Creating Rituals (JMitch)

Jett

Jym dreamed, the taste of flowers in her mouth.

She stood on a low hill, which sloped gently into the embrace of a U-shaped bend of a slow, ancient river. Below her, the hill and riverbank were a patchwork quilt of vineyards, striped with dark green vines and brown earth. The vines were heavy with grapes, warm and ripe in the midmorning sun. The heat of the sun was offset by a playful breeze, which herded thin, wispy clouds across the sky like a flock of freshly shorn sheep. Near the river, a cluster of red-roofed houses formed a town, ringed around a church with a thin white steeple. The occasional sound of a dog barking or a mother calling for her children floated up from the village to Jym's spot on the hill.

Jym enjoyed the scene for a while, feeling completely at ease and natural. It took some time before she realized that she was standing in full sunlight, and the experience was not unpleasant. There was a quiet step behind her, and she turned.

"Ith'zelee!" She recognized her ancestor at once.

He nodded. "Little sister."

They stood in companionable silence for a few minutes, while Jym tried to decide of she was flattered or offended by the nickname. Finally, she spoke.

"You can call me Jym."

Ith'zelee raised a silvery eyebrow. "Nicknames have changed over the years, have they? That sounds more like a boy's nickname than the name of a Princess."

Jym flushed violet under her dark skin. "Nevermind why! You wouldn't understand. It's just the name I like, okay?"

Ith'zelee shrugged. "You can call me Zee."

Jym looked around at the beautiful land before them, noticing that the sun was advancing rapidly through its cycle now that Zee had arrived. Below them, humans gathered at their homes to eat a meal, and the sun approached the horizon, sending long shadows over the vineyards. Lights came on in the windows, and then eventually went out, leaving the town shrouded in darkness. The stars came out overhead, as breathtaking as always. And then, the moon rose.

It was nearly full, and when it peeked over the horizon, it seemed large enough to swallow the riverside town whole. The silver light washed over them, and Jym stood in silent awe. Finally, after what might have been hours or only minutes, the moon reached her zenith. Zee spoke.

"She is Eilistraee, the dancing goddess. She is the only true goddess of the drow left. Our kind have long hidden from her view, but she has many secrets to teach, to those who will listen."

Jym watched the moon for a while longer, until a high wind whipped up, blowing clouds in to cover it.

• Like 7

I started the free 14 day trial on Ancestry.com. I started with the furthest-back known ancestor I have. So far, I've just fleshed out names a bit. It turns out that "Barbara Klumb" is actually "Susanna Barbara Klumpp" and her maiden name was either Enderle or Enderlin. Well, it's a start. I also found her husband, who in my records was called "John Fredrick Klumb", but I've seen "Johann Freidrich Klump[p]" so far, which makes sense, because why would his name be Americanized when he lived his whole life in Germany? None of these records have yielded their direct ancestors yet, though, so I don't yet have anything further back than 7 generations. (That's still a lot, though!)

I need to start researching some divergent branches that I don't have as many generations of information on, like the Whitfields.

ETA: I decided to research the name "Klumpp". Turns out, it means "fat and lumpy person". Fantastic. :/

But, I learned that the surname first arose in the Swabia area, which is the region that I've been researching. It's also, obviously, German... of a dialect that is related to the Alemanni. (Those pagan German guys that came along and pushed out the Romans around 500 CE.) So, at least the Klumpp branch of the family probably came in with the Alemanni, and was probably in the same general area for hundreds of years. I plan to research the other surnames that I can't trace back any further, and see which parts of the worlds they originated in.

I also finally found an index to Johann Klumpp's dad. His name was Johannes Klumpp. Susanna named 2 of her kids Johann and Johanna, and Johanna named her son Johann. I don't think my ancestors were very good at names...

(Seriously, the more I look, the more Johanns there are. I think there are 7 solid generations of Johanns and counting. This is kind of insane.)

Second Edit: Now I've got the 8th generation on the Klump branch filled out! This is addicting. I wonder how far back I'll be able to go with ancestry.com.

What I've learned so far is that back then, there really was no standardization of names. The Priest or whoever was writing stuff down just put what it sounded like to them. So there are variations of names in different records, like "Johann Friderich Klumpp" vs "Johannes Friedrich Klump", or even names like "Ricker" vs "Rieger" that look different but sound similar.

Edit 3: I broke the 1700 barrier (I was having trouble finding records before 1700) and I got the name of a 10th-generation ancestor! I really should go to bed... =_= So interesting, though!

• Like 2

Researching your family tree is hugely addicting, I seriously need to find some time and do more.

One trick I've picked up over the years might come in handy. If you see an odd middle name, something more likely a last name, there is a chance it could be the mother's maiden name or the father's mother's maiden name.

I feel your pain with ancestors using the same names, My Dad's side of the family has about a million "Robert's & John's" in it, can get confusing.

Really glad you're enjoying yourself!

• Like 1

Race: Halfling     Class: Rebel

Recruit 1st 2nd 3rd 4th  5th 6th  7th  8th 9th 10th  11th 12th 13th  14th  15th

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

Fictionfirst Used Books (Feel free to like my page!)

It is definitely super addicting!

I've seen a few maiden names as middle names so far. Unfortunately, I'm stuck at one point on a lady who doesn't have any indication of her maiden name at all. And her husband seems to have fallen out of the sky, so my research on that branch is stuck. (Actually, that was during the time that the plague was active in Germany, so they probably fled to that town during the confusion, and all records of them got scrambled up and lost.)

I have a theory about the same-name thing. I was researching ancient Germanic practices and beliefs, and one of them was that a descendant could inherit his ancestor's "luck" if he had the same name as him. I think "luck" in this case means more like "natural skill" or "blessings" or "destiny" - it's seen sometimes with kings trying to emulate the powerful rule of their forefathers. But it wouldn't surprise me if this turned into a common practice of naming your children after yourself, so that you could pass everything, including your spiritual qualities, down to them when you died. The practice could have continued for centuries in Germany, even after the reason for doing so was long forgotten.

Or, maybe they were just extremely unimaginative. Could be that, too.

• Like 2

I ate way too many pigs in a blanket... T_T My tummy hurts and I'm afraid to count up the calories.

It wasn't even, like, an emotional binge or something, it was just that I made too many because I'm not used to cooking for one, and I didn't want them to get stale.

Omg, if I was there, and if I could eat gluten, I would so have helped you with that. Man! Now I want pigs in a blanket! *pout* :P

• Like 1

Lv 1 Wood Elf, 

A New Beginning C1:  A Rough Start, b=But Still a Start

Lv 7 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 15 | DEX: 8 | STA: 12 | CON: 11 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 12

That's wonderful, omg! So happy for you, that must be such a relief!

Lv 1 Wood Elf, 

Lv 7 Wood Elf Ranger

Your ancestry project sounds like a lot of fun. When I did the Ancestry trial, I didn't get back too far. 

I was fortunate enough to already have a fairly extensive family tree compiled by a second cousin once removed (or something like that), so I had a good base to build from. I've also found 3 other "Haag Family Trees" on Ancestry.com while researching so far! I don't even know who these people are, but apparently we're distantly related. They've already done a lot of the research on the branches I'm looking at, so I just have to double-check their work and then copy it down onto my own little tree. :3

What did you think of the Minions movie?

Eh. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't fantastic. I really liked the 2 Despicable Me movies, but this one's writing felt less tight, and some of the humor was a little off. The minions are cute, but it's hard to make something that can't talk a relatable character. I actually thought the villain and her husband were the most interesting characters in the movie, but their characterization felt a little trite. I would have preferred to watch a movie about them, and how they temporarily acquired the Minions, but squandered their use... which isn't quite what this is.

I ate way too many pigs in a blanket... T_T My tummy hurts and I'm afraid to count up the calories.

It wasn't even, like, an emotional binge or something, it was just that I made too many because I'm not used to cooking for one, and I didn't want them to get stale.

I've been a victim of this as well, usually when it comes to tea biscuits or another "carby" treat.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

I was supposed to have heard back from the insurance company by now... I finally screwed up my courage and checked the website. And OMG, if I'm reading this right, they refunded everything except for one month's worth! Holy crap, I really wasn't expecting them to make this right. I am so relieved!

YESSSSSSS!!!!!!! This is awesome!!!!! And it probably helps with the money concerns too :) 

Also I have been there with the pigs in a blanket scenario.... Maybe freeze some next time? 

Wormwood is ADORABLE :D

• Like 1

level 21 magic cat druid, doodlie for life

sucking at something is the first step to being sort of good at something

past challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Current

(old) Battle LogBattle Log

Nice cat. 

He may not be sure exactly what you are doing but I am sure he thinks it is wrong.

• Like 4

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

I put up a shelf a few days ago, and when I was almost halfway through, Wormwood climbed inside and sat there, like, "This new house you built for me is nice, but the walls could be a little higher."

2eal6jd.jpg

I get that with Mickey and the laundry basket everytime. "Oh, were you going to use that? I think I would get a ride first!"

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

The Egyptians used to worship cats, the cats have never forgotten it.

I forget where I heard that, but I think that some of the cats have adopted a survival strategy that hinges on the humans putting up with anything that's cute.

• Like 2

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Wormwood is ADORABLE :D

Yes he is! :3

Nice cat. 

He may not be sure exactly what you are doing but I am sure he thinks it is wrong.

Lol, yeah. Thanks for posting the video; that was cute. :)

I get that with Mickey and the laundry basket everytime. "Oh, were you going to use that? I think I would get a ride first!"

Cats have the natural instinct to figure out exactly where the most obnoxious place to be is at any given moment, and then sit there. (Although Wormwood is actually surprisingly considerate most of the time! He waits for me to get up before asking for food in the mornings, for example.)

The Egyptians used to worship cats, the cats have never forgotten it.

I forget where I heard that, but I think that some of the cats have adopted a survival strategy that hinges on the humans putting up with anything that's cute.

Wormwood has definitely learned to manipulate with his cuteness. I think he practices new moves when we're out of the house and then tries them on us when he wants something. Something he started doing a few weeks ago is, if he's woken up by one of us moving past where he's napping, to stretch with his front paws reaching out for the person nearest to him. He does a little yawn and wiggles onto his back, and then looks up through his eyelashes and makes little "prrp" noises until somebody rubs his tummy. It's about the cutest thing I've seen in my life. I can never resist giving him the tummy rub!

• Like 5

Week 4 Summary

2dc787s.png

When I called this challenge "Creating Rituals", I didn't really expect that to be literal! Not in a religious sense, anyway. So uhh... yeah. I kinda converted to a new religion in the last two weeks. :tongue: Also, as I've been mentioning here and there, on Wednesday, Will went up to Indiana with his friend to visit his family. (They both have family there.) He's supposed to come back on Tuesday, but now they're having car trouble, so it might be a little longer. This is the 5th day I've been alone, and while I enjoyed it quite a bit for the first few days (JMitch, the eternal introvert!) I am now really missing him. :(

Turn my Morning/Evening Rituals into habits: F

I'm a little surprised to realize just how much living with another person has an effect on my daily routine. With Will gone, I've gone totally off the rails. Staying up on the computer until 3 or 4 am, waking up at noon or later (on the weekend). I've got one week of work left, and a part of me feels like there's no point in even putting in the effort to control my schedule. But of course, that's stupid. I'm going to need to have my schedule under control for when I get a new job. Letting myself spiral into a nocturnal schedule will just make things harder.

No Snacking: Not bad, B!

I did snack once, on Wednesday when I was home sick. I had a bag of chocolate-covered raisins, and decided to just finish it. Not my finest hour, but it was a conscious choice and I don't regret it. I also "accidentally" overate on the pigs in a blanket, but I've been eating at quite a deficit for most of the rest of the days. Turns out, when I have to cook for myself, I just eat what's handy. If there are no handy snacks to eat, then I make something healthy and don't bother eating anything that requires extra effort. The downside to being married to a good cook, I guess: a surplus of delicious food that I didn't have to put in any effort to get!

Build a Capsule Wardrobe for late summer and early fall: I bought two pairs of pants yesterday, which should complete my 'needed items' list. Now I have to weed out old stuff that doesn't fit or that I don't want to keep anymore. I'll probably do this tomorrow. It will feel good to check something off my list. :)

Trace back my ancestry as far as I can on each branch: Yep, going well. I need to spend some time finishing filling out the branches, though, before my free trial on Ancestry.com runs out. I've got a week and a half.

6) Complete my spouse's website: Backed up the posts and switched over to WordPress. Putting in the plugins for requested features like Markdown. Not sure how soon I'll start on the design work, but I'll try to at least get the temporary design to look decent so that I can take my time on making a really nice theme that I can proudly show off.

• Like 5

I love hearing about other people's cat's "tactics." Max's best one is sort of rearranging his front paws while looking up at you in the kitchen.

I actually find making and keeping a schedule a lot easier without someone else in the house. Even as a kid, I could only really clean and keep to a schedule alone. I guess I don't deal well with human variables. :|

• Like 1

When I called this challenge "Creating Rituals", I didn't really expect that to be literal! Not in a religious sense, anyway. So uhh... yeah. I kinda converted to a new religion in the last two weeks. :tongue:

These things happen, often when least expected. :P

• Like 2

Lv 1 Wood Elf, 

Lv 7 Wood Elf Ranger