• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

basscrack

Even in these chains, you can't stop [Basscrack]

Last challenge MadHatter did something I really loved, i don't remember the exact rules but basically she tried to stop thinking "if only". As in, if only i'd just kept workout out think of where I could have been now. Or "this used to be so easy" and getting frustrated with that. 

We gotta compare with ourselves, but better not to compare with where we were ages ago or where we think we ought to be. It's hard, but prevents tons of frustration.

• Like 1

It's a swole-low. (That stupid video on Dill's thread is stuck). Lol.

So working out still really sucks. It probably has a lot to do with how long I have been out of the habit, since I keep expecting to be able to perform at the level I used to and I'm just not there anymore, and the crap food I'm using to fuel my body. I'm also not hydrating properly, so I'm getting plagued by cramps. I just had an idea to change goal #4 to a personal mini-challenge goal, where each week I assign myself a mini-challenge for the week. This'll give me a chance to give some new goals a test run and build some better habits without overloading myself with too many goals for the whole six weeks. This will go into effect on week 2!

Today (which I'm still counting as Thursday because I haven't gone to bed yet) I ran two miles and did the Away Team WOW for the Starship Nerdiprise challenge. It was sloppy and embarrassing, luckily I'm at an empty gym at 3am.

No more booze this week.

If you enjoyed the 10 Bicep Machines video (which apparently you did) you should stop by Tyrsnbdr's thread in the Warriors.  He's been going full bro all summer.

And good for you for hitting the gym even though it still sucks.  It will suck a little less next time!  I also love your new mini-challenge idea.  Sounds like my "test drive" goal. I often find it very hard to pinpoint just 1 or 2 (or 4) things that I want to focus on, so give yourself a chance to try a few things out and you be that much better prepared for the next challenge.

• Like 1

In the gym at 3 AM? What is this life?

Good on ya for getting the workout in. Setbacks are the worst, and being unable to perform at a previous level can really be tough. But don't focus on that -- focus on the work that you're able to do, and do it the best you can.

I love having a 24 hour gym. Odd hours of the night/morning may be my new favorite time to work out. Which might be a little difficult on work days...

Last challenge MadHatter did something I really loved, i don't remember the exact rules but basically she tried to stop thinking "if only". As in, if only i'd just kept workout out think of where I could have been now. Or "this used to be so easy" and getting frustrated with that. 

We gotta compare with ourselves, but better not to compare with where we were ages ago or where we think we ought to be. It's hard, but prevents tons of frustration.

Yeah, I'm trying not to sink into a pit of negativity (hard with my current overarching mindset these days). Fortunately, the observation that working out is so much harder than it used to be was more retrospective - while I was working out I mostly was just focusing on pushing and trying to do more, or better, or whatever. It wasn't until I finished that I was like, "Man, that was really hard. And I didn't accomplish nearly as much as I used to. This sucks." I'm not going to let it stop me, though. I just keep reminding myself that it will be a little easier next time, and the only way to get back where I was (and even further) is to keep at it.

If you enjoyed the 10 Bicep Machines video (which apparently you did) you should stop by Tyrsnbdr's thread in the Warriors.  He's been going full bro all summer.

And good for you for hitting the gym even though it still sucks.  It will suck a little less next time!  I also love your new mini-challenge idea.  Sounds like my "test drive" goal. I often find it very hard to pinpoint just 1 or 2 (or 4) things that I want to focus on, so give yourself a chance to try a few things out and you be that much better prepared for the next challenge.

Haha, I checked out his thread and that is hilarious. I might have to start following for ridiculous bro stuff. 

I came up with it because I keep thinking of other goals I want to incorporate, and each of my updates feels a little light. I don't want to modify and add a bunch of extra stuff because I know I will get overwhelmed and fade out. Switching a different small singular goal a week seems to be the answer. I think I'm going to start with a water goal next week. I want to get an IF and adulting goal in at some point, too. Potentially one involving packing work lunches every day with healthier food. 

• Like 1

I like the mini-challenge idea per week. Definitely adds more flavor and gives you more opportunities to kick ass at your challenge. Totally on board to spread the fight against the snack monster (though damn if it isn't a hard fight). 

One thing I find helpful for getting into the gym when I'm restarting the habit or really just being a brat about lack of progress, lack of motivation, etc. is to really attack the "I don't want to" phrase in my head. Self talk goes along the lines of..." You don't HAVE to want to go. It's not about WANTING to go. It's about going. It's about putting in the work and the time and the effort. Want has nothing to do with it. You don't have to want the workout to want the process. If your workout isn't better today than it was before, it sure as hell won't get any better next time if you skip this time" and so on.

Reframing workouts as not something I have to WANT to do to reap the benefits from really helps, in my experience. 

• Like 3

You don't HAVE to want to go. It's not about WANTING to go. It's about going.

I like this.  Dillbro approved.

Much reframing going on in my life right now!

• Like 1