The one in which Mad Hatter gets stubborn

Oh well, I'm going to take a long bath now, and forget about today and hope for a better day tomorrow.

That sounds like an excellent plan.

It's not surprising that you had a poor physical day.  When my mental game is totally off, I usually climb poorly, too.  You've had a lot of awesome days recently, so just shake off the bad one and come back stronger tomorrow.

• Like 3

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Sucky...I guess we all have those kinda days, unfortunately. I hope the long bath does you well!

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Class: Vigilante/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 178#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Gotham Project Pt. 2

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Hi Neva! I'm actually quite comfortable in crow pose already, it's crane pose that I'm working on which has straight arms instead of bent arms. The theory is the same about floating up, but I'm struggling a lot more with the strength and not the balance.  :nightmare:

Crow pose to handstand that's a beastly press!

I should have looked up the difference. I might be occasionally practicing crane then, or straightening my arms from crow. I'll pay more attention today and see what happens. I had a good try yesterday, no timer, but my butt was up high and while I was holding I curled the whole pose back inward to a nice, tucked, form. I usually have strength not flexibility issues, similarly, but I would certainly hope you didn't have balance issues with all the work and circusing you do.

Some days though, one just has to cut losses and fill it with easy/fun stuff that would otherwise serve as procrastination on a better day.

EDIT: 

Nope, totally bent arms and I haven't even noticed. And shaking arms. I managed an 8 then an immediate fall back out of it then a 12 second hold though. I was going to post that I was probably overly optimistic with the handstand goal, but now I can see it is a definitely, because I cannot imagine holding that with bent arms.

Onwards to tomorrow! *hugs*

Oops, what a terrible official challenge start. HP sucked me in, I just read book 5, 6 and 7 in 3 days... :/ Back to the grind tomorrow!

This seriously had me laughing out loud, I knew we had stuff in common ;) A book a day keeps the doctor away? Or alzheimers.. or boredom.. or being boring. I don't know. But let's go with something positive.

Does this mean you'll start on Alexandra Quick books now? x)

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl stomps on some frogs and goes to sleep (maybe)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Thanks guys.  :) The bath definitely helped, so did a good night's sleep. Fingers crossed my body will cooperate at training later today.  :tongue:

I should have looked up the difference. I might be occasionally practicing crane then, or straightening my arms from crow. I'll pay more attention today and see what happens. I had a good try yesterday, no timer, but my butt was up high and while I was holding I curled the whole pose back inward to a nice, tucked, form. I usually have strength not flexibility issues, similarly, but I would certainly hope you didn't have balance issues with all the work and circusing you do.

Some days though, one just has to cut losses and fill it with easy/fun stuff that would otherwise serve as procrastination on a better day.

EDIT: 

Nope, totally bent arms and I haven't even noticed. And shaking arms. I managed an 8 then an immediate fall back out of it then a 12 second hold though. I was going to post that I was probably overly optimistic with the handstand goal, but now I can see it is a definitely, because I cannot imagine holding that with bent arms.

12 seconds is really good! And don't worry, straight arm crane and handstands are two very different poses, and the handstand is much easier to hold strengthwise. In a handstand your body is aligned in the sense that the joints are stacked on top of each other and that requires a lot less strength. In crane your shoulders need to come over way past your hands which is much harder on the shoulders and core.

I was all like... hey, let me get back into reading threads. Oh I know this MadHatter lady...

giphy.gif

... idk

Hiiii! :D

Onwards to tomorrow! *hugs*

This seriously had me laughing out loud, I knew we had stuff in common ;) A book a day keeps the doctor away? Or alzheimers.. or boredom.. or being boring. I don't know. But let's go with something positive.

Does this mean you'll start on Alexandra Quick books now? x)

Haha ok, something positive. :)

Maybe I'll try some of the books, but not right now as I need a break from reading! I'm a bit all or nothing when it comes to books and games and shows, I get obsessed for a few days but then when I finish I find it a relief to get back to real life. I'm quite glad my addictive spells don't last very long, otherwise I'd have veeery unhealthy habits by now, eating junk and drinking energy drinks in the wee hours of the night... :P Or something. (An alternative would of course be to do the whole moderation thing, but it's never been my style. ;) I get too absorbed in the worlds and stories...)

• Like 1

Totally feel you on the getting completely sucked in, except I haven't gotten sucked in a while and am completely overdue! 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I still can't shake off the tiredness, and I'm beginning to wonder whether it's physical or mental. We've been having the worst spring/summer, I can count the number of proper summer days on one hand, and I'm worried that SAD times are already kicking in. I really, really hope not, but all the signs are there. :( I'm going to take the next week off anyway as I feel I need a bit of a break now.

My handstand session this afternoon was long and sluggish, which wasn't very surprising considering I was tired, but I still didn't perform much worse than usual... I did a bit of filming and there's close to zero improvement in the last 2-3 weeks since last video. :(

• I liked the first clip because it's one of the few times where I managed to push out of a piked position into a straight position without overcompensating. (I still fell down right after but there was a moment of stability).
  • Usually what happens in that drill is that I'm not quite finding vertical and I overbalance. I need to pay more attention to where the vertical line is.
  • I can manage the occasional straddle hold now which is good. The holds weren't as good as last time, but at least it's not a fluke.
  • Had to try the arch HS to straight HS drill but with the legs together after Lucky suggested it. Wobbly, wobbly, wobbly. It's a little bit more difficult to pull out from the wall, but otherwise it feels similar. It feels like the wobble is my main issue in handstands, if I can ever manage to do this drill smoothly that'd mean a lot of my problems with handstands would go away. (But then I'd have new ones to replace it I'm sure. ;))
  • I also tried a similar drill to the L-stand drill, but closer to the wall. The idea is to bring one leg to the other, and then bring it back to the wall and switch feet. My alignment is a bit off and I found it rather uncomfortable, so I only did it twice and with a lot of hesitation.

Besides that I messed around on the rings a bit, doing splits and bird's nest and skin the cats.

• Like 3

I hope you are having a fantastic day today!

thank you for posting videos of your attempts. It's very helpful to see someone actively working at - and getting better with - something. I'm still working on confidence kicking up into freestanding headstands, but the handstands are next. I'm coming for you, inversions!

You aren't going to get the butt you want by sitting on the one you have.
Challenges: 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10  • 11 â€¢ 12 • 13 • Current

Aspiring Success Story: start 242     current 179.8     goal 142  |  Total Lost: 62.2 lbs  Follow me on Facebook

Half-Nymph Assassin Warrior • Level Up Club Alumni • Nerd Fitness Academy Member • Camp Nerd Fitness Attendee

Ah, is the shitty weather all over Northern Europe then? :( We had a July day at 16'C this week and Cambridge is supposed to have good summers! There's still another 7 weeks of probably glorious sunshine though so let's at least make the most of it when it does return :)

Working out when tired can be rubbish - you seem to be learning a lot about how to manage that though.

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

I'm quite glad my addictive spells don't last very long, otherwise I'd have veeery unhealthy habits by now, eating junk and drinking energy drinks in the wee hours of the night... :tongue: Or something. (An alternative would of course be to do the whole moderation thing, but it's never been my style. ;) I get too absorbed in the worlds and stories...)

Energy drinks to last all night with a book? Studying I get, but a book? 

Otherwise - completely agree. I love how it feels to be so immersed that I can say 'I finished it in x hours, WITH bathroom and food breaks.'

I hope you are having a fantastic day today!

thank you for posting videos of your attempts. It's very helpful to see someone actively working at - and getting better with - something. I'm still working on confidence kicking up into freestanding headstands, but the handstands are next. I'm coming for you, inversions!

Cheers! The videos make me cringe so I'm really glad if anyone finds them at all helpful.

Ah, is the shitty weather all over Northern Europe then? :( We had a July day at 16'C this week and Cambridge is supposed to have good summers! There's still another 7 weeks of probably glorious sunshine though so let's at least make the most of it when it does return :)

Working out when tired can be rubbish - you seem to be learning a lot about how to manage that though.

7 weeks of glorious sunshine is way optimistic for Sweden. :P But I really hope August will be a bit sunnier, then I'm thinking I'll have to flee to Southern Europe for some mini-holidays , and a big long winter holiday...

My strategy is just going to be to work out anyway, even a crappy session makes me feel better than sitting on the couch. And if it really doesn't work at least I gave it a shot. 

Energy drinks to last all night with a book? Studying I get, but a book? 

Otherwise - completely agree. I love how it feels to be so immersed that I can say 'I finished it in x hours, WITH bathroom and food breaks.'

Nah I'm just kidding. I just had a vision of an alternative universe where this would be me :P

hardcore-gamer-smoking-pizza-slob.jpg

So i'm making a kettlebell analogy, bear with me. We just had nationals right? And two weeks before that I had everyone do test sets and I had people nearly in tears because the test set is only 7 minutes and they have to do 10 at the competition... it was hard, they barely made 7 etcetc. Some were shaking heads and asking wether they'd improved at all in the last couple weeks. 

Then at the actual competition they blew themselves away. 

That is not just competition adrenaline, but also the effect of a full weeks rest after 4/5 weeks of training really hard. 

Ofcourse handstands are very skill based, but still your shoulders should be suffering from accumulated work by now. 

Blow us away at the beginning of week3? :)

Maybe I'll try some of the books, but not right now as I need a break from reading! I'm a bit all or nothing when it comes to books and games and shows, I get obsessed for a few days but then when I finish I find it a relief to get back to real life. I'm quite glad my addictive spells don't last very long, otherwise I'd have veeery unhealthy habits by now, eating junk and drinking energy drinks in the wee hours of the night... :tongue: Or something. (An alternative would of course be to do the whole moderation thing, but it's never been my style. ;) I get too absorbed in the worlds and stories...)

This could be describing me. Getting absorbed into one particular world is why fanfiction exists ;)

Also my addictive spells last longer / are more frequent when i'm not doing particularly well x)

• Like 2

I think maybe, you are not noticing the improvements and focusing on the not-quite-there-yet stuff (boo SAD, stop it!). I started watching the video and was like wooooooooooo! Look how much less wobble and she didn't go to far and and...

Whatever voodoo magic you have that keeps you going even when frustrated and tired and "not improving" is working (maybe slower than you'd like). Keep it up - side down! ;)

• Like 2

Love as thou wilt.

Thanks for both your comments, that was really, really, really helpful.

Today I had a complete meltdown at climbing again. A different kind, one where I completely refused to believe that I was capable of climbing red problems, let alone black. So instead of trying to climb more difficult problems I spend the session flashing almost ALL of the blue problems. And when the guys tried to make me do anything harder I was like nope, nope, nope can't do anything. My logical side completely shut down and I came up with excuses for everything, like the red that I could climb were actually supposed to be blue and yada yada. Logically I've been acting off the charts ridiculous and trying to make me see sense must have been like talking to a wall. And I'm almost dreading going back on Sunday because there's no more blues to climb and reds are too hard in my head. For being a logically minded person I can really be crazy sometimes. 

Maybe I am just getting tired and frustrated at the almost-there-stuff as Annyshay says. Handstand improvements are teeny at best, or at least I can't see it. I know that handstands are difficult and slow to improve at, but it's still frustrating. Especially for someone that never trains consistently and now that I actually am I want results! Now! :P And before my climbing meltdown I was getting closer and closer to a black problem, but now I completely lost confidence to ever be able to do it. :(

I have been working quite hard at handstands and climbing for the past 3 weeks and I have to admit that KBGirl is right and my back is super tight and constantly a bit sore. I actually think that the reason why my kick-ups have suddenly deteriorated is because my lats are so tight. But I've booked in a massage on Monday, so that should fix me up! 

Today I also remembered that I've signed up for a summer intensive course in pole which starts in two weeks. I thought about bailing but I think it will be really good to take a break from handstands and climbing and do something different. It's still going to be super shoulder, back and core intense but at least it won't be exactly the same movements and it will be really fun! I might still do a bit of handstand work but I'm going to time box it and keep the sessions short. It's a long time until the workshop but before that I should also take a few days break. Other than that the plan is still to go hardcore with the handstands and fight through the frustrating parts... And if it still doesn't work then I'll hopefully get help in the workshop, but at least I will have tried! 

• Like 7

You've already tried very well and worked very hard, and for what it's worth i'm proud of you :) I feel silly writing that, but heck, it's difficult for us underpants collectors to crack down and do consistent work, so. yea.

The climbing problem honestly sounds like a bunch of hormones, no offense or not taking you seriously intended. Hopefully the problem goes away asap :) *hugs* to make it better!

• Like 2

Have you ever found way to tell your negative internal chatter to STFU? ;) Its super hard for me, especially when I feel like I'm not succeeding.... Cause, assassins, we're a miiiiiiite bit competitive, especially with ourselves. And it sounds like you just need a break from that self-critical compare-y thing.

Also, you're awesome and totally inspiring, so please keep talking and posting. No disappearing, ok? Ok!

• Like 1

Love as thou wilt.

You've mentioned a few times that you get into these negative spirals some days - do you know at the time that you're being illogical even if you can't do anything to stop it, or is it only afterwards when it becomes clearer? If it's the former, then maybe have a back-up plan for when your headspace is just not right so you end up doing something useful without frustrating yourself too much? Maybe just do basics of some description (non-PR strength work, form work on easy- or moderate-difficulty skills, etc.) and leave the interesting things for your standard days.

My most frustrating sessions are when I've decided I'm going to get a shedload of PRs and then the first ones don't happen and I gradually get more and more frustrated and unable to achieve my best, and I know I should just switch strategy but seldom convince myself to. If I do switch those sessions to "just do some boring work and feel good about the process" then I feel much better.

The path to physical skill mastery is so fickle... one moment we are breaking new ground everywhere like veritable champions of time and space, and the next week we're in an inescapable rut and it all seems so futile. But it were easy all the time, then it wouldn't be half as cool ;)

• Like 3

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

I still can't shake off the tiredness, and I'm beginning to wonder whether it's physical or mental. We've been having the worst spring/summer, I can count the number of proper summer days on one hand, and I'm worried that SAD times are already kicking in. I really, really hope not, but all the signs are there. :( I'm going to take the next week off anyway as I feel I need a bit of a break now.

•  

Besides that I messed around on the rings a bit, doing splits and bird's nest and skin the cats.

Sorry about the tiredness and struggle. I like what KBgirl said, let yourself rest a bit and then see. On the climbing too, maybe just do the easy ones for a bit. You'll do them confidently, probably learn a bit too. Sometimes when I step back and do the easier stuff I can really focus on form. Then when you're ready to tackle the harder stuff you'll be ready.  

What are bird's nests?

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I've been there with the increasing frustration spiral, where you alternate between great sessions and crappy ones without really having ones in between.  Honestly, for me it's mostly about mind frame and perspective.  After my great sessions, I'd expect everything to work that well.  Then, my crappy sessions weren't necessarily that bad, but I'd expect too much of myself and become increasingly frustrated, which in turn makes me climb worse and worse.  And then you cross that threshold where something fun, like climbing, becomes so frustrating that you can't really enjoy it at all.  And that sucks.

I think it's great that you have the pole lessons, since it sounds like you need a short break from climbing and maybe a change of scenery.  I wish I otherwise knew the answer.  I've been spending the last few challenges brainwashing myself into just having fun and not letting myself get frustrated by poor performance.  It's tough, though.  

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

The climbing problem honestly sounds like a bunch of hormones, no offense or not taking you seriously intended. Hopefully the problem goes away asap :) *hugs* to make it better!

Haha that just made me laugh. :) And you're probably right, my chemical balance was probably out of whack. I already feel better after a good night's sleep and lounging in the sun all day.

Have you ever found way to tell your negative internal chatter to STFU? ;) Its super hard for me, especially when I feel like I'm not succeeding.... Cause, assassins, we're a miiiiiiite bit competitive, especially with ourselves. And it sounds like you just need a break from that self-critical compare-y thing.

Also, you're awesome and totally inspiring, so please keep talking and posting. No disappearing, ok? Ok!

Nope, but I often wish I came with an off-switch. :tongue:

I promise I won't disappear! If there's anything that gets me out of a funk it's being here. :) You guys are amazing and I really appreciate the support.

You've mentioned a few times that you get into these negative spirals some days - do you know at the time that you're being illogical even if you can't do anything to stop it, or is it only afterwards when it becomes clearer? If it's the former, then maybe have a back-up plan for when your headspace is just not right so you end up doing something useful without frustrating yourself too much? Maybe just do basics of some description (non-PR strength work, form work on easy- or moderate-difficulty skills, etc.) and leave the interesting things for your standard days.

My most frustrating sessions are when I've decided I'm going to get a shedload of PRs and then the first ones don't happen and I gradually get more and more frustrated and unable to achieve my best, and I know I should just switch strategy but seldom convince myself to. If I do switch those sessions to "just do some boring work and feel good about the process" then I feel much better.

The path to physical skill mastery is so fickle... one moment we are breaking new ground everywhere like veritable champions of time and space, and the next week we're in an inescapable rut and it all seems so futile. But it were easy all the time, then it wouldn't be half as cool ;)

Oh yes, I know perfectly well how stupid I sound and what I need is a hard slap. :tongue: Sometimes I adjust my workout, or try to detach myself from the results and focus on the process, but with climbing it's more difficult. Once I get it in my head that I can't climb it ends up a self fulfilling prophecy... 

Saw this graph on GMB today, so very true. Need to embrace the suck!

18318_890788414309970_446845299002560346

Sorry about the tiredness and struggle. I like what KBgirl said, let yourself rest a bit and then see. On the climbing too, maybe just do the easy ones for a bit. You'll do them confidently, probably learn a bit too. Sometimes when I step back and do the easier stuff I can really focus on form. Then when you're ready to tackle the harder stuff you'll be ready.  

What are bird's nests?

Haha the problem is that I've done almost every single easy problem. And even if I don't want to admit it on stupid days they are a bit too easy... I just need to fight for the red (and black) ones.

Bird's nest is a trapeze track but I found it transfers nicely to rings. :)

1528.jpg

I've been there with the increasing frustration spiral, where you alternate between great sessions and crappy ones without really having ones in between.  Honestly, for me it's mostly about mind frame and perspective.  After my great sessions, I'd expect everything to work that well.  Then, my crappy sessions weren't necessarily that bad, but I'd expect too much of myself and become increasingly frustrated, which in turn makes me climb worse and worse.  And then you cross that threshold where something fun, like climbing, becomes so frustrating that you can't really enjoy it at all.  And that sucks.

I think it's great that you have the pole lessons, since it sounds like you need a short break from climbing and maybe a change of scenery.  I wish I otherwise knew the answer.  I've been spending the last few challenges brainwashing myself into just having fun and not letting myself get frustrated by poor performance.  It's tough, though.  

That's a perfect description! It's not just my own expectations, I also feel like the other guys have expectations. I know they're only trying to be encouraging and push me to do harder things, and they are in fact really helpful. But I can't help putting pressure on myself when there are problems that they think I "should" be able to do.

I don't know what to do about it either. Except thinking more like a dude. :P 

• Like 5