Snarkyfishguts : We're Having an Adventure

"Let's look on the bright side: we're having an adventure, Fezzik, and most people live and die without being as lucky as we are." --Inigo Montoya

I'm glad to join the adventurers for the first time! This challenge is going to be fun/difficult/silly/ohgodohgodwhyamIdoingthis/AWESOME.  I look forward to sharing with you and cheering each other on. I'm going to be planning out my goals soon, but for now, I just wanted to say hello!

Things that I like

• Fluffy Clouds
  • Reading books
  • Knitting and Embroidery
  • Making Lists
  • Unicorns
  • The smell of a freshly-sharpened pencil
  • Exclamation points!!!
  • Flowers
  • Cheeseburgers
  • Movies!

Things that I don't like:

• Pudding
  • Bugs
  • People who talk during movies
  • Horror
  • Poop jokes
  • That feeling when someone asks you a personal question and you realize you've never really thought about it, and you blather on for 5 minutes about nonsense while you muppet flail frantically hoping someone will interrupt you BUT NO ONE DOES so you trail off, weakly muttering something in Gibberish.
  • Walking through the detergent aisle at the market.

That's a little about me :-D I'm going to work out my goals this week and will share them once they are beautiful and shiny looking. 

post-24959-0-21398400-1437419679_thumb.j

post-24959-0-78993000-1437419691_thumb.j

• Like 4

In because it looks like awesome is about to happen, there is Princess Bride related epicness and also Andre the Giant! (The wrestling vibes are strong on this challenge cycle!)

The Princess Bride is such a great story! I never followed Andre's wrestling career, but he was a superb Fezzik, and a generally wonderful human being. There are some really great stories shared about him in Cary Elwes book: "As You Wish: Inconcievable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride"  I'm listening to it as an audiobook to get me through treadmill days :)

Coudist, so that's what it is. :D I'm sure we'll rock this challenge. (If I manage to set up goals for it at least, haha.) 

Yes! Goals are a good idea. We should have those. Mighty Pirate Guybrush Threepwood would steal goals. He would have a whole treasure chest of stolen goals and a rubber chicken with a pulley.  :pirate:

• Like 4

Hello fellow first time adventurer! I can't wait to see what beautiful and shiny goals you come up with after this introduction :))

Shiny! (squints suspiciously) Are you... a browncoat?!?!   :) Thanks for the welcome fellow first-timer! We're going to have fun!  And yes.... goals.. that would be helpful  :lol:

Following like a lost kitten just looking for a pet.

Do you embroider, or admire only?

I have embroidered but it's fallen to the wayside as of late.

aww kittens. Thanks for the follow! I do some embroidery! I've been working on these pillowcases and I love/hate/can't-wait-to-finish the darn things  :) You know what I can't get the hang of? French knots. I'm all over satin stitches, but french knots (shakes fist in the air)

• Like 1
post-24959-0-21398400-1437419679_thumb.j

Main Quest:

For these 6 weeks, my Main Quest is to manage my PCOS. I made a lot of breakthroughs during the last challenge about my emotional eating and I also learned a lot more about what PCOS does to my body in regards to moods, energy levels, and appearance, and well, lots of things.  Everything that feels “wrong†in my life can be tracked back to PCOS. So these 6 weeks will be about getting control of my PCOS  and finally losing some weight! Quotes from William Goldman's The Princess Bride

Quest  1: Nutrition

'Anybody Want a Peanut?" Fezzik

This is the most challenging of the quests, and my top priority.. The PCOS diet is essentially Paleo. It focuses on foods that have a low glycemic load and recommends avoiding highly processed foods filled with unrecognizable ingredients.  It recommends going gluten free, dairy free, low soy, low sugar.  Fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans, rice, oatmeal, fish, non-processed meats and poultry- not limited to just these foods, but you get the idea.

Right, so the actual quest here is to eat according to the PCOS diet 18/21 meals a week. If I get sick, that whole day will count as one of the 3 non PCOS meals as I usually eat crackers and Gatorade when I have the flu. If I miss meals, which is unlikely, that will be okay.  I don’t plan to use my three meals consecutively, but to spread them out over the week if I choose.  I’ll track my meals on myfitnesspal in my calendar and share my favorite recipes with you here!

• Reward for Success: New Earrings!
  • Booby Prize: Well, I’ll have a lot of great recipes in my recipe book!

Quest 2: Fitness

“We face each other as God intended. Sportsmanlike. No tricks, no weapons. Skill against skill alone.â€- Fezzik

• 3x week body weight workouts: I’ll track with a smiley faced star stamp on my calendar
  • 5x week walking 40 minutes or more. I’ll track this with a smiley sticker in my calendar.

If I get sick and can’t make my workout quota for the week, that’s okay. Being sick is punishment enough.  Otherwise, no excuses!

• Reward for Success:  A day off walking trails at a local state park. I’ll be fit enough to enjoy the day if I complete this quest.
  • Booby prize: new stickers for my calendar

Quest 3: Mindset

" Don’t worry; I won’t let it go to my head" -Fezzik

post-24959-0-78993000-1437419691_thumb.j

I bring a lot of stress to my daily life.  Once upon a time, my life WAS stressful. Now it is not stressful, but I’m still bringing the fight or flight tension to each day which is counterproductive to my weight loss efforts. So I am going to meditate each day for 5 minutes first thing in the morning. Put myself in a healthy mindset before facing the world. 

I’ll track this by writing an “M†in my calendar.

• Reward for Success:  inner Peace. And a box of green tea I love!
  • Booby prize:  3 deep cleansing breaths, one cup of consolation tea at coffee shop

Life Quest

"He was the mighty Fezzik, lover of rhymes and you did not give up, no matter what" Goldman

I’m a pre-published children’s book illustrator. I have in my possession a pile of postcards I’ve been too chicken to mail out. So for THIS 6 week challenge, I must mail out 10 postcards a week to different agents and art directors. I will complete a picture book dummy to be reviewed for a fall conference. 32 pages of final sketches, full of awesomeness. *bites nails* I am mailing out the postcards during week 0 :)

The reward is the doing. No prizes necessary here.

• Like 8

Oh I LOVE your new goals! This will be awesome! (And now I want a calendar to put smiley faced star stamps into... hm. 

You're an illustrator? (Another idea I had for a side quest is one drawing per week, because I find drawing relaxing. But then I chickened out, because I wouldn't like to post them, but not posting them makes no sense with a side quest like this. Hm.) 

• Like 1

Those seem like some fantastic goals! The only thing I wonder about – your fitness goals seems to be two in one. Don't you want to separate them into two goals? That way you could track them separately and follow them accordingly. There is no specific rule saying you need 3 goals, after all, it is just a recommended number. :)

You're an illustrator? (Another idea I had for a side quest is one drawing per week, because I find drawing relaxing. But then I chickened out, because I wouldn't like to post them, but not posting them makes no sense with a side quest like this. Hm.) 

You are not obliged to post them. I did, but it was more to force myself to actually finish the drawing than anything else. If you DO post them though in the end, I will happily provide you with critique and pointers if you wish*! :) (Or just encouragement, as you prefer)

(*yes, I know I was telling you about prioritisation just two seconds ago, but in the end, your life quest is really up to you!)

• Like 2

LOVE your goals, especially number 3. I definitely relate to feeling that fight or flight panicky-ness in daily life. Love that you're working to address it. Looking forward to all of the fun this challenge!

Thank you! I'm very excited about number 3. Is it counterproductive to be excited about being calm?

Oh I LOVE your new goals! This will be awesome! (And now I want a calendar to put smiley faced star stamps into... hm. 

Drawing High Five! you don't have to share your drawings if you change your mind. I like your ideas about paperwork and learning a new language. How cool would it be to travel and speak the native language? Or have that feeling of knowing all your work is under control? I may STEAL that for challenge 3 :)

Those seem like some fantastic goals! The only thing I wonder about – your fitness goals seems to be two in one. Don't you want to separate them into two goals? That way you could track them separately and follow them accordingly. There is no specific rule saying you need 3 goals, after all, it is just a recommended number. :)

Shhhhhhhhhh!!! I am trying to GET AWA Y WITH THINGS!! :) It is a bit of a 2 parter, but in truth, this is a habit I'm doing really well with from the last challenge, but I don't want it to slide as I focus on improving my eating habits. I tend to get obsessive about ONE thing, and then everything else goes to pot, even if I was doing well in it before. So number 2 is a gentle reminder not to backslide.

Although I could get more Princess Bride Quotes if I added another... hrmmm.... nah.  :rapture:

• Like 3

Shhhhhhhhhh!!! I am trying to GET AWA Y WITH THINGS!!  :) It is a bit of a 2 parter, but in truth, this is a habit I'm doing really well with from the last challenge, but I don't want it to slide as I focus on improving my eating habits. I tend to get obsessive about ONE thing, and then everything else goes to pot, even if I was doing well in it before. So number 2 is a gentle reminder not to backslide.

Although I could get more Princess Bride Quotes if I added another... hrmmm.... nah.   :rapture:

I trust your judgement! :D The important thing is that it works for you!

• Like 1

You are not obliged to post them. I did, but it was more to force myself to actually finish the drawing than anything else. If you DO post them though in the end, I will happily provide you with critique and pointers if you wish*! :) (Or just encouragement, as you prefer)

(*yes, I know I was telling you about prioritisation just two seconds ago, but in the end, your life quest is really up to you!)

Oh some input is never bad I suppose...

Drawing High Five! you don't have to share your drawings if you change your mind. I like your ideas about paperwork and learning a new language. How cool would it be to travel and speak the native language? Or have that feeling of knowing all your work is under control? I may STEAL that for challenge 3 :)

I had to learn Italian at university (well any language really, but the others didn't fit my schedule back then). And now it's seems like such a waste of time if I just stop... and you start to forget these things so fast. There's so much vocabulary I already forgot again. The paperwork... well, that is something I always plan to do anyway and I just mess up, having to write it down here might help that way. :D 

But drawing would be much more fun... haha! 

• Like 1

Oh some input is never bad I suppose...

I had to learn Italian at university (well any language really, but the others didn't fit my schedule back then). And now it's seems like such a waste of time if I just stop... and you start to forget these things so fast. There's so much vocabulary I already forgot again. The paperwork... well, that is something I always plan to do anyway and I just mess up, having to write it down here might help that way. :D 

But drawing would be much more fun... haha! 

Drawing IS fun, and if you do it, I'll be super excited to see what you share! :D

Your goals look well thought out and I look forward to seeing how you go. I especially love the creative aspect and your tracking stickers, and that you're aware of what you can and cant do with your body and are structuring accordingly :)

Good luck fellow Doodlie! 

Thanks! :D I love stickers and stamps, it's so satisfying to see my boring, sad calendar become a sea of smileys

I trust your judgement! :D The important thing is that it works for you!

YESSSSSS.... One person trusts me!! I'm that much closer to WORLD DOMINATION!!!! MUWAHAHAHAH

• Like 6

Awesome write up. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Are we going to get to see the calendar of stickers?

YES. I will take a photo. And then post the photo. I do have trouble with images here. They turn out very tiny. I was going to look that up but how can I not have images that you don't need a microscope for? 

• Like 3