NotSoNerdyNerd tries to KISS

Blonde-E

Well guys, yesterday was a lesson in how to over eat and not feel like you are. Hahaha

My CICO for the day +351 ish. Garbage for breakfast, empty carbs for lunch, too much coke and mexican dinner with NF friends equals waaay too many calories and not feeling full. I also love MFP telling me if I keep this up I will weigh 3.5 lbs more in 5 weeks haha thanks MFP. Anyways...I am slowly learning the lesson of quality food. Today i am set up to be better, made breakfast at home and packed a lunch.

I did however get my yoga in yesterday and I went for a sports massage which is partly them stretching you. Both felt great. Ankle feels a little better but still swollen.

Between dinner with Archon and massage, I filled my evening up so no netflix!

YAY! Awesome that you got in your yoga. Also, even better that you got a massage! (So jelly...)

CICO positive is not a big deal, IMHO. In an older article I found, Steve once said (loosely paraphrased): "The way we lose weight is consistently undereating. The way we get stronger (build muscle) is by consistently have a slight surplus. The way we gain fat is by occasionally extremely overeating". That made a lot of sense to me. There is nothing wrong with a small surplus (I consider 350 to be small, maybe other people's definitions will differ, but I have drank +3,000 calories in alcohol in an evening before, or eaten an entire pie in one sitting and those are the kind of things I have learned to avoid doing).

Also, dinner was super fun. I am glad that I helped to fill your evening with social / non-netflix activities, I had fun hanging out with you guys. Sounds like you are on track to have a great food day today!

Level 14 -- Yeti Ranger -- STR 30.25 | DEX 12.00 | STA 21.00 | CON 14.75 | WIS 18.00 | CHA 7.50

Current Challenge -- Previous Challenges -- My Epic Quest -- Album of Holding -- About Me

One day with a small surplus is pretty insignificant in the long run.  Sounds like you had a great day otherwise!

YAY! Awesome that you got in your yoga. Also, even better that you got a massage! (So jelly...)

CICO positive is not a big deal, IMHO. In an older article I found, Steve once said (loosely paraphrased): "The way we lose weight is consistently undereating. The way we get stronger (build muscle) is by consistently have a slight surplus. The way we gain fat is by occasionally extremely overeating". That made a lot of sense to me. There is nothing wrong with a small surplus (I consider 350 to be small, maybe other people's definitions will differ, but I have drank +3,000 calories in alcohol in an evening before, or eaten an entire pie in one sitting and those are the kind of things I have learned to avoid doing).

Also, dinner was super fun. I am glad that I helped to fill your evening with social / non-netflix activities, I had fun hanging out with you guys. Sounds like you are on track to have a great food day today!

I know one day of a small surplus isn't the end of the world. It was more of an eye opener for me into why I am where I am. Yesterday I was aware of what I was doing and made a *little* tiny tiny effort to not go crazy. Before this easily could have been like a 1000 calorie over load without me even knowing. This is how I ended up almost 20 lbs heavier than when I first decided I needed to loose weight. I see yesterday, and even my log from last week, as a big step forward in terms of being mindful about what I eat and how it will affect me. 

On that note....let me tell you about today's mid day mini win. I had a super crazy busy day at work, mostly because I was going to meet a supplier at their facility this afternoon so I had a lot to do before I left. Well, here I was walking out the door for the hour+ drive to the supplier and still not had a chance to eat lunch thats how busy I was. So what did I do? well I pulled out my phone and consulted MFP to see if I could afford to eat at one of the fast food places for lunch and call my packed lunch dinner instead. I took note of how many calories MFP said I had available, and ordered accordingly so I could eat on the run. Now barring any unplanned snacking I should still meet my deficit for the day! Mini win in my book.

This also means that I got home early. Without dinner plans with Archon, and my husband working late...the netflix temptation is great. I shall try hard to stay strong. Already managed 2 hours so there is hope right? I have a few things to do so it really shouldn't be too bad. Also got to get the yoga in! 

• Like 3

Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it - Charles Swindoll

Current Challenge

Typos? - I blame the phone

Huh, much to catch up here! I'm sorry about your injury and hope you get better soon. Yay for massages and yay for mini wins. And I really enjoyed reading about your insights about your food habits and your decision to be more concious of what you eat and where that will lead you. It's a long trip but it sounds like you're on the right track :)

"The way you spend your days is the way you live your life"

Challenges: Current | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Okay team time for an update.

Tuesday:

CICO: -844

38 active minutes and 9000 steps according the fitbit ( and here I was trying to be a lazy bum!)

25 minutes of yoga

Wednesday:

CICO: -646

lazy bum status achieved

and 20 minutes of yoga

Yoga has been rough this week. I think its becuase of the ankle. All the inflammation in my body has made me uber stiff. But I do feel better afterwards so its progress. I am trying hard not to spwnd a ton of time on my feet or walking around. It sems if im on my feet for more than 15 minutes or do over 5000 steps my ankle lets me know about it. Today I am feeling better, but I am a little nervous about soccer tomorrow. We have a rule that 2 girls have to be on the field all the time. There will only be 2 of us tomorrow so that means no break for me. I am hoping it will be like past weeks and I wont feel it during the game, just after.

I am also starting to see the scale move. Yay! I am an obsessive scale watcher but for me that keeps me healthy and in check. Looking forward to keeping this trend up and being able to report some awesome stats with you guys at the end of this challenge. I am starting to believe I am on track and that I can make the changes I want to make. Wow thats sounds a little too gushy for me...

• Like 5

Current Challenge

Yay for the scale victory.  I'm addicted to scale watching so I'm being firm with myself that I'm to only get on Monday mornings.  It's rough not looking at a number every day.

Good luck with the ankle!

I have been weighing myself at least  2 times a day for years. I would be so lost without my scale, actually the last time I went without my scale was when I first fell down this slippery slope of weight gain and unhealthy habits, the first time. I have been doing this for so long that I know what normal looks like to me, so a 3 lb swing day to day doesn't scare me, heck my scale can do that just by stepping off and back on. To me its just about having some sort of idea of where I am at, and it keeps me motivated. I can see if you let yourself get upset by the small fluctuations that it could be good to only get on once a week. But for me, I would feel lost all week. I am however not measuring my waist until the end of the challenge. That is hard for me.  Good luck staying strong and not giving in to checking the scale. 

Of course you can. And we're all allowed to be positive and forward-looking; you don't have to be cool all the time, you're allowed to be gushy

Thank you for this. I don't think anyone has actually ever told me I could do this, and there has been many years of self doubt and failed tries to get me down. I really appreciate the love and support of everyone here on NF, you all are great!

Current Challenge

Other news for today....

Played soccer, we lost 3-2 though I had little to do with that as I was out for 2 of the goals. Ankle is angry and the one girl on my team is a physical therapist, and she confirmed that it is the tendinitis I thought it was, and told me to really take it easy. We have a bye next week so hopefully I can achieve max lazy bum status this coming week. I am thinking I will allow nextflix for the week just because it will keep me firmly planted on the couch with my foot up, but I havent committed to that because I have been doing so good, no watching at all.

The scale continues its downward trend. YAY!!!! In fact its under my goal trend line for the challenge, though I bet that will change following the low deficit this week. Speaking of which....

Deficit 2 days this week, and think today as well, though I havent recorded my Chipotle dinner yet. YUM Chipotle, who can resist Chipotle? 

chipotle-burrito.jpg

no seriously, I had like a 600 calorie deficit BEFORE soccer, Chipotle seemed totally within reason....

Current Challenge

Who eats half a Chipotle burrito?? That would take some willpower. Glad to her this are going ok this week.

Lol I don't know anyone who eats half a burrito.

Okay week 2 summary

Deficit for the week: -2502, not fantastic, but still good. Overall for the challenge I am still at an average of -3500ish so I am happy, but will step up my game this week.

Walking, didnt do great at rest but didn't actively try to walk either

Yoga offically 2 days but did short stretches the rest of the week

Netflix I made it all week without watching by myself! Though we made up for that this weekend. Husband was sick and my ankles kept me firmly grounded to the couch so we may have watched the entire 7th season of DS9. I am little bumed we are done with the show. But just means we need to start another one!

This week...is my offical rest week. There is no soccer so hopefully my ankles will recover. Oh yeah I guess thats news, my left ankle has joined my right in torturing me with tendonitis. On the bright side, the right feels a little better so the rest is kinda working.

I will also be taking on my own mini challenge this week, soda free week! My soda consumption has been going a little out of control the last few weeks, I have made it fit in my plan for the day, but I know I would be better replacing the soda with something else.

Yoga: I will be doing the NF flexibility challenge they are doing as a build up to the start of their yoga series.I am very much looking forward to trying that out. All of the emails have said they made it friendly to all levela of flexibility so hopefully that means I wont be frustrated by routines that are too difficult for my inflexible body.

Current Challenge

Yay for loose clothing! And going soda-free is a super awesome goal. The obvious best option would be to replace the soda with water, but if you still need that caffine kick, an extra cup of coffee or some good black tea are great low-cal options. Also, awesome success on not Netflixing solo.

Keep up the great work! Hope your ankles start feeling better soon (yay for rest-week). Remember, treat your ankles with RICEN - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation, & Narcotics.

:-)

• Like 1

Level 14 -- Yeti Ranger -- STR 30.25 | DEX 12.00 | STA 21.00 | CON 14.75 | WIS 18.00 | CHA 7.50

Current Challenge -- Previous Challenges -- My Epic Quest -- Album of Holding -- About Me

I am thinking I will allow nextflix for the week just because it will keep me firmly planted on the couch with my foot up, but I havent committed to that because I have been doing so good, no watching at all.

So I don't know if its my imagination, but my clothes seem a little loose today! I shall refrain from measuring myself but I am super excited by the idea that progress may be happening.

My Mini-Win sensors are telling me something ;)

Sorry to hear it's both of your ankles now. How did your rest-week go? Did you find a good alternative for the soda? Did you find another show to watch and/or book to read? How are you doooiiing??? :D

My Mini-Win sensors are telling me something ;)

Sorry to hear it's both of your ankles now. How did your rest-week go? Did you find a good alternative for the soda? Did you find another show to watch and/or book to read? How are you doooiiing??? :D

Yay for loose clothing! And going soda-free is a super awesome goal. The obvious best option would be to replace the soda with water, but if you still need that caffine kick, an extra cup of coffee or some good black tea are great low-cal options. Also, awesome success on not Netflixing solo.

Keep up the great work! Hope your ankles start feeling better soon (yay for rest-week). Remember, treat your ankles with RICEN - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation, & Narcotics.

:-)

All clothing looseness counts, imaginary otherwise

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. This week did not end going quite as planned. I did get some rest in, which was good, but then I had a couple big walking days too. On the bring side the ankles don't hurt quite as much, swelling is finally going down and range of motion is returning. They were still talking to me on the few days I walked a lot, and if I stand for very long they really have something to say. lol that made grocery shopping interesting last weekend. I was over standing about the second I made it in the store. I ran through the store half blinded by the pain which means I ended up doing about 3 laps of the store before I had "everything", got home and several major things were missing from my list. I just laughed when my husband started asking about where those things were. 

Other than that....I seemed to have jinxed myself with the no soda thing, lol it turned into a sodaful week. Mostly because I ended up going on a spur of the moment road trip for work, and road trip for me = soda drinking time. I really wasn't in the best frame of mind for battling those demons by mid week either because my body(or scale) decided to test me emotionally and shoot up to around my challenge starting weight AND NOT BUDGE all week. Seriously, I can handle like one or two days in a row where the weight is higher than expected, because it has always come right back down to where I think it should be. But I was not very happy when the scale told me the same thing for the 5th day in a row. Clearly Im an emotional eater so....where is my comfort soda???? I joke, sort of. Deficit, not fantastic, but really only went nuts on Friday so I should still be trucking along. 

The exciting thing this week is that I did the NF yoga flexibility benchmark challenge. I asked my husband to help me measure and he ended up wanting to see how he compared so it was fun. I learned I have a major imbalance between right and left shoulder flexibility, which stunned my husband, and amuses me. My husband just stood there yanking on my wrist confused as heck as to why I couldnt bring it any higher behind my back. Sometimes his Vulcan-like logic proves to be a great source of entertainment when things are just illogical. Anyways, I am looking forward to trying out the program when they release it next week and see if that makes any difference for me. I really like how encouraging their challenge was, even if I found the idea of attempting the splits hilarious.  

I successfully went another work week without Netflixing. YAY! I haven't resorted to anything on that original list I made. Partly because they all involve lots of walking and standing, and partly because I have been distracted by trying to keep my squash plants alive, finalize plans for our basement remodel, and prepare the invites for a friend's sister's wedding.  Still haven't conquered no netflix weekends, but I havent had as many days to try that out.  

Okay I am off to finalize the basement plan and start making a project plan, because I am a nerd...

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Aw, sorry to hear your ankles are giving you so much trouble. But it seems like you manage to not beat yourself up over it. If your body needs time (and soda) to heal, don't push it.

I still have to do the yoga flexibility challenge, I was going to wait until I could do it all in one sitting (or standing or bending or whatever) but I didn't check to see whether I already have all the instructions... I'll get to it this weekend. I hear you on the shoulder-flexibility-imbalances though... I can touch my fingertips behind my back when the right arm is on top, but the other way round... no chance.

Yay for less netflix and living squash plants. Basement planning sounds like fun (I have a weird obsession with interior design/architecture/planning/just imagining what a future house could look like).

I noticed the same thing with the shoulder flexibility recently too! I was trying to do cow face pose and I noticed that I could hold my hands behind my back with my right elbow up, but with my right elbow down, I couldn't even touch fingers and my right shoulder would hurt a little. I just kept doing cow face regularly and trying to reach just a little further each time and eventually, I got it. It's really weird that this happens though (and good to know I'm not the only one).

It's too bad that your ankles are still giving you trouble and that pop got in the way of plans. It sounds like your ankles are improving though, so next week, you'll be able to do better. :)

Level 9 Amazon Druid
STR : 17 | DEX : 23 | STA : 22 | CON : 23 | WIS : 21 | CHA : 15
Challenges: Current, 8, 7.1, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3.1, 3, 2, 1
Battle Log

Hello week 4! Who is ready to rock the downhill stretch of this challenge? I know I am!

Last week was definitely a struggle for me all around. Acording to my tracking sheet it wasnt as bad as I thought, but I feel like I am forgetting about half the food I ate this weekend, so im just going to star the resulta as not completly accurate. This week I am going to try to keep my head in the game and not let my emotions get the better of me. We have round 1 of play offs for soccer this week. We are a long shot to win but still should be a fun game as the team ia finally starting to jive.

My ankles have enjoyed their rest. The swelling has all but disappeared and i think im ready to progress in the rehab process with 50% of my walking goal and some exercises to strengthen them. Yay! I just hope I dont undo all of it with soccer later this week.

I have to redo my flexibility benchmarks becuase my computer decided not to save anything. Grrr I shall now resort to the old fashioned pen and paper as electronics have failed me. I am looking forward to joing nf yoga assuming the price tag isnt outrageous. As for the shoulder flexibility, it is a good slap in the face to get my act together. For like all of my life I have dealt with uber tight muscles in my lower body, years and year of physocal therapy with little to show for it. Through all of this my shoulder flexibility always was very good. Holding my wrists in cow face was always super easy. Then one day near the end of college I just woke up and couldn't do it anymore. More like I noticed I couldnt zip my dress by myself one morning. So I know this is something I should be able to do, unlike the toe touching which I have never been able to do, I was able to do this for years and now my desk job has made it impossible. It is time to change that.

Anyways cheers to the downhill stretch for this challenge I hope we all finish strong!

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Find some kind of good healthsome snack :-)

Protein is good.

Sad that the food truck left you uninspired.

My favorite snacks are: Almonds, Cashews, and Dark Chocolate (I just ate half a square of Ghiradelli 72%)

Find some kind of good healthsome snack :-)

Protein is good.

Sad that the food truck left you uninspired.

My favorite snacks are: Almonds, Cashews, and Dark Chocolate (I just ate half a square of Ghiradelli 72%)

Mmm I love the twilight chocolate! I have several bags of the individual squares and have been taking one for lunch to still get that chocolate fix w/o a 220 calorie hersheys bar.I do good on days when I pack my lunch.

MINI WIN time!

Yesterday I staved off the cravings for convenience food after the disappointing lunch. I was about to give in and buy something unhealthy when I found a cliff bar in my purse!

I also won against netflix yesterday. I was hanging out whwn I got home and was waiting for my husband and ipenes netflix, but then closed it without picking somwthing to watch.

Today I am at headquaters which means my head thinks I need a soda despite my body begging to not repeat last week. I walked into the shop, stared at the sodas and walked out with cheese and some beef jerky. Thats a huge win for me! I am determined to hit my -3500 deficir this week, you watch me.

• Like 3

Current Challenge