• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RollingStoney

[Teagarden] A Rolling Stoney gathers no Dust

I bombed out of last challenge because I took on way too much during a time I knew I was going to be super busy with work, so this time I'm cutting it waaay back down to just two quests. This should also help me focus on a new direction my life is about to take, in that I'm starting roller derby! wooo! I might add in another quest before the challenge starts but right now this is all I'm going to focus on. 

QUEST 1 - NUTRITION

Pt. 1 - On work days, I will eat 3 big meals. 

Pt. 2 - On days off, track everything that goes in my body. 

I've put on weight, and I need to stop the upward trend. Weekends are tricky because my motivation for everything goes away so that's why I need to track what I eat; the knowledge that I have to log what I'm eating generally stops me eating quite so much bad food. Work days are often full on and I spend the whole day on my feet, so I just need to eat enough to stop myself falling over. A breakfast smoothie gets me through the morning, a good lunch will get me through the afternoon and dinner should hopefully fill me up enough to stop me fading away. 

QUEST 2 - DO THE DERBY (training)

GO TO ALL TRAINING SESSIONS. This is non negotiable. I will have a team of people depending on me one day and I want to be in good shape to help us win all the points!... One day when we finally play a real bout. I think there is two sessions a week, on Monday and Wednesday. I must organise my life so that I have no reason to not attend. Also there's a minimum attendance for training so I have no choice in the matter really. xD

- Plus, on WEEKS 1, 2 & 3 - do 30 minutes of yoga on an off day from exercise (and preferably work but whatever happens)

- In WEEKS 4, 5 & 6 - do one Bodyweights session compromising of Push, Pull, Leg and Core movements, working on them calisthenic moves I've been wanting to be able to do. This is in addition to yoga and derby training. 

QUEST 3 - BE THE DERBY (knowledge) (new!)

Spend 1hr a week reading about / watching videos about roller derby. This could be reading the rules, or watching bouts or tutorials about skating techniques or game strategy. I need to start understanding the game I'm eventually going to be playing! 

That is it. Simples. In case you were confused, "Rolling Stoney" is my derby name ;)

• Like 6

Following along for roller derby adventures!!!

Welcome petefeet! :D Nice to see your supportive face as always.

I really need to start keeping better track of you. Anyway, following for Aussie awesomeness.

Junior! Haii! Nice to see you again :D I keep jumping guilds, I guess that doesn't help. :tongue:

Week 0, Day 1

Worked 7:30 - 4:30pm, went to first derby training. 

Nutrition (work day):

B/fast: Breakfast smoothie (banana, dates, oats, nut butter, water)

Lunch: Chicken salad wrap

Dinner: Lamb chops with mashed potato and chicken gravy.

Did graze on sandwiches and cake however because excess catering food was lying around at work. Tsk. :tongue:

Derby

First night of derby training was awesome! we started with an off skates warm-up but with all our padding and helmets on, doing grapevine steps in "Derby stance" (standing in a half-squat the whole time), then walking lunges. Pshh, easy, I thought. Then we put our skates on. xD At least I wasn't the one who fell over and nearly decapitated Mr. Tea with a flying skate (he's fine, by the way!) But I was a little bit wobbly getting up and into position. They showed and taught us how to fall on one knee and two, how to stand on one foot, how to stop in various ways, and how to "sticky skate" - skating without lifting your feet off the floor. I only fell on my butt twice and didn't even crash into anyone or anything. 

This morning I am thankful that I've done lots of squats and aren't in terrible shape anymore, and that I have done lots of yoga, because I hardly hurt at all! Wednesday is an off-skates fitness session; sounds like it will be a body weights sort of thing, which I'm actually pretty excited about. 

• Like 2

*sits on you to get you to stay put...found and following you :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Week 0, Day 2.

Slept in. Worked 12 - 4:30, no training today.

Nutrition (work day):

B/fast: Breakfast smoothie

Lunch: Leftover chinese food

Dinner: Bean quesadillas

Other: chocolate mud cake end, bowl of ice cream. 

• Like 2

Week 0, Day 3

Slept in, Worked 12 - 4:30pm, went to off-skates fitness training.

Nutrition (Work day)

B/fast: Breakfast smoothie

Lunch: creamed egg salad sandwich

Dinner: Teriyaki chicken, veg and rice noodle stir fry

Other: Piece of chocolate cake end

Derby

Off-skates fitness training for the first time ever! I was pretty excited to do this "doing exercise while being told what to do instead of having to think about it" thing for a change. It went something like this;

Jogging warm up

Run-through of stretches to do every day / when sore (most were things I already did!)

Squats

Jump Squats

Wall-Sits

Calf Raises

Warrior Poses

Lunges

Lunges with a twist

Step ups

more Calf Raises

cool-down backwards jogging

stretching

There might have been more or less but it was basically that. xD Needless to say, I had jelly legs for a good while there.

• Like 4

Very interesting challenge. I'd like to follow just to see what goes into preparation for a derby.

I also bombed out of the last challenge, partially for taking on too much. Sometimes a return to simplicity is very much a good thing.

• Like 2

Very interesting challenge. I'd like to follow just to see what goes into preparation for a derby.

I also bombed out of the last challenge, partially for taking on too much. Sometimes a return to simplicity is very much a good thing.

Even though my motto for last challenge was "do less" I still ballsed that up! So this time I'm doing it even more literally. xD 

You have to pass a few skills tests to be cleared to play official derby bouts; the fresh meat one - basic rollerskating skills -  then I think the second one is learning the contact parts and game rules and such. So yes, it will be interesting to see what else they'll get us doing. 

Popping in to watch the Rolling Stoney kick Derby arse!

Yay! 

Yay Tea! Awesome insight and plan in how to keep moving forward. ;)

I was thrown a great lifeline when I found the derby flyer I think. A reason to exercise and to meet people and have something to aim for!

Sounds like a killer workout, great for conditioning and endurance I'd imagine. Good that you seem to be enjoying it though.

I never really did high reps of things during my exercises, but the endurance side of it is definitely going to come in handy when we have to be on skates for half-hour games I reckon. xD

Hooray for Jelly Legs!!!!

Thankfully I feel great this morning. Although it is called delayed onset of muscle soreness for a reason! Stretching stretching stretching. :D

• Like 2

I was thrown a great lifeline when I found the derby flyer I think. A reason to exercise and to meet people and have something to aim for!

Funny how that works... I'm trying to get into swing dancing again for similar reasons. :)
  • Like 1

Week 0, Day 4

Slept in, No work today, no derby training. 

Nutrition (Day Off)

B/fast: buttered raisin toast

Lunch: buttered bread roll with silverside, coleslaw salad mix, sun-dried tomatoes, feta, gherkin relish

Dinner: chicken puff pastry parcels with camembert and tomato pesto.

Other things: 2 peanut butter flavoured tim-tams (weird, yeah) sweet chilli cheese and crackers, strawberry custard cup thing, deep-fried chicken nugget bits

Calorie total: 2186

Not too bad for what felt like a lot of eating just because there was food around. (Took Mr. Tea food shopping with me, hence the extra junk food!) But that's okay :D

• Like 3

Peanut butter flavoured Tim Tam, haven't seen that one yet. But the Lads did point out Vegemite chocolate...........WTF? Not something we are keen to try.

Haahaha yeah, I've seen that. It's either awesome or horrid. Either way I'm not gonna spend money on it, in case it is horrible. :P

• Like 1

Not too bad for what felt like a lot of eating just because there was food around. (Took Mr. Tea food shopping with me, hence the extra junk food!) But that's okay :D

Wish I had somebody to blame when junk food "somehow" enters my house, one of the drawbacks of being single. <g>

Following because I want to learn more about roller derby, and also to support a fellow Aussie.

I prefer the dark choc cherry Tim tams myself, I could never resist those when they'd turn up on the snack shelf at work!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wish I had somebody to blame when junk food "somehow" enters my house, one of the drawbacks of being single. <g>

Heehee, If I had enough self control I would just say no. But considering how often we have food like this in the house it's not a recurring problem. We've also never had too many problems with eating whole packets of anything so that always helps. xD

Following because I want to learn more about roller derby, and also to support a fellow Aussie.

I prefer the dark choc cherry Tim tams myself, I could never resist those when they'd turn up on the snack shelf at work!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Woo! Yeah, it's not often I buy tim tams because of the risk of eating the whole damn packet. xD 

Week 0, Day 5

Slept in, no work today. Bonus skates practice for an hour with Mr. Tea

Nutrition (Day Off)

B/fast: Crunchy nut cereal w soy milk and a banana

Lunch: Leftover chicken parcels

Dinner: Lamb rump steak w roasted vegetables and gravy (went out)

Other things: bread roll w silverside, feta, coleslaw and sun-dried tomatoes, peanut butter tim tam. 

Calorie total: 2166

Not bad, similar to yesterday. Mr. Tea and I made it to the leisure centre so we could get some practice time on our skates so an hour of that was a good way to burn some energy, (and some legs! Yeouch!)

• Like 2

Hope your min skills are going well! :)

Thanks! I've done one training session so far, and my partner and I practiced for an hour by ourselves the other day :D considering neither of us have skated for years I think we'll get much better with some practice! Mr. Tea is doing fresh meat as well so he can become a referee, gives us something productive to do together. 

Week 0, Day 6.

Slept in, no work today, no derby training.

Nutrition (Day off)

B/fast: Crunchy nut cereal with slivered almonds and dried fruit and soy milk. 

Lunch: sweet chilli chicken strip wraps with feta, sun-dried tomatoes, coleslaw salad mix and mayo

Dinner: cashew chicken and rice

Other things: 2 tim tams, BBQ chips.

Calorie Total: 2057

• Like 1

Week 0, Day 7

Slept in, no work today, no derby training. 

Nutrition (Day Off):

B/fast: n/a

Lunch: sweet potato gnocchi and pulled lamb shank

Dinner: home made mac & cheese with bacon and broccoli

Other Things: 2 tim tams, banana toasted sandwich, 2 glasses of coke

Calorie Total: 2,020.

Ate less today because I seem to be developing a rattly cough and a sore throat and a wobbly stomach. Noooooooo! Making me feel like eating less, so I hope I'm feeling better tomorrow or it's going to be a very long day. 

Went out for lunch with the folks today, which was nice, and slept in so I didn't bother with breakfast. 

• Like 1