• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

basscrack

Even in these chains, you can't stop [Basscrack]

[Explicit]

I have been a long time away from NF, and a long time putting fitness on the back burner. It's time that I stop letting my excuses pile up and hold me down. It's time to stop letting the greedy little piggy whisper in my ear. I am the wolf, so let the games begin.

Rule 1) Run 3x A Week [sTA +5]

Rule 2) No Booze. [CON +5]

Rule 3) Update 3x A Week. [WIS +2]

Rule 4) Create A Routine. [WIS +3]

These chains are heavy, if I'm going get them off it's going to happen one link at a time.

• Like 2

I really wanted to keep my first post short and sweet, keep the clutter down so my simple goals stand out starkly. No avoiding those bastards. Now I will elaborate a little.

First of all, I used to be a Ranger. WAAAAY back in the day. I decided to switch to the Assassins for my grand return because my long-er term fitness goals fit in better with this guild. I want to build up my agility, get fast and get good at moving my body. It has historically been my weakness. I have stubborn strength and in the past I have worked on endurance over speed.

There's not much to pinpoint about my fall from fitness, but most recently I have been deeply depressed. I lay in bed until it is time to go to work then come home and get back into bed. Lots of factors contribute to my depression, and anxiety is the ugly half-sister of my ailment that keeps stealing my shovel. I need it to dig myself out of the hole I have buried myself in. I just changed jobs (which ultimately is a big step forward), but the change in my routine and starting over from scratch at a new place mean it isn't an instant attitude fix. It also isn't a quarter as physical as my last job, so it is becoming crucial to get myself active so I don't turn into a smelly fat useless blob. This is what brings me to my goals for this challenge and the reason I am back on NF. I haven't been able to find the motivation to actually DO something, as much as I keep telling myself I need to. I'm hoping an active community of like-minded individuals will help me find my passion again, and a challenge with concrete goals will give me something to strive for. I'm starting all over, so little baby building blocks for my first challenge back.

Which is why rule one is a pretty simple fitness goal. Running is the easiest of all my workouts because it requires little more planning or thought than making sure my phone is charged for music and finding my running shoes. The less I have to think or prep, the more likely it is I will get off my lazy butt and do it.

Rule two was created for a couple reasons. Lately, drinking has been expensive, a crutch, and tied to a lot of pretty terrible decision making. I quit drinking for a month not too long ago, which had some pretty positive effects I think, so I am ready for another reset. Plus, a lot of empty calories and not much for nutrition in beer.

Rule three of course is all tied to keeping myself accountable so I can't slack off during this challenge. Have to make a goal based on following the rules of the challenge is a little silly, but not keeping up with updating my thread is a lot of the reason I failed on some of my old challenges. Even if it's a quick, "I ran today, I didn't drink, and look, I'm updating!" It's better than nothing.

Rule four is intended to end this challenge with something I can carry into the next one. A lot of the reason I have had a really hard time getting up and out is because any time I think about going to the gym I go, "but what would I do there?" That uncertainty and hesitation is enough to keep me from going. The tiniest obstacles sometimes form the biggest walls for me, which is pretty dumb. So by the end of this challenge, I intend to have created a 5-6 day a week workout plan to implement at the end of the challenge.

That's all folks, ta ta for now.

• Like 3

Glad to see you started a challenge thread!  I saw another post you had about wanting a routine to follow and one day wanting to get into law enforcement.  I found this PDF from the Las Vegas police department with a 12 week routine to prep for their academy.  You might like it.  Some running, some stretching, some bodyweight stuff, and some lifting.

I don't do much running any more, but I would be interested in trying a parkour class.  I don't know of any in the Norfolk/VB/Ches area, though.

Let me know if you want to go do a playground workout sometime.  I can bring my kids so we don't stand out so much!

• Like 2

Thanks for the encouragement guys! Even though the challenge hasn't started yet, I did hit the gym late last night for some sprint intervals. This has been a hard restart but I just keep trying to remind myself it will get easier if I keep it up.

Thanks for the link, tenaciousglee. I might modify my goals to specifically follow that routine, it seems pretty dummy-proof and definitely the kind of simple but specific layout I was looking for. The starting point of fitness for week one is definitely on my level. Great find! Also, totally down to hit Trashmore one day to make giant fools of ourselves.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link, tenaciousglee. I might modify my goals to specifically follow that routine, it seems pretty dummy-proof and definitely the kind of simple but specific layout I was looking for. The starting point of fitness for week one is definitely on my level. Great find! Also, totally down to hit Trashmore one day to make giant fools of ourselves.

Sweet! Glad you like the routine and I hope it suits you as well as motivates you!

Hi! I was just browsing around the forums a bit, checking threads. When i saw your very clear setup I read on and when I read this sentence; 

Lots of factors contribute to my depression, and anxiety is the ugly half-sister of my ailment that keeps stealing my shovel.
there was such a strong feeling of recognition. So i'm in for the ride. You've got this :) One link at a time.
  • Like 1

Welcome aboard, KB Girl! I definitely don't have the most interesting challenge going this time around, but at least it is simple. I think debilitating depression and anxiety is definitely a common roadblock that a lot of us struggle with, it's always nice to have people on our side to help us over.

• Like 1

Following because I too am cutting back on booze for this challenge. Best of luck with your running too -- running is the best! (Best bit of running advice I give to people who are afraid they won't make it out for runs: sleep in your running clothes, or at least lay them out the night before.)

• Like 1

194d9f1e3dc7852be82360fce73adadf.jpg

Hey good goals and I hope to see you stick with it. I recently came back after a year and half away myself.

I struggle with depression myself so I know how much it can crawl in and mess up alot of aspects of your life.

Please update as much as you want. I personally use mine as a diary almost even small updates like you said are good.

P.s ITM is a badass band and that song is awesome!! :D

• Like 2

Thanks guys!

Pavowski: The booze goal is a huge personal one for me, I've made a lot of really terrible alcohol-related decisions, it's something I need to get control over again. Definitely willing to keep someone else accountable, too! This is certainly the kind of thing that is easier to do with support. One of the biggest lessons I am trying to teach myself (and was trying to teach myself last time I stopped drinking) is that I can be social and have a good time without alcohol. I can even be around people who are drinking in a setting where drinking is typical and still not NEED to drink. That way, when (maybe if) I start drinking again, moderation is much easier to achieve when I'm not pounding drinks to overcome my social awkwardness.

Leviathan: It is definitely encouraging to know that other people have taken breaks or fallen off and are getting back on the horse. It's even more encouraging to know that we are accepted and forgiven for our lapses and so easily welcomed back when it is time to try again. I made updating 3x a week intending for it to be a minimum, that way I don't get overwhelmed by guilt-ridden anxiety if I don't get a post in every day. This one is definitely going to be a very personal journey, as I think I have more mental demons to slay on this challenge than I do physical ones. I really appreciate the support. And ITM does kick ass, they have been my obsession and I have seriously related to so many of their songs lately. I've been dipping a little more into my dark side lately.

• Like 1

Hey you definitely are not alone I know within the last 2 challenges myself, wolfenstein, nuala, wolverine(dillpedo) have all just come back after a long time away. I am sure there are more coming in. You are here now and thats all that matters. We are glad to have you and I hope you slay those demons because I know they are very hard to pin down. Good luck :)

• Like 2

1. It's not stalking if you're an Assassin, it's "assassining".

2. Glad to see you've joined a real guild. ;)

3. We gel (again) this challenge.  We should totally (virtually) hang out.

But seriously... you and I are twinsies for our comeback tours. Dealing with some of the same shit in much of the same ways. I got your back, bro(ette).

• Like 2

LMAO! I love the banter going on :)

As Leviathan said, I came back last challenge after being gone about a year in a half as well. Life just got in the way and I lost site of why I loved NF so much. I'm glad Wolverine (Dillpedo) is back and Leviathan and I became buds last challenge! You're goals are simple and too the point, I like it a lot, because they can be tracked pretty easily and are obtainable at that! As you come back and join the Assassins, I meander over to the Rangers because my goals line up more with them these days. I'm glad ya found me over there!

Between all your new and old friends, we should all be able to help you get together a solid training plan that can carry you over into the next couple challenges! I love to do programming for workouts so maybe we can combine forces and get you doing stuff that's not only fun, but helpful as well?! Subbing to see total comeback kickassery!

P.S. You could totally take Dillpedo ;)

P.S.S. I saw "wolf" under your tags for your thread..was that for meeeee? :) :) (I know it's not, lol, but no hard feelings-it just got me excited!) To be "The Wolf" one must become "Wolflean" (my brand/original username on the Boards)1st!

Wolf

• Like 1

gallery_7237_1919_786895.gif

Jerk.

She totally could. ;)

Much love for ya brotha! It's only because your mutant pirate assassin healing factor hasn't truly kicked in yet

Wolf

"Let the Boomstick do the talking."

• Like 1

So first update of the challenge: I haven't run yet this week and I already had one drink. There's still plenty of the week left to go, though, so the runs will happen. I took a day trip to DC with my best friend to see our favorite band and had one gin and tonic during the concert. It was a dumb decision; it was super expensive and pretty small and I barely felt any of the alcohol because I'm a professional drinker and it was tiny, but DAMN did it taste good after walking 8 miles around DC in the heat all day. So I'm forgiving myself for that one and saying no more. Off to a wonderful start.  :numbness:

LMAO! I love the banter going on :)

As Leviathan said, I came back last challenge after being gone about a year in a half as well. Life just got in the way and I lost site of why I loved NF so much. I'm glad Wolverine (Dillpedo) is back and Leviathan and I became buds last challenge! You're goals are simple and too the point, I like it a lot, because they can be tracked pretty easily and are obtainable at that! As you come back and join the Assassins, I meander over to the Rangers because my goals line up more with them these days. I'm glad ya found me over there!

Between all your new and old friends, we should all be able to help you get together a solid training plan that can carry you over into the next couple challenges! I love to do programming for workouts so maybe we can combine forces and get you doing stuff that's not only fun, but helpful as well?! Subbing to see total comeback kickassery!

P.S. You could totally take Dillpedo ;)

P.S.S. I saw "wolf" under your tags for your thread..was that for meeeee? :) :) (I know it's not, lol, but no hard feelings-it just got me excited!) To be "The Wolf" one must become "Wolflean" (my brand/original username on the Boards)1st!

Wolf

Honestly, with all my OCR work I probably fit better in the Rangers, but the Assassins possess skills I badly want to learn and hone, so this is my new home. Even though I'm only focusing on running this time around.

And the wolf tag referred to the song in my first post, haha. Well, and that my character is now a werewolf, going for a little symbolism with the shapeshifter thing.

gallery_7237_1919_786895.gif

Jerk.

She totally could. ;)

Damn right. Also, I must show you my OCR team logo that I drew, you might actually be one of the few people to get it.

mudswallow_zpslqmmog9n.jpg

• Like 4

As I'm thinking of new challenge goals for the next challenge I am going to put them down here so I have them stored somewhere. My head is notoriously unreliable storage, I'm awesome at coming up with brilliant ideas then completely forgetting them before I can execute. 

Totally want to steal Raptron's procrastisnacking goal. +1 point for adulting, -1 point for snacking. Along those lines, I would eventually like to overhaul my entire diet, as I have fallen into the pit of eating terrible food at inconsistent times in inconsistent amounts due to being broke and depressed. I have ingested way too much ramen and spaghetti with meatballs. With the new job comes a bigger paycheck and the ability to buy real food again. So food related goals will be in my future.

I also am going to dedicate myself to the mini-challenge for an opportunity to broaden my fitness horizons, especially since I'm keeping my fitness goals stupidly simple this time around. I was considering changing my running goal to follow the workout plan tenaciousglee posted, but the key to this challenge is just to force myself to do SOMETHING. Once I get good at doing SOMETHING then I can focus in on doing the right things.

• Like 1

Lol that an African swallow or a European swallow? Nice logo :) also i feel you on the Ramen thing, i like to cook some chicken filets in a skillet and mix it with the ramen after its been drained. Adds a lil more consistancy and some flavor. Also i drown mine in hot sauce which isnt too good for you but helps in a pinch. #thuglife

Lol that an African swallow or a European swallow? Nice logo :) also i feel you on the Ramen thing, i like to cook some chicken filets in a skillet and mix it with the ramen after its been drained. Adds a lil more consistancy and some flavor. Also i drown mine in hot sauce which isnt too good for you but helps in a pinch. #thuglife

It's a swole-low. (That stupid video on Dill's thread is stuck). Lol.

So working out still really sucks. It probably has a lot to do with how long I have been out of the habit, since I keep expecting to be able to perform at the level I used to and I'm just not there anymore, and the crap food I'm using to fuel my body. I'm also not hydrating properly, so I'm getting plagued by cramps. I just had an idea to change goal #4 to a personal mini-challenge goal, where each week I assign myself a mini-challenge for the week. This'll give me a chance to give some new goals a test run and build some better habits without overloading myself with too many goals for the whole six weeks. This will go into effect on week 2!

Today (which I'm still counting as Thursday because I haven't gone to bed yet) I ran two miles and did the Away Team WOW for the Starship Nerdiprise challenge. It was sloppy and embarrassing, luckily I'm at an empty gym at 3am.

No more booze this week.

• Like 1

In the gym at 3 AM? What is this life?

Good on ya for getting the workout in. Setbacks are the worst, and being unable to perform at a previous level can really be tough. But don't focus on that -- focus on the work that you're able to do, and do it the best you can.