Our.Lady.of.Ashes V: Respawn Redemption

This is my fifth challenge and I'm on the road to redeeming myself from my fourth challenge which went horribly awry. It was a terrible travesty of a train wreck, I'm just saying. Either way, it's time to get back on the horse, as the saying goes, and keep riding. I can do this. Because I had such a horrible time last challenge, I'm going to head back to the basics and try to make progress from there without doing anything ultra special.

Main Quest: 125 by the end of the year. I've adjusted this goal a time or two. Currently my next marker is at 140 lbs. I'm hovering around 150, which is a pretty easy to maintain weight for me, but I don't want to sit here forever. Gonna be making some serious attempts to fix this.

Quest A: Logging is Where It's At.

Time to start keeping an accurate and unassailable log of what I'm eating all the time. Truthfully, I feel like I'm eating all the time, so it will be good to see where I'm not breaking the calorie bank. Target Count: 1300 That's a little bit less than MFP allows me to have every day, so it should be interesting to see if I can stick to this.

Optional Bonus Side Quest: Three servings of Veggies/Fruit a day.

Marking number of days at 1300 calories or less (must still be above 1000).

A: 35+ days

B: 22 - 35

C: 14 - 21

F: > 14 days

Quest B: Exercising 5 days a Week

I've tried the exercising three days a week and I struggle to make that a reality. I am always having to make up workouts on the weekend. So I think increasing the frequency until I'm working out almost every day will help with that. I'm going to be using a combination of running, Darebee.com, the BBWW, Yoga to make sure that I'm working out five days a week and not getting bored.

Optional Bonus Side Quest: Adding a sixth day.

Marking how many days per week I work out.

A: 30+ days

B: 21 - 30

C: 15 - 20

F: >15 days

Quest C: Going on Walkabout

I'm going to walk over 200 miles during the course of the six weeks. I wear a Fitbit, so I usually have a pretty good idea of how much I walk every day, so this should be a pretty easy add on to my fitness goals.

Optional Bonus Side Quest: Checking out a new place to walk to once a week.

Marking how many miles I manage throughout my days.

A: 200+ miles

B: 151 to 200

C: 101 to 150

F: > 100 miles

Life Quest

I have a novel to complete. That means getting quality work done quickly. I'm shooting for 10k a week until I finish.

This is a per week goal.

A: 10k

B: 8k

C: 5k

F: > 5k

• Like 5

Level 4 Drow Adventurer

Stats: STR 8 DEX 7 CON 7.9 STA 10 WIS 8 CHA 7.9

Daily Battle Log

1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th  | 7th Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Twitter

Here waiting to stalk and see some goals! 

Hey :)

Curious to see what you'll come up with this time.

And so the challenge thread has been written. Here you go. Stalk away. Here's to my doing better than I did last time. 

• Like 3

Level 4 Drow Adventurer

Daily Battle Log

MyFitnessPal | Twitter

Oh, I think I will end up with very similar goals this time round! :) Can't wait to see how it'll go. (And I may steal the way you grade Quest A, I wasn't sure how I want to do that yet, but I like your approach I think.)

Anyway, I'll follow along. :D

Welcome and you're welcome to snag anything that looks useful. 

Trying to decide if I want to make a writing side quest this time around. I'm currently almost 20k into rewriting a novel so that it will be better. However, that's pretty much all I'm going to be able to do for a while, so maybe a daily word count goal? I don't know. I'm not very good at writing every day. 

• Like 2

Level 4 Drow Adventurer

Daily Battle Log

MyFitnessPal | Twitter

I like your goals, ambitious but doable :)

Truthfully, I feel like I'm eating all the time

Do you know why you are eating? I'm exploring the realm of emotional eating (reading "eat Q" now), it might be worth to look into that.

Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

I'm looking forward to seeing what you're doing this time around! :) I've started thinking about getting a Fitbit, how reliable are they?

Level 6 Druid

My Journey:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Battle Log Photo Album Character Twitter

Carry the sun inside you, and reach out for the dreams that guide you. You have everything you need to take you where you want to go. -Douglas Pagels

I'm looking forward to seeing what you're doing this time around! :) I've started thinking about getting a Fitbit, how reliable are they?

I like my Flex, but I've had to have it replaced twice in the last six months, so I don't know how reliable I would call that. I have never had another kind so I can't give you any specifics on what the others do. However, I really like it otherwise I would have given up on it after the first one kicked the bucket. 

I like your goals, ambitious but doable :)

Do you know why you are eating? I'm exploring the realm of emotional eating (reading "eat Q" now), it might be worth to look into that.

I think it's mostly a combination of opportunity and boredom. I spend a lot of time at home working on writing, so I have plenty of time to eat. Between the constant food and the tea, I almost always have something in my mouth. It's a terrible habit but one I haven't quite been able to kick probably because every time I think I've got it something comes along and it goes from being boredom eating to I feel bad and food makes me feel better eating. 

Level 4 Drow Adventurer

Daily Battle Log

MyFitnessPal | Twitter

Welcome and you're welcome to snag anything that looks useful. 

Trying to decide if I want to make a writing side quest this time around. I'm currently almost 20k into rewriting a novel so that it will be better. However, that's pretty much all I'm going to be able to do for a while, so maybe a daily word count goal? I don't know. I'm not very good at writing every day. 

A daily word count could be a good goal! 20k is nothing to sneeze at :-)  I tried NaNoWriMo a couple times and ended up in the fetal position halfway into week 2. So I'm super duper impressed by your writing dedication! :D

I like your goals. It is ambitious, but not impossible. But that's the point right? To challenge yourself! I'll be rooting for you!

• Like 1

I like my Flex, but I've had to have it replaced twice in the last six months, so I don't know how reliable I would call that. I have never had another kind so I can't give you any specifics on what the others do. However, I really like it otherwise I would have given up on it after the first one kicked the bucket. 

Hmm, interesting. I used to use Nike+ when it first came out. I had bought a pair of shoes that had the sensor slot built in them. I wore those things to pieces. Not due to running, just because I did a lot of walking at the time. I'm torn between a Fitbit and a Nike+ Fuelband. I'm rough on watches and I can't imagine a poor little health band will get better treatment. 

• Like 1

Level 6 Druid

My Journey:

Carry the sun inside you, and reach out for the dreams that guide you. You have everything you need to take you where you want to go. -Douglas Pagels

A daily word count could be a good goal! 20k is nothing to sneeze at :-)  I tried NaNoWriMo a couple times and ended up in the fetal position halfway into week 2. So I'm super duper impressed by your writing dedication! :D

I like your goals. It is ambitious, but not impossible. But that's the point right? To challenge yourself! I'll be rooting for you!

I've done NaNoWriMo so many times, I consider myself a pro at it. However, I often don't write every day. I tend to have larger word counts on non-consecutive days, so maybe a weekly count would be better suited. I can easily knock down 10k a week if I put my mind to it. Things to think about.

Hmm, interesting. I used to use Nike+ when it first came out. I had bought a pair of shoes that had the sensor slot built in them. I wore those things to pieces. Not due to running, just because I did a lot of walking at the time. I'm torn between a Fitbit and a Nike+ Fuelband. I'm rough on watches and I can't imagine a poor little health band will get better treatment.

My Flex is small, water resistant so I don't have to take it off much, and the charge holds for about five days. The display is pretty simple to understand too. You might find you like it.

• Like 2

Level 4 Drow Adventurer

Daily Battle Log

MyFitnessPal | Twitter

Hijacking the thread a little here (so sorry!) but I wanted to input my Fitbit experience - I have a Fitbit One, it clips on my bra and I have worn it every day and night since Christmas day 2013 and it's worked perfectly. I have had to replace the little silicone clip once and the bluetooth receiver for my laptop once (a total cost of around £20 and both were probably more to do with my heavy handedness than anything else) and other than that I haven't had a single issue. I love it and would highly recommend it. It works perfectly with calorie trackers such as Sparkpeople and My Fitness Pal.

• Like 2

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

I think it's mostly a combination of opportunity and boredom. I spend a lot of time at home working on writing, so I have plenty of time to eat. Between the constant food and the tea, I almost always have something in my mouth. It's a terrible habit but one I haven't quite been able to kick probably because every time I think I've got it something comes along and it goes from being boredom eating to I feel bad and food makes me feel better eating. 

Ever tried chewing gum? Maybe it'll be a good way to replace the food. And I've read that chewing gum helps to get more blood to the brain and by that helps to concentrate. 

Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

My Flex is small, water resistant so I don't have to take it off much, and the charge holds for about five days. The display is pretty simple to understand too. You might find you like it.

Hijacking the thread a little here (so sorry!) but I wanted to input my Fitbit experience - I have a Fitbit One, it clips on my bra and I have worn it every day and night since Christmas day 2013 and it's worked perfectly. I have had to replace the little silicone clip once and the bluetooth receiver for my laptop once (a total cost of around £20 and both were probably more to do with my heavy handedness than anything else) and other than that I haven't had a single issue. I love it and would highly recommend it. It works perfectly with calorie trackers such as Sparkpeople and My Fitness Pal.

Well, I did a bit of researching to compare the most recent Nike+ with Fitbit and Fitbit wins. Most people seem to like it better and it will work with my phone. Nike+ does not.

Level 6 Druid

My Journey:

Thanks for the input. Always good to get other opinions.

Hiya, teammate!  :triumphant: It's great to see such a well thought-out plan. I'll be following your progress. :watermelon:

Welcome, welcome! I hope to put up some good work this time around.

Ever tried chewing gum? Maybe it'll be a good way to replace the food. And I've read that chewing gum helps to get more blood to the brain and by that helps to concentrate.

I can't chew gum unfortunately. I'll lock my jaw up. Currently working on putting together things I can eat that won't necessarily expand my waistline.

Well, I did a bit of researching to compare the most recent Nike+ with Fitbit and Fitbit wins. Most people seem to like it better and it will work with my phone. Nike+ does not.

Cool. Hope everything was helpful.
  • Like 2

Level 4 Drow Adventurer

Daily Battle Log

MyFitnessPal | Twitter

Im looking forward to following you for this challenge. We have similar quests and goals so hopefully I can provide some good support.

Hello new person. You're welcome to make yourself comfortable, hang out a bit. Things should, hopefully, be interesting this go round.

• Like 1

Level 4 Drow Adventurer

Daily Battle Log

MyFitnessPal | Twitter

Hi Our.lady.of.ashes!

You have some great goals, and I am totally gunna stalk... I mean follow your progress!

Stalk me all you like. I don't usually leave the curtains open so no peeps how but lots of good exercise work.

Level 4 Drow Adventurer

Daily Battle Log

MyFitnessPal | Twitter

I have the Force and its been very reliable for almost 2 years, the battery lasts about twice a long as they say it should. Fitbit has done a great job with customer service from everything I have read. I am actually thinking about upgrading to the HR. I guess the only complaint is the lack of waterproofing, but that really hasnt been much of a problem. 

• Like 1

Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it - Charles Swindoll

Current Challenge

Typos? - I blame the phone

The part I'm most interested in is your choice of upping the ante to 5 days a week workout, knowing you had a hard time in the past with 3 days. I'm curious whether it's easier for you when it becomes a constant habit. I'd also never heard of Darebee and like the look of their 30-day challenges. cool!

• Like 1

Level 0 Recruit

Challenge 1: Thread | Spreadsheet | Battle Log

Bad Doodler in The Renaissance Rebels.

"They're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us.

They can't get away this time." - Chesty Puller

Long-term goals beyond the scope of this challenge:

Push. Up. (Complete 50 push-ups in one set. Currently: 10.)

20%
20%

Fit into those pants. (Get weight down to 118 from 148lbs. Currently: 136.)

40%
40%

The part I'm most interested in is your choice of upping the ante to 5 days a week workout, knowing you had a hard time in the past with 3 days. I'm curious whether it's easier for you when it becomes a constant habit. I'd also never heard of Darebee and like the look of their 30-day challenges. cool!

Knowing me, I'll probably be doing some kind of exercise everyday before the end of the challenge or I will fail this portion miserably. Guess we'll see.

Level 4 Drow Adventurer

Daily Battle Log

MyFitnessPal | Twitter

Knowing me, I'll probably be doing some kind of exercise everyday before the end of the challenge or I will fail this portion miserably. Guess we'll see.

Don't be so hard on yourself. I used to do yoga daily. I couldn't remember to workout unless I did every single day. I used Tara Stiles yoga podcast. Her videos where 3-5 minutes long and easy to squeeze into a busy day (or a day I forgot I needed to workout). The last time I checked, it is still on iTunes for free. Some of her stuff is really hard, but the shorter videos are usually easier. They might also be on Youtube, but I haven't looked.

• Like 1

Level 6 Druid

My Journey: