The Chronicles of Rurik: A Survivor Is Born

"A famous explorer once said that the extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are. I'd finally set out to make my mark, to find adventure, but instead adventure found me. In our darkest moments, when life flashes before us, we find something. Something that keeps us going. Something that pushes us.  When all seemed lost, I found a truth... and I knew what I must become."­ ~ Tomb Raider, 2013.

cljxo.jpg

Presenting a new, more fun and dynamic challenge...

My Main Quest is, as always, to bring in an element of adventure and fantasy to the drudgery of everyday life, and through those elements create a more exciting and capable lifestyle that echoes my nerdy interests.  I will become an adventurer, a survivor, a bad-ass.  This challenge represents my best real-world interpretation of what the traditional Ranger archetype would embody in modern times.

Starting weight: 194 lbs.

Maximum pullups: 8 strict.  Goal: 10.

Mission/Goal 1: Who's the Top of the Food Chain Now? (+3 CON)

• Follow the Eat To Perform nutrition model as prescribed, using whole foods as much as possible.
  • Adhere to Control Day protocols on days that I do not workout.

Mission/Goal 2Keep Moving Forward to Survive (+2 STR, +4 DEX)

• Practice double-unders once per week.  Follow The 20 Pull-up Challenge program.
  • Attend two Olympic Weightlifting classes before Challenge end.
  • Attempt a Survival Parkourâ„¢ skill once every two weeks minimum.

Mission/Goal 3: The Road Less Traveled (+3 STA)

• Bicycle rather than drive minimum of two shifts per work set (weather permitting).  Bonus points awarded if whole set biked.
  • Complete one day hike.  Minimum of 5 kilometers.

Life Quest: A Golden Opportunity (+2 WIS, +1 CHA)

• Maintain debt repayment/savings budget.  Put aside $20 per week for Achievement reward.
  • Retain apartment cleaning habits.  One dedicated cleaning day per 8-day work week.
  • Put the 'Nerd' back in 'Nerd Fitness' by beginning one new video game.  In Progress.

Skill Quest 1: Rurik Versus Wild [Wilderness Lore, level 2]

• Adhere to Wilderness Lore level 2 curriculum.
  • Study one bushcraft subject twice weekly as per outline.  Spend minimum of 30 minutes per two weeks engaging in a practicum on this subject.

Skill Quest 2: It All Comes Together When You Speak the Language [Linguistics (French), level 1]

• One thirty minute session of language study per two weeks.
  • Complete three sets of daily Duolingo lessons per week.

[Rise of the Adventurer] Achievement:  Press [X] to open the Treasure Chest... More gear upgrades!  Completing this challenge will award the epic drop Adventure Pantsâ„¢ (http://store.tripleaughtdesign.com/Legionnaire-RS-Pant), a new leg slot upgrade to celebrate a stabilized waist size and embrace my new found sense of adventure and love of the outdoors.

Challenge Motivation: Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Mission Impossible, Bourne Identity, survival, and adventure!  Summer continues and I'm going to be outdoors killin' it.  Might as well try on some new skills to test my mettle going forward.  We humans are adaptable and I want to push the envelope of making myself 'harder to kill' by building a foundation of functional real world skills that are practical, useful, and enjoyable.

For further motivation, I will be beginning to assess myself against the CrossFit Beginner metrics as prescribed by CrossFit Thames: http://crossfitthames.com/Docs/SkillLevels3.pdf.  This will create a real world level of proficiency to measure myself against, and a new standard to aim for in the coming months.

Mission-Impossible.gif

Let's do this!

• Like 11

[ Level ?? ]    Havoc, the Cyberpunk Outrider. 

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Eat To Perform TDEE Macros

• 2937 cals: 190P / 100F / 319C Loading (Workout day)  2560 cals: 190P / 100F / 225C (Workout day)
  • 2560 cals: 190P / 100F / 225C Control (Rest day)  2080 cals: 190P / 80F / 150C (Rest day)

Duolingo Profile

Wilderness Lore, level 2 Curriculum

Survival Parkourâ„¢ Curriculum

• Like 2

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

CrossFit Skill Level Metrics

http://crossfitthames.com/Docs/SkillLevels3.pdf

For the sake of keeping track here, and reminding myself how close I am to either the Beginner or Intermediate levels, I'll mention whichever level I was closest to in brackets after my score.  I'll just keep chipping away at the list, trying to get a couple different exercises checked off during my warmups throughout the challenge.

Rurik's CrossFit Skill Levels Spreadsheet

I went and dug up some old PRs and previous skill levels from my workout journal to flesh this out.  Be warned: some of these metrics might be somewhat dated.

20 July 2015

500m row:  1:46 minutes (1:36 for Intermediate)

1000m row:  3:39 minutes (3:31 for Intermediate)

21 July 2015

HSPU:  5 strict (Intermediate)

Rope climb:  2 complete (3 for Intermediate)

22 July 2015

Front Squat:  185# x3 (237# @ 190lb for Intermediate)

29 July 2015

Clean & Jerk:  205# (210# for Intermediate)

8 August 2015

1-mile Run:  7:35 minutes (6:15 for Intermediate)

800m Run:  3:40 minutes (2:50 for Intermediate)

400m:  1:45 minutes (1:42 for Beginner)

• Like 1

I love ETP, such a great website.

Subbing to watch you become a beastly outdoorsman!!

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

For further motivation, I will be beginning to assess myself against the CrossFit Beginner metrics as prescribed by CrossFit Thames: http://crossfitthames.com/Docs/SkillLevels3.pdf.  This will create a real world level of proficiency to measure myself against, and a new standard to aim for in the coming months.

That's an interesting idea. Got questionmarks on running/rowing and MetCon, but otherwise looks like I could make it through the Beginner level with relative ease. Good stuff for measuring and setting goals, it should also serve as a reminder of things I should work on to progress everything evenly. Bookmarked, thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Man dude, count me in like 100%. This is a really cool challenge and I'm a huge fan of Tomb Raider and Uncharted. Nathan Drake is one of the coolest characters ever!

The wilderness lore is really cool and reminds me of The Witcher a little bit. And sign me up for survival parkour.. This sounds like something I would love and should already be doing! I used to climb trees a a lot but haven't in some time. You might have inspired me to get back in the trees, sir! Plus my 5 yr old loves to climb trees.

Subbing!

Wolf

"Let the Boomstick do the talking."

• Like 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Looks like this is going to be interesting to watch. *Grab's popcorn, sits down*

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I checked off the 500m/1000m rows today for my CrossFit metrics.  I was so bloody close to cracking the Intermediate level that it damn near broke my heart when I checked the time after.  Still a pretty good feeling to know those levels are easily within my grasp with a bit of effort. 

Starting this challenge strong-like!

304438a2affd9ec091adebfc88fc985b.gif

I love ETP, such a great website.

Subbing to watch you become a beastly outdoorsman!!

Their articles are what got me started.  Eventually I caved for a month subscription to get some coaching and have my TDEE macros set up.  The closed Facebook group is quite good too.  Lots of support and daily picture posting.  Flex Friday, Traps Tuesday... quirky stuff like that.  I cancelled my sub after two months because you don't really need to keep shelling out $$ beyond the initial assessment, and even that is debatable with the free calculator floating around.  I've had some excellent PR results on their program so far.

That's an interesting idea. Got questionmarks on running/rowing and MetCon, but otherwise looks like I could make it through the Beginner level with relative ease. Good stuff for measuring and setting goals, it should also serve as a reminder of things I should work on to progress everything evenly. Bookmarked, thanks for sharing!

I'm going to have to remind myself to take the assessments seriously.  It's not just a WOD, I'm trying to accomplish something here, so I'll have to re-channel my CrossFit Open mindset.  Oh, and try to not overdo my warmups so badly that I'm gassed for the rest of the WOD.  Like today.  *whew!*

Man dude, count me in like 100%. This is a really cool challenge and I'm a huge fan of Tomb Raider and Uncharted. Nathan Drake is one of the coolest characters ever!

The wilderness lore is really cool and reminds me of The Witcher a little bit. And sign me up for survival parkour.. This sounds like something I would love and should already be doing! I used to climb trees a a lot but haven't in some time. You might have inspired me to get back in the trees, sir! Plus my 5 yr old loves to climb trees.

Subbing!

Wolf

I'm pretty pumped about this challenge.  I've had it ready to go for a couple of weeks while I've been steadily chipping away at Tomb Raider on PC.  Some days it was all I could do to stay on track with the old challenge out of excitement for this new one.  I'll have to throw up some pictures and stuff of my little adventures.  Stay tuned!

Looks like this is going to be interesting to watch. *Grab's popcorn, sits down*

Is that theater popcorn ya gots there, hmmm?  Gonna share?  I loves me some theater popcorn!

• Like 3

I checked off the 500m/1000m rows today for my CrossFit metrics.  I was so bloody close to cracking the Intermediate level that it damn near broke my heart when I checked the time after.  Still a pretty good feeling to know those levels are easily within my grasp with a bit of effort. 

Starting this challenge strong-like!

Congratulations on the strong start! Gives me an idea, since my calves are still aching today: if they don't get better by warmup, I might skip the WOD (especially if it has stuff like box jumps to kill my calves) and try to catch up on some of the Beginner exercises.

3287051e91016e7bffe927dbff594e39.jpg

• Like 1

SUBBING BECAUSE AWESOME!  

Ok, I personally am super excited about this Wilderness Survival thing you got going on - years of city-dwelling have dulled my skills, and so I am going to cheer you on vicariously!  

Also, where is this Wilderness Lore curriculum coming from?  I may have to investigate...

• Like 2

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

Congratulations on the strong start! Gives me an idea, since my calves are still aching today: if they don't get better by warmup, I might skip the WOD (especially if it has stuff like box jumps to kill my calves) and try to catch up on some of the Beginner exercises.

3287051e91016e7bffe927dbff594e39.jpg

61087407.jpg

I went full Leeroy Jenkins on the tire-flipping WOD today.

Also, where is this Wilderness Lore curriculum coming from?  I may have to investigate...

Wilderness lore?!?!?  I wanna know more! 

Mostly of my own devising, inspired by several .pdf files and online courses.  Basically I've cannibalized other people's curricula and thrown my own together from the wreckage.  The biggest inspiration probably comes from a Boy Scout-like organization called Adventurers and have drawn heavily from their online 'Woodstravel Module.'  Otherwise I'm making this up as I go along.  I posted the original outline for last challenge here: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/65745-enduring-the-flame-ruriks-saga-iii/?p=1513128 and the one for this challenge here: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/68595-the-chronicles-of-rurik-into-the-wilderness/?p=1564115

Thank you all for the support and follows!  It's great to see such an outpouring of encouragement to continue with these zany, over the top challenges I come up with for myself.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

We humans are adaptable and I want to push the envelope of making myself 'harder to kill' by building a foundation of functional real world skills that are practical, useful, and enjoyable.

This. If I read this and nothing else I would be following your thread for the sheer awesomeness. Being 'harder to kill' has to be one of the best goal motivations I have ever heard and I may need to borrow it. I wont fight you to the death for it of course, as it seems you are already harder to kill.

Subbed!

• Like 2

Level: 3 - Wood Elf - Wanderer

STR: 0 | DEX: 5 | STA: 11 | CON: 5 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 2

Challenges: 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | Current

"Quit...don't quit...noodles...don't noodles. You are too concerned with what was, and what will be"

- Master Oogway

Mostly of my own devising, inspired by several .pdf files and online courses.  Basically I've cannibalized other people's curricula and thrown my own together from the wreckage.  The biggest inspiration probably comes from a Boy Scout-like organization called Adventurers and have drawn heavily from their online 'Woodstravel Module.'  Otherwise I'm making this up as I go along.  I posted the original outline for last challenge here: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/65745-enduring-the-flame-ruriks-saga-iii/?p=1513128 and the one for this challenge here: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/68595-the-chronicles-of-rurik-into-the-wilderness/?p=1564115

Thank you all for the support and follows!  It's great to see such an outpouring of encouragement to continue with these zany, over the top challenges I come up with for myself.

Loved the LOTR LJ mashup. And I must say, taking a bunch of wildernessy trainings and mashing them up together, that's very meta.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

This challenge looks great, and I can't wait to see how you handle all of the parkour skills!  You might want to consider adding some sort of wall climb and top out to your survival parkour list, assuming you have a suitable place to practice it.  

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

This. If I read this and nothing else I would be following your thread for the sheer awesomeness. Being 'harder to kill' has to be one of the best goal motivations I have ever heard and I may need to borrow it. I wont fight you to the death for it of course, as it seems you are already harder to kill.

Subbed!

Glad to have you along.  I can't remember quite where I came up with the 'harder to kill' philosophy, but it has definitely stuck and defines a lot of what I do these days!

Loved the LOTR LJ mashup. And I must say, taking a bunch of wildernessy trainings and mashing them up together, that's very meta.

I had to look up what "that's very meta" means.  I feel like my idiom game isn't keeping up with the times...

This challenge looks great, and I can't wait to see how you handle all of the parkour skills!  You might want to consider adding some sort of wall climb and top out to your survival parkour list, assuming you have a suitable place to practice it.  

I'm struggling with the logistics of the situation.  I don't have much to work with locally, although there is one rock climbing wall at a local restaurant.  But I imagine you have to cough up some cash per usage.  Otherwise I plan on scaling wheelchair ramps and low walls at speed, for the most part.  Might run the skateboard park as an obstacle course.

Any other ideas and suggestions for a newbie traceur?

I'm struggling with the logistics of the situation.  I don't have much to work with locally, although there is one rock climbing wall at a local restaurant.  But I imagine you have to cough up some cash per usage.  Otherwise I plan on scaling wheelchair ramps and low walls at speed, for the most part.  Might run the skateboard park as an obstacle course.

Any other ideas and suggestions for a newbie traceur?

While rock climbing is totally awesome, I was thinking of something more like this.  It's a pretty fundamental parkour move, and being able to get over walls is always a good survival skill.  It can be tricky to find decent things to climb, though.  

• Like 2

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Looks like an awesome challenge. Just curious, is the Survival Parkour a specific program you pulled from somewhere, or something you have created yourself? As a parkour novice, I'm just wondering how this might be different to - for lack of a better term - "regular" parkour.

• Like 1

Daryl of Barbaria - Rebel

Well, we're in it now. The s**t's hit the fan.

At some point I intend to learn some parkour for the same reason, how not to die. I'm not too interested in all the fancy flips and didos but I do want to be able to run in a straight line over and through crap like the rooftop chase scene in the Bourne Ultimatum (or was it supremacy?).

• Like 2