Lower back pain - posterior chain alternatives?

Hello, 

So about 6 weeks ago I hurt my lower back (I think doing Good Mornings) and while my physio says it's a soft tissue injury and just needs time... I'm finding it frustrating. I can squat okay and bench fine, but deadlifts... 

• Conventional deadlifts - even at warmup weights - hurt. 
  • Sumo deadlifts hurt.
  • Rack pulls hurt.
  • RDLs hurt at weights too light to be challenging.
  • Hyperextensions mostly don't hurt... until they do. In any case I'm only doing them with 20kg or so. 
  • Jefferson deadlifts hurt less... but based on experimentation tonight, my back then hurts too much to squat. ARGH.

So, ideas needed: is there anything else I can do for posterior chain while I'm waiting for this injury to abate? I'll even consider machines at this point :) 

Otherwise I'll just keep squatting and benching and hope the squats mean my deadlift doesn't completely go to shit while I recover. 

Yeah, I'm just getting back into the gym, and my core is super weak.  My legs seem to be able to take squats just fine, but I'm wiggly enough to feel some soreness in the back.  I'm careful to do any exercise that might hurt my back with weak at the beginning, after stretching.  Still, I get sore and drive home with the seat heater on... in 100 degree heat...  I'm working on getting my core back into shape, but I know if I miss the gym for over a month due to serious back injury, I may never get back on this horse.

Less "I know what will help" post and more of a "I feel you", but I hope it's at least encouraging to know you're not the only one.

• Like 1

Took me 3-6 months to fully come back after my last lower back tweak. They suck.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

YAY! NF takes over the British Classic!

I'll be there cheering on the Sunday (you're a 72?). Tankweazel and I are on the Saturday (as things stand, anyway).

I am! (this year anyway And hopefully. Knock on wood etc.). One of my training friends is competing on the Saturday so I should be down to cheer then too :) 

I stopped lifting completely for a while after tweaking my lower back on a pull. The pain sucked and the stopping sucked, and the fear of deadlifts sucked DK balls. After several false starts, I found one stretch on mobilitywod.com that helped me recover: You lie flat with your butt close to a wall, put your feet on the wall as if in a really deep squat, and push your knees out. I wouldn't do it on lifting days, but the day before... What a difference it made. I'm back to normal now and have passed most of my old max weights. Mostly, it took time, rest, and a complete deload. Back injuries can become chronic so easily.

I hope you recover fully in time for your competition!

balance in mind ... body in motion ... making inertia my bitch

Lv.2 warmonkey | 2 STR, 3 STA, 3 DEX, 5 CON, 4 WIS, 2 CHA

Challenges: Current | Previous

I'm having a similar thing and it's frustrating as all get out. Though what I can't do are (back) squats with any real weight. Front squats feel fine though, so that's my sub. Deadlifts are okay at low-ish weights and reps, but I'm probably going to give them (as well as the back squats) a miss for a couple more months still. In the meantime I'm trying to focus on things to help me with my hilariously low core strength and finicky squatting mechanics, both of which I think contributed to my problems. Lots of stretching, planking, and third-world squatting in my future.

It sucks, but permanently messing up my spine would suck more. I'm looking at it as an opportunity to focus on the upper body basics that I'm still terrible at, like push-ups and pull-ups.

I stopped lifting completely for a while after tweaking my lower back on a pull. The pain sucked and the stopping sucked, and the fear of deadlifts sucked DK balls. After several false starts, I found one stretch on mobilitywod.com that helped me recover: You lie flat with your butt close to a wall, put your feet on the wall as if in a really deep squat, and push your knees out. I wouldn't do it on lifting days, but the day before... What a difference it made. I'm back to normal now and have passed most of my old max weights. Mostly, it took time, rest, and a complete deload. Back injuries can become chronic so easily.

I'm definitely going to give this a shot!

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

My Challenge Thread

I'm definitely going to give this a shot!

Give it a good 10-15 minutes if possible; I think your back will thank you!

Elliott Hulse talks about a lumbo-pelvic cross in his series on deadlifts, specifically about the balance and timing among the four muscular regions in the cross. I found this helpful. Seems I was straining my lower back and hip flexors while my abs and hams just went along for the ride.

http://youtu.be/aafbPDRcFQc

• Like 1

I hope you recover fully in time for your competition!

aw thank you, and thanks for the tip - I'll give that a go. You hold it for a while? 

• Like 1

aw thank you, and thanks for the tip - I'll give that a go. You hold it for a while?

Yup, you stay there for a while, then relax up if you have to and then go deeper if you can, and so on. It feels incredible, but it's best to take it slow and easy at first.