• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RollingStoney

[Teagarden] A Rolling Stoney gathers no Dust

Im actually curious, what protective gear do you wear? Is it just elbow and knee pads + a helmet? Or is there something more that I just don't know about?

• Like 1

Im actually curious, what protective gear do you wear? Is it just elbow and knee pads + a helmet? Or is there something more that I just don't know about?

That and wrist guards and a mouthguard as well. Apparently wrist guards start to stink the worst out of them all as you get sweatier. xD mine don't stink yet though thankfully. It's really only through landing funny or colliding with another human that you can reeeally hurt yourself, and they teach us how to fall over so as to minimise any damage we do to ourselves. xD And I haven't hit anyone yet so fingers crossed. 

We are learning crossovers and doing the 27/5 again tonight and I am very nervous about crossovers (basically grapevine stepping while rolling and while cornering, gah!) I can see myself tripping myself over more then once. So we'll see. Regardless of my crossover abilities I am going for 16 laps tonight; 1 up from last week. If I can literally 1-up myself every week I'll get to 27/5 before the final exam no problemo's.

• Like 2

Glad you're feeling better, taking a couple "slow" days to rest up seems to have helped a lot.

Stinky protective gear! Reminds me of my University days, a lot of the guys in my dorm played hockey and they all stored their hockey gear in one closet out in the main hallway, the stink got so bad at one point that we added dozens of cases of empty stale smelling beer bottles just to improve the smell!

• Like 1

17laps / 5mins!! Woohoo!

Added 2 laps to my score at training tonight. Also, crossovers are scary but I understand them, I just need to practice moar. I didn't trip myself up so that's a good start. I didn't implement them into my laps because I didn't feel totally comfortable doing them at speed so maybe next week or if I can get some extra skating time in over the weekend I will for my next try. Either way, an improvement!

I was explaining the skill levels to my dad the other day, and he goes "Oh, so it's like a video game!" To which I laughed and went, "Yeah, that's how I'm tackling it!" - my dad games quite a lot. 

Week 1, Day 7 (last week)

Slept in, no work and no training.

Nutrition (off day)

Tracked: no (whoops!)

B/fast: cornflakes with slivered almonds, dried fruit and soy milk

Lunch: two ham, cheese, coleslaw & mayo sandwiches on white bread

Dinner: chicken teriyaki stir fry with broccoli beans and buk choy and hokkien noodles

Other things: half a box of pizza shapes. 

Week 1 Wrap Up!

Nutrition: 6 / 7

Do the Derby: 2 / 3 - skipped off-skates training due to sickness

Be the Derby: 1hr - done!

I felt like last week was a complete waste because I was sick, but it really wasn't. I had my first skates-related dream too; I was doing a tough-mudder type obstacle course... In full derby gear. Including my skates. xD mad skills! Onto week 2!

Week 2, Day 1.

Slept 7ish hours, worked 7:30 - 4:30pm, went to derby training.

Nutrition (work day)

B/fast: Half a breakfast smoothie and a piece of toast with half a roasted tomato, a piece of bacon and a fried egg. 

Lunch: a multigrain toasted ham sandwich with mayo

Dinner: chicken and chorizo risotto.

Do the Derby: done. Went to skates training.

The nerves and excitement about going to skates training kept me buzzing through work all day despite the fact I'm still not feeling 100%. 

• Like 2

It's all shiny and new and week 1 so I'm always excited. xD

Week 2, Day 2

Slept 8.5 hours, Worked 9 - 1:30pm, no training today.

Woke up with a stomach ache, thought it would subside as the day went on but it didn't :( Got sent home from work because apparently I kept going very pale. Went home, had a nap, filed my tax return, lay on the couch and drank tea and bought take out for dinner. I'm feeling a bit better now that I'm home so hopefully when I go to work tomorrow no stupid sickness returns.

Nutrition (work day)

B/fast: half a breakfast smoothie

Lunch: thai vegetable soup and a few pieces of buttered bread

Dinner: pad thai and chicken stir fry with cashews

Other things: two pieces of dark chocolate.

Be The Derby

Read a page about skate wheel densities and sizes and whatnot. Also did a bit of stepping and crossover practice around the dining room on my skates. I think having so many things around me was actually more frightening then being in the big open court of the leisure centre. xD

• Like 1

Hope you feel better soon. :orange:

I totally believe you that practicing in your home feels more perilous than anywhere else. I think I've had more close calls at home with my various pursuits than anywhere else. Furniture and tight spaces...who knew?

• Like 1

I woke up feeling much better today thankfully! I didn't want to have to skip another off-skates fitness session that's for sure.

Week 2, Day 3

Got a sleep in, worked 1:30 - 4:30, went to off-skates fitness session. Also scrubbed the shower & did all the dishes. 

Nutrition (work day)

B/fast: leftover chicken and chorizo risotto

Lunch: "breakfast" smoothie. haha. 

Dinner: Steak with coleslaw, balsamic caramelised onions and potato and cauliflower mash.

Other things: pumpkin and sultana cake

Do the Derby

Went to off skates training, we did a basic fitness test so we had some numbers to work on and show our improvement. I was pleased with how I performed seeing as it's been a while since I did any real exercise. xD

Beep Test: 3.9

Illinois Agility Test: 16.5s

Knee push ups in 60s: 32

Sit ups in 60s: 32

Plank to failure: 1:45

Wall sit to failure 1:35

• Like 1

I woke up feeling much better today thankfully! I didn't want to have to skip another off-skates fitness session that's for sure.

Glad to hear this!

Do the Derby

Went to off skates training, we did a basic fitness test so we had some numbers to work on and show our improvement. I was pleased with how I performed seeing as it's been a while since I did any real exercise. xD

Seeing improvement is a great boost to the ego, well done!

• Like 1

Week 2, Day 4

Slept 10 hours, went skating for 1.5hours, worked 12 - 4:30.

Nutrition (work day)

B/fast: Pancakes with bacon and maple syrup

Lunch: Vegetable panini

Dinner: Pizza

Be the Derby:

Went to the leisure centre with some of the other derby girls (a few of the seniors were there too) because I needed to practice my crossovers around corners, and t-stops. I even jumped on my skates for the first time ever! As in, both feet left the floor for a brief moment! Spent an hour and a half practicing, and I've pretty much got my crossovers under control now which is good. I might even be able to implement them next week when we try the 27/5 again. 

• Like 3

Thanks Sev! I'm determined to throw myself into this whole skating thing. I know myself well enough now to know that if I don't chuck a tanty the first time I don't do something right and keep practicing instead I'll get the hang of it eventually. I'm a pretty quick learner when I don't get mad at my lack of immediate perfect skills. xD A good lesson in shutting down my perfectionist side as well.

Week 2, Day 5 - TGIF!

Slept badly for 8 hours, did 30minutes of yoga and stretching, worked 9 - 4:30. 

Nutrition (Work day)

B/fast: two slices of toast with peanut butter and a savoury muffin

Lunch: ham and roasted vegetable panini with mayonnaise

Dinner: tacos

Other Things: Lamingtons. I was having cravings, shush. 

Do The Derby

I knew I was going to need my 30 minutes of stretching this morning, after the fitness test and 1.5hours of skating yesterday (my knees! gah!) so I got up half an hour earlier then I needed to so I could fit it in before work. Oh, that's right, that's why I like yoga!

Be The Derby

Head trainer posted a good link about working on our derby stance and that led me to wandering around a derby blog full of useful information for a good 15 minutes. Read up on gear maintenance, some tips on foam rolling (definitely going to have to get one methinks) and some ideas for my extra fitness session I intend to start in week 4.

Thinking ahead, I think that I'm going to do my extra fitness session on Thursdays, before Wednesday's DOMs kicks in and without compromising my body before Wednesday's required fitness session with the derby trainers. Just as long as it's something that won't clash with whatever we do on wednesday nights. I'll have to think of something. 

• Like 3

Update on the foam rolling; I have a rolling pin, duh. xD tested it out and found some knots in my legs and rolled out my right upper arm which was doms-ing from push ups on wednesday. I'll have to see if it helps and find some reading material on rolling myself effectively. 

• Like 1

Week 2, Day 6

Slept in, no training, no work today. 

Nutrition (Off-day)

B/fast: 1 slice of white bread with peanut butter

Lunch: hungry jacks burger with onion rings and coke

Dinner: 2 tacos

Calorie Total: 2184

Be The Derby

Watched 10 minutes of skating skills videos while dreaming of skating again. xD

Hello, my name is Tegan and I'm addicted to roller skating.

• Like 1

Well, you've finally done it. You've convinced me to look up and watch a Jam or 2 on the youtubes. Interesting stuff, but I'm not sure I could watch the hour and twenty minute length bout videos.

• Like 1

Well, you've finally done it. You've convinced me to look up and watch a Jam or 2 on the youtubes. Interesting stuff, but I'm not sure I could watch the hour and twenty minute length bout videos.

Hehehe, I think I'm either annoying or confusing everyone I talk to about derby... seeing as it's one of the only things I'm ever talking about at the moment! 

• Like 1

Hehehe, I think I'm either annoying or confusing everyone I talk to about derby... seeing as it's one of the only things I'm ever talking about at the moment! 

Having a new hobby that you're passionate about can certainly take over your world. Glad you're enjoying it so much!

Same thing happened with my wife and I when we started lifting. Most people are understanding though.

• Like 1

Week 2, Day 7

Slept 7.5 hours, got up early to volunteer at the City to Surf fun run, went skating for 1.5hours after.

Nutrition (Off-day)

B/fast: a nut bar, and a bacon and egg taco

Lunch: roast beef subway sandwich and cookies

Dinner: chicken & cheese parcels

Calorie Total: 2171

Be The Derby

Practiced skating for 1.5 hours, got some more tips on crossovers, which helped immensely.

Also, fit in a mini workout because it was so damn cold when I got up to volunteer. In a rain storm. xD I had to stay warm somehow! So I did this over an hour or so;

30 incline push ups

20 dips

30 bodyweight squats

8 inverted rows

30 calf raises

30 walking lunges

40metres walking in derby stance

As well as lots of walking in circles and vigorous clapping as the runners went past me.

• Like 1

Week 2 Wrap Up!

Nutrition - 7 / 7

Definitely keeping an eye on what I'm eating; I'm not losing or putting on weight so I'm taking that as a win! 

Do The Derby - 3 / 3

Went to both training sessions, plus did 30 minutes of yoga on friday.

Be The Derby - 225 minutes, done!

So many minutes because I'm including time spent physically practicing my skating skills. xD

• Like 2

That is badass. xD That's the kind of confidence and kickass-ery I'm trying to build by doing roller derby :P

Week 3, Day 1

Slept in, had the day off, went to derby training.

Nutrition (Off Day)

B/fast: Leftover chicken parcels

Lunch: chocolate covered strawberries. xD
Dinner: Satay chicken & vegetable stir fry

Other things: peppermint dark chocolate

Do the Derby

Went to training, we went back over t-stops and plow stops, as well as weaving (which I found hard, grr!) and we went around in a pace line weaving through each other. We didn't get a chance to work on the 27/5 and my crossovers because we ran out of time. I was especially nervous this week for some reason but I forgot about that once I started focussing on learning. 

• Like 2

I've only got the one photo so far, been too busy doing the actual skating instead of taking heaps of photos xD I'm on the very right. It was our very first night of skates training!

2A6xSmO.jpg

Week 3, Day 2

Slept (badly) for 7.5 hours, worked 7:30am - 4:30pm.

Nutrition (Work Day)

B/fast: half a breakfast smoothie

Lunch: minestrone soup and a slice of bread

Dinner: vegetable and bacon quiche

Other: leftover satay chicken

• Like 3