• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Don't Overthink It
Nerd Fitness Challenge #42

Main Quest:  to relax

This challenge is in the midst of a super busy time for me.  I was going to skip it because I only have so much time but then I thought "don't overthink it.  just relax."  And it got me thinking (but not overthinking!) that in order for me to really focus on my responsibilites I need to make time to relax.

Mini Quest 1:  reflect  
2x daily meditation.  +2 STA, +3 WIS
2-5 minutes per session - calm.com.  

Mini Quest 2:  reach
1x weekly yoga.  +2 STR +2 DEX 
7:30pm Thursday yoga at xfit amped or one of the yoga workouts from darebee.

Mini Quest 3:  record
log food in journal instead of MFP.  +3 CON
MFP has been stressing me out so I'm going to log my meals old school style in my journal.

Life Side Quest:   routine

add leave-on fluoride toothpaste to bedtime routine +3 CHA

time for a new bedtime routine!  face, floss, and now fluoride...

• Like 2

Two weeks away from Stadium Unleashed!  

Even though the challenge doesn't officially start until Monday, Unleashed happens August 2nd so it'll be something I'll be talking about.  

• Like 2

Awesome. I need to journal my challenges too. It will make them a lot more interesting. I'm thrilled we're both doing Yoga this challenge.

Welcome to the Assassins!  I'll watch your thread for your yoga progress.  I'm fairly new to yoga so all tips welcome - especially yoga at home tips.  I try to take the yoga class at my gym but it's only thursday at 7:30pm so unlike my xfit class where there are more choices, with the yoga - if I miss it, I'll have to do something at home (unless I want to join a yoga gym.  which I don't).  Thanks for checking in!

42726_nn6ejw_orig.jpg

Stadium High School (Tacoma WA).  Unleashed 2015 takes place next Sunday - 1628 steps to raise money for rescue animals.

Did my final practice today.  It was a little overcast, cooler.  That helped I think.  Shaved 3 minutes off my time (17 minutes start to finish).  I've settled on a strategy - walk up, jog down (jog in between sets).  Ideally you would jog UP and walk down but I lose so much steam jogging up.  Who knows what will happen on event day, I may get caught up in the crowd and do all sorts of things.  it'll be fine, no matter.  I know I can finish.  

This time last year I weighed 150 pounds and I sat at the sponsor table during the event.  I didn't climb a single step to enter or exit the stadium - I road in the truck with my mom on the handicap access road!  Now I'm around 120 pounds and I'm managing the event goal of completing 1628 steps in about 20 minutes.  Pretty cool, huh?

Off to a rocky start but that's okay - i knew I was going to be busy.  Worked so late last night that I neglected my second meditation and blew off my whole bedtime routine!  I made one of my little habit cards just now and set my stuff out so I don't forget tonight that I'm adding the yummy (not yummy really) fluoride gel stuff to my routine.

WP_20150728_002.jpg

not sure how I'm going to remember to meditate.  I am using calm.com so maybe a simple post it note on my computer - and maybe my phone too - would do the trick? 

the key is NOT to stress about it.  I'm a little anxious about the free style journaling of the food since I've been logging onto the MFP for so long and now it's just words but no numbers.  we'll see how it plays out on the scale next week...

​now I'm off to check to see if there is a mini challenge posted!!!

Wahoo!!  The Assassins mini challenge (Starship Nerdiprise) has posted!  
Watch for me in Med Bay
striking a pose for the mini AND my yoga goal!!

tumblr_mpl691qIdz1r7clo9o3_r1_400.gif

Checking in to cheer you on for Sunday. Can't wait to hear your report on the day. Loved the story of how last time you were on the sidelines, and now you are participating.

• Like 1

I survived!  20:07

Unleashed_017.jpg

One of our three pack teams (Junkyard Dogs) placed first overall!  My mom is so thrilled - she is keeping the trophy at her office!!  My husband was on that team.  I think they ran it combined 41 minutes.  Husband was the last runner in for the pack (3 people team) and he finished in 14 minutes so they were pretty fast.  

I survived!  20:07

Unleashed_017.jpg

One of our three pack teams (Junkyard Dogs) placed first overall!  My mom is so thrilled - she is keeping the trophy at her office!!  My husband was on that team.  I think they ran it combined 41 minutes.  Husband was the last runner in for the pack (3 people team) and he finished in 14 minutes so they were pretty fast.  

Awesome job!

• Like 1

Well, this week was a wash.  No yoga, four out of 14 with the meditation, skipped a couple days with the meal log and only one day completed with my new fluoride routine.  Adding showtime to my hulu account was not a great idea...  way way way too much screen time this week.  got a lot work done but not a lot of relaxing.

One good thing this week was Unleashed.  I finished in about 20 minutes like I thought I would.  I would probably do it again next year - I bet I could beat my time.

4201.jpg

WP_20150809_003.jpg

Much better week!  I completed all my mini quests, plus I participated in the Starship Nerdiprise mini challenge - 60 minutes yoga for med bay and 75 burpees for engineering. I ended up buying a punch card at my local hot yoga because the yoga class at my xfit gym was cancelled this week and I knew from last week that doing yoga at home just was not going to happen.   so now I'm covered.  Here is a picture of my flouride chart plus my food log.  

WP_20150809_001.jpg

nothing fancy but it gets the job done.  my no-mfp charting doesn't seem to be upsetting my weight dramatically.  I did gain two pounds since starting the challenge but my body fat % decreased.  whatever.  things are holding steady about where I want them to be so I'm not panicking.

• Like 1

Week Three Update

Meh.  Not a great week but not a terrible one either.  Wasn't consistent on reflection and routine but good work on recording and reaching.  

I worked on three different parts of the Starship Nerdiprise - 60 minutes on Med Bay, BBWW twice for Engineering, and completed a WOW for Away Team.  Participated in the paintball challenge for the Away Team (200 high knees).

Ack!!  The teen child is calling me for a ride home from the orthodontist.  Will continue my nerd log later...

okay I'm back.  It's a busy week but still I am trying to really carve out time for ME - not the boys, the husband, the house - ME.  I have my spanish studies, my Year of the Spark (art) class, my crossift and, of course, my challenge, that I need to make time for.  

so onward with week four hump day report... today I was so happy at my 6am crossfit class because I was able to string together 7 double unders before tripping up the rope!  I've been doing single-double-single-double for about 3 months and finally I'm able to put together the doubles without the single jump in between.  YEAH - I'm psyched!  what else is good.  hmmm.  (it's easier to think of what I've been doing wrong but I'm trying to break that habit).  okay - I put in an extra yoga for this week, took my boys out to lunch yesterday at MOX boarding house and played some board games while eating, I've caught up on my YOS lessons, got my bangs trimmed...  so some good me time this week.  

next week we'll be on vacation, being away shouldn't affect my challenge too much although I may not have as much time to cheer on the recruits as is part of my privilege of being an assassin's ambassador. 

WP_20150823_001_1.jpg

continue to struggle with the new bedtime routine.  I get myself ready for bed pretty early but am still usually drinking water so I've been putting off the leave-on fluoride (no water for 30 minutes) and then spacing it completely as I read or whatever and then go to bed with face washed, teeth flossed but no leave on fluoride.  so I need to figure that out.

otherwise, it's looking pretty good.  I did yoga three times this week and I did crossfit three times this week!  very active.  I'm liking the hot yoga.  I like the power class, it's similar to the yoga I'm doing at my xfit gym so I feel like I'm not totally lost.    

next week promises to be very relaxed.  I've been so busy with work and all things boys.  I'm looking forward to some down time.  won't be doing any crossfit or yoga but probably lots of biking and hiking.  

one thing I was really psyched about this week was stringing together double unders (jump rope).  I managed to get 7 in a row.  that was very cool.  next goal - sets of 10!

WP_20150830_004.jpg

This week it was all about vacation - Ocean Shores, Seabrook, Kalaloch!!  Had such a great relaxing time.  No xfit this week but did manage two yogas - day we left and the day we returned. Got some meditation in but still struggling with the new bedtime routine.  not consistent with the leave on fluoride step...  Recorded all my meals though.  Every yummy vacation-y meal!  I'll be seeing it on the scale next week...  but come on, vacation on the beach, you know I had to have some smores!!!  and beer :)

Today I helped out in Engineering for the Starship Nerdiprise mini-challenge because Med-Bay is 100% (YEAH!).  Probably stick with them for the remainder of the mini-challenge because it's once a day 3 rounds BBWW which doesn't mess with my regular exercise.

Next week the goal is to really focus on the meditation and the bedtime routine.  It's going to be a fun week.  Tomorrow is my birthday (47!  Am I too old to hope my boys got me the new Big Bang Theory lego set???)

LEGO_Big_Bang_Theory_Characters_Minifigu

and Tuesday is the first day of school (that's the real birthday gift right there - ha ha).  

Birthday Burpees!  That was my gift from my 6am xfit class.  What a way to start my birthday.  I angled for 31 burpees (the day I was born), I mean, come on - 31 is a lot of burpees!!  But they said it had to be burpees for each year.  I had to do 47.  So.  Much.  Fun.  (said no one.  ever.)

5dfS5SM.gif

WP_20150906_001.jpg

a pretty good final week - I really concentrated on "the routine" goal, being sure that I'd finished drinking my water and was really ready for bed before starting my routine so I completed the whole routine.  had been putting off the final step, the leave on fluoride, and then by the time I was done drinking water I was already in bed and didn't get up to finish the routine.  But this week, I did better.

other goals went well, recording my meals in my journal, got to one yoga, and did 12 of 14 meditations.  also completed 3 days of BBWWs for engineering/starship nerdiprise and survived birthday burpees (47I!) gifted to me by my crossfit gym.

don't know when the next challenge begins but I have been thinking about it.  I signed up for the 30 day squat challenge (first functional move) from steve's most recent article and I'm going to start hanging on our monkey bars (that's the second functional move).  so those moves may be part of it.  I will be traveling though through the 19th so I'm not sure how that will play out.  I'll be on a mission trip and I don't think I'll have access to pull up bars or a playground where I'll be but I can still do the squats.  we'll see.

anyway - I'll post my challenge summary shortly but wanted to post out my results for week six.

WP_20150906_002.jpg

Challenge Summary:

reflect - well, this could have gone better.  I'm on my computer alot and I had calm.com bookmarked, but I just didn't make this a priority when I was online, obviously.

reach - did a good job with this one.  ended up buying 20 visits to a hot yoga studio as a back up to the yoga class at my xfit gym.  know myself well enough to know that I'd never follow through with at-home yoga plan despite my intentions/prep.  I have to say though I felt really bendy in the xfit yoga class but discovered just how un-bendy I really am once I took a class at the hot yoga studio.  It is lined with mirrors after all and showed me in my full unbendy-ness.  in the past this would have discouraged me but I'm okay.  gave me a good laugh. in the middle of one of the hot yoga classes actually.  Seeing what I actually looked like doing yoga versus what I felt like I looked reminded me of a Malcolm in the Middle episode where Lois imagines herself ballroom dancing - light, airy, beautiful, and then the reality - clumsy, awkward, horrible.

record - taking a break from MFP was a good idea.  I journaled my meals the old fashioned way and I didn't stress out.  Overall there doesn't seem to have affected my weight overall.  It fluctuated 2-4 pounds as it normally does over the course of the six weeks.  Might be a little on the high end at the close of this challenge but there was a vacation plus my birthday towards the end where I wasn't so careful with my eating.  

routine - failure.  did the regular routine but then would get into bed to read (usually still drinking my water while reading).  can't drink water with the leave on fluoride so the idea was that once I was done reading/drinking water I'd get back out of bed and do the leave on fluoride before falling asleep.  but most of the time I didn't get back up.  wasn't super excited about the leave on fluoride so I didn't make it a priority.  I think getting doing it 3x a week is probably good enough for my dental health, but for the challenge I didn't give myself points for the nights the full routine wasn't completed.  

had fun with the assassin's mini challenge - starship nerdiprise.  spent most of my time in med bay (stretching - it fit with my yoga goal) but also helped out engineering (burpees and BBWW) and the away team (W.O.W.).  really enjoy the mini challenges.

starting to think about goals for the next challenge.  depending on the dates there will be traveling and gum graft surgery to work around.  we'll see.