climbing fun and yay, thanks for videos!!

I know this cycle of watch go "aha!" try again and then realize "shoot, did it again" and so on very well from my pole training at home. I'd watch my video go "Oh, I only need to stretch my arms and then it'll work fine!" to my body once in the move saying something like "no-o, can't stretch those arms, not on" - sigh

But it does switch eventually, so stay with it! Also there might be a different hint showing up that'll really make the rest possible all of a sudden.

Slow and steady, Hatter, you are on a great journey and you do want to appreciate each step :)

Also wanted to tell you that to me all those videos are super inspiring. Makes me want to train handstands every day all of a sudden... just to even get to the points where you are... good thing we have long lives still before us ;)

Can you be my voice of reason during this challenge? :) I'm already getting frustrated by watching myself. It's really helpful, but I'm finding it difficult to not having a brain meltdown. :P

• Like 1

Can you be my voice of reason during this challenge? :) I'm already getting frustrated by watching myself. It's really helpful, but I'm finding it difficult to not having a brain meltdown. :tongue:

at the risk of being exposed to all the shiny inspiration?!?! Of course :D

Just hope I manage to be around enough, poke me if I start slacking on attendance

Just not this coming week - I won't be online at all from Tue to Sun

Also, you are improving rapidly on your self-talk habits, this is Level 2 on the no-mental-slap thing now and you CAN do it!!!