• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

dancezwithkittehz

dancezwithkittehz , down the rabbit hole

Draft in progress, but here's a start! :D

Dancezwithkittehz found herself perched above the most curious rabbit hole.

Alice-in-Wonderland-Alice-Looks-Down-The

Naturally she dove in headfirst!

01cdb32b-8f55-4a80-97a9-bd03f584f02a.jpg

"After such a fall as this, I shall think nothing of tumbling down stairs!"

cirque-du-soleil-3d-mondi-lontani-foto-d

Next, Dancezwithkittehz followed the white rabbit to a most peculiar place. What was IN those tents?

And when she went inside . . . .

2013-01-18-02.jpg

Dancezwithkittehz saw the most amazing things! She knew she had to stay.

This challenge is going to be very aerial centric (plus other adventures I'm sure because it's ME we are talking about. Oooh look something shiny to explore over there...)

Goal 1 - Do the "scary" stuff (aerial skills):  for me this is inverted climbs, doing ANYTHING up high, and especially drops. I will be doing aerial at least 3 times a week so I need to work on at least one scary thing each class and by the end of the challenge I need to have an inverted climb down AND at least one drop.

Goal 2, Choreography! -

I am choreographing a solo for our showcase in September. I also have like a BAZILLION-LEVENTY-MILLION dance choreography ideas. I need to be ideally choreographing at least a phrase a week, and if I am not choreographing I need to perform the hell out of something every week (doesn't matter if this is just in class and if it's aerial or dance, but I need to get in the flow zone and ooze performance-y goodness out of every pore.) This should involve videos and please pester me!!!

Goal 3, coding and ear training - I know I know way not directly related to my theme, but these are things I really really want to work on. Every day would be great but I know how absurd my schedule is especially early in the week so, 3 times a week minimum! Coding I can work on at lunch at least (I am working my way through a combination of Learn Python the Hard Way, and Code Academy section on Python.) For ear training I just got EarMaster 6, which I have to be at home to work on unfortunately.

Goal 4, Chase rabbits - dancezwithkittehz needs to be able to keep up with that pesky rabbit (and be ready for her planned spartan trifecta next year!) so she needs to be running again. I would be happy with running at least once per week!

LIFE Stuff:

Debt paydown! (ongoing goal) - put a rents worth of money towards credit cards since I want to move out and be renting in the next year or so.

Re-arrange batcave - DECLUTTERING NEEDS TO HAPPEN NAO. I need to do dedicated decluttering time once a week (most likely on weekends.) Cleaning in general also counts

• Like 4

You guyssssssssss. Last night dance class was such perfection. Normally in dance she switches to choreograph something new every 2 weeks. It ended up being only a really small group of us that all know eachother pretty well last night (and all of us are dancers and choreographers) so she decided to go back to the amaaazing "instrospective chair dance" we were working on for the last few weeks. We did a warm up and then she ran the last hour-ish of class like a rehearsal and we set about 3 minutes of choreography/ almost finished the piece and it is AWESOME. We're planning to finish it out and then she wants to find somewhere for us to perform it in the next few months.

This is how it was last week before she set a bunch more stuff last night (and slightly different group of dancers):

• Like 4

I am a singer and I'm getting terrible at reading music and never did ear training. I also just looooove music in general and want to do that to help with picking up more instruments. (I want to learn piano and then I also have a clarinet so I might as well remember how it!) After doing this ear training I then plan to teach myself music theory with the long term goal of making my own musicy stuff (and singing it too of course!) And THEN I could make my own music and then choreograph to said music and CONQUER THE WORLD BUAHAHAHA... ahem... uh..

I also have always loved stupidly detail oriented things. I loved html back when I taught myself back...forever ago, and then I ended up using it in my old job + learning CSS and I love that too and I've always wanted to learn to code and program. (Yay computer nerd!) I also would like to move into working in the tech industry and getting good with coding and lots of languages and making my own programs etc. will be a good transition into applying to tech field stuff. I am thinking gaming? in the long run but then again I just kind of love coding in general so I am not tying myself down to a specific area (especially since I am not there yet!) And then a more specific skill set like that on top of all my other stuff should make it easier to find a job to relocate for (which is another goal for in the nearish future.)

I think my dream future job somehow melds coding/the detail oriented stuff with creativity and music and art. And if it could also somehow help my love of social justice issues and making the world a better place that would be even better. I do not know what this job would be but if it's out there I hope to find it (or hey maybe I can MAKE said job happen who knows?)

• Like 2

Good luck!!! Aerials looks really fun and it's awesome that you're a choreographer. 

How's python? It wasn't offered at my school at the time so I ran straight into Java! 

• Like 1

My dance teacher is SO amazing. She's a working choreographer and likes to workshop her pieces on us in class (and occasionally actually put a full piece on us instead of her dance company woohoo!) SO lucky to get to work with her.

Good luck!!! Aerials looks really fun and it's awesome that you're a choreographer. 

How's python? It wasn't offered at my school at the time so I ran straight into Java! 

I haven't gotten super far into it yet but I like it so far! I had started goofing around a bit with Java but decided to switch to Python instead. I'll probably go back to Java later because yay more languages. With java I had been goofing around on Code Combat which was good for learning syntax but not really good for actually learning it for use so I think that's why it wasn't holding my attention. 

I am really enjoying the combination of using Learn Python the Hard Way and Code Academy together. The first makes you pratice a ton in a tedious fashion which I think is great for actually learning things and then Code Academy just brushes through things really quickly but in a nice approachable fashion so I am finding they work well together. I've been repeating each exercise a few times in each to actually try and remember everything.

Currently I am working through the appendix on the Learn Python the Hard Way that teaches you how to use the command line since that's what you would ACTUALLY be doing whereas code academy has you using a fake terminal system within their website. So, I feel definitely going for a combination was good!

I think I will plan to do maybe a MOOC style Computer Science online course at some point. I found a few decent sounding ones through I can't remember the name of the website but I can look it up! I definitely also need to go back and actually do calculus at some point because I stopped at pre-calc back oh..I don't know 10 years ago now??? when I was in college if not earlier than that because I decided to go humanities for my BA and stopped mathing at all for a long while! Ugh. Silly 20 year old me!!

• Like 1

I survived my first run since January or February ish and I fared much better than I thought I would! (I think all those broad jumps in the Quidditch mini helped!) I knew I was going to need to do run/walk combination since my legs are waaaay not used to running, but I think my intervals on that were about equal amounts running and walking and if not slightly more on the edge of running more... wha?!!?! I did something like:

5 min run, 2 min walk, 2 min run, 2 min walk, 2 min run, 5 min walk, 5 min run  (not including 10 min before and after warm up and cool down walks)  And I really hauled ass for that last 5 min run interval (like I felt like I was legit running and not jogging almost the same speed I walk! To be fair my normal walking pace is also way faster than it was in January too!)

Last time I attempted to run it went something like run 5 min, walk 20 min, run 1 min, walk 10 min done. My legs seem to really be handling the impact better this time.

Yaaaaaaaaaay!!!! I have a long time to train up to the distances I need to be able to do for Spartan Beast and Super buuuut I think I'll be up to being able to run a full sprint length pretty quickly?!?! Weird!

I am also entertained that I had my first Chancellor sighting in a while! And he was by himself and not with his minions! I guess the sneaky path all the upper administration was taking to get to the Special Olympics athlete welcoming event thing happened to be the way I walk to my office every day. I'm still surprised he wasn't with any minions or his wife though. Rare!

• Like 2

I haven't gotten super far into it yet but I like it so far! I had started goofing around a bit with Java but decided to switch to Python instead. I'll probably go back to Java later because yay more languages. With java I had been goofing around on Code Combat which was good for learning syntax but not really good for actually learning it for use so I think that's why it wasn't holding my attention. 

I am really enjoying the combination of using Learn Python the Hard Way and Code Academy together. The first makes you pratice a ton in a tedious fashion which I think is great for actually learning things and then Code Academy just brushes through things really quickly but in a nice approachable fashion so I am finding they work well together. I've been repeating each exercise a few times in each to actually try and remember everything.

Currently I am working through the appendix on the Learn Python the Hard Way that teaches you how to use the command line since that's what you would ACTUALLY be doing whereas code academy has you using a fake terminal system within their website. So, I feel definitely going for a combination was good!

I think I will plan to do maybe a MOOC style Computer Science online course at some point. I found a few decent sounding ones through I can't remember the name of the website but I can look it up! I definitely also need to go back and actually do calculus at some point because I stopped at pre-calc back oh..I don't know 10 years ago now??? when I was in college if not earlier than that because I decided to go humanities for my BA and stopped mathing at all for a long while! Ugh. Silly 20 year old me!!

Oh yes tedious repetition of the same syntax and code is a good way to learn programming imo. Python uses command line? I should give it a go since I know some linux/unix. 

I'd have to do calculus again too I think XD I took it senior year of high school and that was the last math I've had since it passed the requirement for AS in Software Dev math standard. Hasn't been nearly as long but I could probably use a good refresher. 

Oh yes tedious repetition of the same syntax and code is a good way to learn programming imo. Python uses command line? I should give it a go since I know some linux/unix. 

I'd have to do calculus again too I think XD I took it senior year of high school and that was the last math I've had since it passed the requirement for AS in Software Dev math standard. Hasn't been nearly as long but I could probably use a good refresher. 

I haven't gotten anywhere near actually making anything useful but How to Learn Python the Hard Way demands you do the how to work on command line section before you actually start the Python lessons so I guess so? All my other coding experience is html/css which I always worked on in Notepad + so this is a new adventure for me for sure!

• Like 1

So much to comment on and the challenge hasn't started! And you have TWO videos up already!

Very cool that you are learning Python. I'm taking some photoshop and html courses online to remind myself of all the things I used to know how to do. I like webs ensign because it gives me some creative outlet but my left brain gets to enjoy structure too.

I like to run the way you described, sort of like HIIT. Some days I want to see how far I can go but most of the time I prefer to jog-walk-sprint. I'm easily bored :)

You guuuuys. My armmmmmmmms. So sore. But this week was so awesome!!!! I am up to 6 aerial classes from my normal 2! Dance was amazing. I am working on some dance choreography plus I've found some good aerial-spiration for the rope/ corde lisse piece I am working on. Wheeeeeee!

Now to go rest! And I think Sunday is definitely a total rest day for me and no open gym. (Ok I miiiiight run? But arms need a total break for sure!)

Also I have accomplished SO MANY milestones this week in aerial:

Double foot locks up high

Inverted cross back straddle

New entry method into crossback straddle

Straight leg pull over into hammock

Splitting silks in the air the non-cheater way

Finally got down the motion for silks ankle hang!

• Like 1