Thist's letters to Princess Celestia

Oh Hai!  This is my first time recording my progress on a public forum.  Not gonna lie.... It's a litle scary!  But that's not a reason to not do something (double negative anyone?) so here we go!

My name is Caitlin (or you can call me Thist, that's my usual screen name) and I'm almost 30 years old and am (was) in the worst shape of my life.  That is until I stumbled across Nerd Fitness.  Something about it just clicked for me.  I was so sick of being overweight and unhealthy that I needed to make some changes.  I have the will to do anything and it was a matter of crafting my suit of armor (or my body) to match my will.  So that's what I started to do.  One step at a time, I began making lasting changes in my life.  I'm 3 months into my fitness journey right now and I'm down 23/60-80lbs and I feel better than I have since I was a teenager!  I believe in celebrating small victories and tracking thoughts and feelings during this journey.  So that's what this battle log will be.  I'm also a big MLP fan so I figured I'd add some flare in and make these my letters to Princess Celestia.  I really relate to Twilight (I would sooo try and find a book to host a sleepover!) so it's even more fitting :)

FANMADE_Alicorn_Twilight.png

Here's my expectations.  Log all of my victories (small or big).  Log reflections I have throughout the journey.  Post my monthly weigh ins and measurments. 

Feel free to come along with me on the journey!  I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions! 

Thist

Level 1 Human Assassin Warrior Ranger?

Take care of your body, it's the only place you have to live ~ Jim Rohn

Current Challenge

Push Up Progress: 0/7

So here's where I'm at so far! 

When I first started following the NF program I was doing strength training 3x weekly and yoga 1x weekly.  Since then I injured my knee which took me out of the gym.  I am trying to go back to the gym but I feel like I'm cheating because I'm not doing any of the "hard" movements like squats and lunges.  But as of right now it's strength training 2x weekly (not using many compound movements), yoga 1x weekly and biking 4-7x weekly depending on rain and how I feel.  I am an assassin but my boyfriend is a scout so we took up biking to find a happy medium.  So far I'm loving that, but we're not really pushing the envelope there.  It's more casual riding. 

Here are my begining stats taken on 4/24/15:

Weight 216 lbs (I weighed 219.1 the week before)

Neck 14.5"

Chest 49"

Bicep R 15"

Bicep L 15"

Waist 41"

Hips 49"

Thigh R 29"

Thigh L 29"

Calf R 17.5"

Calf L 18"

At this point I was struggling to do boydweight excersizes and hadn't really added weight to anything.  I could barely complete 3 circuits of the BW1 workouts. 

My stats as of 5/27/15:

Weight 210.6lbs

Neck 14.5"

Chest 48"

Bicep R 15"

Bicep L 15"

Waist 39"

Belly Button 45" (I added this because I carry my weight in my "apron" area)

Hips 48"

Thigh R 28"

Thigh L 27.5"

Calf R 17"

Calf L 18"

At this point I had progressed past wanting to die after every set.  I began taking my time during the circut in order to control my temperature.  I know that the fast I go through the circuit the stronger a workout it would be, but I wasn't enjoying myself blasting through it.  I would get nauseous and overheated.  I also progressed to using weights for dumbbell rows and started looking for alternatives for lunges.  I had injured my knee by this time and was pushing through the pain. 

My stats as of 6/20/15:

Weight 204.2lbs

Neck 14.5"

Chest 47" (much to my bf's dismay!)

Bicep R 15"

Bicep L 15.5"

Waist 38"

Belly 44"

Hips 48"

Thigh R 28.5"

Thigh L 28"

Calf R 17"

Cal L 17.5"

At this point I had seriously messed up my knee and was looking to change up my routine.  I had progressed to BWL2 and was doing rows in each workout.  I was lifting 35lbs at my peak on each arm in rows.  I was using 15lbs in hip raises.  I had progressed to doing inverted pushups from knee push ups.  I also realized a lot about me and pushups see My First Six Week Challenge

So my big changes have been:

-14.9lb

-2" Chest

+.5" Bicep L

-3" Waist

-1" Belly

-1" Hips

-.5" Thigh R

-1" Thigh L

-.5" Calf R/L

I also feel better than I have in a very long time!  My diet is staying clean (currently a lvl 5 paleo in the academy!).  I have adjusted my calorie count to account for my weight loss.  I am using MFP and working at a 1490 count.  So far my diet has been the easiest of my changes (which is crazy lucky for me!)! 

I am due for my weigh in this weekend, but I wanted to get this info in to give you guys an idea of where I'm at.  I will also post some pictures soon!

Thist

Current Challenge

Ok time for my 3rd month check in!  So far I am down 25 lbs and am feeling great!  I'm officially past the point of bouncing back from hurdles.  I have had many obsticales thrown at me and am now comfortable fielding them.  Life is a cruel mistress and likes to challenge us, this grind is about learning to deal with those obstacles and stay on course.  So that's what I'm working on.  I'm still nursing a knee injury so I haven't logged many gym hours but I have started consistently bike riding and walking.  Both are at a leisurly pace but I'm ok with just creating the good habbits.  I'm still killing it in diet which is my life raft in this game!  I want to hit the gym so hard, but my stupid knee hurts so bad and my doctor wont even attempt to diagnos it :(  Hopefully I'll recover and be back in the gym in no time. 

But ne who!  Onto numbers!

Current Numbers (Variation since the begining):

Weight - 194.4lbs (-25lbs)

Neck - 14" (-.5")

Chest - 45" (-4")

Bicep R - 15" (X)

Bicep L - 15" (X)

Waist - 36.5" (-4.5")

Belly - 45" (X)

Hips - 47" (-2")

Thigh R - 27" (-2")

Thigh L - 27" (-2")

Calf R - 16.5" (-1")

Calf L - 17" (-1")

All in all I'm happy with my results.  There has definately been a decrease in my rate of loss.  That's to be expected but depressing non the less.  I am definately fighting for every inch and pound and this journey is getting very grindy.  My head knows that this is normal and to just keep at it, but my body is fighting me tooth and nail :(

Here are my progress photos so far (one day I'll figure out how to do spoilers I swear!)

IMG 2019

IMG 2018

IMG 2017

IMG 2016

IMG 2015

IMG 2025

IMG 2024

IMG 2023

IMG 2022

IMG 2021

Thist

Current Challenge

Dear Princess Celestia,

I've hit my half way point!  BOO YA!!  30 lbs lost!

Naturally hitting a milestone causes one to reflect and I realized something pretty awesome about my journey so far.  It wasn't perfect!  I stumbled and fell, picked myself dusted myself off and started again.  Many times.  But it's the picking yourself up that matters.  When I started this journey I was aiming to strength train 3x weekly, I don't do it at all anymore.  I started because of an injury and then I realized I just didn't like it.  Now I excersize intermittently, but am mostly focused on my diet and lifestyle.  This new life of mine was not the life I invisioned 4 months ago, but that's ok.  It's working!  So I'm learning to be ok with what I'm doing even if it's not "perfect"

Thist

Current Challenge

Dear Princess Celestia,

Here for my monthly weigh in!  This last month has been a test in integrating my lessons with real life.  I went on a vacation and totally blew my diet which resulted in me feeling like death.  While I'm not happy that I didn't feel good, I at least learned how important sticking to paleo is to my wellbeing and I wont fall that far again.  I've also had a few special occassions that called for desert and I particiapted in them.  I didn't feel like death after, but it definately slowed my weight loss progress.  But I'm ok with that.  I'm learning to weigh what's important to me and to compinsate which I think is important.  I would say the word for my 4th month was BALANCE. 

My regimine now consists of eating less than 1500 calories daily, level 5/6 plaeo, walking daily, yoga weekly and doing the Total Abs program from darebee.  I like this routine, but I envision it changing once I start school. 

Onto my progress:

Current Numbers (Variation since the begining):

Weight - 189.2lbs (-30lbs)

Neck - 14" (-.5")

Chest - 44" (-5")

Bicep R - 15" (X)

Bicep L - 15" (X)

Waist - 37" (-4")

Belly - 43" (-2")

Hips - 46" (-3")

Thigh R - 27" (-2")

Thigh L - 27" (-2")

Calf R - 16" (-1.5")

Calf L - 16.5" (-1.5")

I'm thrilled with my progress.  The fact that I'm still loosing even though fitness isn't my number 1 focus is so awesome.  I feel like all of the hard work that I put in in the begining is paying off in spades right now. 

Here's my photos: (I still haven't figured out how to spoil stuff)

IMG 2104

IMG 2103

IMG 2102

IMG 2101

IMG 2100

IMG 2075

IMG 2079

IMG 2078

IMG 2077

IMG 2076

Thist

Current Challenge

Dear Princess Celestia,

It's been a long time since I've written and a lot has happened.  I decided to disembark from my lessons for a few weeks in order to level up in other parts of my life.  What I learned through that experience is that this "fitness journey" isn't about getting through the journey to reach the destination.  I am fundamentally changed by the habits I've begun creating.  I was miserable eating like crap and not working out.  I am this new person who yearns to be healthy.  That was rather eye opening.  

That being said, I've also realized that finishing my degree is extremely important to me.  More so than I thought when I decided to go back to school.  I often feel completely overwhelmed by the amount of things on my plate and that is why I gave myself permission to slack on my fitness.  That didn't work, so now I'm back at the drawing board.  I'm working through a few things right now and hopefully will have that sorted by next semester.  

The last big change that has happened for me is I have a whole team of supports now.  I have new mentors, friends and family that I am surrounding myself with in order to improve my environment.  After coming home from camp I began understanding how important my community is to me, and I'm working extra hard to solidify my team behind me.  One of the mentors that has really made an impact is Kate Galliett.  She's helping me craft a body that will be able to take on any and all challenges.  It's amazing that I met her as an instructor at camp and now officially feel like I can call her a friend.  I still get shy when I reach out to her, but she's been so amazing and staying approachable to me.  The other mentor I found at camp came into my life very unexpectedly.  I didn't plan on taking any of Dave Ursillo's classes at camp, but was convinced by a stranger that it was the right choice.  BOY WAS IT!  Dave has had a lasting impact on my life and is the origin of my latest mantra "be unapologetically you".  Through that mantra I am doing all sorts of things I wouldn't have done before out of fear.  

So here's my take away themes over the last few months:

My fitness journey is now who I am, I love being this person I'm crafting

I'm strong enough to allow myself to be vulnerable and that means that I can ask people to be my friend without fear

The right people will want me in their life and I don't need to apologize for wanting to be in their life

There isn't anything that I do that I should be embarrassed of

Having the right people in my life will be the difference between a happy me and a less than happy me

I can't wait to see what lessons the rest of my journey teaches me

Caitlin

Thist

Current Challenge

Dear Princess Celestia,

It has been so long!  I was off fighting Academia, and she proved to be a much more formidable opponent than I thought.  

Image result for book monster gif

But for all intensive purposes I have stood up to the vicious Academia and I have come out triumphant!  Now it's time to focus on me again.  A lot has happened since I wrote last.  I have walked away from my fitness journey almost completely.  There are habits that I had worked on previously that have stuck.  For instance, when I cook at home it's usually clean "paleo-ish".  When I workout, I use good form, warm up and cool down, and lift heavy.  I still practice yoga when I can, and have tried to keep a very mindful, gratefulness focused frame of mind.  

The biggest change perhaps, is that I am getting married in November!!  That is the reason that I have decided to come back to my fitness journey.  I had made such good progress in 2015 using the rebellion and everything NF had to offer.  I want to get back to that place.  I know I can't recreate the past, but hopefully some of the magic of the rebellion is still there for me and I can get back to putting my health and fitness in a priority seat.  

My Big Why:  As vain as it sounds, I want to look drop dead gorgeous on my wedding day

Goals to Get Me ThereEat clean, Lift Heavy

Here are my begining stats taken on 4/24/15:

Weight 216 lbs (I weighed 219.1 the week before)

Neck 14.5"

Chest 49"

Bicep R 15"

Bicep L 15"

Waist 41"

Hips 49"

Thigh R 29"

Thigh L 29"

Calf R 17.5"

Calf L 18"

My stats taken yesterday 10/29/17:

Weight: 213#

Neck: 14"

R Bicep: 15"

L Bicep: 15"

Chest: 47.5"

Waist: 40"

Belly: 46.5"

Hips: 49"

R Thigh: 26.5"

L Thigh: 27"

R Calf: 17"

L Calf: 17"

Difference:

Weight: -3 #

Neck: -.5"

R Bicep: /

L Bicep: /

Chest: -1.5" 

Waist: -1"

Belly: /

Hips: /

R Thigh: -2.5"

L Thigh: -2:

R Calf: -.5"

L Calf:  -1"

A few notes about these measurements.  Since I started with tracking my measurements I have decided to add my belly circumference.  It is measured 1 inch below my belly button, and it's important for me because I have always had a "tiny" waist (meaning proportionately, my waist doesn't grow very much).  But in recent years my belly has been the place that holds my bloat.  Also, I know have my fiance measure me which might reflect some of the changes like my thigh (he doesn't measure in the exact same place I would).  Some things to celebrate.  I finally have symmetry in my calves (haven't had that since 8th grade!).  My starting weight is 3# less than what it was when I first started.  Also, my chest and waist are down from my first starting measurements as well.  That might not seem like a big deal, but to me it shows that my body is fighting to not revert back to that same shape.  

Last house keeping bit.  I have actually not finished all of the MLP seasons, so I apologize if some of my theme stuff doesn't quite hit the mark.  I still resonate with Twilight Sparkle, and I still love the show and my theme.  It just kind of got away from me.  And no, I have not seen the movie and I do not plan to until I'm caught up on the seasons.  

Thist

Current Challenge