Presea

[Presea] ♫ We all live in a Pokémon world ♫

♫ I wanna be the greatest master of them all! ♫

So you wanna be the Master of
Pokémon!
Do you have the skills to be
Number one!?

Quest 1: "Snorlax is fast asleep"

Sleep like Snorlax.  Last challenge, there were a few times when I got behind on sleep, and I found out how hard it is to stick to other goals when you're tired.  So, priority #1 should be sleep.  However, I know that life happens and I can't always control how much sleep I get in a specific night or what time I get to bed.  Thus, my goal for the challenge is to average 8 hours/night, thereby accumulating 392 hours over the course of the 7 weeks.

Points possible:

CON - 4

CHA - 2 (because a well-rested me is a more pleasant me to be around)

snorlax.gif

"Snorlax used leftovers!"  No!  You've had enough leftovers for one day, Snorlax!  Which brings me to my next quest...

Quest 2: "Ninetails used flamethrower!"

Burn more calories than you consume like slim and graceful Ninetails.  I should be getting my replacement Fitbit in the mail near the end of week 1 or the beginning of week 2.  Until then, I'll have to continue guesstimating my calories burned.  While I enjoy and want to continue a lot of summertime activities (tennis, biking, walking), I need to make other things a priority sometimes.  That's okay, because I have control over the other side of the equation - how much I eat.  Goal is an average deficit of 500 calories a day, so 24,500 for the 7 week challenge.

Points possible:

CON - 2

STA - 2

DEX - 1

685356_1302388577278_full.png

Quest 3: "Its brain can outperform a supercomputer. Its intelligence quotient is said to be 5,000."

Concentrate like Alakazam.  Finish that darn FSA module!  Goal will be to studay an average of 15 min/day, so 735 minutes for the challenge.

Points possible:

WIS - 4

29302-1283884400.png

• Like 3

Do you know what time it is?  Graphs and charts time!  Yay! :disturbed:

First, checking in to make sure my calorie out estimates are still working alright:

Calorie Out Calculations 7 20 15

- The first set of columns (blue headings) are calories in as tracked in MyFitnessPal

- The second set of columns (green headings) are calories out as estimated by my Fitbit (through 6/23 when my Fitbit stopped working) or by me (6/24 until I get my replacement)

- Third set of columns (purple headings) is calories in - calories out, so surplus or (deficit)

- Fourth set of columns (red headings) show estimated loss according to surplus/deficit and actual loss according to the scale.

- Fifth set of columns (navy headings) show the backwards-calculated calories out based on known values of weight change and calories in.

In total, estimated calories out by Fitbit/me are still very close to implied calories out, so we're still good to go here!  :encouragement:

Second, checking in to see how weight loss is going compared to projected and compared to my goal:

Weight graph 7 20 15

As I already knew based on how last challenge went, not so good.  I'm about 3 pounds up from my lowest weight since joining NF, but still about 5 pounds down from my starting weight.  So...at least not completely back to square one?

Lastly, I decided to follow many of my fellow rebel's examples and create a tracking chart for this challenge.  The way my challenge is set up this time, all three goals are shooting for a total goal to be achieved by the end of the 7 weeks. 

I probably won't update it everyday, but maybe after each week's review would be a good interval. 

• Like 1

Week 1, Day 1

Sleep like Snorlax

Was very tired because I only got 6 hours the night before, so got to bed an hour early.  8:30pm - 5:30 am -> 9 hours

Burn like Ninetails

Breakfast - coffee w/ milk (wasn't very hungry due to excessive peanut butter the night before)

Lunch - Sancocho de Pescado

Dinner - 1 cup each green cabbage, red cabbage, romaine, red bell pepper; 4 Tbs each sour cream and salsa; 6 small breaded chicken tenders

Evening snack - frozen peaches, banana, coconut water, protein powder, collagen powder, crispy rice cereal

Exercise - 40 min walk over lunch

CI: 1778

CO: 2100

deficit: -322

Concentrate like Alakazam

had time, but forgot!

• Like 1

As I already knew based on how last challenge went, not so good.  I'm about 3 pounds up from my lowest weight since joining NF, but still about 5 pounds down from my starting weight.  So...at least not completely back to square one?

Yup, it's headed back down, so that's not too bad. :3 It'll get there!

What if you set an alarm on your phone to remind you to study? Like, if you know you'll have a bit of free time at, say, 6:00 pm, then set an alarm for that time so you don't forget that you had something to do.

• Like 2

Yup, it's headed back down, so that's not too bad. :3 It'll get there!

What if you set an alarm on your phone to remind you to study? Like, if you know you'll have a bit of free time at, say, 6:00 pm, then set an alarm for that time so you don't forget that you had something to do.

Good idea!  I just put a reminder on my work calendar for today to study at 4pm :)

• Like 2

Week 1, Day 2

Sleep like Snorlax

9:30pm - 5:30 am -> 8 hours

Burn like Ninetails

I had planned my day to have a solid deficit, with my usual smoothie as my evening snack.  However, I found myself craving peanut butter after my bike ride, so I swapped out my evening snack - the only problem was that I ended up doubling the calories in that meal :/.  Result was a very weak deficit for the day, but I feel what I did was better than trying to resist my craving and then binging on half the jar later.  Slowly but surely trying to figure out this moderation thing.

Breakfast - coffee w/ milk; 4 eggs scrambled & topped w/salsa

Dinner - 1 cup each green cabbage, red cabbage, romaine, red bell pepper; 4 Tbs each sour cream and salsa; 6 small breaded chicken tenders

Evening snack - 2 slices toast w/peanut butter; 10 onion rings

Exercise - 40 min walk over lunch; 60 minute bike ride after work

CI: 2488

CO: 2600

deficit: -112

Did this before exercise to make sure I would have time and (more importantly) energy.  The course assigned a 2-segment npr special on why health care costs are out of control in the US, each 60 minutes long.  I listened to the first one, so 60 minutes "studying" (didn't really feel like it because it was quite interesting) for the day!

• Like 2

Hey, a deficit is still a deficit! Also proud of you for working on the moderation thing, that is a win in my opinion  :)

Thanks!  It felt like it could have turned into a binge, so I'm going to call it a win too :)

• Like 1

Thanks!  It felt like it could have turned into a binge, so I'm going to call it a win too :)

Yeah, you're getting the hang of it. :) Swapping out one higher-calorie thing for something else you wanted more, letting yourself have a fatty-foods day but eating a salad the next day... it's a bit like finding a path up a steep hill, you have to zig zag around for the best footing, because if you try to go in a straight line you'll end up slipping off the side.

• Like 2

Yeah, you're getting the hang of it. :) Swapping out one higher-calorie thing for something else you wanted more, letting yourself have a fatty-foods day but eating a salad the next day... it's a bit like finding a path up a steep hill, you have to zig zag around for the best footing, because if you try to go in a straight line you'll end up slipping off the side.

Love this analogy :)

• Like 2

Jenn this is amazing! It's going in my inspiration file for sure!  :D

• Like 1

Week 1, Day 3

Sleep like Snorlax

10:30pm - 5:30 am -> 7 hours

Burn like Ninetails

Breakfast - coffee w/ milk; 3 eggs scrambled & topped w/salsa

Evening snack - Smoothie (protein powder, collagen powder, frozen peaches and banana) topped with cereal...followed by more cereal :/

Exercise - 20 min walk in the morning; match w/company tennis team in the evening

CI: 2398

CO: 2400

deficit: -2

45 min

So...last week I shot for maintenance, and was, on average, 300 calories in surplus.  This week, I shoot for a 500 calories deficit and come in barely under maintenance everyday.  So maybe the plan should be:

shoot for  1000 calorie deficit   ---->   actually get a 500 calorie deficit   ----->    profit!?!? 

• Like 2

So...last week I shot for maintenance, and was, on average, 300 calories in surplus.  This week, I shoot for a 500 calories deficit and come in barely under maintenance everyday.  So maybe the plan should be:

shoot for  1000 calorie deficit   ---->   actually get a 500 calorie deficit   ----->    profit!?!? 

Try it! Maybe your mind's eye tends to underestimate how much you're eating, and lets you get away with more calories than you want. Overshooting could work.

• Like 2

Certainly worth trying.  You monitor everything (great data collection BTW) so you have pretty instant feedback.

Sleep is the best goal!

• Like 1

Week 1 Summary

Daily updates dropped off mid-week - work got busy, so I had to work late and a few hours both days on the weekend. 

Sleep like Snorlax

Only one night <8 hours, but made up for it with more sleep on other nights. A

Burn like Ninetails

Eating went down the trash chute mid-week and through the weekend.  I let the stress of my boyfriend's parents coming back and work get the better of me.  It didn't help that I had bought some peanut butter and sugary cereals in hopes of allowing myself small, daily indulgences.  It's clear that those privileges need to be earned first - better not to have large quantities of binge-worthy food around for now.  I want to continue to work on my moderation skills, but I'll need to find a way to do that without putting myself in danger.  F

Beat my goal for the week, even though I only studied on three days.  A

Overall grade C

The good news is that I got my Fitbit in the mail on Saturday!  I'll no longer need to estimate my calories out everyday :).

• Like 4

Sounds like overall you did pretty well. You learned something valuable about leaving trigger foods laying around, so your calorie management goal wasn't really a loss for this week. If you feel like you've earned a treat, or you just really, really crave a specific thing and have room for it in your calories, you could try buying a very small amount of it - like those single-serving cereal cups. That way, you can't trigger a binge from eating it. :3

• Like 2

Week 2, Day 1

Sleep like Snorlax

Boyfriends's mom and I skyped with my boyfriend until 10pm.  I was in bed shortly thereafter, but couldn't fall asleep because my brain wanted the usual sugar rush it's been getting at night.  However, I made a point not to buy any ready-to-eat sweets, breads, sugar cereals, or the like this week, so there was nothing to appease that urge.  I did eat a little leftover popcorn though, and with that my brain finally allowed me to fall asleep.  10:30pm - 5:30am -> 7 hours

Burn like Ninetails

Breakfast - 3 eggs scrambled in .5 tbs butter, topped w/.5 cup salsa

Lunch - chicken, mushrooms, and cauliflower roasted in pesto

Afternoon snack - had 2 cups of cherries, supposedly to give me energy for my tennis match that didn't happen

Dinner - stuffed zucchini (ground turkey, italian sausage, muenster cheese, tomato sauce)

Evening snack - 1/2 cup popcorn

Exercise - Went to some courts near work for a match.  Got there 15 mins early, warmed up, then sat and waited until 20 mins past our match time, finally called her and found out she thought it was on Tues.  So, no significant exercise today, but I did do some bodyweight exercises when I got home just to get the blood pumping a little (35 squats, 10 lunges per leg, 20 knee pushups, 60 sec plank).

CI: 1517

CO: 1987 (first day using my Fitbit again)

deficit: -470

Had to work at home in the evening, so no time for studying.

• Like 2

grats on getting your fit it, let me know how it works- have thought about getting one, but I haven't decided just yet.

Are you enjoying your FitBit?  I just got one a few days ago.  Are you going to use it for any sleep tracking?

I got a Fitbit Zip back in February.  It's the cheapest one, so all it does it track steps (no sleep, no stairs, no heart rate).  I love it though, because all I really want is a calories burned estimate that reflects the change in my activity level from day to day.  It stopped working just before I left for vacation in late June, so when I got back I called their customer service line.  After ruling out water damage (tried their bowl of rice suggestion) and dead battery (had just replaced it a couple weeks before), they decided to send me a replacement.  All I had to do was send them a screenshot of my receipt/order on Amazon, then wait a couple weeks for them to process and ship.  Hoping this one lasts longer.

• Like 1