• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I made it to another yoga class today. I feel like the evening yoga does more for me, versus the Saturday morning class. Perhaps this is just because I've been sitting at my desk all day so a good stretch gives me noticeable benefits.

Other than that, not much else to report. So far I'm hitting all the marks, assuming I make it to bed in the next 20 minutes.

In the interest of maintaining the integrity of my goals, I must admit I missed my bedtime by five minutes last night. Certainly not a disastrous slip. However, since this challenge is all about discipline and routine, it is necessary to call myself out. I just have to remember that getting sleep is a priority, and to wrap up whatever I might be doing ahead of time so that no matter what, I am in bed by midnight.

On a positive note, everything else continues to go well. I hit the 10 consecutive day milestone on the app I use for meditation, something that has eluded me ever since I downloaded the app back in January.

• Like 3

I think one of the more appealing aspects of parkour is that one can get started without having a formal instructor or class. So far everything I have done has been self-training, drawing from multiple internet sources and one book I was recently given. Someday, I hope I can attend some classes, as I imagine having a dedicated instructor will help develop a higher level of skill in less time. But until then, it's very much a self-motivated, self-oriented endeavor. Progress may take more time, but there is something about self-training that is very liberating.

It's good to know someone else is on the same page as me.  I'm forced to be entirely self taught so my journey into Parkour is a study in internet videos mostly, so my self-drawn curriculum will have to do.  Self motivation, indeed.

tumblr_nskffutFQZ1uckx9fo1_500.gif

So I haven't posted in a couple of days. Shame on me. The challenge has been going well so far. I've been hitting all my marks, getting to bed no later than midnight, meditating and making a to do list daily, and getting in my workouts. I've also managed to keep up attending yoga at the YMCA on Saturday mornings for 3 weeks straight now.

I have noticed that while I've been consistent about getting to bed before midnight, I have been a bit more tired than usual over these last couple days. We did have a storm come through in the early morning hours a few nights ago, which definitely disturbed by sleep, so it may be a knock-on effect from that. However, I may want to consider trying for an earlier bedtime. I won't change the challenge. Midnight still counts as a success. But it may just be helpful to exercise some discretion and take in an earlier bedtime from time to time.

I have no big plans for parkour-specific training on the near horizon. This morning's yoga class left me feeling a bit rough, though I am quite glad an persevered through it. Maybe in a few days I'll plan another evening in the park for some vaults, jumps, and landings. Cat climb/wall hang is also something I would like to start playing with, after studying a few tutorials.

I fell off the edge of the world for a few days too this weekend.  It happens, and sometimes it's for the best and quite healthy to do so.  It's a real biotch to get caught up though.  Sometimes this place just takes off like a car with a rocket engine attached to it.  Still it sounds like you've staying on top of your challenge goals and maybe even beginning to form a routine of sorts.  I don't think I could commit to a midnight bedtime though, so good for you there.

So I was all pumped to head to a local playground for a DIY Parkour sesh tonight but I was stalled out by rain and then secuded by hot wings and tasty adult beverages.  I did say "do all the things," so that counts, right?

In the interest of maintaining the integrity of my goals, I must admit I missed my bedtime by five minutes last night. Certainly not a disastrous slip. However, since this challenge is all about discipline and routine, it is necessary to call myself out. I just have to remember that getting sleep is a priority, and to wrap up whatever I might be doing ahead of time so that no matter what, I am in bed by midnight.

On a positive note, everything else continues to go well. I hit the 10 consecutive day milestone on the app I use for meditation, something that has eluded me ever since I downloaded the app back in January.

The most important aspect of Nerd Fitness to be is the accountability it offers.  I promised myself from day one that I would always be completely honest with both my challenge goals and MyFitnessPal.  No lying to be had.  So if I slip up, I have to own up and report it.  It's good to see you're of the same mind and taking yourself to task on it.  Like your admission I agree that five minutes probably isn't huge and certainly reflects the "real world wobble" that affects our lives from time to time.

10 days is the first major milestone.  Then 20, 50, 75, 100... it's all miles on the road from there.  Keep it up!

• Like 1

The most important aspect of Nerd Fitness to be is the accountability it offers.  I promised myself from day one that I would always be completely honest with both my challenge goals and MyFitnessPal.  No lying to be had.  So if I slip up, I have to own up and report it.  It's good to see you're of the same mind and taking yourself to task on it.  Like your admission I agree that five minutes probably isn't huge and certainly reflects the "real world wobble" that affects our lives from time to time.

10 days is the first major milestone.  Then 20, 50, 75, 100... it's all miles on the road from there.  Keep it up!

Yeah, I feel it's so critical to get the accountability portion of this right, even so far as to mention the tiny slip-ups, as well as the tiny-successes. It's the kind of self-feedback I need to make sure I am staying on the right path. Even the tiny slip-up, if not addressed, can lead to a bigger problem down the road. Just like even a tiny victory can lead to an even bigger victory, which is why I feel it is important to acknowledge them as well.

After the prescribed Monday and Tuesday off, I'm back at the pull-ups and BW exercises tonight. I feel like they are getting slightly easier now, closer to the point I was at before I fell off the wagon on my last challenge. I will definitely need to look at increasing reps or find some other way to increase difficulty fairly soon. I may even add another workout day. Right now I'm doing this four times per week, with Friday, Monday and Tuesday as off days. I'm thinking it might be of benefit to not have two off days in a row.

Now that I've hit all my marks for the evening, it's time for some me time. Which probably means some Assassin's Creed. I only recently got into those games, starting with AC2 and now I'm up to Revelations (working on the Ezio trilogy specifically). So far I'm really enjoying my wanderings around Constantinople.

• Like 1

Oh no.. How did I miss your challenge thread?

You're kind of a bad-ass.  I did about a year of Isshinryu Karate when I first moved to the city and the sai - along with the bo staff - were something I was really looking forward to learning.  Unfortunately the army sidelined those plans, but I still look at those traditional weapons with interest.  I watched Predators last night and really enjoy the scene with the Yakuza member squaring off against one of the Predators with a katana.  That moment was very well done!

I really hate it that so many martial arts schools reserve weapons until you're a high rank.  Honestly, if you can't really hurt yourself much with them, there's no reason to prevent noobs from starting to work with weapons.  My school (hapkido/TKD hybrid) let us start with (foam) nunchakus at white belt, and we could add bo staff by green belt.  And as we progressed in rank, we could add other weapons.  It was awesome, because weapons are fun, help you learn a whole lot of coordination and kinesthetic awareness, and by the time you get your black belt, you're actually really good with the weapons (rather than just starting out).  

Today was a great parkour practice day in the park. I found a good section of retaining wall for working on the step vault and even some progression into a speed vault (or at least something resembling a speed vault). I was also a good exercise in tuning the fear of practicing such things in public. One tactic that is particularly effective when teenagers give me strange looks is just to think to myself, "yeah, you only hope you can be half this cool when you are 34." I'm sure just the thought of being 34 someday is enough to send many of them reeling.

The great thing about speed vaults is that if you fail to get enough height on your jump, you'll just end up doing a safety (step) vault.  So, there really isn't any danger in them.  ;)  I've had any number of attempts at speed vaults or thief vaults where I failed to get enough height, and my outside foot tapped down, letting me cleanly do the safety vault.  If the wall you're using is at a decent height, you could probably also work on easy vaults and lazy vaults.  I'd honestly be slightly wary of doing kongs without proper instruction and some mats.  

Most of the teens at my parkour school seem really supportive of the "old people" in the obstacle course class with them.  They actually seem to think it's cool that they won't have to quit doing all of the fun things when they're grown up.  And it totally motivates them to try harder or not chicken out on things when a woman old enough to be their mom is doing it.  

As much as I appriciate the theme of the mini-challenges, I think I'm going to have to opt out this time around and just focus on my modest goals. I think some of my struggles last time were partially due to early burnout from taking on too much.

Yup.  I'm right there with you.  The minis are awesome if you need some extra ideas or motivation.  But if you otherwise have a pretty solid routine and full schedule, they can just end up being a distraction from your challenge goals.  

• Like 2

Thanks for following along Nymeria. Better late than never.

You know, those kong vaults actually kind of scare me. I don't think I would ever attempt that without some solid instruction. Or at least a whole lot of self-training (as in a year or more, building up to it).

Now that I've hit all my marks for the evening, it's time for some me time. Which probably means some Assassin's Creed. I only recently got into those games, starting with AC2 and now I'm up to Revelations (working on the Ezio trilogy specifically). So far I'm really enjoying my wanderings around Constantinople.

Let me know what you think of AC.  I tried 3, then went back to the first one and really couldn't get into them.  I'm sort of finicky with games though.

I really hate it that so many martial arts schools reserve weapons until you're a high rank.  Honestly, if you can't really hurt yourself much with them, there's no reason to prevent noobs from starting to work with weapons.  My school (hapkido/TKD hybrid) let us start with (foam) nunchakus at white belt, and we could add bo staff by green belt.  And as we progressed in rank, we could add other weapons.  It was awesome, because weapons are fun, help you learn a whole lot of coordination and kinesthetic awareness, and by the time you get your black belt, you're actually really good with the weapons (rather than just starting out).  

I claimed my yellow belt fairly quickly and kept going for about a year, and even then I had all of five minutes logged on a bo staff.  That was about it.  Certainly wasn't the best Karate club.

I suspect the inclusion of weapons training in many karate/TKD classes was a very deliberate attempt at member retention, especially among the higher ranks. As for my time in karate, it was a moot issue, because the karate I studied tends to not include weapons at all. It was a slightly different story when I tried TKD. I would have started nunchaku training had I stuck around for another 6 months or so. I think the best approach I've seen among a traditional martial art was in aikido, where I was introduced to the bokken and jo very early on, and the movements very much reflect what you are doing empty-handed. Swinging sticks was quite fun, and something you could practice as a solo exercise when not in a class. However, I'm not in much of a hurry to get back into any of that kind of training. Money and time are the biggest issues, but I also find myself less interested in traditional East-Asian martial arts these days, save for maybe judo. If I were to get back into it, you would most likely find me in boxing, kickboxing, or judo. If I were to do karate again, I would only be doing it as a form of fitness and discipline, not as a combat art.

Rurik, I imagine I will get around to the first AC at some point (that is, whenever Steam has a sale again). Playing through the Ezio games definitely has me wanting to go back and experience Altair's story. But I'm sure it will feel odd at first, as I'm sure they games I'm playing have all kinds of refinements that are absent in the original.

Failing that, there is a series of novels based upon the games. They seem to be quite well reviewed on amazon.com. I almost wish I had discovered the novels before I bought the games, as I think I would be content just to get the story alone.

Yesterday was a good day on the home training front. All daily goals met. As far as the bedtime, I actually got to bed early for once, at 10:00 PM. I just felt I needed to, so I did.

I've recently been looking at pistol squats as something to start working on. Mainly because, I can't do one. But I know how awesome it would feel to conquer it, much like when I finally conquered the chin-up and pull-up. Just a thought. :orange:

• Like 2

Second week in summary...doing well.  :orange:

Not without its hiccups, though. Saturday night was a noteworthy failure of the midnight bedtime. And it was a pretty deliberate failure. I had a bad case of the F its after having a difficult evening with the little one and not getting her to bed until 11:30 PM. As that cut into my "me" time, I decided to go well past my bedtime playing some Assassin's Creed. Not a good excuse. But I hold nothing back...I bombed it. In the future, I will stick to my bedtime, and perhaps wake up early to get my "me" time as an alternative.

Everything else is going without a hitch. Meditation, list making, pull-ups, body weight exercises, it's all happening according to plan. I even did my pull-ups and body weight exercises today, a day I normally reserve as an off day. I guess I just feel there is no longer any benefit to having three off days during the week when two will suffice. My body is getting stronger, and used to the exercises. A good sign it is probably time to step up the reps. I believe I had that as part of the plan anyway after week three, so next week that will definitely be happening.

I've given some thought on additional training to try in the near future. I think I mentioned pistol squats once already. I'm considering working towards that, starting with the squats I already do and progressing to more difficult motions. I'm also considering starting a running routine. But it will be one or the other, pistols or running, not both.

I haven't done much in the way of dedicated parkour training recently. That is something I could stand to focus on in the next week or so. I've been talking about some deliberate QM exercises for quite a while now, but haven't actually done much with it. With company coming this week, I'm not really looking to add anything. Maybe better to hold off on that one until next week.

• Like 1

Second week in summary...doing well.  :orange:

Not without its hiccups, though. Saturday night was a noteworthy failure of the midnight bedtime. And it was a pretty deliberate failure. I had a bad case of the F its after having a difficult evening with the little one and not getting her to bed until 11:30 PM. As that cut into my "me" time, I decided to go well past my bedtime playing some Assassin's Creed. Not a good excuse. But I hold nothing back...I bombed it. In the future, I will stick to my bedtime, and perhaps wake up early to get my "me" time as an alternative.

Everything else is going without a hitch. Meditation, list making, pull-ups, body weight exercises, it's all happening according to plan. I even did my pull-ups and body weight exercises today, a day I normally reserve as an off day. I guess I just feel there is no longer any benefit to having three off days during the week when two will suffice. My body is getting stronger, and used to the exercises. A good sign it is probably time to step up the reps. I believe I had that as part of the plan anyway after week three, so next week that will definitely be happening.

I've given some thought on additional training to try in the near future. I think I mentioned pistol squats once already. I'm considering working towards that, starting with the squats I already do and progressing to more difficult motions. I'm also considering starting a running routine. But it will be one or the other, pistols or running, not both.

I haven't done much in the way of dedicated parkour training recently. That is something I could stand to focus on in the next week or so. I've been talking about some deliberate QM exercises for quite a while now, but haven't actually done much with it. With company coming this week, I'm not really looking to add anything. Maybe better to hold off on that one until next week.

The 'F Its' will plague you your whole life.  No matter how far along the journey you get, eventually a 'meh' day will come along and sideline you.  'Meh' days can easily become 'meh weeks' easily enough and then everything snowballs out of control.  I hate 'meh days.'

You really are doing an excellent job on staying on top of your goals and keeping up your motivation, so a day or two here or there has a pretty negligible impact on the grand scheme of things.

• Like 1

Yesterday was an off day from the workout. I failed to make my daily list, and it really showed. Without this new routine I found myself scrambling to get things done at the end of the day, rather than being proactive and getting stuff done ahead of time and then relaxing later. A very good reminder of why I made this a goal. Luckily I still remembered to get my meditation in. I'm getting close to the 20 consecutive day milestone on my meditation app.

I'm also still thinking about doing some running. Not really sure why the urge to do that hit. I've done it before for a little bit, ran a 5k "fun run" once but eventually got burned out from pushing myself too hard in the colder months and getting sick all the time.

For some reason the urge to practice more parkour seems to be subsiding slightly. Since I'm not feeling it, perhaps I will just fill that void with running. Then resume once the parkour urge returns. Ever since I started documenting my fitness activities here on Nerd Fitness, I have noticed that my interests tend to change over time. I rarely stick with the same thing continuously, year round. Realizing this has been mental adjustment for me, as I used to embrace year round consistancy with previous endeavors (karate). But now, I figure it doesn't matter so much, so long as I am active and doing something. Exercise can change with the seasons.

• Like 1

Yesterday was another good day. Made my list (and completed the jobs on it), did my meditation, did my workout, and got to bed in time. Overall win.

The only thing I'm not doing is keeping up without everyone else's posts on NF. I apologize for that. But it's not likely to improve in the next week, as I have company visting for a while. But after that, I'll make my presence better known once again.

• Like 1

The weekend was hit and miss. I missed everything save for the bedtime on Saturday, and missed meditation on Sunday. But I'm not being too hard on myself, since I've been so busy with the visitors we have had. This is one of the few times I am ok my excuse. Since we haven't seen these people for nearly four years, I don't mind making exceptions. However, since the weekend is now over (we were on the go pretty much all weekend), I should be able to get back into a somewhat normal routine for the remainder of their visit.

• Like 2

Yesterday was another good day. Made my list (and completed the jobs on it), did my meditation, did my workout, and got to bed in time. Overall win.

The only thing I'm not doing is keeping up without everyone else's posts on NF. I apologize for that. But it's not likely to improve in the next week, as I have company visting for a while. But after that, I'll make my presence better known once again.

It can be a struggle, especially if you keep on top of half as many people as I do.  It takes a couple of hours to fully catch up with everyone and I always strive to put some actually effort into my replies rather than just jump in with a "good work!" before carrying on with my day.  My best advice is just try to catch up with a couple of people per day or every couple of days.  Basically just do what you can, and know that the folks around here appreciate any effort you make.

The weekend was hit and miss. I missed everything save for the bedtime on Saturday, and missed meditation on Sunday. But I'm not being too hard on myself, since I've been so busy with the visitors we have had. This is one of the few times I am ok my excuse. Since we haven't seen these people for nearly four years, I don't mind making exceptions. However, since the weekend is now over (we were on the go pretty much all weekend), I should be able to get back into a somewhat normal routine for the remainder of their visit.

How is the meditation going?  I struggled with it, eventually found it gave me no joy, and I ended up dropping it.  I prefer personal time with some music to recharge my batteries and get my mind right.  Do you find it a struggle at all, or just a matter of finding time for it?

I had a rough weekend for challenge goals myself, so I feel your pain.  But hey, it's a whole new week, right?

• Like 1

How is the meditation going?  I struggled with it, eventually found it gave me no joy, and I ended up dropping it.  I prefer personal time with some music to recharge my batteries and get my mind right.  Do you find it a struggle at all, or just a matter of finding time for it?

Like most things I take an interest in, I've gone through hot and cold periods with it. Tried it, liked it, then got bored, stopped...then go back again, liked it, gained benefits from it, then let other things get in the way, etc. Rinse, repeat. I think the reason I have recently been successful with it is due to my focus on discipline and routine. I've simply made it a part of my daily routine. Very deliberately. I've also simplified it to work for me, in that I only meditate for no more than 8 minutes at a time. I'm not really sure how I got to 8. I think I just started at 5 and worked my way up from there. Nothing magical about 8. I just find it to be long enough without being too long.

As far as what I get out of it, I can't say in necessarily brings me joy. If anything, it brings me insight. Not in a massively profound "enlightenment" sort of way. Just tiny little bits of understanding I didn't have before (and I mean very tiny). I think this is a more realistic expectation of what one can get out of meditation. The best book I've read on the subject is Mindfulness in Plain English. You can actually find it for free from a number of websites (link below). The individual who wrote it has a pretty down to earth approach. More psychology than zen. Nothing "new agey" or metaphysical. That stuff generally turns me off pretty quick.

http://www.vipassana.com/meditation/mindfulness_in_plain_english.php

The struggle for me is just to sit down and actually do it. Once I start, I'm fine, so long as I'm not being interupted. So it is a bit of a time balance. For me to not be interupted, I'm generally waiting until after I put my little one to bed for the night. But then I have to knuckle down, sit down and do it before too much time has lapsed. If I wait too long, then I am mentally tired, and it just isn't as beneficial (I'm more likely to sit and daydream, and the minutes feel like hours).

That's really what the struggle is for me, doing it at the right time, under the right circumstances (and making sure to create those circumstances). Like I said, once I get started, it's not a problem. I always finish feeling it was time well spent, even if I didn't get any noticeable insight or revelation that particular day. I find I now feel some comfort from the routine itself.

Hope that helps a little. It's a big topic, with so many points of view. I find it's kind of a hard thing to put into words. Which is quite possible a good sign. I think it's supposed to be that way.  :playful:

It sure is hard keeping on top of my goals with so many distractions. But I'm still working at it, even if not meeting every goal as well as I had hoped. Last night was a very late night, so the midnight bedtime was missed, as was my meditation. But I still managed to get all my exercises in, with the increase in reps I am starting this week. Despite the missed marks, I'm still not down on myself for it, because I got to spend some more time with people I haven't seen for years. Our guests will be around for at least one more night, so I can make no gaurantee about hitting all the marks tonight. But I certainly will try, and at least make some progress, if only a little bit.

I've also been thinking about trying something new, or at least something I haven't done for over a year or more? Ideally, something different from what I'm already doing, but has aspects that can carry over and complement my current routine.

Rock climbing?

Judo?

Both are available through the university in town, even to a non-student. Something to think about.

Our guests have now returned home. It was great seeing them after nearly four years. As I have already stated, the visit was disruptive to my routine, but this is to be expected. A sacrifice I gladly make for the opportunity to reconnect. But anyway, today marks the day everything goes back to normal. And I have marked this by doing just that, hitting all my goals on the mark.

I must give myself credit for succeeding where I did not in my last challenge. With the obvious disruption to my routine, this could have been a prime opportunity for me to get a bad case of the f-its, blow the missed daily goals out of proportion, and completely throw in the towel, condemning myself to not level up again. Instead, I'm staying positive, focusing on what I did accomplish despite the disruption (and I still did accomplish quite a lot), and now refocusing on what I must do to keep going and finish this challenge strong. It's also worth mentioning that I am doing more than I was when I started the challenge. I have moved up to doing 3 sets of 4 reps with my pull-ups. That 4th pull-up gets a bit ugly, but it's a good way to challenge myself. I have also increased reps on all my other body weight exercises by 5 (so doing 3 sets of 15 now - not amazing, but better than before). And lastly, I have added a fifth workout day to my week, opting to only have two days as off days (Monday and Friday). This, combined with my daily routine of meditation, list making, and a midnight bedtime, has me feeling pretty positive about my accomplishments. I know I will finish strong, and in a much better place than I was at the beginning of this challenge (and certainly better than where I was at the end of the previous challenge).

Now that things are getting back to normal, I also hope to be more active again in following others' challenges. I will strive to catch up and post in at least two other's challenge each day.

• Like 2

...I must give myself credit for succeeding where I did not in my last challenge. With the obvious disruption to my routine, this could have been a prime opportunity for me to get a bad case of the f-its, blow the missed daily goals out of proportion, and completely throw in the towel, condemning myself to not level up again. Instead, I'm staying positive, focusing on what I did accomplish despite the disruption (and I still did accomplish quite a lot), and now refocusing on what I must do to keep going and finish this challenge strong. It's also worth mentioning that I am doing more than I was when I started the challenge. I have moved up to doing 3 sets of 4 reps with my pull-ups. That 4th pull-up gets a bit ugly, but it's a good way to challenge myself. I have also increased reps on all my other body weight exercises by 5 (so doing 3 sets of 15 now - not amazing, but better than before). And lastly, I have added a fifth workout day to my week, opting to only have two days as off days (Monday and Friday). This, combined with my daily routine of meditation, list making, and a midnight bedtime, has me feeling pretty positive about my accomplishments. I know I will finish strong, and in a much better place than I was at the beginning of this challenge (and certainly better than where I was at the end of the previous challenge)....

Great gains, both mentally and physically.

• Like 1

Great gains, both mentally and physically.

Thanks for the support. I've delieberately been focusing on the mental aspects of this challenge. Especially when it comes to rebounding after a hardship. I think this just might be the most critical skill person can develop, period. Everything else is complimentary.

• Like 1

Nailed everything yesterday except for the bedtime. I'm finding that very difficult to do on Saturday nights.

I've been giving some more thought into what other kind of training I might like to expand into in the near future. I've already mentioned some of the ideas here: running, judo, boxing, rock climbing. I eventually came to the idea of rejoining aikido. Not so much that I am overly interested in aikido, but because I have trained with the local aikido group in the past and I know they would be a good group of people to connect with. It's recently come to my attention that all of my recreational and fitness pursuits are done alone, or with my family. If they are done in a group setting, I'm not actually connecting with anyone. It's just show up, follow along with the instruction, get a good workout, and go home. I don't connect, and these groups just don't strike me as the kind I would be interested in connecting with, even if I'm liking the activity itself. Outside of family, work, and a few neighbors, I really don't know or connect with anyone. Knowing that effective, resilient people are those who make connections, I feel I need to make a deliberate attempt to make connections.

Then today, while contemplating this line of thought, I had another idea. Why does connecting with people have to be aikido, or any other martial art, or even fitness related? It doesn't. I can simply find a group of people through something entirely different, like possibly an RPG group. There are groups in town. It appears to be a thriving community. I haven't been RPGing in years, but it is something I did enjoy. And something that interests far more than aikido does right now. So I think that's the route I will go. Not directly fitness related, but definitely well-being related, therefore still health related. It's something positive.

Today I plan to stop by a local gaming shop that hosts weekly events and see about joining in.  :orange:

• Like 2

Thanks for the support. I've delieberately been focusing on the mental aspects of this challenge. Especially when it comes to rebounding after a hardship. I think this just might be the most critical skill person can develop, period. Everything else is complimentary.

The mental aspects are something I struggle with, especially positivity and rolling with the punches.  I'm working on fitting them into my next challenge to switch things up a bit.

Nailed everything yesterday except for the bedtime. I'm finding that very difficult to do on Saturday nights.

I've been giving some more thought into what other kind of training I might like to expand into in the near future. I've already mentioned some of the ideas here: running, judo, boxing, rock climbing. I eventually came to the idea of rejoining aikido. Not so much that I am overly interested in aikido, but because I have trained with the local aikido group in the past and I know they would be a good group of people to connect with. It's recently come to my attention that all of my recreational and fitness pursuits are done alone, or with my family. If they are done in a group setting, I'm not actually connecting with anyone. It's just show up, follow along with the instruction, get a good workout, and go home. I don't connect, and these groups just don't strike me as the kind I would be interested in connecting with, even if I'm liking the activity itself. Outside of family, work, and a few neighbors, I really don't know or connect with anyone. Knowing that effective, resilient people are those who make connections, I feel I need to make a deliberate attempt to make connections.

Then today, while contemplating this line of thought, I had another idea. Why does connecting with people have to be aikido, or any other martial art, or even fitness related? It doesn't. I can simply find a group of people through something entirely different, like possibly an RPG group. There are groups in town. It appears to be a thriving community. I haven't been RPGing in years, but it is something I did enjoy. And something that interests far more than aikido does right now. So I think that's the route I will go. Not directly fitness related, but definitely well-being related, therefore still health related. It's something positive.

Today I plan to stop by a local gaming shop that hosts weekly events and see about joining in.  :orange:

I've been told that human beings are social creatures, but I've never been much for social activity.  Coming from a closeted introvert, who neither desires social contact nor enjoys it, the two factors that have made the hugest impact on improving my life, and more specifically my fitness, were joining a CrossFit gym and finding my way to Nerd Fitness.  Being a part of a community of like-minded folks who support and encourage each other turned out to be exactly what I need to keep moving forward and striving to improve.

It might sound strange, and I still rarely socialize outside of the gym, but I keep going back for more.  I even socialize a bit when I'm there.  Couldn't be happier!

• Like 1