The Chronicles of Rurik: A Survivor Is Born

I mentioned earlier that this week is CrossFit Games week at the gym, so we're rehashing a handful of the workouts from the Games this past weekend.

Today is "Murph," and I'm not looking forward to it one bit.  It's downright terrifying.

But I told myself I wasn't going to cherry-pick my WODs anymore, and I'm already signed up for the 4:30pm class (had to change from the noon so I could run out to the rental property to meet the plumber this morning)... and you all think I'm some kind of unstoppable bad-ass who doesn't quit.

Well that might not be entirely true, but that's what I'm telling myself.

I+_e1a1b1e1b59e71aa68405709a8f4199f.jpg

That's not actually a terrible idea at all.  I'll have to look into it.  At this point I just want to move up to finishing more than one race per year.  I think I've caught an addiction... maybe it was something in the mud?

Hmph.

You're damn right you're an unstoppable badass. Are you not the man who inspired the term badrangerassery?

• Like 4

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Six pages by day two of the challenge?  Wow... I am continually humbled by all of your shared enthusiasm.  Each and every one of you is my daily motivation!

A Survivor is Born: Day 2

Today marks my third day at lowered calorie and macro intake, second day meeting exact macro requirements (so far), and I'm not noticing a huge difference.  Recovery doesn't seem to be affected too much, although considering how exhausted and beat up I feel only two afters after completing "Murph," the reality of this situation remains to be seen. I broke the reps up into 5 pullups (3 and then 2), 10 pushups (4, 3, 3), and 15 squats unbroken.  I think the pushups were the biggest struggle; there were more than a few rounds where that fourth pushup felt like it would be the death of me.  By round 12 (of 20) I was in La-La Land (population: Rurik) and barely knew where I was anymore... all that mattered was getting through the squats so I could take a 10 second breather.

The final 1-mile run might be the most terrible thing I have ever experienced though.  It's a bloody good thing "Murph" is a hero WOD... otherwise it would be cruel and unusual punishment.  Glad I wore my Spartan finisher shirt for the added motivation... and moisture wicking properties!  I was hurting pretty bad after so I treated myself to a small Booster Juice, and the girlfriend was in a bad mood from work so we settled on Qdoba's 'naked' burritos for dinner.  Grilled chicken on brown rice with black beans, extra tomato and corn salsas, lots of lettuce.  Between the smoothie and dinner, no treat has ever tasted so wonderful (except the croissant donut I had after the CrossFit Open wrap-up, maybe).

I hopped into Assassin's Creed III last night because I wanted to play around with the wilderness and archery aspects of the game, but it turned out to be mega dull.  So I'm settling for watching the game as a movie on Youtube, and... turns out the story is a bit dull too.  Back to hunting tombs and relics in Tomb Raider, I think.  Picking up Uncharted might be necessary sooner rather than later.  I think one of the Rambo movies (the original archer-survivalist hero) might be on the agenda for tonight.

tumblr_nrn3s0gEfQ1rdsiguo1_500.gif

You're damn right you're an unstoppable badass. Are you not the man who inspired the term badrangerassery?

Fine, fine.  You win!

• Like 8

[Level ??] Half-orc Witcher (Blood Hunter/Ranger)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Hunter's padded armor & longcoat, Novigrad longsword & flintlock, Adventurer's pack & alchemy kit.

Total experience earned to date:  0 / 5000 XP

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Six pages by day two of the challenge?  Wow... I am continually humbled by all of your shared enthusiasm.  Each and every one of you is my daily motivation!

A Survivor is Born: Day 2

Today marks my third day at lowered calorie and macro intake, second day meeting exact macro requirements (so far), and I'm not noticing a huge difference.  Recovery doesn't seem to be affected too much, although considering how exhausted and beat up I feel only two afters after completing "Murph," the reality of this situation remains to be seen. I broke the reps up into 5 pullups (3 and then 2), 10 pushups (4, 3, 3), and 15 squats unbroken.  I think the pushups were the biggest struggle; there were more than a few rounds where that fourth pushup felt like it would be the death of me.  By round 12 (of 20) I was in La-La Land (population: Rurik) and barely knew where I was anymore... all that mattered was getting through the squats so I could take a 10 second breather.

The final 1-mile run might be the most terrible thing I have ever experienced though.  It's a bloody good thing "Murph" is a hero WOD... otherwise it would be cruel and unusual punishment.  Glad I wore my Spartan finisher shirt for the added motivation... and moisture wicking properties!  I was hurting pretty bad after so I treated myself to a small Booster Juice, and the girlfriend was in a bad mood from work so we settled on Qdoba's 'naked' burritos for dinner.  Grilled chicken on brown rice with black beans, extra tomato and corn salsas, lots of lettuce.  Between the smoothie and dinner, no treat has ever tasted so wonderful (except the croissant donut I had after the CrossFit Open wrap-up, maybe).

I hopped into Assassin's Creed III last night because I wanted to play around with the wilderness and archery aspects of the game, but it turned out to be mega dull.  So I'm settling for watching the game as a movie on Youtube, and... turns out the story is a bit dull too.  Back to hunting tombs and relics in Tomb Raider, I think.  Picking up Uncharted might be necessary sooner rather than later.  I think one of the Rambo movies (the original archer-survivalist hero) might be on the agenda for tonight.

tumblr_nrn3s0gEfQ1rdsiguo1_500.gif

Fine, fine.  You win!

Awesome job! And great healthy dinner, too!

• Like 1

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

Go get on some Nathan Drake, bro! A Rambo game with today's graphics would be hella cool!! We should write to Naughty Dog or Crystal Dynamics Studio and convince them to make that game!

giphy.gif

Way to rock n roll and it only be Day 2, brotha!

Wolf

"Let the Boomstick do the talking."

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Class: Vigilante/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 178#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Gotham Project Pt. 2

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

I smiled the whole time I read your post. It's so cool you got through that insane WOD. It's too bad ACIII didn't work out for you.

It's great to hear that I can bring a smile to the face of even the most positive of Rebels, Tank!  And I'll manage with ACIII.  There are plenty of other games to wrap my claws around... I hear Uncharted calling my name, and it ought to be cheap enough these days than I can trade some classics in on it to save me the funds.

I love how reading through threads that even 'treats' start getting healthier and healthier. 

You rocked it dude, keep on it!

That's something I've noticed lately too.  I don't often crave the garbage I used to... now I seem to look for ways to answer my cravings while accomplishing my goals.  Case in point: need to refuel post-workout and replenish glycogen... also want candy.  Therefore: Booster Juice!

Awesome job! And great healthy dinner, too!

And delightfully flavorful and filling.  Made for an excellent "tv dinner" while I sat down to Rambo: First Blood II and all of the Ranger-like shenanigans contained therein!

Equipment: Hunter's padded armor & longcoat, Novigrad longsword & flintlock, Adventurer's pack & alchemy kit.

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

I REALLY like the Thames crossfit metrics, what a cool find. I am pre-beginner in sooo many skills, but I'll get there! Pullup is top of the list for now. I like the whole "bringing a sense of adventure to life" idea, I tend to do big crazy trips that are outdoorsy and fun, but not so much in the day to day. Something to work on!

• Like 1

My first challenge!     My tracking sheet  

Goal 1: Work out 3x per week (18 workouts)

17%
17%

Goal 2: Track Food every day (42 days)

7%
7%

Goal 3: Prepare Food at home (108 meals)

9%
9%

Go get on some Nathan Drake, bro! A Rambo game with today's graphics would be hella cool!! We should write to Naughty Dog or Crystal Dynamics Studio and convince them to make that game!

giphy.gif

Way to rock n roll and it only be Day 2, brotha!

I think that's the plan.  I might go check out the gaming store tomorrow... but I need to commit some time to working on my Tomb Raider article first.  Work before play, even when the work is based off play, right?

There was rumors a couple of days ago about a new Rambo movie from Stallone.  The new enemy?  Fighting ISIS.

That workout sounds brutal. You're definitely a badrangerass.

Awe, shucks!

tumblr_lqpzs5bOnH1qfiszl.gif

This just might be the greatest meme I have ever seen.

Normally my Meme-Fu is quite strong... but I'm seriously failing to top that one tonight.  I'll try again tomorrow! :pirate:

• Like 1

Coach must have taken pity on us after "DT" and "Murph" these past two days.  Tomorrow's WOD is "only" an Oly workout of working up to a 1RM Clean & Jerk.

Ahhh, strength training.  You delicious muse!

I REALLY like the Thames crossfit metrics, what a cool find. I am pre-beginner in sooo many skills, but I'll get there! Pullup is top of the list for now. I like the whole "bringing a sense of adventure to life" idea, I tend to do big crazy trips that are outdoorsy and fun, but not so much in the day to day. Something to work on!

Somehow you managed to sneak in between my reply posts!

That CF Thames metrics file has been a huge help in evaluating where my skill levels are at.  I've got most of them hammered out, a few yet to go, but now I have a clear idea of what I need to be working on (other than stupid double unders!!)

If adventure is the destination, shouldn't the journey to it... be an adventure unto itself?

• Like 3

I think that's the plan. I might go check out the gaming store tomorrow... but I need to commit some time to working on my Tomb Raider article first. Work before play, even when the work is based off play, right?

There was rumors a couple of days ago about a new Rambo movie from Stallone. The new enemy? Fighting ISIS.

Unfortunately it does have to be some work first and then play all day haha. I always tell myself I gotta knock out 5 accounts at my job before I can post anywhere on the forums [emoji106]ðŸ»[emoji106]ðŸ»!

I've heard about a new Rambo movie! Fighting ISIS, huh, that makes sense and would make for a cool ass movie. I thought the last one, I guess it's just called Rambo was really good. That machete knife he had was sick! But think about a game- that would such a great game to play. Tons of missions in the jungle, upgrading your stealth, knife and bow skills. Save the day. My kinda game!! I wanna go back and watch the Rambo movies now!!

How's the article coming along?

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Spoiler

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

If adventure is the destination, shouldn't the journey to it... be an adventure unto itself?

It's like the Zeno's paradox as applied to adventures!  Ever-diminishing divisions of adventureness...

I'm just waiting for the inevitable "Rambo versus Predator" reboot.  That will be a day of glory.

• Like 2

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

I'm just gonna leave this here...

I mean, it's Assassin's Creed mechanics, but set in Middle Earth. Where you play as a Ranger.

Shadow of Mordor was the absolute shit! Had so much fun with that game. It'll definitely make you proud to be a Ranger, that's for sure. The executions are mouth watering and make for hours and hours of fun! It did get Game of the Year too... So that's saying something. God Bless you Tolkein for bringing forth a world full of badassrangeryness and other swanky things!

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Spoiler

Well I'm in for the encouragement of watching somebody else be a bad ass/good example. I like the goals, and can relate to needing to practice double unders. My PR is 1. Haha.

Based on the feedback so far, it sounds like you should make a Survival Parkourâ„¢ class. I know I'd be down.

The worst deadlines are the ones we set for ourselves!

I like deadlines. I love the whoosh-ing noise they make as they fly by.

• Like 1

Level 3 Ranger

STR: 6 | DEX: 3 | STA: 9 | CON: 4 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 5

Current Challenge

the-gay-beards-3.jpg

FUTURE CHALLENGE GOALS, YEA?????

• Like 5

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 56 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

I'm just gonna leave this here...

I mean, it's Assassin's Creed mechanics, but set in Middle Earth. Where you play as a Ranger.

Shadow of Mordor was the absolute shit! Had so much fun with that game. It'll definitely make you proud to be a Ranger, that's for sure. The executions are mouth watering and make for hours and hours of fun! It did get Game of the Year too... So that's saying something. God Bless you Tolkein for bringing forth a world full of badassrangeryness and other swanky things!

I had dismissed Shadow of Mordor but now that I know how you guys feel about it... I may have to reconsider my position on the subject.

Strangely I just finished reading through an article the other day about how Shadow of Mordor mirrors the Global War on Terror.  Basically talks about how the protagonist is an analogue for Special Operations forces and you're embarking on an anti-terror campaign using similar strategies (hearts and minds, using local warlords, guerrilla tactics, etc) to those used in Afghanistan.  The author also commented on how far the game differed from Tolkien's vision of the world coming out of World War I. 

Here's the link if you're interested: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/criticalintel/12572-The-War-on-Terror-Comes-to-Middle-earth-in-Shadow-of-Mordor

Unfortunately it does have to be some work first and then play all day haha. I always tell myself I gotta knock out 5 accounts at my job before I can post anywhere on the forums [emoji106][emoji106]!

I've heard about a new Rambo movie! Fighting ISIS, huh, that makes sense and would make for a cool ass movie. I thought the last one, I guess it's just called Rambo was really good. That machete knife he had was sick! But think about a game- that would such a great game to play. Tons of missions in the jungle, upgrading your stealth, knife and bow skills. Save the day. My kinda game!! I wanna go back and watch the Rambo movies now!!

How's the article coming along?

I ended up watching Rambo: First Blood Part 2 last night and it was every bit as awesome as I remember it being.  3 was kind of crappy so I might sit down for Rambo (the newest one) tonight.  That does sound like a deadly-cool game, when you put it that way.  I might have to go spend the afternoon or evening outdoors tomorrow.  Make a fire.  Read a book.  Something outdoorsy like that.

The article is going well so far.  Should be able to submit part one for editing this week sometime.  I think I'm going to split it into two entries with the first briefly discussing my background and why I'm qualified to speak on the subject before giving way to the meat of the first article talking about ways to inject a measure of gamer adventure into your life (camping, hiking, where to go, microadventures, travel, etc).  Basically making such things more approachable for the average Joe/Jill and then relating it back to Tomb Raider.   For part two the meat and bones will be the practical aspect (fitness, parkour, adventure racing) and practical survivor skills, again related back to the game itself.  Throw in a conclusion to wrap it all up and I should be good.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable "Rambo versus Predator" reboot.  That will be a day of glory.

Just rewatched Predators AND Rambo... that might be the coolest movie concept of all time.  I hope you're right about the inevitable part though!

• Like 3

Too many replies!  I have to break all of my responses up to get through them all...

#firstworldproblems

Well I'm in for the encouragement of watching somebody else be a bad ass/good example. I like the goals, and can relate to needing to practice double unders. My PR is 1. Haha.

Based on the feedback so far, it sounds like you should make a Survival Parkourâ„¢ class. I know I'd be down.

I managed two double-unders linked together last week.  Haven't been able to repeat the occurrence though!

Survival Parkourâ„¢ is definitely catching on.  Now that Wolfenstein started the trend with his video, I'm going to have to keep them rolling and inspire others to get outside and climbing stuff.

the-gay-beards-3.jpg

FUTURE CHALLENGE GOALS, YEA?????

Didn't anyone tell you that my favorite holiday is Christmas?

rC9At.jpg

07acc3fb8c70db1a4aecd4c31c224d76.jpg

• Like 7

Whether or not you read the article I posted, the main item to take away is covered straight away in the introductory paragraph...

While it plays well and has interesting mechanics, Shadow of Mordor falls flat thematically because it transplants a War on Terror mentality to a fantasy world inspired by World War I. As a result, Tolkien's ideas fall victim to post-millennial cynicism and the game, while enjoyable, feels utterly wrong.

I think I'll still give it a try though.  Strangely I find myself balancing a love for classic Tolkien against the interests of an ex-military fellow who grew up and served during the post-9/11 world, so the cross-over of ideologies there is actually quite intriguing to me.

giphy.gif

Okay, I sooo want to be able to do that stuff...

In other news I waltzed into the box today and PR'd my Clean & Jerk with ease.  Had I known I was only 5# off the Intermediate level, I might have pushed for 215# instead of shutting it down.

Judging by how much my strength has improved in seven months and how my cardio is largely my limiting factor, I can see a lot of potential to be moving heavy weight in the next six months and yet needing to put some serious effort into improving my conditioning.  It didn't help that I was still bloody sore from "Murph" today though.

29 July 2015

Clean & Jerk:  205# (210# for Intermediate)

Technically that's enough for a Front Squat PR too, but for all intents and purposes I'm going to keep similar movements separate to spread out the work.

Definitely gonna ride that high for a couple of days though...

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Whether or not you read the article I posted, the main item to take away is covered straight away in the introductory paragraph...

While it plays well and has interesting mechanics, Shadow of Mordor falls flat thematically because it transplants a War on Terror mentality to a fantasy world inspired by World War I. As a result, Tolkien's ideas fall victim to post-millennial cynicism and the game, while enjoyable, feels utterly wrong.

I think I'll still give it a try though.  Strangely I find myself balancing a love for classic Tolkien against the interests of an ex-military fellow who grew up and served during the post-9/11 world, so the cross-over of ideologies there is actually quite intriguing to me.

giphy.gif

Okay, I sooo want to be able to do that stuff...

In other news I waltzed into the box today and PR'd my Clean & Jerk with ease.  Had I known I was only 5# off the Intermediate level, I might have pushed for 215# instead of shutting it down.

Judging by how much my strength has improved in seven months and how my cardio is largely my limiting factor, I can see a lot of potential to be moving heavy weight in the next six months and yet needing to put some serious effort into improving my conditioning.  It didn't help that I was still bloody sore from "Murph" today though.

Technically that's enough for a Front Squat PR too, but for all intents and purposes I'm going to keep similar movements separate to spread out the work.

Definitely gonna ride that high for a couple of days though...

Well done getting in a PR while sore. The conditioning will come at time. One of the pains of being a ranger is that while we work on everything, not everything improves at the same time. You got this Mr. Ambassador. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I have that same issue with my cardio improvement not keeping up with my strength gains. Trying to figure out a solution (that doesn't involve jogging)

• Like 2

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

I have that same issue with my cardio improvement not keeping up with my strength gains. Trying to figure out a solution (that doesn't involve jogging)

I hate to admit it because admitting it means more work, but... I'll just have to push my cardio that much harder during WODs.  Le sigh!

giphy.gif

• Like 3