• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Calibre

R.D. Nottingham Explores The Three Secret Gates

Yeah, a room full of chicken and broccoli beats the pants off Diet Coke, highly recommend the Paleo style of cooking--or at least "whole foods" cooking if grains and beans aren't on the expletive list, lol.

• Like 1

Tomorrow is another day, and better than the last definitely! I don't have experience with paleo, but I know I love trying new foods of any kind! Also, it never hurts to eat healthier. I can't afford to eat organic every meal, but I do fill in my diet with it as much as possible. Good for you trying something new.

• Like 1

Week One Recap

Well, week one could have gone a lot better but it did have the great benefit of some very necessary downtime.

Goal Recap:

Learning something new each week: 1/1

This week I decided to learn something more about Paleo eating so I got into reading the book Well Fed by Melissa Joulwan. Lots of good information about the foods and cooking methods plus the concept she has for the Hot Plates (pretty much having cold things prepped to be able to make a hot meal in 10ish minutes) could work out great. 

Bodyweight workouts 3x a week: 0/3

OK, yes, I've slacked on this a lot and have no one to blame but myself. I could still have easily done my workouts while out of town but I didn't. I let the lazy bug stay firmly in me. But this is a new week and I should have PLENTY of energy.

7 Healthy Meals: 1/7

I did have one good meal but that's about it. Traveling plus my family aren't always conducive to healthy eating. Though now I'm back home and ready to get back to work (plus the Paleo info will help greatly).

Keeping up with the Community: 1/1

While I wasn't doing the best time of that at the end of the week, I did keep up with my people for the start of the challenge. I love each and every one of you and I want to be there for your successes and help you IF you stumble. Week Two will bring more successes and more of me with you!! :D

Meditate for 15 minutes 2x a week: 1/2

Getting myself trained up to mediate is harder than I expected. I did manage to do some good meditation plus I did lots of relaxation while at my parents so that I could get some of my sanity back. More work on this for the new week.

Overall the week was a bit of a stumbling but I got LOTS of necessary relaxation and decompressing so that's a victory. This is a new week so I think I'm going to have some good successes and get my rusty wheels rolling again.

Plus, as promised, just a couple of pics from Michigan. This is in the thumb area (yes, that's what we call it) and the land you see on the other side of the water really is Canada (more specifically, Courtright, Ontario):

LSC Pana

Riverwalk

Park Moon

• Like 4

The prep for hot plates sounds like a solid plan - I'll be interested to hear if it works out for you.  I myself stumble with that fairly often - I end up eating scrambled eggs for dinner a lot.  Not the end of the world - I like them and have my own chickens - but it would be better to be organized, I think. 

A good first week - here's to using our first weeks as building blocks for the next!

• Like 1

The prep for hot plates sounds like a solid plan - I'll be interested to hear if it works out for you.  I myself stumble with that fairly often - I end up eating scrambled eggs for dinner a lot.  Not the end of the world - I like them and have my own chickens - but it would be better to be organized, I think. 

A good first week - here's to using our first weeks as building blocks for the next!

Scrambled Eggs are my definite quick and easy morning breakfast. Throw several eggs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano and a little bacon and BLAMMO!! I need to get me a good quick dinner idea like that though.

What you need are one pot meals for dinner. Are you going strictly paleo? If not strictly paleo, what's allowed? Just to give me an idea of what's in bounds before I start throwing pasta recipes around like an idiot.

• Like 1

What you need are one pot meals for dinner. Are you going strictly paleo? If not strictly paleo, what's allowed? Just to give me an idea of what's in bounds before I start throwing pasta recipes around like an idiot.

Ok, one, no one is an idiot here. I respect each and every thought, comment, encouragement and suggestion so no worries :D

Two, totally not going into paleo with both feet. More like sticking the big toe into the shallow end.

I know one of my biggest ills is that I eat out too much. I need to be eating in, at home, way more often. Paleo looks to be a good addition to my regular diet, inserting a couple Paleo meals per week is a hidden goal right now.

I do need to prep more ahead of time, that's probably one of my greater weakness.

• Like 1

I just didn't want to give you a bunch of links to sort through that weren't compatible. Okay, mix of paleo and non-paleo ideas, coming right up:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/bart-s-black-bean-soup- doesn't get easier than this. I double it and add canned chicken (cooking for 2 people, mind you).

This was my lunch today: http://www.mostlyhomemademom.com/2014/07/eggroll-in-bowl.html?m=1#_a5y_p=3596162

http://m.simplystacie.net/2014/09/lasagna-bowl/- decadent as it looks, this would be a great treat to keep you away from take-out. Frankly it's better than anything you'd get from a fast food place anyway. You can convert this to a healthier version by making zoodles or just doing something like this beef ragu with zoodles.

Chili. Chili is the simplest and heartiest thing you can make and there's a million variants of it if you're bored of the same-old-same-old:

http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/kill-city-chili

http://food52.com/recipes/15871-tuxedo-chili

https://onceamonthmeals.com/recipes/gluten-free-dairy-free-chili-verde/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=gluten-free-dairy-free-chili-verde

http://www.thisgalcooks.com/paleo-chili/

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/white-chicken-chili

Whether or not you actually throw this chicken on the grill, it's killer: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/moroccan_spiced_grilled_chicken_breasts/

A great lunch item, if you're wanting to get a little more fancy/involved: http://www.lifeasaplate.com/2011/03/06/mexican-pulled-chicken-stuffed-peppers/. Stuffed peppers are a great general dish to look up, there are so many variations it's ridiculous

And of course if you're wanting to go to a bit of trouble (it's not hard to make, really), there's always gumbo http://emerils.com/128409/kick-butt-gumbo

I'll end this recipe dump with a healthy entree, balsamic salmon http://hipfoodiemom.com/2012/07/24/keepin-it-real-with-balsamic-glazed-salmon/

Now, I know these won't be a 100% winner list, everyone's tastes are different, but maybe this will give you some ideas. 

• Like 1

Despite eating paleo-ish for most of the last 12 months I have never read Well Fed. I figured I had read enough already and I wouldn't find anything new. But I want to learn about the hot plate idea. It's probably like the food prep I try to do but might have some good ideas I haven't thought of.

If you are struggling with the BW workout could you try splitting it up? Tell yourself to do one or maybe two of the exercises in the morning. Just to build the habit.

• Like 2

Yay hot plates!!! It's a great way to think about feeding oneself for the week. Also, Well Fed is amazing. Go read it. I doubt I would have stayed Paleo-ish without it ;)

• Like 2

Despite eating paleo-ish for most of the last 12 months I have never read Well Fed. I figured I had read enough already and I wouldn't find anything new. But I want to learn about the hot plate idea. It's probably like the food prep I try to do but might have some good ideas I haven't thought of.

If you are struggling with the BW workout could you try splitting it up? Tell yourself to do one or maybe two of the exercises in the morning. Just to build the habit.

Well, it was available via Kindle Unlimited and it looked like a good read so I went for it :) It is very much food prep related. 

With the BW workout, that may be an idea. Honestly, with how I feel I need to progress with my weight loss, I'm feeling like I need to do it all at once. Then again, now that I'm thinking as I'm typing, my body doesn't know it needs it but anything is better than nothing. I may start doing that! :D

Yay hot plates!!! It's a great way to think about feeding oneself for the week. Also, Well Fed is amazing. Go read it. I doubt I would have stayed Paleo-ish without it ;)

And if I feed myself for the week, that's better than getting junk food for my nutrition. Reading it is the easy part, implementing it into my eating is the difficult part.

Plus, just got to say to you both, ROCKING AMBASSADORS!!! :D :D 

• Like 3

Days Eight and Nine

Well, slowly getting myself back into normal functioning mode after the long time off work and resting. Monday was a day for getting myself realigned, yesterday was a day of work. Still haven't honed it on my learning goal for this week. I did manage to eat a good dinner last night (eggs, go figure). Still early in the week so I have time left to accomplish my fitness goals. Might be taking LIghtning's idea about splitting up my workouts into morning and evening so that I accomplish it. Plus, might just need to go back to the BBWW instead of trying to come up with something I'm more comfortable with. 

Let the day roll on!!

• Like 2

Days Eight and Nine

Well, slowly getting myself back into normal functioning mode after the long time off work and resting. Monday was a day for getting myself realigned, yesterday was a day of work. Still haven't honed it on my learning goal for this week. I did manage to eat a good dinner last night (eggs, go figure). Still early in the week so I have time left to accomplish my fitness goals. Might be taking LIghtning's idea about splitting up my workouts into morning and evening so that I accomplish it. Plus, might just need to go back to the BBWW instead of trying to come up with something I'm more comfortable with. 

Let the day roll on!!

I've been using programs off of bodybuilding.com if you wanted to take a look around there. THey have some fun programs with different skill levels.

• Like 1

Day Ten

My last day off in a good stretch was pretty uneventful. Honestly it was downright lazy! Was waiting a little while about having some work done on a couple of windows but that fell through. So the rest of the day consisted of veeeeeery little. 

I think I may have an idea for my learning goal. Mostly what I need done right now with the windows is having some of the moulding redone. Thinking I might pickpick up a book on carpentry or DIY carpentry to see what I can pick up. Mealwise I need to get my ass in gear. 

Things need to be shaken awake and FAST!!