• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Calibre

R.D. Nottingham Explores The Three Secret Gates

Onto The Next Challenge!!

RPO cover

Brief recap of last challenge: Pretty much was a washout for my fitness goals but did learn several things.

This challenge will (hopefully) be a welcome change to the former challenge. Continuing on with the previous challenge, more that I (kinda) found the Three Hidden Keys, time to unlock the Three Secret Gates. While similar, the last challenge gave me thoughts about how to augment and work them better.And now, on that note:

AGAIN, MAY HAVE SLIGHT SPOILERS, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!

Goal One: Out-Think the Copper Gate

In the book, when Wade slips into the first gate, he ends up in a recreation of the film Wargames. Matthew Broderick as the quintessential 80s movie hacker. He needed to out think both the government and the computer. So now what I need to do is out think my old habits and get my mind working better.

Goal 1: Learn something new every week (something substantial, via app, class, etc). +3 WIS

Goal Two: Out-Fight the Jade Gate

Through the second gate, one needed to contend with the game Black Tiger (Dragon in Japan). Very similar to many of the side-scrolling fighting games of the time like Double Dragon or Strider, it shows me the need to fight for what I want. 

Goal 2: Bodyweight workouts 3x per week +2 STR, +1 STA

Goal Three: Out-Play the Crystal Gate

I'm not going into too much detail on this one just because it's the last one and pretty awesome but I will say it dealt with several different things and now, so must I. I'm calling this the Three F's Goal (though three f's have nothing to do with the book, just this challenge). Going to focus on Food, Fellowship, and Focus.

Goal 3a: Food: 7 Healthy Meals per week (no limitations) +1 CON, +1 CHA

Goal 3b: Fellowship: Keeping up with the community +1 WIS, +1 CHA

Goal 3c: Focus: Meditate for 30 15 minutes twice a week +1 STA, +1 WIS

• Like 7

Have you meditated much before? I found it easier to start with a small amount more frequently (ie 5 min per day), but yours would definitely get you deep in to it quickly. Also... Seems like meditating is a great way to out-think things... Just saying ;)

• Like 2

Have you meditated much before? I found it easier to start with a small amount more frequently (ie 5 min per day), but yours would definitely get you deep in to it quickly. Also... Seems like meditating is a great way to out-think things... Just saying ;)

Minor bits of meditation here and there. I may consider reducing the time but definitely still twice a week.

Meditating would definitely be a way to out-think things. Either I will move the mediation to goal 1 or I do need to come up with my goal for that quickly. I know something is in my mind that needs to come out and be worked on. And soon.

Minor bits of meditation here and there. I may consider reducing the time but definitely still twice a week.

Meditating would definitely be a way to out-think things. Either I will move the mediation to goal 1 or I do need to come up with my goal for that quickly. I know something is in my mind that needs to come out and be worked on. And soon.

I agree with maybe doing shorter times more often. I use incense every time I meditate. My mind recognizes it as a signal to meditate, so it helps me get that focus. Use a scent you don't otherwise experience - not a good idea to zone out while driving a car because you smelled the scent that makes your mind go into a meditative state. I use a tree meditation if you'd like any guidance.

• Like 3

As always I love the support each and every one of you bring to me and my challenges :D It very much helps me along in my journeys. 

I'm still try to come up with a challenge goal for Gate One and I don't have much time. Workouts, meals, community and meditation.... but what else?? Maybe I need to rewatch Wargames quickly to get another idea. 

On a brighter note, had an old song pop into my head and it really resonates with my soul and, I'm willing to bet, resonates in some of your souls as well. From two of my favorite categories of songs (movie soundtracks and one hit wonders) I bring you Chesney Hawkes:

https://youtu.be/z8f2mW1GFSI

Some people have Adulting type tasks that go in their challenge, tasks they tend to backburner too much. An example in my life would be shredding the gosh-darned mail. I hate doing it. 

How's your sleep? Energy levels? If those are out kilter, creating a regular bedtime/logging sleep would be a very good thing to do to figure yourself out and hold yourself accountable to see if that improves the way you feel.

I've also seen a LOT of "do something fun" challenges pop up lately, when people want to take a break and do something lighter--go some place you've never been before, take pictures, that sort of thing. 

You could set a reading goal as well...there's a few ideas, not much but if I think of something else I'll post. 

• Like 2

One of the random but fun things I do is pick a random work and learn it in three different language.

For example: Butterfly

French- Pappillon

Spanish- Mariposa

German- Schmetterling

This is one of those words that you're not going to just randomly guess in a new language then :P

• Like 3

One of the random but fun things I do is pick a random work and learn it in three different language.

For example: Butterfly

French- Pappillon

Spanish- Mariposa

German- Schmetterling

This is one of those words that you're not going to just randomly guess in a new language then :tongue:

You could sign up for a word of the day and do this quest based on that?

• Like 3

I tend to forget to add a life goal to my challenges, but I can always use some Adulting. The book and foreign language ideas sound like fun. I did make socializing more on NF a goal once. Might do that again. It gives me an excuse to get online :)

What about working on voice overs? There is a website that asks people to record themselves reading books so they can build a free library for people. That could be fun if you can read books you like while you record.

• Like 3

What about working on voice overs? There is a website that asks people to record themselves reading books so they can build a free library for people. That could be fun if you can read books you like while you record.

I might have to look into that. :)

I may do a goal to Adult better, definitely have to make a decision today, no excuses.

• Like 2

I might have to look into that. :)

I may do a goal to Adult better, definitely have to make a decision today, no excuses.

You have a lot of sub-goals in goal 3, so IMHO goal 1 shouldn't be too heavy--a baby step type goal would be a good call IMHO.

• Like 1

You have a lot of sub-goals in goal 3, so IMHO goal 1 shouldn't be too heavy--a baby step type goal would be a good call IMHO.

I shall definitely take that under consideration. If work would like to slow down anytime soon maybe I can think about things more :/

Super busy work is boo. Busy makes the day go faster, but after a point it's exhausting. All the better reason to not try to overreach.

• Like 1