• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RollingStoney

[Teagarden] A Rolling Stoney gathers no Dust

Thanks Petefeet, you're right :) I was feeling like crap last night after that, but I came home, meditated, ate tasty pea and ham soup loaded with vegetables, went to bed early, and got up early to go for a run this morning. Also had a nap on my break from work today. A much better coping mechanism them previous attempts, including anything from junk food to cake to staying up late playing video games and moping. xD

• Like 1

Thanks Petefeet, you're right :) I was feeling like crap last night after that, but I came home, meditated, ate tasty pea and ham soup loaded with vegetables, went to bed early, and got up early to go for a run this morning. Also had a nap on my break from work today. A much better coping mechanism them previous attempts, including anything from junk food to cake to staying up late playing video games and moping. xD

Wow, you rocked the hell out of that set-back.  Keep it up and you will be unstoppable!!!

• Like 1

There is absolutely nothing wrong with falling over, I still fall over at practice when we do some skating drills, I've even fell over in the final of tournaments, as long as you get up again and keep going that's the main thing :) good job! 

• Like 1

Wow, you rocked the hell out of that set-back.  Keep it up and you will be unstoppable!!!

Like a rolling boulder! xD

There is absolutely nothing wrong with falling over, I still fall over at practice when we do some skating drills, I've even fell over in the final of tournaments, as long as you get up again and keep going that's the main thing :) good job! 

The whole league is made up of a bunch of ah-maaaazing people so I've not been short on support and hugs which is something new to me xD It's great. And at least if I keep falling over I'll eventually be fearless! 

Wk5, D2

Slept 8 hours, went for a run, worked 7:30 - 4:30, no training

Nutrition:

B/fast: breakfast smoothie

Lunch: grazed on salad prep and leftover catering mini quiche and pies

Dinner: gnocchi and chorizo in tomato sauce

Other things: 1 square dark chocolate, 4tsp sugar

Do the Derby:

Went for short run (25mins ish) in the brisk morning air to make myself feel better about sucking at derby xD it helped, and I was definitely way more awake after getting back inside! xD I didn't push myself as hard as I could have because the callouses on one of my feet was giving me grief, but I know I could have run for longer without losing my breath except for my foot. :P

Be the Derby:

Spent 15 minutes reading about wheels again, so I could get a second pair for my skates so I can skate outside on my old set without wrecking the only wheels I currently have. New ones are slightly grippier and smaller (lower centre of gravity = better balance) and metallic purple! 

In other news, the sun is finally rising early enough that I am driving to work in daylight, instead of in darkness! And, when I finish work the sun hasn't set yet! Spring is nearly here, yo! How exciting. 

And and and, I booked a holiday for Mr. Tea and I! I've only been hassled for most of this year about needing a holiday (apparently!) and my parents are going on a cruise and suggested we go with them, so we shall! Cruising around SE Asia seems like a pretty safe way to leave the country without stressing too much xD Also I'm lazy and like the idea of my hotel room coming with me everywhere.

• Like 4

Cruises are an "ah-maaaazing" way to holiday! I've been on two already and really think I need to go on a third!

It's good to see you progressing not just your physical self but your mental self as well. And nothing is likely to build on skates skills like time spent on skates! I definitely approve of increased outside of training practice! In no time at all you'll crush your 27/5 goal!

• Like 1

We have friends that cruise every year, it's the only way they travel these days. Everything is so easy!

Good work on getting up when you fall over! The makings of a Derby Queen!

Summer is coming Tea!

• Like 1

Wk5, D3

Slept 8.5 hours, no work, went to off-skates training

Nutrition:

B/fast: peanut butter on multigrain toast

Lunch: Pea & Ham soup w 2 slices of multigrain bread

Dinner: 1 homemade chicken enchilada

Other Things: a banana, 2 squares of dark chocolate

Do the Derby

Went to fitness training. Went something like this;

Warm-up

25 squats

25 sumo squats

5 real +20 knee push ups

20 tricep dips

50 sit ups

1 minute of calf raises on both legs

1 minute of side jumps

1 minute of forwards & backwards jumping

1 minute of walking lunges

2 sets interval sprints; 1min on 30secs off

2 sets of agility "sprints"; 1min on 30secs off

1 minute of "gazelle loping" - leaping around like a gazelle, yes it sounds as funny as it looked xD

1 minute of high knees

10 minutes of hip checking

2 laps of the town square

Cool down stretching

Be the Derby

Skated for 1 hour or so practicing jumping (I jumped my shoe!) weaving (Still bad at this), C-turns, plow stops and t-stops, as well as crossovers at speed. 

Also watched the first of the WFTDA international playoff bouts; the jammers mad skills totally blew me away xD I was pleased with myself that I recognised more penalties as they happened and a few strategies that the coaches went over at the workshop last weekend. At least I can know the sport inside and out until my physical skills catch up xD

Wk 5, D4

Slept 9 hours, did 30mins of yoga, worked 11 - 4:30pm no training tonight

Nutrition:

B/fast: peanut butter on multigrain bread

Lunch: Ham salad w mayo

Dinner: homemade chicken kiev with corn and honey carrot

Other things: banana soy smoothie w 2tbsp vanilla protein powder

Do the Derby:

Did 30 minutes of yoga and stretching because I could feel everything seizing up after last night's fitness xD felt goood. 

• Like 3

Wk5, D5

Slept 9 hours, did bodyweights, worked 11am - 4:30pm

Nutrition:

B/fast: Banana soy protein powder shake

Lunch: Savoury muffin & 1 chicken kiev

Dinner: Beef with Black bean sauce, honey chicken, fried rice. 
Other Things: bowl of ice-cream with vanilla protein powder (tasted kinda like cookie dough)

Do the Derby

Did 30minutes of body weight exercises and stretched, Despite the DOMS it ended up feeling pretty good, and made my sore core feel a bit better. xD

5-4-4 decline push ups

10x3 sets 1-arm dumbbell rows w 9kg

10-9-8 Bulgarian split squats

10-10-8 lying leg raises

Be the Derby

Watched 15 minutes of a wheel maintenance video so I could put my shiny new wheels on my skates. Also put said shiny new wheels on my skates! Gonna try them out on Sunday. 

• Like 4

Wk5, D6

Slept 9 hours, no work, no training. 

Nutrition:

Bfast: Rice and chia pudding with strawberries, rhubarb and apple

Lunch: cheese burger with chips and soft drink

Dinner: lamb steaks with broccoli, sweet potato & cauliflower mash and curly fries xD

Other Things: 2tsp sugar

Had a pretty slack day & didn't eat very well, but it was nice having the day off from everything. Going skating tomorrow with my new wheels so that should be fun, And there's actually enough food in the house and enough dishes to eat off so that I can refrain from eating questionably 2 days in a row :tongue:

• Like 3

Week 5 Wrap Up!

Nutrition: 5 / 7

Weekend tripped me up; bought fast food for lunch both weekend days, and I think sugar is screwing me over while at work, stopping me from being fully alert unless I eat more sugar. xD Which leads me to give in and eat sugary things like cake. and maple syrup on pancakes. Needing two sugars to deal with drinking black coffee also doesn't help. 

Do the Derby: 5 / 4

Had a dismal time at monday nights training session so I made up for it by adding in a run to what I needed to do for week 5. Also got in 30 minutes of yoga on thursday to combat DOMS from fitness training, and got in a basic bodyweight workout on friday before going to work. Work roster is the same this week so I should be able to do it again. 

Be the Derby: 210 / 60 minutes

Got in a few extra practice sessions, watched a game of the WFTDA international playoffs, and learnt how to change and clean the wheels and bearings on my skates.

Wk6, D1

Slept 8.5 hours, Worked 7:30 - 4:30, Went to skates training

Nutrition

B/fast: Breakfast smoothie now w added protein powder

Lunch: pancakes w bacon & maple flavoured syrup

Dinner: Crumbed chicken breast salad wrap

Other Things: 1 slice walnut syrup cake, 4tsp sugar

For the life of me I could just not wake up properly today; the only thing that made me feel 100% alert was a slice of super sugary walnut slice. xD This does however suggest that I'm probably addicted to sugar and should probably cut down; something to note for another challenge. It would also explain why I'm not losing any weight.

Do the Derby

Went to on-skates training; we went through;

Grapevine stepping, while holding onto a partner

Toe-stop walking

Moving as a pack

Falls

Plow Stops

Single knee taps

The 27/5 (new high score of 19!)*

backwards skating (or, being pushed backwards by somebody else)

*Did a bit of research, realised I wasn't skating around the most efficient racing line as I went around; I was just trying to throw myself around the track as fast as I could. Like race cars, the derby track has an ideal race line (a diamond shape) that is the quickest way around. After last week's performance I decided to scale back the fierce determination and focus on skating fluently and around the track the right way. It worked! I didn't fall over and beat my last PB. I didn't even try crossovers this time because my legs were already pretty tired from working and training so I didn't trust them to go where I needed them to :tongue:

The last few weeks of training have made me crucially aware of a few things I need to work on to become better at roller derby. Things like;

A need for a stronger core - I need to be able to keep it braced at all times for better balance, and I keep forgetting. When I remembered, it made a huge difference!

Stronger ankles/calves - Because walking on toe-stops hurts

Better cardio - breathing helps immensely during the 27/5!

More even strength distribution - my left side is definitely stronger then my right side (years of carrying plates and trays in the one hand I guess!) so I have weak spots in all my techniques involving my right leg. This also affects balancing on that leg and when turning and stopping and stuff

Better derby stance - Getting lower helps with balance, stopping, going faster, crossovers, falls... Everything. I know I can get low enough, I just can't hold myself there while doing everything else as well.

• Like 3

For the life of me I could just not wake up properly today; the only thing that made me feel 100% alert was a slice of super sugary walnut slice. xD This does however suggest that I'm probably addicted to sugar and should probably cut down; something to note for another challenge. It would also explain why I'm not losing any weight.

Sounds like a great plan! We all learn as we continue on our journey.

• Like 1

So many things with skating Tea! Awesome work on Derby stuffs.

I wish I had walnut syrup cake now. :) sounds delicious.

It was delicious. xD I was also quite intent on not repeating last week's dismal 27/5 attempt and they are just lots of things that keep getting repeated by our coaches and the internet alike. 

Sounds like a great plan! We all learn as we continue on our journey.

There are a lot of "probablys" in my thinking, however it can't really be that bad to cut excess sugar out of my life can it? xD But it's something I need to work on when I have a few days to myself so I can detox without killing a customer for asking if the quiche is gluten free again (goddamnit people, it's pastry! What do you think?)

• Like 3

Wk6, D2

Slept 7.5hours, worked 7:30 - 4:30, no training

Nutrition

B/fast: breakfast smoothie w added protein 

Lunch: bacon egg tomato spinach toasted s/wich

Dinner: fish & chips

Other things: 3tsp sugar, 1cup soy milk infused w chai tea

Was doing so well on eating until we stopped by the mother-in-law's place and ended up staying for dinner. I have realised today also that if I'm going to cut back on sugar I'm going to have to change my regular drinking beverage from black coffee to tea or just water, because I just can't drink straight black coffee. I'm not that hardcore. xD Phew, so coffee and sugar detox next challenge? That will be interesting. I did however have an excellent soy chai latte with tea infused into the milk instead of using chai powder (the first ingredient being "sugar" xD) so I can also rely on that for a warm beverage. Needed it today, it was freezing! Welcome, Spring!

• Like 2

Wk6, D3.

Slept 9 hours, did HIIT session, no work today, went to off-skates training

Nutrition

B/fast: cannelini beans w 2 fried eggs in tomato-y sauce

Lunch: Chicken Saltimbocca w broccolini and fried risotto

Dinner: Spaghetti Bolognese
Other Things: banana oat date protein smoothie, 2 protein balls

Ate probably a bit too much, but got in a lot of protein! 

Do the Derby

Did a HIIT workout designed for derby players; was hardcore and I was puffing like nothing else, but it felt good xD

Went to off-skates training, did lots of lower body stuff. 

• Like 1

Wk6, D4

Slept 9 hours, worked 11am - 5pm

Nutrition:

B/fast: multigrain toast w peanut butter

Lunch: bacon vegetable panini

Dinner: chicken salad

Other things: 2tsp sugar, 2squares of dark chocolate

Wk6, D5

Slept 9 hours, did a BW workout, 11am - 5pm

Nutrition:

Bfast: banana soy peanut butter protein smoothie

Lunch: Cajun chicken salad

Dinner: Butter chicken with carrots & cauliflower

Other things: 2tsp sugar, 1/3 can of pringles, 4squares dark chocolate

Do the Derby:

Did 2 sets of bodyweight exercises.

Tried out a derby specific workout based on the idea of evening up the non-dominant side of your body (in my case my right side is my weaker side!)

2 sets of;

Single Leg Deadlifts (10, 10)

Single Shoulder Press w 5kg (10, 10)

Bulgarian Split Squats (10, 10)

Single-Arm Rows w 11kg (10, 10)

Chair Pistol Squats (10, 10)

Single-Arm Chest Press (10, 10)

Walking Lunges (10, 10)

Side Plank w rotation (5, 5)

Single-Leg Glute Bridge (10, 10)

I picked low weights to begin with so I had an idea of what I was working with; my right arm and leg definitely struggle with moving weights and balancing more then my left side. I should probably attempt to address this imbalance, so I shall trial this as my body weights workout for next challenge and see if it helps!

• Like 2

Wk6 D6

Slept 9.5hours, no work, no training

Nutrition:

B/fast: Peanut butter on multigrain toast

Lunch: KFC; 3 bits chicken, regular chips & orange juice

Dinner: Homemade beef pies with veggie bake

Other things: 2 handfuls dark chocolate, 1 piece chocolate cheese cake, 2 tsp sugar

Spent the day cleaning up the house and cooking for my parents for father's day, got take out for lunch because I didn't want to mess up my nice clean kitchen xD

(Although in actual fact, my usual choice from KFC has around 60g of protein in it, so I could be doing worse? I could also not eat the chips and the gravy and the dinner roll. But naah)

• Like 1

Wk6, D7

Slept 9.5 hours, no work, went skating

Nutrition:

B/fast: one homemade meat pie

Lunch: a homemade meat pie

Dinner: beef burger in an english muffin w sweet potato hash browns

Other Things:1 piece cheesecake, 1 handful of dark chocolate, 

Do the Derby:

Went skating for an hour, practiced weaving and c-turns and tried to adjust my skating position a bit. (need to get lower and sit on my heels more to make skating efficiently easier)

• Like 1

Wk6, D7

Slept 9.5 hours, no work, went skating

Nutrition:

B/fast: one homemade meat pie

Lunch: a homemade meat pie

Dinner: beef burger in an english muffin w sweet potato hash browns

Other Things:1 piece cheesecake, 1 handful of dark chocolate, 

Do the Derby:

Went skating for an hour, practiced weaving and c-turns and tried to adjust my skating position a bit. (need to get lower and sit on my heels more to make skating efficiently easier)

Challenge 12 Wrap Up!

Nutrition - 32.5 / 42 - 77% - B+

Goals: Week 1-3, track intake on MFP, Weeks 4-6, eat less fast food, sugar, & processed crap

Tracking loosely on MFP for the first three weeks without changing what I ate told me I was eating between 2100 - 2500 calories daily. 

I stopped tracking over the second three weeks and tried to eat just a smidge healthier - less cake, less sugar, healthier snacks. By the end of the challenge I appear to have gained 2kgs. Whoops xD So next challenge I'm going to reign in what I eat more and focus more on eating healthy things, like moar protein! Winter has me feeling a bit like pudding. I don’t wanna be like pudding. 

Do the Derby! - 23 / 21 = 109% - A+!

Goal: Go to all derby training. Week 1-3, do 30 mins yoga, Weeks 4-6, do a body weights session

Went to every mandatory fitness training session except for one, where I was too unwell to go :P

Skipped just one week of yoga and bodyweights.

Added in a running / HIIT session somewhere between monday's and wednesday's training sessions which made up for the sessions I'd skipped

This is an amount of exercise I should be able to keep up if my work roster doesn’t change too much on me again (which is shouldn’t!)

Be the Derby! - 705 / 360 minutes - 195% - A++!!

Goal: 60 minutes a week improving physical or mental derby skills

Spent at least 1hr every week skating in my own time practicing things we were taught at training. Spent a bit of time reading about how my skates work, and I’ve read the rulebook through a few times as well. Also been watching bouts online and I understand the game much more now then when this challenge started - the bouts looked like complete chaos when I watched the first one!

What I learnt this challenge!

I have built up much more self-control when it comes to food on weekdays, as long as I am organised and can get / make healthy food with little fuss and aren’t famished when trying to decide what to eat. 

Food prep helps immensely! As do protein smoothies.

Having something healthy and ready to eat straight after training stops me starving and emptying the cupboard into my belly while cooking dinner after training sessions (hands off the peanut butter!)

I do not need to eat as much as I think I do, just eat better!

I have been eating too much sugar. This will change!

I love skating, and I love the frame of mind it gives me to make good choices about fitness and nutrition (e.g. “can’t eat that, it’ll make me fat and slow! can’t be slow in derby!â€)

Exercising as a group and skating with 20 other people isn’t the anxiety spiking panic attack I thought it was going to be. I get focused, and I forget about everything else, and I love it. xD

I am starting to fear falling down less and less.

I wanna be a kick ass roller derby player.

Plan of Attack for Next Challenge!

I am following a pretty similar plan of attack for next challenge, but as Spring has arrived, and that means Summer is around the corner, I am going to start attempting to shed some of this gained fat, while holding onto the muscles I need to play derby (and hopefully get stronger!) I am going to track everything I eat on MFP, but if I go over it won't be a negative mark against my challenge; getting protein is the big one here because I need to get stronger to be better at skating. While my exercise routine is working for me I am going to stick with it, no point changing it. Most of my latest mental breakdowns (albeit much smaller and less damaging then they used to be) have been me working myself into a frenzy and over thinking stupid small things, so I am reintroducing a meditation goal and reflection journal into next challenge to remind me how far I've come and all the good things that happen to me. 

(1) Nutrition

Eat my bodyweight in Protein. Or, just about. 140g a day should do the trick (0.9g*my bodyweight in lbs)

Cut 1tsp of sugar out of somewhere in my life every week. 

Use 1 day a week to prep food to make life easier.

(2) Fitness

Go to all mandatory derby training sessions

1 HIIT session or 30min run p/week

1 Body Weight routine p/week

1 Yoga session p/week

(3) Mind

Meditate. Whenever, just do it. xD

Post a gratitude / reflection weekly on the past week or whatever needs reflecting on.

And yeah! I thought about a house-cleaning goal again but that tends to just cause angst when I don't do it, and I've learnt the hard way that 3 goals is enough. I want to really focus on derby and eating well the next few weeks. Also, I have a cruise to go on next year, so added motivation to get smoking hot by summer.

Oh wait, shit! I get a level up! CHYEAHHHH!!

CONGRATULATIONS! You have reached;

Level 11!

+5 DEX

+5 WIS

+3 STR

+2 CON

• Like 2

Congrats on smashing all of your goals! It has been brilliant watching you through this challenge, and Im looking forward to seeing what you manage to acheive next time around.

• Like 1

Thanks Junior! My success in large amount due to the support I get on Nerd Fitness, and all the stuff I've absorbed over the years xD

I've immediately gone straight into next challenge, and while it's basically the same as this challenge, I have thrown some better diet control and meditation in, so I'll be with the druids if anyone needs me :D

Teagarden Chapter 13: Stubborn Like a Rock!

• Like 3

Thanks Junior! My success in large amount due to the support I get on Nerd Fitness, and all the stuff I've absorbed over the years xD

I've immediately gone straight into next challenge, and while it's basically the same as this challenge, I have thrown some better diet control and meditation in, so I'll be with the druids if anyone needs me :D

Teagarden Chapter 13: Stubborn Like a Rock!

Well done with this challenge, and best wishes for the next! The Druids are definitely a good bunch of people. You will like it there. :orange:

• Like 1