• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

So for sizes, anyone have suggestion? True to size or is that too small? A whole size up like running (road) shoes or is that too big for things like traverse walls? I have an amazon gift card and found a couple models on sale so I could snag a pair at sub 50 bucks but I have no idea what size to go with. 

• Like 1

My trail running gloves fared really really well for my Spartan Sprint. I do minimalist shoes only because I have strong dancer feets.

I'd say for sizing it probably depends on what is comfortable for you as well as the sizing of the specific shoe. I always read obsessively through amazon reviews before I buy anything etc. I like a fitted shoe personally so they don't get sucked off in massive mud pits and stuff. :)

I do all my running, hiking, walking, and obstacle course type things in my Merrell Pace Gloves. I have a pair of the original model and of the second one and now it looks like they have a 3rd version out and I can't speak to that specific model but I loved all the prior ones sooo hopefully! If you like any kind of padding this shoe is definitely not for you tho! :)

• Like 2

I'm a fan of the Inov-8 trail shoes, particularly the TrailRok's. I got a pair from a website called 6pm.com discounted like $45. Now, I spent $79, it was a freakin steal! Cuz you don't want to spend $40 on a pair that may last you 1 race and the training-you want quality. Check out 6pm and see if you can find a good deal. But from the research I've done- Inov-8, Merrell, and Iceburg tend to be the top of their class for OCR shoes. Plus, Reebok makes specific OCR shoes-those just tend to be pricey.

I hope that helps :)

Wolf

• Like 1

I just finished my first race with my Supers, the Reebok OCRs and they were INCREDIBLE. (Wear high socks though, the backs of them sit high). 

Also got them off 6pm for 60 bucks. The best part? Rinse the mud off, use a toothbrush to get the rest of the harder spots, soak them in a bucket with some detergent for a few hours and tada- they look brand spankin new. 

I've heard good things about the Acceleritas4 by Icebug, I'm keeping my eye out for crazy deals on 6pm. 

My trusty Salomon Speedcross 2 have served me well for over 10 years. Something like 12 or maybe 15 actually. As a way to go out in a blaze of glory, I wore them on my first ever OCR, Legion Run, on September 11th and they performed admirably. Then I had to replace them. The model is outdated and the current Speedcross 3s are way too expensive, so I picked up a pair of New Balance 590s. Wore them last Sunday during a 8,5km trail run, they were pretty good but slightly hurt my feet since I'd only bought them the day before. Will be using them more and wearing them for a Spartan race on April, so I should be able to properly test and review them with experience

All my OCR's this year have been done in Inov-8 Mudclaw 300's. They are very very comfortable and grip in the mud extremely well. They are also have good drainage so you don't have to spend too long running with half a lake in your shoes! After every race I've just had to rinse them off and they look like new again. They are true to size as well.

My husband has Salomon Fellraisers and loves them. The cleats aren't as deep as the Mudclaw's but they still grip quite well and drain water very very quickly. He says they come up a little small though so maybe go half a size up.

Hope that helps!

BTW, cleaning tip: Don't machine wash or dry your shoes. 

Rinse them well under tepid water, take an old toothbrush to remove any tricky parts. Fill a bucket with water and detergent and let shoes sit for 3-24 hours. I've done both, 3 is a minimum. Rinse again, air dry and boom, look at your brand spankin new trail shoes. 

• Like 1

Just gonna bump this up instead of starting a new thread:

Have any of you had a chance to try the Icebug shoes yet? I'm looking into the Acceleritas or the Zeals. I currently run in Asics GT-2000s that I've had for about 5 years, and while they're fine for road running and gym, I need some trail shoes for training and the Spartans I have scheduled (Boise Sprint, Utah Super, and either the Seattle, Windsor or Taranto Beast, depending on where I'm living at the end of the year). 

My ASICS have a 9 mm heel drop, the Acceleritas are 4mm, and the Zeals are 6 mm, so it'll be a transition to a more minimalist shoe, which is a little scary to me cause I've heard that you can get overuse injuries when transitioning. 

Anyway, if any of you have any experience with Icebug, let me know what you think! I'm leaning towards the zeals because of the less intense heel drop and increased support of the wrap-around midsole, but I'm just not sure...

I'll probably get the Golden Shovel reward for unearthing this thread, but whatever.

I think about buying entry-level OCR shoes, but I don't want to spend whole lotta money. My current options are 

1. DECATHLON - Kalenji Kipprun Trial  https://www.decathlon.pl/buty-kiprun-trail-tr-id_8513301.html

Link is to polish site, but probably will work for other languages, as there is product number.

2. New Balance 610 - IF i find them in my size (EU 45 - 46)

I wouldn't buy some Chinese no-name, but on the other hand Merell, Salomon or Reebook are beyond my budget. 

Any thoughts? 

@DarK_RaideR - I know you are from Greece, have you seen those Decathlon shoes?

https://www.decathlon.com.gr/gr_gr/kiprun-trail-tr-men-s-trail-running-shoes-black-el-s164313.html here's link to your decathlon site

[edit]

I found Adidas Galaxy Trail CG3979 on a sale in my budget. Are they worth buying?

On 6/12/2019 at 1:51 PM, aramis said:

Any thoughts? 

@DarK_RaideR - I know you are from Greece, have you seen those Decathlon shoes?

https://www.decathlon.com.gr/gr_gr/kiprun-trail-tr-men-s-trail-running-shoes-black-el-s164313.html here's link to your decathlon site

Haven't tried these, to be honest, but Decathlon has a reputation for quality stuff at affordable prices. Also, don't let the name confuse you, they're not a Greek company and only recently opend up shop in Greece (actually a warehouse and e-shop). I grabbed some good OCR gear from them while in Italy myself (gloves, a bag etc) and it was great.

Also, if you wanna talk OCR shoes, you just gotta tag @Charlie_Quinn, @EricMN, @Jarric and @jonfirestar

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

don't let the name confuse you, they're not a Greek company

Yeah, I know, but I know you are from Greece, found they have store there and thought you could know something about it. AFAIK Decathlon is French. 

Thanks for opinion on decathlon, but any thoughts on Adidas model? Or, to be honest, any trail shoes in  ~50€ budget worth buying... 

On 6/12/2019 at 11:51 AM, aramis said:

1. DECATHLON - Kalenji Kipprun Trial  https://www.decathlon.pl/buty-kiprun-trail-tr-id_8513301.html

The lugs on these look a little too small to use on an OCR. They might be OK for a race that's not too muddy, but they probably won't give a lot of traction on a typical mud run.

I'd recommend looking at Inov8's range of OCR shoes or Salomon Speedcross. You may find some older Inov8 models for around your budget, if you shop around. Not sure if sportshoes.com deliver to where you are, but they usually have good discounts on OCR shoes. If you're planning on doing lots of OCRs, it's worth paying a bit more for some shoes that will last. 

My Sister-In-Law does OCR's in these Asics Gel-FujiRunnegade. She's an occasional OCR runner (about twice a year) and they've lasted her for a few years.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I need to be more patient with sale-hunting (and get myself a piggybank).

BUT...

I'm at the beginning of my journey here, and I need to get SOME shoes for off-road running. I plan to start in real OCR race next year, and for now I learn to run at all. That's why I asked for entry-level shoes. 

I train in rural area, on gravel road and meadow, so road shoes won't do. Now I use my bushcraft boots. I know they are no runners, but they have nice grip on inclined gravel and are lighter than my other (army) boots. 

Chiming in a bit late. 

Not sure if you have access in your area, but look into outlets for lower cost (earlier model) shoes. Salomon and Merrell (brands), REI (Store) all have decent sales if you don't mind getting an older model shoe. I bought a pair of Inov-8's for about $60 US that I love and have worn for a few years. 

Also, if you have to choose either trail or OCR specific shoes, my suggestion would be to go with the trail shoes, particularly if you are starting out. Two reasons: 1. you may find OCR's aren't your thing. You'd be wrong ( ;) ), but it happens. 2. Running should be your focus right now. You'll definitely struggle, depending on how muddy your race is - which is location dependent, but becoming a strong trail runner will benefit you more long term than struggling through a few races while you save up money. 

• Thanks 1

Considering all pros and cons I can think of, I decided and bought inexpensive trail shoes. I also checked Salomon's Speedcross 4 shoes and fell in love instantly :) 

I already put another jar on my shelf. If I put in 3€ weekly, I will afford them in less than a year absolutely effortlessly. After all, I plan to run my first real OCR next year... and I will use this time to really learn to run.

Thanks everybody for advice.

Cheers :) 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 9:35 PM, aramis said:

I also checked Salomon's Speedcross 4 shoes and fell in love instantly :)

I used to own a pair of Speedcross 2, would certainly recommend the entire Speedcross line if you can get them at a decent price.

• Like 1