What is YOUR favourite vegetable?

jackien1

Mushrooms. I love them. I make stuffed mushrooms with spinach, milk, black pepper and some parmesan cheese. I love them fried using frylight or, if I'm feeling cheeky, good old fashioned butter. I love to roast them, throw them into other meals, ie. pasta. They can be used for so much. So yup, that has to be my favourite vegetable. The only other vegetable that comes close is potatoes. Whilst they don't have an awful lot in them for a girl like me they're wonderful. I make them baked and top with chilli, (fake) chicken korma or cream cheese. New potatoes rubbed in herbs are nice too, or roasties - mmmh, roasties. But I also quite like asparagus. Ever since I tried the roasted asparagus recipe on the nerd fitness site its been something of a go-to recipe for me. :)

Level 2

Elfin Water Bender

:: STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 1 ::

"Remember, your mind is the best weapon you have" ~ Farengar Secret-Fire

This is tough, because I like so many. It's probably a tie between zucchini and red bell peppers. I usually stir fry them in some sort of way and combination. Both are incredibly versatile too.

How about a glass of purgatory with a splash of heaven?

I like 'em all, properly cooked.

Kale is good oven-toasted with olive oil and salt. It's also good blanched, wrung dry, and blitzed into pesto with cheese and walnuts.

Brussel sprouts are not bad caramelized or grilled, and a good lemony or creamy dip helps the sprout haters.

Carrots are good raw, dipped in things, quick pickled, or shaved into salads. You can also roast it and mash it, but I never bother.

Sugar snaps and snow peas are good in stir fry with a drizzle of sesame oil and a sprinkle of savory topping.

Asparagus is good oven-roasted and dressed with lemon juice and a sprinkle of parmesan. If you've got the tender young kind, just cut into pieces, give it a quick pan cooking and chill for salad.

cabbage is appropriate chopped, drizzled with lime juice, and piled onto tacos. It is also good as kimchi, or in cold weather, sauteed with onion and vinegar.

onion goes with pretty much everything. I simmer some with butter or olive oil before cooking just about anything vegetative, or you can fridge pickle it and add it to salads and sandwiches.

sweet peppers: dip raw, add to salads, pickle, or char and add to pesto or use as a sandwich topping.

broccoli: roast until browned in spots, dip into something yummy. Sweet young buds you can eat raw.

tomatoes: slice big ones for salads or put on sandwiches or pizzas or pasta or rice or tacos or .... Little ones just pop in your mouth, or put on things. They're good with cheese. If you really wanted you could cook them into a sauce, but canned tomato sauce is so cheap and fresh tomatoes are so expensive, why bother.

flavorsome leafy greens, like arugula or spinach, can be put into sandwiches, stir-fried with garlic, added to soups or salads.

turnips: roast and mash, or put in chicken soup. Same for parsnips.

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Hard to pick just one, since I find it kind of depends on the season, where you live, etc as to which vegetables are just alright or excellent.

If I had to pick it would be tomatoes, in the south of France there is such a huge variety of colors, shapes, tastes. I eat a big tomato salad several times a week and I always love it.

Currently in Ireland, tomatoes are not even close to as good so I've been eating a lot more root vegetables. Butternut squash is simply amazing, and can be cooked with so little effort. Cut it in half, scoop out the stuff, throw some nice butter on there with five spice (+cayenne pepper if you want), and sweetener if the squash needs it (honey, maple syrup) but I personally don't. Cook in the oven for 40 minutes, take out, eat with a spoon, rejoice.

Garlic and onions are also the essence of making everything delicious, I don't even count them since I use garlic or some type of onion in pretty much everything I eat.

• Like 1

Brussels sprouts, caramelized in butter. They have to be fresh or frozen, though. If they sit too long (like, more than a day or two if you buy them fresh), they get gross and bitter.

I also love spinach and mushrooms, together or separate, pretty much any way you can cook them. I like them both better cooked than raw, though, becaus they both have kind of a squeaky texture raw that doesn't appeal to me.

only what you take with you

Challenges: Starstuff Wars Episode I, II, III, IV, V, VI  

NF character ~ Fitbit ~ Strava ~ Smashrun ~ MyFitnessPal

Food Log

I love steamed broccoli with a dab of melted butter and a sprinkle of sea salt.

[ Level ?? ]  Thunderlord of the Legio Thundaris 

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

EGGPLANT. EGGPLANT IS BASICALLY MY FAVOURITE THING EVER.  I'm currently trying to work out the Perfect Miso Eggplant (nasu dengaku) Recipe and it's not working so far but dammit, I will get it right!  My standby is roasted in oil until it goes soft, and the smaller bits are a little burnt, even, with plenty of salt and whatever spice I'm feeling at the time: cumin is amazing, or paprika, or sometimes five-spice.

Second to that, I'm a huge fan of all things dark, leafy and green. They're so versatile, they go in everything, they add depth to flavour ... really good base veggies for a lot of things.

But I never met a vegetable I didn't like, personally. I could go on about the perfect recipes for [X vegetable] all day ...

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

I LOVE onions and put them in almost everything. When I have to chop them up I always sneak a few pieces. They add so much flavor, especially white sweet onions.

I eat so much salad. I put a bit of garlic salt on the leaves and I'd eat them by themselves at that point. nom. But I also add some cheese, a few croutons, and whatever else I've got handy that sounds salad-y. Recently I bought en entire roasted chicken (they were out of my favorite chicken breast) and I've put bits of it on a salad as well.

If you steam broccoli and then add lots of delicious spices and occasionally shredded cheese is amazing.

Cooked peas with a little bit of margarine and some salt are delish.

I find that I'm a fan of the peas and carrots mixture that is sold frozen. I cook it and spice it up a bit. 

I tend to buy my veggies (except my salad) frozen and I cook them as needed. I currently have most of a one pound bag of stir fry veggies, most of a pound of broccoli, and some of the pearrots mixture. However, my preference is for salad. (Thanks mom)

Grey Jedi Ranger

The Jedi Valkyrie Chronicles: Novice

Jedi Battle Log

“That's the key isn't it? To know the darkness will always remain, but how you choose to face it, handle it... that's the important part. To not let it consume. To focus on the good, the things that fill you with wonder. That struggle with the darkness is worth it to see such things.”

- Amren, A Court of Silver Flames by Sarah J. Maas

Challenges#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45

My go to vegetables I buy at every shopping trip are: tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers, green onions and some sort of salad.

I eat a lot of salads for lunch and I personally like a lot of variety or a lot of colours in my food. 

I also buy Chinese cabbage sometimes, because you can easily eat it raw in a salad (I prefer Chinese cabbage instead of iceberg salad) or if I plan to make an asian style soup or stir fry, I cook it, which is also very tasty.

I aslo love the combination of paksoi, mushrooms and bean sprouts, 

seasoned with some soy sauce… mmmmmmm… getting hungry just thinking about it :D

As for other veggies, I buy bags with mixed veggies, like:

- cauliflower, broccoli and carrots

- mushrooms, broccoli, snow peas/ snap peas, onion

My battle log:  BeaVer's fat-losing journey

Spoiler

Do a 1min plank

66%
66%

Lose 12kilo - 26lbs (1% = 120grams, 1kilo = 8,3%)

21%
21%

Aparagus is godawful, and is probably the worst vegetable.

That said, most vegetables will be very tasty as long as you prepare them right! For me, that usually just means roasting them: cut up, spread on parchment paper, drizzle with olive oil and seasonings, stick it in a 425F oven until it smells delicious and looks like it's about to burn.

I love me some dessert vegetables, those are my favs. Taro, sweet potato, pumpkin... anything that typically finds its way into something sweet instead of savory. After that, probably yucca and napoles but for things I actually cook/prepare myself? Mushrooms! I will eat all the mushrooms prepared all the ways. My fav thing to do is take button mushrooms and saute them in butter and white wine.

芸術ã¯çˆ†ç™ºã !

Goals:

Actually stick to this whole foods diet

Drop ~5% body fat before surgery

I like a combo of roasted pumpkin (I think it's called squash in the US), baby spinach and red onions. It's especially good with a soft goats cheese.

A lot of vegetables taste good with a cheesy white sauce or gravy. Maybe you could try this to help train your brain into eating more of them.

There are lots of great veggie combo's, but as already mentioned in the above comments, you have to find out which way you like them. Don't be afraid to experiment :)

Level 2 | Adventurer | Lycan

Little by little, a little becomes a lot. 

How the story begins..     Doodlie Buddies

Challenge 1   Challenge 2

Str: 1      Dex: -       Sta: 4       Cha: 1       Con: 5       Wis:  4