Scumspawn's second challenge

Don't give up. You're going to unlock the code and start making progress soon. The only way you will fail is if you stop trying.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Don't give up. You're going to unlock the code and start making progress soon. The only way you will fail is if you stop trying.

thank you, I've had a rough day, there have been tears, cheese sandwiches were eaten. I'll be better for a nights sleep

• Like 2
STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 7 | CON 6 |  WIS 9.75 | CHA 10.5
Current challenge | Accountable to chronologically blessed

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016
Quest 1 - Misfit to 800 4 days out of 7

0%
0%
Quest 2 - Mindfulness daily

0%
0%

Quest 3 - Veg with every meal, 2 pints of water a day

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

what a difference a new day makes. I woke up feeling much brighter - at least I have 2 pairs of winter trousers and a dress that fits and a minimal wardrobe is going to make life easier - I spent the day yesterday on the sofa, bingeing on True Blood (I've only one episode left) and crocheting inserts to make a really nice jumper bigger. It worked incredibly well so that is cheering - just need to press it so I can finish it off now.

I've nailed the decluttering challenge. I've clothes sorted for the clothes swap next week and another pile to go to the refugees in Calais.

With the other 2 goals I've topped up my points to half way. I've made some radical changes to my mindset which need rewarding and if I top up to half I can reward myself by leveling up and the maths is easy.

I have my speech ready for the Dr on Monday and I've started marking all my acedemy quests as not achieved, so I can start with a clean slate with the next challenge.

It's saturday and I have the paper and I'm not turning my work computer on. I might plant some spinach and make an apple cake for tomorrow's Sunday Assembly - Tanktimus as a Chaplain, you might find it interesting - Sunday Assembly is non religious - for those of us that believe in nothing but like the community that you get with a church. We have a motto - "Live Better, Help Often and Wonder More". We meet once a month for lectures that are usually science based because we are all nerds and we sing songs. There is cake after so my mission is to bring a paleo cake https://sundayassembly.com

These were my point allocation for 100% so I'll give myself half for quest 1 and 2 and full for the Life Quest. I'll do it now so it's done.

Quest 1: Eating better: CON 2 WIS 1 CHA 2

Quest 2 and 3 - exercise: STR 2 STA 2 DEX 1 WIS 1 CON 1 CHA 1

Life Quest: WIS 2

• Like 1

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Hi there! You sound so positive, I like it! :)

Your challenge has been a success, in my eyes! 

Concerning decluttering, you are my hero. So far, I managed to find a big box, and put it in the hallway. Had to keep my husband from filling it with old newspapers he wanted to take to the recycling yard. "Go find your own box", I told him. lol

You sure that spinach will turn out still, planted this late in the year? 

I like the idea of Sunday Assembly for community feeling. The motto would also be a good one for a challenge! 

By the way, concerning cake: I will make this one for Sunday afternoon: PALEO CHOCOLATE The site is pretty nice if one looks for different paleo recipes that also works for guests or special occasions.

• Like 2

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Hi there! You sound so positive, I like it! :)

Your challenge has been a success, in my eyes! 

Concerning decluttering, you are my hero. So far, I managed to find a big box, and put it in the hallway. Had to keep my husband from filling it with old newspapers he wanted to take to the recycling yard. "Go find your own box", I told him. lol

You sure that spinach will turn out still, planted this late in the year? 

I like the idea of Sunday Assembly for community feeling. The motto would also be a good one for a challenge! 

By the way, concerning cake: I will make this one for Sunday afternoon: PALEO CHOCOLATE The site is pretty nice if one looks for different paleo recipes that also works for guests or special occasions.

I am truly proud of the decluttering, it is a bit of a lifetime mission but it's worth sticking at - are you trying the 5 things a day method? Download one of the freebies from What a World if that helps? There are checklists and it makes it a bit more goal orientated which I like.

I'll grow the spinach under glass, it's a winter one anyway and I'm only expecting to get a little for salad.

That cake looks amazing but someone (ahem) ate all the dark chocolate and I'm not going shopping until Tuesday so it has to be made from what I have, I will drool at the site though, I'm sure it has something I could make there.

I've set up my stats for the next challenge so I know what I'm doing, task now is to not think I have a week off everything and literally lunch it out.

I really appreciate your support - will you have a challenge thread I can follow or shall we keep up in Chronologically Challenged?

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Actually, I will try the five things a day method. Seems feasible for a fulltimer like me. And if I get more done on the weeksends, even better. I need to get a system into the madness, because if it is about cosmetics - I probably don not have to buy anything, I should simply start to use what is already here, hidden in some messy closets and cupboards. Sustainability is the magic word here. But I should also get rid of countless nail polish flasks that have dried out, make-up that changed color...

I just couldn't help giggling: yoou called our meeting point "chronologically challenged" … isn't it "chronologically blessed"? :D

It just put a big smile on my face, thank you for this!

I'm fiddling around with my next challenge still, I might end up at the Druids place for this one. But I will definitely put up a challenge thread, simply because of accountability and because it gives me a feeling of having some kind of a red thread to follow. I would be really happy if you would follow my challenge!

Decluttering and sustainability (= also saves money), learning to find more balance, and reshaping with Yoga, Pilates will be in it. As with many things, I need to put all of this into a six week system/ program that is feasible. I am at the time some sort of mentally haywire workaholic with fulltime job, a long everyday commute, not to forget husband and children… and slowly it is catching up with me, that this is not a way to health and happiness. 

• Like 2

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

I just couldn't help giggling: yoou called our meeting point "chronologically challenged" … isn't it "chronologically blessed"? :D

It just put a big smile on my face, thank you for this!

I'm fiddling around with my next challenge still, I might end up at the Druids place for this one. But I will definitely put up a challenge thread, simply because of accountability and because it gives me a feeling of having some kind of a red thread to follow. I would be really happy if you would follow my challenge!

Decluttering and sustainability (= also saves money), learning to find more balance, and reshaping with Yoga, Pilates will be in it. As with many things, I need to put all of this into a six week system/ program that is feasible. I am at the time some sort of mentally haywire workaholic with fulltime job, a long everyday commute, not to forget husband and children… and slowly it is catching up with me, that this is not a way to health and happiness. 

Oh dear, that will be my mindset coming out :-) I do see aging as a huge challenge not a blessing!

Your challenge sounds great and makes lots of sense. I like the box in the hallway thing because it means I declutter without thinking about it too much. Have you got a bin near where you paint your nails? Because then when you find a dried up nailvarnish you could just bin it - though have you tried thinning them with nail varnish remover and putting them in the fridge? You can get a few extra coats that way.

• Like 1

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Aging is definitely a challenge. My mother says that aging is justice, because it happens to all of us. 

I like the box in the hallway, too. On one hand, one will be reminded every day to put something in there, on the other hand the stuff will be neatly contained until ready to be taken away.

I recently tried a little bit of organizing around in my closet, which has one shelf just for cosmetics. Unfortunately, this is not the only place where I keep cosmetics, since I have loads of stuff, partially still some from the Eighties… *cough* 

Painting my nails happens in the bedroom or sometimes bathroom, but I really don't get around to it so much anymore. Therefore so many dried out ones. Not even diluting with nail varnish remover could save those. Some I kept because of memories with the colors, can't get them anymore since they have been discontinued -- but honestly: why should I keep the dried up stuff? Sometimes I tend to cling to things because they remind of "better times." As if they were keys to the past. Dunno.

• Like 1

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Painting my nails happens in the bedroom or sometimes bathroom, but I really don't get around to it so much anymore. Therefore so many dried out ones. Not even diluting with nail varnish remover could save those. Some I kept because of memories with the colors, can't get them anymore since they have been discontinued -- but honestly: why should I keep the dried up stuff? Sometimes I tend to cling to things because they remind of "better times." As if they were keys to the past. Dunno.

I paint my nails because they break off if I don't. Another lovely aging thing I think - it's not as if I don't eat well!

There was a good blog post about keeping hold of things as memories, if I can find it I'll post it for you, it might not be today though. I think from memory it suggested keeping just one thing as a reminder, rather than lots. I've got rid of almost everything that has a bad memory attached to it, dresses I wore on dates which went badly mostly :-) Kids stuff is the most difficult - my son is waiting to burn all of last years school work right now, we do that yearly but toys and teddies....... oh dear.

• Like 1

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Oh, the brittle nail thing … I know that, too. No handcream has helped so far, and I cannot blame nutrition… I sometimes use argan oil to strengthen the nails: putting a droplet on the nails and massaging it in. Like with all things, it only works as long one sticks with it.

Just digging around in the house, I found a book called "simplify your life" … I bought it years ago, and it is not exactly a good feeling that I oviously still face the same issues as then. Talk about lack of development… But in the next challenge things will get tackled! :)

The book talks about a pyramid: bottom is "simplify your stuff" (as in declutter), next is "Simplify your finances" (as in organizing account, credit cards, bill paying, filing stuff etc), "Simplify your time" (learn to say "no", remove energy leeches, consciously make time for yourself), "Simplify your health" (find time for sports, check eating habits, time to relax), "Simplify your relationships" (networking, dealing with family issues), "Simplify your partnership" (listening skills, communication, decision making, fair fighting), "Simplify yourself" (as in deciding what you want from life, getting rid of the occasional guilt trip etc) and at last "Simplify your spirituality" (find balance, live your beliefs, create a home for your soul).

So one should work up from bottom to top, and I will try to do this. Seems a bit much for one challenge, though.

Burning old school stuff I can halfways relate to. But certain toys and teddies… ouch, no, no way.

• Like 1

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Oh, the brittle nail thing … I know that, too. No handcream has helped so far, and I cannot blame nutrition… I sometimes use argan oil to strengthen the nails: putting a droplet on the nails and massaging it in. Like with all things, it only works as long one sticks with it.

Just digging around in the house, I found a book called "simplify your life" … I bought it years ago, and it is not exactly a good feeling that I oviously still face the same issues as then. Talk about lack of development… But in the next challenge things will get tackled! :)

The book talks about a pyramid: bottom is "simplify your stuff" (as in declutter), next is "Simplify your finances" (as in organizing account, credit cards, bill paying, filing stuff etc), "Simplify your time" (learn to say "no", remove energy leeches, consciously make time for yourself), "Simplify your health" (find time for sports, check eating habits, time to relax), "Simplify your relationships" (networking, dealing with family issues), "Simplify your partnership" (listening skills, communication, decision making, fair fighting), "Simplify yourself" (as in deciding what you want from life, getting rid of the occasional guilt trip etc) and at last "Simplify your spirituality" (find balance, live your beliefs, create a home for your soul).

So one should work up from bottom to top, and I will try to do this. Seems a bit much for one challenge, though.

Burning old school stuff I can halfways relate to. But certain toys and teddies… ouch, no, no way.

That sounds like way too much for one challenge, but one or maybe even two of them would be great, I might just steal that idea from you :-)

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

That sounds like way too much for one challenge, but one or maybe even two of them would be great, I might just steal that idea from you :-)

I will probably make it two challenges. Since I work fulltime, and rarely am home before 6pm, I have to be careful anyway not to overload my schedule. Enthusiasm is always great in the beginning, but it needs to be liveable. My life feels so exhausting already, don't need to make it worse.

Don't worry about stealing the idea, I gladly share with you! :) It feels nice to have goals in common with someone.

• Like 2

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Well done on finishing out! Look forward to seeing what you do in the next challenge.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Hey Scumspawn, we made it! You're Adventuring next round, yeah? I want to keep in challenge-contact :tongue:

yes please, that would be great - I've set up my next challenge in my sig (it's the one called current challenge because I like to be prepared for these things :-)

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Great challenge wrap up!  I'm glad to see that you have such a positive mindset for the next challenge!  You're such an inspiration to keep on track, keep respawning, and stay positive no matter what.  You may not have hit all your goals this challenge but I think you got a lot done - the decluttering goal was a total win, and you made some great strides in eating better, drinking more water, and drinking less alcohol.  Can't wait to join you for the next challenge!

• Like 1

Level 9 Ravenclaw Ranger

STR 16.25 | DEX 12 | STA 18.75 | CON 31.25 | WIS 20.5 | CHA 14.75
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
PREVIOUS CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 CURRENT: 10

Great challenge wrap up! I'm glad to see that you have such a positive mindset for the next challenge! You're such an inspiration to keep on track, keep respawning, and stay positive no matter what. You may not have hit all your goals this challenge but I think you got a lot done - the decluttering goal was a total win, and you made some great strides in eating better, drinking more water, and drinking less alcohol. Can't wait to join you for the next challenge!

Yes - this! I was feeling very down earlier but you have cheered me up and inspired me, Scumspawn!

• Like 1

Great challenge wrap up!  I'm glad to see that you have such a positive mindset for the next challenge!  You're such an inspiration to keep on track, keep respawning, and stay positive no matter what.  You may not have hit all your goals this challenge but I think you got a lot done - the decluttering goal was a total win, and you made some great strides in eating better, drinking more water, and drinking less alcohol.  Can't wait to join you for the next challenge!

Yep, I'm having blood tests in a couple of weeks and I will change my contraceptive pill when I finish this pack so that will be 2 medical things out of the way that might be stopping me from losing weight.

I'm not having a very clean eating week off though, I'm eating what I want :-) Which yesterday, after 3 hours sleep included 3 chocolate biscuits - but it didn't include the other 20 in the cupboard which it might have done a couple of months ago.

I've not done any structured exercise at all but I have been digging up a neighbours garden and walking so I'm keeping moving.

Yes - this! I was feeling very down earlier but you have cheered me up and inspired me, Scumspawn!

Oh, I'm sorry you were down, but very very happy you are feeling better!

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

I like these goal bars!  Couldn't really see them on my iPhone.  When I get my laptop back from #3 son this evening, I'm going to see if I can work out how to set some for my challenge.  

it's not difficult - pm me if you can't find out how to do it

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

I'm not having a very clean eating week off though, I'm eating what I want :-) Which yesterday, after 3 hours sleep included 3 chocolate biscuits - but it didn't include the other 20 in the cupboard which it might have done a couple of months ago.

I've not done any structured exercise at all but I have been digging up a neighbours garden and walking so I'm keeping moving.

Haha I'm not either!  I always go off paleo during the in-between weeks and enjoy all my favorite foods that I can't have during challenges - like pizza and enchiladas.  Keeps me sane!

Level 9 Ravenclaw Ranger

STR 16.25 | DEX 12 | STA 18.75 | CON 31.25 | WIS 20.5 | CHA 14.75
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
PREVIOUS CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 CURRENT: 10