• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Briniel

Up for round two - Briniel joins the Adventurers

looking forward to progress update tomorrow. I am sure you will see a difference even if its small.

The scales did not show a difference to last week (maybe the two bonus days in between had an influence on that?) but the pictures did :)

Such a good use of a bonus day. So many yummy things from your description. Which were your favorites?

The dessert!!!! Oh god, it was so yummy. The sunflowerseed-balls were a close second, and my boyfriend couldn't stop talking about the carrot-ginger-chilli-soup.

Sooo this day was weird. I lacked motivation, again, and got up late, disabled leechblock (the app that stops me from doing unproductive things on the internet) to get a little bit of an update on fb and NF and ended up spending the whole morning and a large part of the afternoon mindlessly browsing. I got in one hour of productivity, but apart from that... it wasn't the best of days. I knew I had to do my daily yoga sometime in the evening (I didn't plan for any off-days from that) so I grudgingly got up around 7pm and figured if I was going to get out the yoga mat I might as well do another 30-days video. I've had my trouble with these lately, but today was day 8 and the title promised "healing & meditation" - it was the perfect routine for me. Lots of sitting, lots of slow, deliberate movements, lots of breathing, lots of relaxing and some really taxing swan poses at the end. I felt much better afterwards and decided that - to end the day as somewhat of a success - I might do the evening run I had planned since the day my grandmother came to visit and we watched that beautiful sunset across the river. So I got my running gear, figured out a route that's excactly 5km (3 miles) long and finished that thing in 42 minutes, with real running (instead of my usual slow jogging) about 1/3 of the way back. The running felt great! I was so fast I even felt somewhat of a head wind and I just felt alive or something. I don't know. Anyways, I just got back, I'll have some late dinner, get to bed and hopefully rock that job interview tomorrow :)

run for it! jep

more power! nope, planned for tomorrow or friday

daily yoga! jep

more yoga! jep

stay healthy! jep

3 a day! nope. mindless internet browsing got in the way of things

• Like 1

Okay, I had planned to not take a bonus day today. But then along came creamy feta cheese with black pepper on flatbread from Israel. Along came Sigara Böregi which is something like a springroll but with a filling of feta, various veggies and herbs from turkey. Along came a huge glass of rhubarb-schorle (which is juice and sparkling water and perfect in warm weather). Along came a baked banana with honey for dessert, which in itself wouldn't have been a problem but which was again served in a springroll-like dough which was encrusted with sugar and cinammon, with cream and honey and a little piece of heaven (I swear). It was delicious, as well as all the other dishes (all from the orient, not the whole world) which were more in line with my diet plans. We had turkey with zucchini and cashew in peanutbuttersauce form Tunesia, watermelon with feta, black olives and fresh mint, also from Tunesia (I tried everything, even the olives, which didn't taste like much), fried balls of sunflowerseeds, bell peppers and bruised wheat grains from Oman... it was delicious. There were 9 dishes in total and at first, we got one big plate with tiny amounts of every dish, just to try and find out which ones we liked. Then we could order as many of those as we wished, always in small servings, enough to get a real fulfilling taste of it, not too much as to make you full, and we could have as many of those small servings as we liked. It was so so worth the bonus day  ;)

If I could, I would post a gif drooling to this but it's not working so.... YUM!

This week does not look good. Thursday was another of those hot, humid days where I didn't get anything done. The only positive thing is that I stuck to my diet. I also prepared lots of food because on Friday, my boyfriend and I went for a day-trip to the beach in the Netherlands. The weather over there was gorgeous, not too hot, with a mild breeze blowing, the water was a bit cold, but not too cold to swim and we had a wonderful day. We payed for it, though. With bright-red first-degree burns on our legs and tops of our feet (and in my case, the back of my knees, too). I have really light skin so I do use a lot of sun-screen and stay in the shade for the most part, but apparently I wasn't vigorous enough with the application of suncreen, wasn't careful enough with staying out of the sun, wasn't mindful enough of the not-waterresistancy of the lotion... anyways, my legs itch like crazy, the skin feels real tight and hot and I don't want to move right now. At all. I do drink a lot and keep the skin cool and moist, but it's still really bad. I've decided to take the next two days off from the challenge, because I'm in no shape for yoga or workout (I'm not gonna bend my knees if I can help it!!!) or grocery-shopping, so we're probably going to order some food later and it won't be white-flour free. It sucks, because my week wasn't going as well as I'd hoped anyways and I had planned to make up for it on the weekend, but this just shows I shouldn't put off things to deal with in the future, if I can do them now.

Anyways, I hope you're all doing better than me and here's a picture of the beach we were at. As you can see, it was still worth it... somehow ;)

gallery_40695_1878_953634.jpg

Sorry to hear about the sunburn but it sounds like you had a lovely day regardless. I hope you heal soon and you're probably right to delay the workouts - don't cause yourself unnecessary pain!

Sorry to hear about the sunburn but it sounds like you had a lovely day regardless. I hope you heal soon and you're probably right to delay the workouts - don't cause yourself unnecessary pain!

Boo for sunburn. Taking it easy until everything stops hurting sounds totally reasonable, imo.

Thanks, guys. The sunburn is still not completely gone (my feet suffered the worst) and due to all the moisturizer and cool water baths for my feet, they now feel swolen of liquid. It's such a weird feeling to feel your flesh jiggling about with every step O_o I wonder if this is what it constantly feels like for old people with water in their legs and feet.

Anways, week 3 has started and I'm back on track challenge wise:

Week 3, Day 1

I stayed unproductive until about 3pm (I just reactivated leechblock and added playcatan.de to the list ;) ) but then burned through the afternoon like there's no tomorrow. I did another bww, a yoga video, my daily yoga stretches, stayed healthy the whole day (still need to finish my water, but I'll manage), went grocery shopping and called my mom for the 3-a-day quest (I think the cats need more playtime or some reading or something, to make it three). I also cooked something similar to that zucchini-tomato-cashew-chicken that we had at the restaurant the other day so I'll have something delicious to take to work tomorrow. My vacation is up, so it's back to saving kids *yay*

Oh, speaking of jobs, I also got the feedback from my job interview, they hired me! I don't know yet how many days I'll work, it's not a 9-5 job, but we'll figure something out. Hey, it's extra money, extra experience and just a good feeling to not have to worry about the job hunt until january (which means I need to go job hunting now, so I'll find something until january). I also agreed to do some office work for my father (who's self-employed) so I guess I'll be really busy the rest of the year. I won't slack on my goals, though ;)

I really aim for the 100% this time and while the sunburn-related inactivity has set me back a bit, I've come up with a way to adjust my goals accordingly: I've taken 2 reps off from the daily yoga and healthy eating quests (although the only "unhealthy" thing I had on the weekend was one large pizza hawaii, so it wasn't too bad). I will make up on the run and workout that I missed and I changed the 3-a-day quest to count all the things I've done from the list, not the number of days where I did three or more. I came up with a nice even 100 which is better suited for this quest, I think: if I do 2/3 things it should count for something and I should be able to make up for it on the other days.

Do you guys think this sounds fair all in all? I don't want to give myself too much leeway because of self-induced injuries ;)

• Like 1

Week 3 Day 2

I went back to work today after a 3 week vacation (when you work with children, it's sensible to close the praxis during summer holidays ;) ) and also had singing lessons afterwards so there wasn't much time for challenge related stuff. I had pondered whether to go for a run this evening, but was too tired for it, so I will do this first thing in the morning tomorrow (I've started adding stretches where I actually run instead of jogging at walking-pace which feels awesome, so I'm actually looking forward to this).

run for it! nope

more power! nope

daily yoga! I just did this (at 10pm) and it was actually quite enjoyable. I do like the daily routine I picked for myself and it's great to see improvement with how far I can get with the stretches.

more yoga! nope, too little time

stay healthy! yup, I just finished my second water bottle

3 a day! I did sing today and I did some household chores, but I didn't get around to a third item on my list. I've been seriously neglecting my drawing so I think that's going to happen tomorrow. Since I wrote it down now you'll be expecting pictures, so I have to ;)

Plan for tomorrow: I'll go for a run, draw something and also babysit my best friend's 5 moths old son for a while :) I'll do some office work and complete another 30-day video. I'm back on track :)

• Like 2

Woot-moment at yoga practice today: I managed to sit up completely from lying flat on my back consistently (there's three situations like that in my routine). I had the biggest grin on my face. A little backstory: when I started out with this whole NF thing I complained to my boyfriend about how unfit I was: "I can't even do a push-up or a sit-up or something!" He didn't believe me at first. He was sure I would at least be able to do a sit-up so I demonstrated and struggled with all my might to move my upper body from the floor. I think I got to about 30/40 degrees before my muscles would give up. He was actually astonished at this (which was a weird kind of satisfaction for me - see, I can't do it! :D ). Since then I've tried whenever my practice allowed, first with swinging my legs for extra momentum, then with moving my legs less and less. I've managed it once or twice before but today it came so easily and consistently that I can honestly say I can now do something that I could not do 9 weeks ago. Woot!

• Like 5

Morning run complete, 5km in 40min. New personal best, even though I felt sluggish and slow. Maybe it's the humid weather, maybe it's the break I took, but the run didn't feel good at all. I skipped the last few times where I should have run at full speed because I didn't want to collapse. I'm really astonished that I still managed to get such a good time :) 

The scales didn't move much compared to last week, but I didn't expect them to. At least the numbers didn't go up ;)

Onwards to my daily dose of yoga now!

• Like 2

Thanks sterre! It usually is, but the weather made me feel so weird that I couldn't really enjoy it while I was at it ;) I do however greatly enjoy looking at my running spreadsheet :D (especially because I can do that while sitting at my desk with my feet in cold water).

I feel like the weather is boycotting me personally. First, it gave me sunburn that made me loose half a week (okay, that was my fault, too... but only a little), now it is so hot and humid outside that I jus want to follow my cats' example: lie on the floor with my limbs stretched away from my body as far as possible. But, I have work to do.

Week 3, Day 3

run for it! as you know, I completed my morning run to great satisfaction

more power! nope, was planned for wednesday

daily yoga! I did this, and

more yoga! added a 30 day video (number 10). Yay!

stay healthy! as always, this was the easiest quest to follow

3 a day! Nope :( I wrote down 1/3 but I don't remember what it was.

Week 3 Day 4

run for it! nope, since I did that wednesday

more power! I had planned to, but it was so hot that I spend most of the day in front of the computer, arguing with people on the internet about the relationship between screentime/modern media and the "state of the youth" so to say. Some people need to remember the difference between correlation and causation.

daily yoga! I decided at 10.30pm that I at least needed to get my daily yoga stretches done. So I did. Damn, was I proud of myself

more yoga! didn't add a 30 day video due to reasons

stay healthy! no problems here

3 a day! In between discussions I did lots of household chores (mainly washing dishes and laundry), read for fun (newspapers count) and drew something (just a sketch of an eye, nothing special, but it's something) so 3/3 *yay*

Week 3 Day 5

run for it! nope

more power! I just completed it although I went to work today. After work I bought a second-hand dumbbell with 15kg weights in total and used it for dumbbell rows (instead of inverted rows under the kitchen table, which kinda sucked). I used only 5kg but I think I'll do more next time, I did 3x8 without problem (loosely following this routine https://fitloop.co/routines/bwf-recommended-beginner-routine )

daily yoga! I will do them once I post this posty post

more yoga! I probably won't add that due to reasons (it's 10.20 pm over here)

stay healthy! nothing yet, too little time. I'll make up for it tomorrow

I'm at something between 33 and 44% with all my goals, so I need to step up my game. I still aim to make it to 100% with all of those where that's still possible. Maybe I'll do the numbers tomorrow and see if I still stand a chance with all of them.

Oh, I also added lots of jumping to my workout today, due to the Mini-challenge. Where I usually do 10 jump squats in my workout, I now added 5 half-burpees and 30 jumping jacks. I also added 15 jumping jacks in every pause between sets, totalling 165 if I counted correctly. Bazinga.

• Like 2

Hot and humid weather is definitely the worst for doing almost anything. The trick is definitely to get as much done early in the morning and after the sun goes down as you can and stay in the shade as much as possible if you have to go out during the day. Staying hydrated also helps a lot.

Hot and humid weather is definitely the worst for doing almost anything. The trick is definitely to get as much done early in the morning and after the sun goes down as you can and stay in the shade as much as possible if you have to go out during the day. Staying hydrated also helps a lot.

Hah, in that case, I crushed it today. Went running, did a 30 day yoga video, did my yoga stretches and clicker-trained with the cats all before 9 am. :D

• Like 1

Hah, in that case, I crushed it today. Went running, did a 30 day yoga video, did my yoga stretches and clicker-trained with the cats all before 9 am. :D

Great work!

Since I already finished my goals for today, here's my summary:

Week 3 Day 6

run for it! went running this morning at 6.30 and decided to drop the sprints. I tracked my run with the runtastic app last time and managed a medium speed of 7,3km/h (4,5 mph). Which was excactly the same speed I started with in the first 5 minutes. So all the speedy patches in between didn't make me faster in the long run (haha) but only made me more tired and more slow in the patches in  between. So today I just tried to run at a fast, but sustainable pace and ended up with a medium speed of 7,7 km/h (4,8 mph) (varying between 7,0 and 8,0 km/h or 4,3 and 5 mph). It was still exhausting (I really needed to push myself in the end to keep going at that pace) but it was way more satisfying than the sprints which left me winded. So, this will be the strategy from now on: run at almost the same speed the whole time and try to go as fast as you can doing so.

more power! nope

daily yoga! when I got home, I followed another 30 days of yoga video and did my daily stretch routine afterwards, so....

more yoga! ...yes

stay healthy! after the run I went to a local bakery and got some wholegraind bread rolls for breakfast (something I haven't done for 10 weeks) and just finished my wholegrain spaghetti carbonara dinner. My 2 liters are gone, so I'm feeling good that I won't need a bonus day today ;)

3 a day! I had some making up to do on this one so I played with the cats, called my grandma, did some household chores, read the information provided for my new job and read the newspaper for fun. That makes five. I could still draw something, or practice singing or go outside and enjoy myself. Or all of those. We'll see :) I also did 1,5 hours of office work for my other new job, but that's not on the list. Maybe I should put it there, I need some more incentive on that one.

Tomorrow I'll do another 30 days of yoga video, do a workout, visit my friend-with-the-baby again and get some more office hours in. Feeling good about getting all As this time :)

Edit/bonus question: is there a suffix in the english language that means something is small or cute? In German we use -chen or -lein. I ask because bread roll seems like such a weird word for Brötchen (which translates to little/tiny bread).

• Like 3

addendum: I added to my 3-a-day quest yesterday by drawing a bit and making music with my boyfriend (he plays the piano/keyboard, I sing).

Here are the sketches I ended up with (maybe 20-30 minutes total, didn't take the time).

gallery_40695_1878_199941.jpg

• Like 4

Week 3 Day 7

I started the day with a Adriene-yoga-video and my daily stretches and vacuuming the flat. It was a very rainy day so I didn't feel like going outside and spend the morning on fb and NF instead. I also met with a person who was nice enough to sell me second-hand gym shoes and bring them over to my place. I will start playing badminton again with a friend of mine (yay!) so I'll need those and I'm glad I didn't have to spend the money to buy new ones (these are as good as anyways). I did some office work and went over to my best friend's place again to play babysitter and got paid in second-hand clothing, since she's currently minimizing her wardrobe. We also had some healthy-eating-friendly fish and vegetables which were from a colleague's garden and tasted so, so good. I asked how she'd prepared it and couldn't believe it was just some salt and pepper and a bit of cream. When I got home I was a bit tired so there was some napping on the couch. I had planned to do a workout today but it was late already and I didn't feel like doing something physically challenging so I proceeded to NF again to check up on all my yoga buddys' threads. And boy, was that a good decision. I stumbled upon wolf's challenge who is making it a habit to do yoga two times a day. I had already finished my yoga practice for today, but I had toyed with the idea of getting another 30-days-video going to make up for the ones I missed due to sunburn-related-incidents. I had put it off due to generally not being in the mood but wolf's post motivated me to pull through with it. Just 20 minutes or so before going to bed, I thought I would manage that. And then I got to elem's challenge thread who is totally kicking the inner Schweinehund in the butt (that's German for one's weaker self, the part of you that says "aaah I don't want to do that, let's do something else, let's eat pizza instead. We could do it tomorrow, or next week or, you know, just never. Look, the couch is sooooo comfy!" yeah, you know him ;) ). I was totally amazed by their determination and willpower to push through and I thought "damn, I wish I was like that, too". And then I remember that phrase that I heard here on the forums, "make it so". It's true, I will never be like that if I don't push myself in times where I'd rather do something else. So I pushed myself. And I completed that damn workout and I crushed it. And I did yoga afterwards. Bam.

Just some numbers on my workout progress:

Planks - 65s on my hands (started on my forearms at the beginning of this challenge with 45s)

Side Planks - 60s on each side on my forearms (I could hold them 16s at the beginning of this challenge)

Reverse Plank - 41s on my forearms (started the challenge on my hands and could do 60s pretty fast, so I switched to forearms and only managed 14s the first time I tried it)

10 Squat Jumps, 7 half-burpees, 30 jumping jacks

Wall Plank - 3x25-33s (with generous rest in between, I started with 2 sets of 10-15s)

Foot-Supported L-sits - 3x30s (startet with 10-16s on these, they are so, so hard for me)

Dumbbell Rows - 3x8 with 7,5kg (still too easy, I need bigger weights)

I also did 60s Arch, Hollow Hold and 3x8 deep Squats and incline Pushups.

run for it! did that yesterday, will go again tomorrow

more power! yes!

daily yoga! yes!

more yoga! yes, two of those!

stay healthy! jep!

3 a day! just one, I did some household chores. I blame that afternoon nap.

Week 3 recap:

I had a great third week. I met my run, power, yoga and health goals. The 3-a-day quest had it's ups and downs so that's something I need to work on. But I've gotten back to the level of week 1, even though I didn't feel as motivated on some days. Looking at my spreadsheet makes me so happy, though. I really pushed myself today on those holds and I'm so proud about those 1 minute planks. I'm getting better. I honestly feel less unfit than ever before in my life. Here's to an awesome second half of the challenge!

Plan for next week: continue doing awesome stuff, get 3 runs in, do the NF yoga flexibility challenge

• Like 2

I've had a slow start into week 4. It's been raining all day yesterday and I couldn't motivate myself to go out and run, like I had planned. I did my daily dose of yoga and an extra video, ate healthy and did 3 thing sof my list, though. Today was a work day and I got home after 6pm, totally tired and hungry. I only ate a bit of leftover vegetables though (which were part of a chicken, tomato, zucchini and potato dish, baked with three kinds of cheese which was delicious), did my double yoga session and drank my two liters. I'll go to bed now with no extra physical activity accomplished. Not so happy about that but cuddling with the boyfriend on the couch and deciding which movie not to watch was somehow way more tempting than going for a run or getting a workout done. Hm. Tomorrow will be a sportsy kind of day though. I signed up for a badminton class with a friend of mine which is offered by the university. I had to buy a ticket to be allowed to use the university sports-offers without being a student and I thought while I'm at it I might as well take advantage of all the other stuff they have. So tomorrow I'll take a trial class of Drums Alive which is basically working out by smashing out some awesome drum beats and then go slacklining which I've done once in my life before and will definitely be awesome with my improved core strength and yoga-balance (the 30-day-video of today was half-moons and I failed. Hard.) Anyways, I need to step up my game so I'll add in a run tomorrow morning. There's only 5 days left to the week - if I want to succeed my run for it! and more power! quest this week, I'd better get going running/powering!

• Like 1