Pat G's battle log. Hammer Bros workout.

Monday 12 Mar 2012

Today's workout completed tanked me.

Squat

5x5x95kg

(actually these squats left me with nothing)

OHP

4x5x52.5kg

(didn't get the last set of 5 due to time constraints, HAD to get DLs in)

Deadlift

2x5x80kg

5x100kg

(Nice and easy does it)

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Wed 14 Mar 2012

Squat frown

5x60

5x80

5x90

4x95

5x90

not a good day for piston power, lack of energy + tight back made me want to ease up into working weight, which kind of failed only 4.

Bench

5x5x72.5kg

smashed it with better form that last time. Next week will be good for upping my bench by (DECLARING IT) 5kgs.

Barbell Row

5x5x62.5kg

alll sweet

peace

need more protein.

protein shake anyone?

Dozen eggs a day anyone?

On the bench, still only 2.5kg increments, but i'll be doing it on mon and friday, so theoretical 5kg gain by friday.

I'm trying to get some 100%whey powder from GNC, but its $93 a tub... far out man. far out...

Ahh now I get you, makes sense. My bench is gonna be deloaded tomorrow, 75KG beat me. But I'll be back! How big is it for $93? I've heard GNC is a bit pricey in general. I get a Vital Strength 100% whey from my gym, its ~$100 for 3KG. But there's a store near my new place that sells supliments, might have something cheaper, I'll check it out once I deplete my current supply.

I don't tell anybody but myself about my squats man. those are private and intimate moments. Spotter was trying to fire me up using an example from work, but ended up pretending to be the customer calling me "a bloody bastard" and i lost it.

WEdnesday 21 mar 2012.

Early morning workout.

Squat

5x 40kg

5x 60kg

5x 80kg

5x 90kg

5x 95kg

3x 100kg

OHP

5x 20kg

5x 25kg

5x 30kg

5x 40kg

5x 50kg

5x 55kg

2x 60kg

AFTERNOON WORKOUT

Gym is doing a promo for free fitness checks etc etc

my bodyfat is apparently 19.1%, weight : 99.2KG

Tried out some goodmornings... 2 sets of 5 with just the bar... felt quite awkward and tight.

Deadlifts

8x60

7x80

6x90

5x100

5x 120

2x 140 (PR)

The 7 was because I got angry at the 4 in the previous set.

Squats thats usually what I do, basically hold my breath and rage silently in my head till I'm back at the top. Bit of lingering pain in the lower back. All manageable.

iiorever did have to tell 2 kids on friday to stop squatting, absolutely everything that could have been wrong was wrong... I would have laughed if they weren't in danger of crushing their sines.

Missed traditional training today because of an interview so:

- Got4x30secs of mountain climbers

- Mowed the lawn

- 4x10x 35kg upright rows

- 2x 30 pushups

- 5 minutes of plank

Wednesday 28 Mar 2012

Squat

Warmup: 65

Set: 87.5kg

Beasted them out, 2nd working set got into the zone and started knocking them out. Noticed a difference in the way i do the down phase of the squat.

Bench:

Warmup: 35kg

Set: 4x5x77.5kg

3.5x77.5kg

Last set, form went to downright terrible, hips thrust in the air to make it to the top. Spotter stepped in and racked it on attempt 4.

Barbell Row.

Warmup: 40kg

Set: 67.5kg

Reverted to doing these underhand because of shoulder strain. (will get some overhand barbell curls in to work the forearms)

Eats: One chicken and bacon pizza with 4 poached eggs on top. Milk & Milk.

Friday 30 mar

Squat

Warm: 60kg

Set: 90kg

OHP

Warm: 40kg

Set: 55x4

52.5kg: 5, 5, 5, 4

Dead

Warm 1: 60kg

Warm 2: 80kg

Set: 125kg.

attempted to video myself for form in the working set. All I could see was the top of the movement and somebodies rounded back.... Ts k tsk

Monday 02 April.

Back squat.

warmup: 5x60

set: 3x4x100kg

ass to grass. Tried taking a video for form, but you can only see the top half of the movement. need a spotter with vid skillz.

front squat:

practicing with the bar....

8x40kg

6x50kgs.

still strange for me. i tried checking a youtube clip whilst at the gym for a form check to see where the fingers go and whatnot. but mobile data fail.

Bench:

Warmup: 60kg

Set:

5x70

5x75

2x4x77.5

Barbell Row

warmup: 40kg

Set: 5x70

2x6x65kg

* i know this workout follows no protocol and doesn't make sense, so don't yell

Why don't you follow 5x5 properly?! If you don't do exactly what Medhi says, you will be weak and small and you WILL fail!

You just undid all the work you've been doing for the past months, I can't beleive you!

:stupid:

I've got to try the front squat properly. Everytime I've tried it just felt really odd, and I couldn't keep my elbows up, and I just stopped. Gotta give it a serious attempt some day. I'll be hitting you up for some tips, I think.

Why don't you follow 5x5 properly?! If you don't do exactly what Medhi says, you will be weak and small and you WILL fail!

You just undid all the work you've been doing for the past months, I can't beleive you!

Ha!

um, and hi, totally stalking both your logs, your back and forth has given me some good tips :)

@Katsrcratch, yes, you will learn a lot from our mucking about. maybe.

Talking of tips... i'm actually thinking of dropping squatting to 2x a week.... based on knowledge and rumours and other information that has been flying around here when it comes to stalling. or maybe 3x a week but at 3x5 instead of 5x5....

Katscratch, feel free to join in on the banter, it makes it more fun for everyone!

I too was considering dropping the squat to every other session, and doing more than one working set of DLs. But for now I think 3x5 will suffice. I'm also toying with the idea of changing to a 4x a week routine, along the lines of MTTF, doing push/pull split.

Gonna grind on for a little longer though. I don't think my plateus are real just yet.

Wed April 04 2012

Bit of testing happening for the upncoming "Spring Strength Showdown".

Warmup:

2 mins elliptical

front squat 10x20kg

clean & press 10x40kg

Squat:

5x 60kg

5x 70kg

5x 80kg

5x 90kg

3x 100kg

1x 110kg

perhaps my warmup was a bit too long and drawn out? i thought i'd have a higher 1rm than that. Any pointers you powerlifting people?

OHP

Decided to clean them instead of using the squat rack

5x 50kg

52.5kg: 5, 5, 3, 4, 2

Deadlift

7x 60kg

6x 80kg

5x 100kg

5x 120kg

2x 140kg first attempt failed so i started to unload the bar, and then the anger set in to power these out. Maximal effort, 1RM is probably only 5kg more.

*Take this thread as a study in n00bing your training sessions.

Nice work :) Let the anger fuel you! You'll be pumping out 5 @ 140kg very soon I think!

I'm going to do the same on Friday, except I will toss the regularly scheduled workout and attempt all the lifts that I'll do for the comp. Basically treat my work out like the comp, mabye add some accessory at the end.

I do think you're dragging your warm ups out a bit. And as I get closer to my working set I usually drop to only 3 reps. My progression on squats this morning went along the lines of:

BW x 10

Bar only x 10 (these are done between dynamic stretches)

5 x 60kg

5 x 100kg

3 x 110kg

work sessions (115kg)